Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roflfox
Jan 29, 2008

Your one and only, scorching laser light
The thread title was 1000% relevant this week. :getin:

I gotta say, the post episode segments have been some of the best in recent memory. From the beginning with Imaizumi slowly falling to the glory of HIME HIME to the random offbeat character moments I have yet to watch one and not laugh like an idiot.

e: THE WRONG WORD

Roflfox fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Roflfox posted:

The thread title was 1000% relative this week. :getin:

I gotta say, the post episode segments have been some of the best in recent memory. From the beginning with Imaizumi slowly falling to the glory of HIME HIME to the random offbeat character moments I have yet to watch one and not laugh like an idiot.

Oh my god, I have to go back and watch all of them now. I watched this one on a whim, and it owned.

Also, I think you mean "relevant".

mystes
May 31, 2006

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I've been watching this show since the beginning and just wanted to pop in and say that it's just about the gayest thing.
Counterpoint: the part in the Overdrive manga where they apparently get carried away shaving the protagonist's legs.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Aw, when you said gay, I got excited and thought you'd reached this part:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
That guy is great.

Abs! Abs! Abs abs abs ABS ABS!!!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Free! needed some competition for best abs, and it got some.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
This week's episode was fun, but drat that cliffhanger for making us wait a week to see them cross the line.

Are all of you watching Ace of the Diamond too? It goes great with Yowamushi Pedal, like a shonen sports hour of power to get you pumped for the week. So much burning spirit.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

pandaK posted:

I resent your accusations that such bonds forged through pure shonen burning spirits could be anything besides transcending the concepts of homogay into something even greater.

There is no bond greater than sports anime gay :colbert:

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

I fell an episode or two behind on all of the current shows I was watching, but after finally catching up I've noticed that Yowapeda is actually one of my favorites. I don't know when exactly it happened, but somewhere along the line it really grew on me. The music in particular is fantastic and I spend a good 15 minutes or so of each episode grinning like an idiot.

I probably won't be starting any new series until all the current shows I'm watching end, but does anyone have any recommendations for sports anime with a similar feel to Yowapeda? It's the first sports show I've really watched and I'm frankly pretty shocked that I'm enjoying it as much as I am.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Hajime no Ippo is a great gateway drug for sports anime. And ignoring the sport itself the premise is kinda similar! A friendless guy learns that he's actually really talented at a thing and makes friends while doing it (And a lot of people have their own style/gimmicks with said thing). Ippo also has the added bonus of having some pretty sick scenes in which people get punched in the face.

The manga has gone on for a long, long time but the anime adaptions are all fantastic and each season has picked a good place to stop at.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

You could try Eyeshield 21. It's got a great sense of "rushing forward" and a feeling of teamwork like in One Piece. The blood isn't quite as hot, but it's a lot of fun, and the art is fantastic!

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

glomkettle posted:

I probably won't be starting any new series until all the current shows I'm watching end, but does anyone have any recommendations for sports anime with a similar feel to Yowapeda? It's the first sports show I've really watched and I'm frankly pretty shocked that I'm enjoying it as much as I am.

Slam Dunk is the most classic of classics in the shounen sports genre. Can't go wrong with it, really. Manga is better (and continues further) than the anime, though.

For racing anime in particular, Initial D is top dog. Quite possibly the most addictive show ever made. Hideous art, but you get used to it (even the 3D CG!), and the soundtrack is awesome enough to offset it anyway.

For a quirky variation on the sports theme, my favourite is Hikaru no Go. You'd think an anime about a two-player board game would be stuffy and dull, but this is an exquisitely balanced work of true art. Countless are the people who watched this show and felt compelled to start playing the game.

Major, the baseball anime, is probably the best of the rest. Helps that it's completed, unlike Ippo, which is seemingly never-ending even after crossing the 100 volume line.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 5, 2014

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

darkgray posted:

Major, the baseball anime, is probably the best of the rest. Helps that it's completed, unlike Ippo, which is seemingly never-ending even after crossing the 100 volume line.

Hahaha, yeah, Major is pretty great. It's always fun to recommend that to people.

I'll second Eyeshield 21 as another sports anime that has a pretty similar feel, even if it's occasionally a little goofier. Probably one of the most similar fits, and a great show of course. Or if you want some sports anime gay, Prince of Tennis supplies that pretty well.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I mentioned it before, but the king of sports anime gay is Oofuri

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

glomkettle posted:

Slam Dunk is still the best. It's one of those rare case where pretty much everything works.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
New ep! Very glad to see we've gotten to the point where a character ditches a woman who's obviously into him to go ride bicycles.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

same

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Midousuji is the best character

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
There's somethin' wrong with that boy.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

paragon1 posted:

There's somethin' wrong with that boy.

What, do you have something against mixed race half-human half-chameleons? Are you some kind of racist? :colbert:

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

pandaK posted:

Midousuji is the best character

I always dig Japan's whole possession aesthetic. Way cooler than pea soup head spinning.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

What, do you have something against mixed race half-human half-chameleons? Are you some kind of racist? :colbert:

There are dozens of us!

DOZENS

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Unhappy Meal posted:

I always dig Japan's whole possession aesthetic. Way cooler than pea soup head spinning.

I don't understand this sequence of words. What?

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

pandaK posted:

I don't understand this sequence of words. What?

Midosuji's behavior is supposed to be evocative of someone who's possessed. "Headspinning Pea Soup" would be the sort of thing the US would think of for possession due to The Exorcist

Maelaevi
Sep 24, 2013
"I am become muscle, the destroyer of worlds." -Izumida

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

DrSunshine posted:

Look man, I ain't got nothin' against no chameleon folk. I just think that if they're going to participate in our road races they should assimilate properly. And stop drinking so much and playing their music so drat loud. :colbert:

attackbunny
May 1, 2009

Yes. Yes, he is.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Andy and Frank are my two favorite characters in this anime.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Dan7el posted:

Andy and Frank are my two favorite characters in this anime.

If you follow pro cycling those names are really funny.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

tylertfb posted:

If you follow pro cycling those names are really funny.

I don't think many of us do. What's the joke?

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Xelkelvos posted:

I don't think many of us do. What's the joke?

It refers to Andy and Frank Schleck, brothers from Luxembourg who are pros riding for the Trek Pro Racing team. Both are excellent climbers and probably the worst sprinters in the peloton, especially Andy. Here is a video of them getting owned by Philip Gilbert in a 3 way sprint, that they had no business losing (2 vs 1)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BizjxLt0Q2c&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Andy (the younger of the two) was basically the next big thing a few years ago, probably on the way to winning the Tour de France. In 2010 he and Alberto Contador were the to big favorites to win the overall. On stage 15 Andy (who was leading the Tour by a handful of seconds after Alberto got caught behind a crash on stage 3) was on the attack on one of the big climbs, getting close to dropping Alberto when he dropped his chain instead (mis-shifting or something) delaying him. It's kind of an unwritten rule in the peloton that you don't attack the race leader when he has a mechanical problem, but Alberto took off anyway (claiming he didn't know that Andy was having a problem) eventually winning the stage and taking the Yellow Jersey (for the leader) by 9 seconds. Andy was really pissed off after the stage, famously saying: "My stomach is full of anger and I will have my revenge", and most everybody thought Alberto was a dick for doing it. On stage 17 Andy and Alberto dropped the rest of the field on the final climb by a large distance effectively making the race for the overall between the two of them. As the stage wound down Andy kept trying to crack Alberto and won the stage, but he wasn't able to put any time into him. In the final Time Trial Alberto put 26 or so more seconds into Andy and solidified his grip on the overall, winning the race, with Andy in second.

Eventually Alberto would have the title stripped from him due to a doping violation, so Andy is in the books as the official winner of the 2010 TdF, but nobody really considers him the true winner.

Basically: Real Pro Cycling is almost as full of drama as Yowapeda.

tylertfb fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 25, 2014

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

tylertfb posted:

Basically: Real Pro Cycling is almost as full of drama as Yowapeda.

Hahaha, that's fantastic.

Do you know anything about how realistic their portrayal of the importance of your core body strength was? Also, do people ever talk at all during races like this? Obviously they're going to talk more in this show just so they can have a story, with dialogue, but it'd be nice to know whether all this race-chat is just an exaggeration, or something completely made up.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Oh, that's why Tadokoro looks like that. He's a genetic freak.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

XboxPants posted:

Hahaha, that's fantastic.

Do you know anything about how realistic their portrayal of the importance of your core body strength was? Also, do people ever talk at all during races like this? Obviously they're going to talk more in this show just so they can have a story, with dialogue, but it'd be nice to know whether all this race-chat is just an exaggeration, or something completely made up.

A lot of talking goes on during races. In the pros they chit-chat alot (about girls, cars, funny things they see on the side of the road, vacations, etc) in the peloton during the early parts of races where they're just cruising along, but in the breakaway (group of 4-10 guys that the peloton will let ride away before chasing them down during the closing stages of the race for...complicated reasons) they're riding too hard to say much more than 'go go go!', 'ok we have a gap, lets work together', 'take your pull!', 'lets work', etc etc. The team directors will also drive up in their cars and talk to their riders 'how are you feeling?', 'so and so is looking tired, lets pick up the pace and try and put him in trouble', etc etc. In amateur races I've been in it's mostly 'whoa whoa whoa' and 'hold your line' and 'hey!' in the field, and 'work together!' and 'pull through!' and 'smooth rotations!' etc in the breakaway.

P.S. here is the pro cycling thread on the forums. Some of the best racing of the year is coming up (the Spring Classics, one-day races held in Belgium and Northern France): http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3600421

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

As a person who seems to be into pro-cycling, what do you think of the anime (and possibly the manga if you've read it) so far? Are they accurate? Any inconsistencies?

Vagithug
Dec 27, 2012

by Ralp

paragon1 posted:

Oh, that's why Tadokoro looks like that. He's a genetic freak.

If there is an English dub they have to get Scott Steiner to voice him. They have too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

DrSunshine posted:

As a person who seems to be into pro-cycling, what do you think of the anime (and possibly the manga if you've read it) so far? Are they accurate? Any inconsistencies?

I'm actually only reading the manga (online) but heres my 2 cents: The way the race tactics are portrayed are mostly wildly unreal but the spirit of the whole thing is pretty much right on the money. Competitive cycling is a weird hybrid of individual performance and total teamwork, and the manga really manages to convey the feeling of riding yourself into the ground in service of your team leader, of wanting to push yourself past your limit, of hurting yourself to hurt other people, of temporary alliances that everybody gives their all to, even knowing that they are going to end in complete betrayal. So even if 'blocking' is not nearly as big of a thing as it is in the manga/show, and even if there is no way the three top sprinters go away from the peloton on a long distance breakaway and so forth and so forth, I'd say it gets the 'feeling' of competitive cycling almost exactly right. The bikes and other gear are also very faithful to the real things too.

• Locked thread