Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The sense I got from The Dispossessed was that it was concerned with showing how this society had a completely different set of problems than our own, and letting the nature of those problems and what they affected speak for itself -- basically an honest, non-rhetorical "is this not better?"

Which is just another way of saying that's it's well-written utopian fiction.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I'm pretty sure Omelas is directed at Western, first-world civilization in general, but whether it's an outright condemnation or not I don't know.

EDIT: That is to say, it doesn't represent us, it represents something better than us that's still deeply unsettling and horrifying.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

General Battuta posted:

LeGuin is one of the few writers whose prose gets more and more impressive the more you learn about writing. As a naive teenager I was like 'eh, this is fine workmanlike stuff', but no, turns out, she's a genius!

Nah there are lots of authors like that. Most of them just don't write fantasy.

As a huge nerd I do still appreciate the rarity of that combination, though. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

That quote's from Genry's point of view, isn't it? Before he learned much about the world, even.

• Locked thread