Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
A coworker mentioned that they had an old PC in their garage and I offered to take it off their hands, so now i finally have my own beige box!

An IBM Aptiva 2168-M53, with a few upgrades from when it was actually in use.

Unfortunately, at least one of the hard drives has the click of death, so I'll have to pull it out, but I have an IDE to SD card adapter that I was going to install while I wait for my CF to IDE adapter to ship (I pulled the sd adapter out of another, less old system I use in my workshop). This is my first time messing around with a computer from when I was too young to really know what was going on, so I have a few questions:

Is 1998/9 old enough that it avoids the plague of bad capacitors that killed the PCs I had in the early 2000s? Everything looked fine when I opened things up, but if it's at risk for having one blow, I might see about recapping it.

I don't have any floppy discs on hand, I assume I can use some software like rufus to make a bootable drive on my SD card, and have the PC boot to that?

And is it possible to install Windows 98 SE over DOS? Ideally I'd like to be able to run both 98 and 3.1, and not having to use multiple partitions would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

I'm having a really weird issue trying to get this thing to boot properly. I replaced the CMOS battery, since it was unsurprisingly dead, but now it takes forever to POST, and seems to have 2-5 seconds of lag on each keystroke, and the speaker screams at me if I even think about touching the keyboard outside of the times it wants to take input.

I ended up yanking most of the RAM so that the memory check wouldn't take ages (it literally was taking about 30 minutes to check the 16MB that was in there when I got it)

There isn't some kind of weird jumper on the motherboard that can cause it to throttle itself to 8086 speeds, is there?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

Turns out I read the directions for an older revision motherboard, which has a different jumper location :doh:

Now it gets through POST just fine, but I get to fight the SD card compatibility demons.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

It almost looks like the switches are connected to those 3 pins? Maybe someone wanted to manually set them?