Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
I was a bit surprised, but this is one of my favorites this season. I am a fan of sports anime, but I think Yowapeda has enough non-sports content to be enjoyed by non-fans. Mostly, everything's just executed really well, like everyone's saying. The characters and the plot are fun and it's visually quite vibrant. It's not super-original, but there's nothing painfully overdone, either. It's fresh enough to stay enjoyable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

I've already forgotten, what was jacked up about Onoda's bike? Something about the wheels, right? Or the tires?

DrSunshine posted:

Sadly no, it doesn't have Onoda singing off-key and loudly, which was the best part in the anime, so it's actually pretty horrible!

Excellent, that's just how it should be.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

darkgray posted:

Major, the baseball anime, is probably the best of the rest. Helps that it's completed, unlike Ippo, which is seemingly never-ending even after crossing the 100 volume line.

Hahaha, yeah, Major is pretty great. It's always fun to recommend that to people.

I'll second Eyeshield 21 as another sports anime that has a pretty similar feel, even if it's occasionally a little goofier. Probably one of the most similar fits, and a great show of course. Or if you want some sports anime gay, Prince of Tennis supplies that pretty well.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

What, do you have something against mixed race half-human half-chameleons? Are you some kind of racist? :colbert:

There are dozens of us!

DOZENS

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

tylertfb posted:

Basically: Real Pro Cycling is almost as full of drama as Yowapeda.

Hahaha, that's fantastic.

Do you know anything about how realistic their portrayal of the importance of your core body strength was? Also, do people ever talk at all during races like this? Obviously they're going to talk more in this show just so they can have a story, with dialogue, but it'd be nice to know whether all this race-chat is just an exaggeration, or something completely made up.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

They mentioned going for the finish line in this episode - that's just the goal line for this day of the race, right? It's a multi-day race? How's that going to work, is it like qualifying for a starting position for the next day of the race? Or do they just add up the times, and you could actually finish first on the final day but still lose the race because you were too slow on previous legs?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

paragon1 posted:

ohhhh man don't do that sort of thing Todokoro it'll get you dead

Are you talking about the back of the building scene at the end? I did wonder whether that was just a "man he's really trying super hard and it sure is rough" scene, or a "we should really be worried 'cause he might be giving himself a serious medical problem" scene.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

KittyEmpress posted:

I kind of have the opposite opinion - I think that, personality aside, he's really annoying. He's an amazing sprinter, he's an amazing climber, he's the ace, he's a tactician, he can plan down to the second in hour + long races... it's boring. If he didn't act so loving crazy, he'd be one of the most boring villains ever.

I have hope we're about to learn more about him, he was saying something in the latest episode about "carrying a heavier burden" than the bunny-sprinter dude. Sounds like he may have some actual character issues other than just being cartoonishly crazy/evil.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Neeksy posted:

I like the final few ones, holy poo poo. The lightning effects what the hell is happening.

It's loving fantastic how it starts out with simple video clips, maybe some looped or reversed animation and then whoever's making them just gets more and more into it. I lost it at the censored faces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

RasputinVarez posted:

I haven't finished this anime yet, only a bit over half way through. It's been a long time since I've watched an anime, i tried getting into "Edge La Edge" as I liked Gurren Lagann but it was style over substance and had a bit too much fan-service of young girls (17 might be legal in my country, doesn't make it any less uncomfortable), and was too quick to go for the dumb joke instead of character development and storytelling, so i fond it shallow and uninteresting.

But this little "cute boys doing cute things" anime about bike racing really has rekindled my love of the occasional Anime. Character development and growth, storytelling, people working hard and getting rewarded for it, characters you can actually care about, good art (even with some pretty bad CGI at points)wow, this is one hell of an anime. I should look for more Animes like this, but when I asked on a board made for Animes, i was banned for "trolling" for using the word Animes... I am now looking at buying a good bicycle when i move to the city with a real job, and this anime helped me get back into fitness and jogging.

TL;DR: Basically, what i'm trying to say in the most Autistic way possible, is that this Anime is the one that has gotten me back into anime after years of being animeless, helped get me out of a bout of depression and continue with some courses i'm taking, helped me get back into fitness again, and has encouraged me to take up cycling soon. I like this anime a lot.

And now I need to get that Edward Elric model out of the box it's in and back on my shelf! Perhaps I should buy an Onoda figma...

The woman doing the translating for this has apparently been spending her time on the stage-show translation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F70A6oPNOeI
oh god what the gently caress this is retarded...

Both Haikyu!! and Baby Steps are very good (for different reasons) and currently airing right now. Haikyu!! is probably more similar to Yowapeda, so try that out first. Eyeshield 21 is also along the same vein, I'd give that a try as well.

• Locked thread