Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
I've bought up some C64 stuff over the last couple years, but immediately suffered reliability issues with floppies and 1541 drives so I got a SD card reader for my C64 and then played through Bruce Lee.

C64 and Atari some joysticks don't have multiplexers in them which means all I have to do to use a custom controller is make a cord. Sega Genesis controllers work on a C64 but can damage the computer, so don't use one without modifying it.

Tried to get into Amiga by way of CD32 consoles, but I haven't been able to keep them reading discs reliably.

I bought a decent 7800 starter kit too, but haven't yet expanded on it. I've seen some websites claiming that the 5200 was slightly more powerful, but I don't know if I believe that. I need to get S-Video coming out of this thing.

I envy all that old cardboard and mylar you posted, but personally, I just don't want to spend money on a game that doesn't come on a cartridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

Peenmaster posted:

Where can I buy an x86000? I've been on a crusade to get every single castlevania game
You are aware that the X86000 Castlevania was re-released on the Playstation?

I have seen X86's on ebay. You might want to set up a saved search with alerts. As a reference, I saw an FM Towns with monitor go for $700 this year so an X86 will be insanely expensive unless you get lucky.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

field balm posted:

Also, I have a casio synth with general midi capability and a usb-to-midi cable, is it possible to set up Dosbox to send midi over usb?

Yes. I just went the Roland route with a MT-32, SC-55, and UM-1 USB-MIDI cable.

The UM-1 shows up as a MIDI device, so you just point Dosbox to that, and then select the appropriate MIDI output in the game's setup. Each MIDI device is given a number (0 thru X) by windows, which Dosbox can report to you with the "mixer /listmidi" command. Provided your USB dongle also registers as a MIDI device, you can specify which device that Dosbox or a specific game will use by editing the "midiconfig=0" in your .conf files.

You can also install Bassmidi, which is a nice MIDI device emulator and will register two more MIDI devices on your system to which you can load soundfonts. The real nice thing about Bassmidi is that it has an easy pulldown to select the default MIDI device that windows will use. So you can select your USB dongle as the default, which is 0, which is the device number that Dosbox will default to using anyay.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

We don't have anything like SCART, which is both multi-use and standardized. We still have component video, which is basically RGB video with the sync embedded. Component was pretty common from at least 2000 on up.

Anybody in the states wanting to use a RGB source on a TV is going to have to use a RGB->Component transcoder, or a purpose-made scaler like a XRGB.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

How do I hook up a VGA CRT/LCD to an old Mac?

Just ebayed a Mac Performa 6115CD for $30.

Now I ain't know dick about poo poo, but I had a Mac LC from '92-95 and I did my very best to game on it. I played Pathways into Darkness, Lunicus, Space Quest 1 & 4, and some other stuff. Unfortunately the LC was pretty dogshit at it.

Pathways is what I'm really after, since it never got a PC port. Really hoping that this Performa runs a whole lot better than the LC.

I'm also after a Mac Mini to play the Pathways into Darkness update that was released in the App Store last year. Any way I can play that on PC?

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

Now talk about sound cards for the late 486 era. I stocked up on AWE64's and Live's several years ago, and I just started messing with a MT-32 and a SC-55.

I never used a GUS, though, and when I listen to YouTube MIDI recordings of one I wonder what the fuss was about.

I'll tell a story now, about the first time I played on a PC with a 16-but sound card.

I was playing Doom 2 for the first time on a friend's PC, and I had only ever played a little of the Ep1 shareware before, with PC speaker. I also thought it was really cool how my buddy had hooked his PC up to a stereo receiver and big floor speakers.

Anyway, I'm godmoding through the early Doom 2 levels, and it's completely mind blowing. But there was somebody outside working on their muscle car or something and the were just revving the engine over and over. It was really loud and I was complaining about it over my shoulder to my friend but he didn't seem to care. Finally I had enough and I turned to my buddy and asked what was wrong with his neighbor to be revving his engine so loud constantly. My friend just gave me this look and asked what the hell I was talking about , there was no neighbor and no engine noise. Of course there was, I insisted, what the hell else could that repeating bassy rumbling be?

"It's the loving game." he said, and he was right. It was the zombieman growl, in such 16-bit clarity and so loud through the speakers that, unseen and inexperienced, my brain conjured up an image of the biggest, flame-shootinest muscle car ever, apparently in my friend's back yard.

I still think of that, most times I play Doom.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

Quarex posted:

I have no idea what the games were on the Turbografx that I found so amazing but that is OK, because we DO NOT DISCUSS THEM IN THIS THREAD CLEARLY!!! No indeed.

Well, like, do ya want me to? Cuz that's some hardware that I pretty much can't shut up about in my day-to-day.

I know the level select code for Splatterhouse, so feel free to PM me.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

I'm having mixed results in getting dosbox to actually output midi to my MT-32 or SC-55.

Both synths are hooked up to a Roland UM-One USB adaptor, that adaptor is set as windows default MIDI device, and both DFend and the specific game profiles in DFend are configured to explicitly target the UM-One.

In a game like Blood, where the Setup.exe allows me to set the MIDI to GM or Sound Canvas, there usually isn't a problem and my old Roland synths receive the signal.

Other games, like Rise of the Dragon, which does have a MT-32 option, occasionally output the music to dosbox's MIDI emulation instead.

Another game, Bio Menace, has a single Ad-Lib\Sound Blaster MIDI option, which should be GM right? This game never sends GM to my synths, and always uses emulation.

Anybody know what might be going on or have advice to better manipulate dosbox or DFend to handle MIDI how I want?

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

flyboi posted:

What are you using to launch your games? Just straight up dosbox or something like Launch Box?

D-Fend Reloaded. And I always specify to use the UM-One as the MIDI device is each game's profile.

I was messing around with Rise of the Dragon again and found that if I ran the setup.exe and set the music to MT-32, then the midi would output to my UM-One. However, if I ran the setup.exe and set the midi to Ad-Lib or Sound Blaster, then Dosbox would use its MIDI emulation.

Same with Blood. GM or Sound Canvas uses the UM-One. Ad-Lib or Sound Blaster uses emulation.

Maybe I'm misinformed about what is or isn't General Midi and these old Ad-Lib and Sound Blaster modes aren't GM. Or maybe Dosbox is making a distinction for me and intercepting some MIDI because of the unlikelihood that I'd have a real Sound Blaster or whatever.

Edit: yep, I was misinformed. have informed myself now

Copper Vein fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 31, 2015

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

Am I mistaken in thinking that I can hook up a Roland MT-32 / SC-55 to a Sound Blaster AWE / Live with a game port to MIDI cable to pass the MIDI from a game to the Roland?

I have no clue how to configure this poo poo, but I did not think I needed a separate MPU-401 ISA card to do this.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

I found an old VOGONS post that set me on the right track with my Rolands and Blasters. I downloaded an AWE64 install disc from their archive and used that to get the AWE control panel working in Win98SE.

I used the AWE control panel to turn of MPU-401 emulation on the Sound Blaster, then made the MPU-401 driver the default MIDI device in Windows. This way, all MIDI passes out of the AWE64's gameport unless it is explicitly AWE MIDI in which case the Blaster handles it. I piped the Roland's stereo out into the AWE's line in and away I went.

I did find it interesting that running Heretic or whatever in DOS automatically bypassed the AWE and fed the Roland if a GM or GS mode was selected in that game's setup, regardless of how the MIDI was configured in Windows. However, I had to unmute the Blaster's line-in in Windows before it would mix in DOS.

Two things are disappointing to me with this AWE64 gold I am currently running, though.

First, if the AWE does handle the GM or GS MIDI itself, the music is much lower than it should be, being nearly inaudible in some cases. However, if the MIDI is configured to be native AWE, then it is played at the proper volume.

Second, the digital sound effects through the AWE64 are really scratchy in some cases. Now it could be that this older hardware simply has much less fidelity than I am used to hearing come out of my modern GPU, or that all the extra analog cables, amps, and headphones are adding to the scratchiness.

I have another AWE64 Gold that I am going to swap in to give a listen, and then I'm going to put a Live Gold back in.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

Yo, Police,

I was foolin' around with the MT-32 and Rise of the Dragon, and I was absolutely enamored with the way the game loads sounds into the MT-32 as needed and you can see when this happens via the MIDI messages. So when the elevator door opens, for example, you see "loading elevdoor" or something on the MT-32 screen as the sound plays. I love that.

What I'm curious about is that I noticed that there were some sounds that were not governed by the MT-32's volume control. In Rise of the Dragon, you don't set up Sound FX and MIDI individually; you choose one device to do both. So when running in MT-32 mode, if I turn down the volume on the synthesizer, most sound effects like the sliding doors and your ID card being ejected will be inaudible. However, other sounds, like running the faucet in your apartment play at an unchanged volume. I even tested this by yanking the cord to the Line In on my sound card and all sound stopped.

Since you prone to pontificatin bout sound devices, I hoped you might know what the difference was between some of these sound effects the MT-32 is doing and why they are treated different. I had previously viewed the MT-32 as a MIDI synth like the SC-55, but with some extra tricks and less advanced samples. Now it is looking to me like it is an entire sound device in and of itself, and not a MIDI supplement like the SC-55. So I assume that RotD is handling some sounds effects with MIDI samples, but others are pure digital recordings and that the volume knob only affects the MIDI side of the device.

That about right?

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

Fun Fact: The setup.exe for Raptor:Call of the Shadows inexplicably allows for Sound Canvas or General Midi to chosen as a sound fx device, separate from and in addition to the MIDI device. Probably an oversight on their part. Anyway, if this is option is chosen, the game will not have any in-game sound effects, save for one farty blip that it plays for some menu options and in the store.

You can see the display bar for channel 16 on the Roland rise when you click on the next\prev buttons in the weapon store, and you can adjust the volume level and reverb and hear the changes, but if you change the stereo panning or instrument for that channel, it will reset to Fretless Bass just left of center every time you click the button and the sound plays again.

Neat!

I went on 'nother ebay tear, and have some YMF724 PCI cards and a YMF719E ISA card on the way, as well as a second SC55 in case this one gets dirty. Suggest some FM Synth PC soundtracks for me to check out. I super dig the dirty guiter sounds of the Mega Drive, for instance.

The YMF724 chip has a big XG logo, and I've seen mention that it is similar in capability to a MU50. I've been wanting to dip into the Yamaha synth line for a while, to hear the difference their samples lend to grabbag.mid for myself and say "heh." This MU2000EX vid in particular really interests me. Do you have any idea how close I might get to the XG sounds of a MU2000EX with a YMF724 card?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

RadicalR posted:

So what about the SC55 Mk II? I have one of those lying about taking up space.

My understanding is that it was an incrementally better synth than the 55 with increased polyphony and a deeper instrument bank, but I can't imagine any of that would make a difference or be at all advantageous to game soundtracks as they barely used the GS set anyway.

And also that you should send it to me because you don't need that clutter in your life; it lowers you.