Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot
Couple other good ones:

The collection "Three Hainish Novels" is a personal favorite. It's like comfort food to me. An otherworldly adventure trilogy that's sort of classic pulp/early new wave hybrid. Easy reading, highly entertaining adventure written in light, elegant prose. More reminiscent of Leigh Brackett than any other book of hers.

"The Word for the World is Forest" is a harsh, unapologetic take on classic he-men and their love of domination, taking place on a pristine planet being pillaged by a militarized earth. So if you read it, goons, you can have the pleasure of adding it to the "oh that was just like dances with wolves" list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot
Delaney was I think kind of imitative of Le Guin in at least one novel, or was heavily influenced. And of course in his books people were of all different ethnicities. I think he was painfully aware that the vast majority of his readership was caucasian and that influenced his choice in his protagonists, among other things.

Perhaps this thread could be expanded to the broader topic of new wave science fiction? I don't imagine there's going to be a helluva lot of discussion on Ms. Le Guin and I'm afraid this thread isn't going to flourish that much without a broader participation. And I'd like to talk and hear others on some of my favorites growing up.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

Aphra Bane posted:

This thread inspired me to finally pick up my copy of The Left Hand of Darkness I've had lying around for years and give it a try. Thanks thread! It's an incredible book. I definitely recommend it for anyone wanting to check out Le Guin's non-Earthsea books but don't know where to start.
Now I'm interested in looking at some of the other novels in the Hainish Cycle. I've heard lots of praise for The Dispossessed, but the rest of the novels/short stories seem to be less loved. Anyone have an opinion on them?

Yeah. Like I said upthread, "Three Hainish Novels" is really compelling, and together they read like a trilogy. They're also pretty easy reading, and kinda comparable to a number of her contemporary science fiction authors. And BTW, I just caught a glimpse of some documentary about a particular species of primate that share a "song" throughout their adult lives, and it immediately reminded me of "The Word for the World is Forest," that being one of the traits of the Hainish species that inhabit that world. I immediately begin to suspect she was extrapolating from them or another similar species.

BTW, I once read a short by her, as one half of one of those old, old dimestore books where it's two novellas, one printed upside-down and each one having its own front page, I think they were called flip-flops or something. We're talking 50s and 60s here. But it was her most despairing work I've read, and reminded me thematically of Bowie's song, "Life on Mars" but never really went anywhere, felt like an unfinished work to me. It was "The Rise of the Atlanteans" or something. Probably one of her less noteworthy ones, just thought I'd see if anybody remembered it. It kind of matches my mood sometimes.

I'm afraid my next old scifi read is going to be Leigh Brackett. I just discovered what an apparently pivotal role she played in American writing also. Both Star Wars and Firefly make not so subtle references to her, it seems.

The Moon Monster posted:

One thing I really like about her books is the sense of loneliness.
Agreed. And the idea that the courage to stand alone is at least as meaningful as the courage to stand together with companions to hold you up. That's a recurrent theme. One of the stories in "Three Hainish Novels" takes place in a harsh winter setting, bringing up a similar feel to that long snow passage in "Left Hand of Darkness."

SnakePlissken fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Dec 31, 2013

• Locked thread