Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Every good sport deserves a good anime and Yowapeda (Yowamushi Pedal) is cycling's anime. A shouen manga adaptation by TMS, the suitably silly premise centers on Sakamichi Onoda, a friendless otaku who got in the habit of biking 40km a week to Akihabara as a middle schooler. This habit has a side effect of making him a very good cyclist, and he's scouted by a member of the cycling club once he enters high school. He goes on to not only learn how to bike faster, but also make friends! :buddy:

As you might guess, this show doesn't mess with the formula countless other boy's sports shows have done before, but it doesn't really need to. It's clear that the writers know at least enough about bikes to make a show about them, and the inevitable drawn out explanations of why one character is going faster now or why they're slowing down makes sense. The show also knows exactly when to exaggerate something, such a moment where Onoda shifts gears for the first time and the screen flashes as if he activated some kind of magical power. There's also a nice cast of weirdos based off of different aspects of cycling.

I don't know poo poo about cycling, but to my eye the show is serious about getting the sport right while at the same time not taking itself too seriously. If that sounds like a good time to you, check it out!

Streaming on Crunchyroll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

This show owns and anyone who isn't a fan of sports anime should also give it a shot.

It's not doing anything new, but it's executing it quite well, and in a genre that doesn't have a lot of entries to boot. And the characters are pretty entertaining already.

Also they did a surprisingly nice job with the animation on the biking itself, the CG isn't really obtrusive or anything.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I was wondering if a thread would show up. I absolutely love this show, and all of the characters are great, even the otaku stand in protagonist.

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
I started watching this and it's great. I hate watching sport anime that doesn't take a realistic approach in the sporting aspect, but this show does not do that at all, explaining various important concepts that are actually real in cycling already very well(drafting, cadence). It's pretty cool to see the granny bike get souped up more and more.

It would be good to see him keep the anime otaku aspect of him throughout the entire show though, and not have him give it up due to his new found interest in biking.

His name Sakamichi(坂道) actually means slope(of a hill).

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

This certainly is an uplifting show, way better than I expected, as well. Extremely impressed with the explanations for different concepts.

...It also makes me feel bad for not being able to afford a bike for racing (My current one is a 24-gear one but it has a heavy frame, not intended for sports at all). Been thinking of taking up cycling to replace some of my running. Then again it's imposible to ride a bike competitively in the cold North for easily four to five months a year so it'd probably crush my soul if I got into it.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
I was a bit surprised, but this is one of my favorites this season. I am a fan of sports anime, but I think Yowapeda has enough non-sports content to be enjoyed by non-fans. Mostly, everything's just executed really well, like everyone's saying. The characters and the plot are fun and it's visually quite vibrant. It's not super-original, but there's nothing painfully overdone, either. It's fresh enough to stay enjoyable.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

XboxPants posted:

It's not super-original, but there's nothing painfully overdone, either. It's fresh enough to stay enjoyable.

Episode 4 was painfully overdone. The show is just a bit too slow and cheesy (i.e. shounen-y). And since there's only a 0.00001% chance they talk about PEDs, I don't think there's enough substance here to justify the time, at least for non-sports anime fans.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I've watched like 2 sports anime ever (if Free! even counts) and I'm loving this show. Yea secondfourth episode was a bit cheesy and shounen-y, but that's only because it introduced the cheesiest and most shounen-y character of the show.

e: VV Considering that this is confirmed for 39 episodes, maybe the slow pace is necessary to spread the content out a bit more. I haven't had too much of an issue with the pacing, though I will admit that it is relatively slow.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 31, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I'm finding that the anime is a bit too slow-paced to hold my attention. Have any of you guys checked out the manga? I find that the manga is much better paced. And while the character art is kind of wonky-looking, you can really feel the :ssj: HOT BLOOD :kamina: when the scratchy action lines start to kick in.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The sound effect this show uses for shifting is really horrible. I keep thinking their rear derailleur has gone into their spokes and their bike is about to be ruined.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Also one of my favorites this season. I actually ended up reading the entire manga thus far after the first few episodes.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

DrSunshine posted:

I'm finding that the anime is a bit too slow-paced to hold my attention. Have any of you guys checked out the manga? I find that the manga is much better paced. And while the character art is kind of wonky-looking, you can really feel the :ssj: HOT BLOOD :kamina: when the scratchy action lines start to kick in.

Yeah, I was kind of disappointed in how slow the speed they showed them cycling in. Come on it's shounen, no need to restrict it to realism! Give us some speed action, not this piddly barely moving stream that we're getting right now!

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
I remember watching the last cycling anime a few years back and liking it so I decided to watch this and am liking so far.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Taking bets on how long the beginners road race is going to take. My guess is the rest of the season. And I will enjoy every episode :buddy:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

Taking bets on how long the beginners road race is going to take. My guess is the rest of the season. And I will enjoy every episode :buddy:

We're already halfway too. This is confirmed 1-cour isn't it.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

The latest episode had a bit after the credits that wasn't in the manga (actually I think all of them did). I think it's hilarious how Onoda is getting Imaizumi into Love Hime, even though he doesn't really get it. :allears:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

We're already halfway too. This is confirmed 1-cour isn't it.

Not even close. 39 episodes.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

Not even close. 39 episodes.

Oh, pfft. We'll get three arcs out of this then, probably.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
New ep! We aren't even up the hill yet but we've already introduced three side characters, and got a monologue about how bicycles are a motorcycle powered by the heart. When informed that it will likely be impossible for him to catch up with everyone else, the main character made Shinji face. I love this poo poo.

devtesla fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 18, 2013

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Are cap girl and the arrogant guy even side characters? I thought they were just random people.

Despite almost nothing happening, this episode owned.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

Despite almost nothing happening, this episode owned.

The hallmark of a good shonen.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I'm liking how Onoda's basically got his own cheer van.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
New ep! THEY DIDN'T EVEN MAKE IT UP THE MOUNTAIN :lol:. The pace does work, largely because they never repeat themselves in the same episode, so all is good. Imaizumi's best friend is a bicycle.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Couple episodes ago but...

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

I'm liking how Onoda's basically got his own cheer van.

Aren't they supposed to be the chase van? Sure hope no one has a breakdown or falls off their bike and gets hurt or, heck, is someone new to competitive biking who tires themselves out on this marathon and can't continue.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

BOD BOY

Roflfox
Jan 29, 2008

Your one and only, scorching laser light
This show is so loving intense and I absolutely love it. I picked it up on a whim but the rate at which this show won me over has been unbelievable. Naruko is like the most ultimate bro, it should be illegal to be this brotastic.

Watching 9 now and HIME HIME being the deciding factor in the mountaintop race is funnier than I could ever express in words. This loving show.

edit:

OH MY GOD I CAN'T HANDLE THIS THE BRO LEVELS ARE OFF THE CHART

ee: The post-credits sequence is gold.

Roflfox fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 3, 2013

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I haven't beenosting about it much but this show is stil really good. This week was particularly good because the villain introduction is kind of wonderful.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Oh my god, haha, they actually released the "Love Hime" theme as a single!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Newest episode gives a brief profile on the other two major teams and their notable members.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

Oh my god, haha, they actually released the "Love Hime" theme as a single!

Does it include a karaoke version of it?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Dessel posted:

Does it include a karaoke version of it?

Sadly no, it doesn't have Onoda singing off-key and loudly, which was the best part in the anime, so it's actually pretty horrible!

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
I've already forgotten, what was jacked up about Onoda's bike? Something about the wheels, right? Or the tires?

DrSunshine posted:

Sadly no, it doesn't have Onoda singing off-key and loudly, which was the best part in the anime, so it's actually pretty horrible!

Excellent, that's just how it should be.

Roflfox
Jan 29, 2008

Your one and only, scorching laser light

XboxPants posted:

I've already forgotten, what was jacked up about Onoda's bike? Something about the wheels, right? Or the tires?

Heavier wheels with bad balance. Makishima explains at about the 18 minute mark in episode 12.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Character doesn't speak for a season an a half and the first thing out of his mouth:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

Character doesn't speak for a season an a half and the first thing out of his mouth:

He actually spoke in the previous episode iirc.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I've been watching this show since the beginning and just wanted to pop in and say that it's just about the gayest thing.

There's really no other way to describe it.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I've been watching this show since the beginning and just wanted to pop in and say that it's just about the gayest thing.

There's really no other way to describe it.

Gay sports anime is basically it's own genre. As gay as Yowamushi Pedal is, it has nothing on Oofuri. It's a baseball anime that focuses on the relationship between a timid yet talented pitcher and a strong willed catcher. One plotline has the catcher afraid that the pitcher will return to his old team, despite the fact that they don't appreciate the pitcher the way as he does.

So yea, gay sports anime is basically the best.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Whereas lighthearted SoL has shoujo-ai undertones (or in rare cases, overtones), Boy's Sports anime has shonen-ai undertones. That's how it always has been and probably how it will always be. It's also the case in any cast that's predominantly one gender or another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I resent your accusations that such bonds forged through pure shonen burning spirits could be anything besides transcending the concepts of homogay into something even greater.

• Locked thread