Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Very cool thread that brings back a ton of memories. Does anyone know if Mechwarrior 2 and its expansions (Ghost Bear Legacy) are available to purchase on any legitimate site like gog.com, etc? That's one game I absolutely adored as a kid and haven't been able to play since it first came out. Also kind of curious if the original Command and Conquer or C&C Red Alert are available too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

kirbysuperstar posted:

MW2 isn't, no. But it's cheap and plentiful on eBay, and MechVM can get you going easy enough. C&C1, Red Alert 1 and Tiberian Sun have been released for free by EA.

Wow, thanks! Had no idea EA released those for free. I almost want to like EA for doing that, but can't bring myself to that.

I know it's a longshot but is there anything that helps play dosbox games on modern LCD monitors? Something like shaders that emulate the distoration, glow, etc. of CRT monitors would be awesome.

edit: Oh yeah, also any suggestions for modern USB joysticks that aren't poo poo? Nothing too fancy or simulation quality--just something with a hat, trigger, and a few buttons to play Descent. I remember using a Logitech Wingman Extreme back in the day and other than the hat breaking frequently it was great.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 17, 2013

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

kirbysuperstar posted:

RetroArch has amazing filter support and a DosBox core. It's kind of a dick to set up, though as half of Arch's hotkeys are.. well, regular keystrokes. Still, with some work you should be able to get close to what you want. Here's Doom (using the prBoom core, not DosBox, but hey) running with a CRT filter:

Awesome! Yeah I played with libretro and retroarch earlier in the year and tried to setup a similar shader. It was quite fiddly and difficult to make work with everything--I'm going to have to check it out again and see how things have improved. That shader looks great and I love the TV border image. Do you have a link to that shader/filter handy?

edit: Wow there's a ton more activity around shaders in the retroarch forums since I last looked. Looks like there's a lot of great stuff now.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 18, 2013

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

peter gabriel posted:

I found myself working in a PC repair shop in the late 90s and before then I'd never had a windows PC, or PC of any kind.
I just got on well with the owner and one day he gave me a screw driver and told me to put a CD ROM drive in a PC and to 'shout when you get stuck' - I remember taking the plastic cover off the front of the PC and seeing the metal blanking plate inside, that was when I shouted for him ha ha...

Anyway, to 'get me up to speed' the guy built me a PC over the space of a week or so and it wasn't until years later I realised what he built me was a proper gaming machine, I still remember the specs.

Riva TNT AGP
TWO Voodoo 2's in SLI
2.1 GB hard drive
Soundblaster
AMD K6-2 CPU @ 550mhz
194MB of RAM

This was probably 1998!

I worked there for 4 years or so and remember it all so well, from Rightous 3D cards to PC Chips motherboards to 72 PIN RAM, it was just a blast. We never seemed to make any money but people would just chill there, tinkering with stuff.

Good times.

Oh drat--I remember ID software programmers blogging (or updating their .plan files rather) about how they could run GL quake 640x480 at a perfect 60fps with SLI voodoo cards. I was insanely jealous.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Sentinel Red posted:

Going back to the days of Sir Clive for a minute, the one thing I always did like about Sinclair was its clean aesthetic. Sure, half the time it wasn't exactly practical but hey, style > substance, right?

One of their designers, Rick Dickinson, put up a load of photos on his Flickr of the various design stages of their machines, including a few which never made it into production but which look absolutely gorgeous.

ZX80, ZX81, Pocket TV
Spectrum Development
Pandora, a proposed portable Spectrum compatible
QL and Beyond

I mean, just look at these things:

:allears:

This is a watch they designed in 1975. It's a piece of poo poo in terms of actually working and keeping time but drat if it doesn't look sweet as gently caress anyway:

Wow that watch is really gorgeous.

The EEVblog recently did a tear down on a Sinclair pocket TV--really amazing what they did to fit a CRT television in a flat package:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCJPF6Ei3Vw

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
I saw a review of the game Muri which is a new game made in a very faithful style of Duke Nukem and am really impressed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp-WeTNbLzM

Are there any other modern games done in an old DOS game style?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Wow that Roland MT-32 stuff sounds great. How faithful is the emulated version (MUNT) to the original? Curious if it's worth trying to get the patched dosbox version working with it.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Anyone else curious about MT-32 emulation might be interested in this little bit about emulating the MT-32:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NUQpAZeAdo&t=10815s

The emulation sounds good, but definitely doesn't have exactly the same character as the real thing. Stick around after it for his summary of what actual hardware to buy too. The rest of the video is a massive 3 hour treatise on all the different versions and quirks of Roland sound devices.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Check out the Mind Candy DVD's--they are top quality collections of great demos. They put a ton of work into getting the demos to transfer to DVD without issues (there are all kinds of nightmares with framerates, interlacing, etc.) and it really shows in the great quality. Looks like you can download the out of print DVDs for free now too: http://www.mindcandydvd.com/

My favorite demos are from the early PC days. Future Crew in particular did some amazing stuff like Second Reality, which basically proved the PC could be just as good and even better than the Amiga:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFv7mHTf0nA

I still love the soundtrack from that demo.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Pierzak posted:

And after watching the original Second Reality, watch this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVPW40ygds4

Haha drat, that is pretty impressive for a C64.

One thing I forgot to mention about the Mind Candy DVDs--most of the demos have commentary tracks with the original authors (including Future Crew for Second Reality) and are super fascinating. A lot of them explain how they made certain effects, how long they spent working on them, etc. Really great stuff if you're at all interested in the demo scene.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Quarex posted:

As a former mildly prolific demoscener myself I feel obligated to post a link to Nectarine Demoscene Radio, as it is pretty much your one-stop shop for amazing computer-based nostalgia:

https://www.scenemusic.net/demovibes/

And this is even coming from a member of the USA/DOS demoscene which is pretty largely underrepresented due to Nectarine's Euro/Amigacentric focus (but fortunately that happens to still make it awesome).

Wow that's awesome--I remember listening to Nectarine back in the early 2000's. Glad to see it's still around.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Something folks here might be interested in, it looks like Monoprice is having a sale on their mechanical keyboard: http://slickdeals.net/f/6743848-monoprice-mechanical-gaming-keyboard-cherry-mx-blue-43-shipping It looks a lot like a model M and has Cherry MX blue switches so it should have a similar feel and sound as the model M. No stupid gamer stuff like backlight or x-treme!! branding. Not a bad price ($43) considering how stupidly expensive mechanical keyboards can get.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
That's awesome--the CS department at college used to have some old hard drives like that tucked into some unused rooms. They made great end tables.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
I just discovered the DOS nostalgia podcast and am really enjoying it--folks here will probably appreciate it too. The latest episode has an interview with Clint from Lazy Game Reviews, and earlier episodes dig into great stuff like Doom, an interview with Jim Leonard/Trixter on the history of DOS, and more.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Yep I get crazy nostalgia watching videos of old games I used to play on my 486. I love 256 color game art--the colors, dithering, and aesthetic can be really amazing. Even old ANSI graphics can be mind blowing. If anyone remembers the ASCII and ANSI art scenes from old BBS and early internet days, this video is a must watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILNs1GChGDk

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
If you have a IIGS you need Zany Golf. Fantastically fun game with great music and graphics for the IIGS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNISV7uLLc8

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
I still remember playing the Quake demo for the first time. It was a mess of pixels on my Pentium 90, but walking down a hallway and seeing a guy come up in full 3D was just mind blowing. Just looking at the architecture of the levels was great fun.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
If you get a couple gamepads, OMF is a lot of fun with two people. Played the poo poo out of the game between rounds of Quake, Doom, etc. with friends back in the day.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
IMHO the only reason to collect DOS games these days is for the big boxes. Almost any really good game that is still worth playing today has had a source port or cleaned up release on sites like gog.com, so there's really no reason to buy or own the physical discs. As was mentioned, floppies are probably going to be unreadable nowadays and I would bet over the next 10-20 years we'll see those old CDROMs die too. If I were to get into collecting I would do it just for the awesome big boxes and artwork.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
How rare and desirable are Sinclair ZX Spectrum +2's in the US? Saw a nice looking one at a thrift store for $50 and am kind of on the fence about it.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
drat, went back to the thrift store that had the Spectrum 2 yesterday and unfortunately it was gone. Oh well, I'm not sure it had any of the accessories like power adapter etc. anyways.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

d0s posted:

Do you live somewhere with a lot of immigrants from PAL countries or something? That's such a weird/cool thing to find at a US thrift store, and it's a shame you missed it :(

EDIT:

I used to have a boxed C16 and a loose Plus 4, both found at thrift shops in Florida, both NTSC. I think they might actually have been fairly popular in certain areas here, they were really cheap for a while.

EDIT2: This is what the box of mine looked like:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0b/Commodore_16_001.jpg

They were pushed as an educational system here and were sold at places like K-Mart, I think a lot of misguided or thrifty parents and grandparents bought them for kids asking for a C64 or computer in general. It has kind of a bad reputation here as it had zero third party software support in the US. I hear in Europe it had a much more vibrant scene with actual games and stuff.

Yeah here's a pic of it that I snapped when I first saw it--should have just pulled the trigger, oh well.

Years ago I found a really nice TI-99/4a beige in box with everything for $13 at a thrift store. Picked that one up but haven't really done much with it yet.

edit: Found a slim PS2 at the same store as the Spectrum a few weeks ago for only $10. Was a bit of a gamble since it had no power adapter so I couldn't test it, but bought it anyways and got an adapter--works great! Thrift stores are a gamble but you can find some crazy deals sometimes.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
A friend just turned me on to the PC Engine/Turbografx 16 and holy crap is this system awesome. Playing some schmups on an emulator and am blown away that this was a NES competitor.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Check out what my neighbor gave me, it's been sitting in his closet for years:

No idea if it works yet, will have to fiddle around a bit to see if I can hook it up to a modern TV.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Just picked up a CD of Mechwarrior 2 for DOS at a thrift store for $2. It had the Ghost Bear legacy expansion CD jammed inside the case too! Woohoo, I can't wait to play this classic again. Even just listening to the music takes me back.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Does the MT-32 or SC-55 let you take new samples and replace instruments with them? Replace everything with cat meows. :getin:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
I would definitely pick that up with a bid of like $30-50. I'm still kicking myself for not picking up a ZX Spectrum I saw at a thrift store for $50--in the US!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
A complete in box registered version of original Doom, the kind you had to send money to id software directly to get, is probably kinda rare and worth something to some people. I have the disks for my copy but threw out the box and manual when I was a kid. :( The later CDROM releases of Doom, Doom 2, etc. from GT interactive are probably a lot easier to find and less interesting to people.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Wow that is cool! I love old ANSI graphics and that really brings back some nostalgia.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Check your local Goodwill/thrift stores too, you can sometimes find super cheap old computers. I picked up a really nice and working Pentium 90mhz Thinkpad for $20 a few months ago.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Get a tripod and it will help almost any camera take better pictures of things that stand still. You can probably find a super cheap one at a department store for like $30-40. You don't need a fancy $300 carbon fiber base plus fancier $300 fluid movement head either, just start with a simple one. Also if you can turn on the delayed shutter countdown timer (like when you take a family photo and want to jump into the picture), that will let you move your hands off the camera before it takes the picture and reduce shake & bluriness even more.

Also lighting. You can never have enough lighting for good pics. Lots of light will make even a crappy camera look good. Grab some lamps and put them in the room, or even pick up some inexpensive workshop lights and point them at the objects.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Pick up Zany Golf, it's _amazing_ on IIgs. The music in particular is stellar.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jul 6, 2016

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Is it even worth buying a floppy drive in 2017? There's a finite life to the magnetic media on floppy disks and I have a feeling anything from the 90's and earlier is running on borrowed time.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
I'm amazed some indie dev hasn't made a steam or twine game yet that's literally just trying to finagle autoexe.bat and config.sys drivers to fit into 640k of memory.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Dodoman posted:

Hey guys, I just started getting into emulation of old windows games (DOS era to early 2000s). Any tips on VM setup?

I've got DOSBOX and D-Fend Reloaded (I'm also trying DBGL but it seems slightly finicky) for the DOS and some of the early 16bit games via 3.11. Is there any recommended VM to run late 90s to early oughts titles in and which of the following operating systems (95/98/XP) would give the highest compatibility?

I've purchased whatever I can off of GOG so this would be stuff that isn't readily available elsewhere (eg. Airport Tycoon 1/2/3, Star Trek Bridge Commander, Star Trek Armada 1/2, Pacific Theatre of Operations 2, Cutthroats: Terror on the High Seas, Urban Assault, Starlancer etc).

If I remember correctly 98 was the last Windows version that let you reboot to exclusive mode DOS prompt. So in theory that could run everything DOS, win 3.1, and win 95/98.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
There were some huge 22" Sony trinitron monitors IIRC that could do 2100x1600 or something nutty. They literally weighed 200+ lbs. and took up an entire desk.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
DirectX and COM were made to be backwards compatible, in theory you should be able to install a later DirectX. I'm sure there's a limit to how far foward you can go since at some point they presumably deprecate and remove the old unused APIs. But I have a feeling getting the last version of DX made for your OS should give you everything you need.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Oh fun I've been doing the same in a little linux VM with docker. Google search 'best text console games' and you'll find tons of good lists, like: https://www.google.com/search?q=linux+text+mode+games&oq=linux+text+mode+games

There's some modern stuff like dwarf fortress, doom roguelike, etc. to explore too.

If you really want some fun, look at a retro CRT emulated text console too: https://github.com/Swordfish90/cool-retro-term

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah cool-retro-term is fantastic and super easy to install now with the appimage. There are a couple others too but IMHO CRT is the best:

- Hyper terminal (cross platform): https://hyper.is/ + this postprocessing effect: https://github.com/slammayjammay/hyper-postprocessing

- Cathode (mac osx only): https://apps.apple.com/us/app/cathode/id499233976?mt=12

- XScreensaver's apple 2 screen emulation: http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/xenial/man6/apple2.6x.html