Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Today, we have live CDs and so forth, but it seems like everything is so abstracted, high level, and dependent on so many other things that stuff feels less functional if you don't have a hard drive. You might boot Ubuntu, but it's literally a WYSIWYG situation - you don't get to update software, make changes to settings, or do other general computing tasks without burning a new disc or never rebooting and clearing the memory.

Wouldn't USB flash drives with persistent installs of Ubuntu/etc. be the the same thing but for a more modern age?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

ACID POLICE posted:

Holy poo poo you have a Cyrix chip in your machine. I'm immensely jealous. I want one :qq:

I was using a Cyrix M2 (233MHz) until.. 2004. When I upgraded to a Pentium 4. I used that Cyrix and a Voodoo 4 to beat Quake 3 on Nightmare, at like.. 10fps, 320x240. I was a determined one, back then.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

mod sassinator posted:

Does anyone know if Mechwarrior 2 and its expansions (Ghost Bear Legacy) are available to purchase on any legitimate site like gog.com, etc? That's one game I absolutely adored as a kid and haven't been able to play since it first came out. Also kind of curious if the original Command and Conquer or C&C Red Alert are available too.

MW2 isn't, no. But it's cheap and plentiful on eBay, and MechVM can get you going easy enough. C&C1, Red Alert 1 and Tiberian Sun have been released for free by EA.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

mod sassinator posted:

I know it's a longshot but is there anything that helps play dosbox games on modern LCD monitors? Something like shaders that emulate the distoration, glow, etc. of CRT monitors would be awesome.

RetroArch has amazing filter support and a DosBox core. It's kind of a dick to set up, though as half of Arch's hotkeys are.. well, regular keystrokes. Still, with some work you should be able to get close to what you want. Here's Doom (using the prBoom core, not DosBox, but hey) running with a CRT filter:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

mod sassinator posted:

Awesome! Yeah I played with libretro and retroarch earlier in the year and tried to setup a similar shader. It was quite fiddly and difficult to make work with everything--I'm going to have to check it out again and see how things have improved. That shader looks great and I love the TV border image. Do you have a link to that shader/filter handy?

edit: Wow there's a ton more activity around shaders in the retroarch forums since I last looked. Looks like there's a lot of great stuff now.

Yeah, there's some good stuff going on. This is the one in particular: http://libretro.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=658

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Ah yes, the finest Welsh microcomputer out there.

There's so many weird microcomputers out there, I love it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

RodShaft posted:

Is there any way to find out more about the game or developer?

Mobygames is pretty good for that. The developers changed names before going out of business, here's what they did in total: http://www.mobygames.com/browse/games/artronic-limited/list-games/

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

SpaceDrake posted:

Out of curiosity, how exactly do these work? Unless I, you know, have rather misunderstood computers all these years :v: shouldn't C64s and/or Amigas not be capable of addressing all the memory in modern USB sticks or SDCards? Like obviously they're interfacing via the floppy connector and controller, but how are they getting around the address limit? Is there some wizardry involved that allows the computers to see the devices in question as a "collection" of discs or somesuch?

Generally there's a little controller, FPGA or something, doing most of the work. The software loader sends and receives file instructions to the controller which then starts acting like a floppy and serving the image requested.

Fun little fact, the Commodore 1541 disk drive is actually basically a computer running CBM DOS on a 6502 processor that the C64 would talk to to get data. If you tell it to load a file then shut off the C64, the 1541 will just send the data down the wire anyway.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

That tiny rear end in a top hat likes to make himself stupid by banging his head on the stopper constantly, too.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

You...you're going to use OS/2 as firestarting material, right?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I'm loving the poo poo out of these effort posts, just FYI. I only wish I had something to add to it all.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

flyboi posted:

How can you make qix sexier?

Look up "Gal's Panic". But not with other people around.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

CCS64's is..well not too bad, all onscreen so you can quickly go through it with a joystick. BlueMSX is a special kind of mess that I love dearly.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I name my computers after mechs, personally.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I played Doom and OMF on a 90MHz Satellite Pro with a DSTN screen. I uh..yeah. Don't do that.

Text adventures on it were good, at the time (mind you that was 2007), but I think now-a-days I'd probably vomit.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

d0s posted:

Is there any modern space game that captures the Wing Commander feeling? Something without a lot of fluff, just going on missions to blow things up, preferably with awesome graphics.

Modern? Not so much. Colony Wars, Freespace 2 and depending on your anime tolerance Project Sylpheed come to mind.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The Kins posted:

The MADE over in Oakland has launched NeoHabitat, a resurrection of Lucasfilms Games' Habitat, the world's first MMO. The propietary Quantum Link (aka AOL) serverside has been rewritten using a modern server framework, while the C64 client has been updated from the original source code.

That loving owns.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

http://www.ausretrogamer.com/review-thec64-mini-computer/

Looks pretty solid, especially once they improve the USB loader like they're promising. Nice to see some actual effort put into these things.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

d0s posted:

from the article:

good lord

haha I missed that bit

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I'm happy. A week and change ago I made a random tweet about an edutainment game I had when I was young and suddenly remembered, lamenting that it wasn't preserved anywhere and the company, while still existing, didn't sell it anymore. Hell, the only mention I could find of it on the internet was one post on Whirlpool mentioning it.

Cool guy Foone found my tweet, somehow, and within an hour had contacted the developers and got them to send him the game and manual, which he's put up on Archive.org

https://twitter.com/Foone/status/986840429059452928

I'm gonna have to play through it again and write about it or something now, but..man that warms the heart.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

We were still using Apple IIes at school until 2000 (good ol' Australian funding) but mostly all I remember playing is Stickybear Math and Muppet Slate. Which I guess was just Print Shop: Muppets Edition.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

It's uh, a little newer than most of the examples in this thread, but I inherited my late grandfather's G5 iMac. 17", 2.0GHz, ambient light sensor. Was a pretty good one.

Sadly it doesn't power on. No signs of life when you hit power (both the normal button and the other one on the board). Diag LED 1 comes on, so I think the PSU is fine..but from what I can find that means it's probably the logic board. The caps look fine but I haven't tested them in any way.

Sucks, because it's all I have from him and I never really used any PPC Macs. When I finished primary school they were in the midst of replacing the labs full of IIEs and Colour Classics with Win98 machines and then I didn't touch anything Apple until...Snow Leopard maybe.

Don't think there's much I can do but keep an eye out for similar machines and try to work something out, even if it's just throwing his old HDD in there and seeing what was there.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I have a 17" iMac G5 I picked up on a local classifieds because it was cheap. No real use for it, but I kinda like it.

It sounds like you've already tried resetting the power management unit with that button on the mainboard, but otherwise those machines are sort of infamous (to the point of a rare Apple recall) for bad caps - though your logic board caps look alright. Check the power supply board since it has some beefy electrolytics.

I bet we can get it to work.

Alrighty, I'll give that a go during the week.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

Alrighty, I'll give that a go during the week.

Sure enough

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Ended up buying a new ("new") PSU for that G5 as I've never desoldered nor have the gear for it (but I'll probably keep the old one around to learn to do it on or something).

Aaaaand it works!

Gotta move the ambient light sensor to this one and I might drop it back to Tiger, but yaaaay

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah, I loaded Tiger (that was fun, the internal DVD-ROM didn't like the blank discs I was using very much, so I had to use a USB drive and figure out Open Firmware) and it's a lot snappier than Leopard was. Loading the Classic mode stuff seems to work decently enough too.

Now uh..what to do with it. Anything from SimCity 2000 onwards is a bit of a black hole for me, Macwise..

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Haha, yeah I could only find one CD-R (which I ended up using for the 9.2.2 stuff) and I couldn't be assed driving five minutes down the road to go get some.

I did actually nab TenFourFox, and I'm grateful that the Tiger update server still works and added in WPA2 support, because the ethernet port doesn't seem to recognise any of my cables. But yeah, guess I just gotta find some stuff that I didn't play on PCs a bunch.

Oni and some of the Myst sequels seem like fitting ideas, actually..

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Man, I desperately want a PC88 and 98..One day I'm gonna just bite the bullet. At least shipping to Aus won't be entirely godawful.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Well I bought a PC. 133MHz, 48MB RAM, 1MB ATI Mach64 and SB Vibra 16 on-board. It's got a DVDRW (probably just what they had on hand), 2GB HDD with 98SE with USB mass storage support ready to go and a PCI USB card to match (and a NIC because why not). Case is in real nice condition, though we'll see how that holds up once Australia Post have had their hands on it.

It's kind of the era of PC I had the most exposure to as a kid, between my computer lab's sole Pentium 90 dial up PC and the Cyrix MII 233 we had from '94 till uh..2003 I guess when we finally replaced the drat thing with a 2.4GHz P4 system.

So, is there a favourite set of applications and games anyone tends to load onto these systems?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

ProjektorBoy posted:

You may even want to jam a Voodoo2 in there if you're feeling crazy.

Ooh, now there's an idea. Sadly the only ones on eBay AU at a glance are..in Poland and thus like $300 total, but that's something to keep an eye on. Hell, I might even get lucky when I'm finally able enough to go back to work, people bring some random old poo poo into the shop sometimes.

Good point about the RAM though, I kinda forgot how sizes went back then. Even Windows 2000 was 32MB minimum, it seems.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Shadow Hog posted:

Got some kind of ESS sound card in there (1688, I think, as opposed to the more-ubiquitous 1868). Graphics card is a Creative Graphics Blaster Exxtreme [sic], but since that's based on a 3DLabs Permedia 2 that doesn't seem to be particularly good (plus it's missing the RAM expansion, which I think makes it 2MiB instead of 4MiB)

Hah, think I had both of those at some point.. I have a feeling it was a 1688 anyway. The Graphics Blaster we had was definitely the base 2MB. It either replaced or got replaced by a 2 The Max Roadrunner, whichever one got replaced went to my grandfather's PC. From there we had a SIS 6326 8MB (which I used to play a lot of Quake 3 and Mario 64, in Corn, very badly) and after that was a Voodoo 4500, which sucked, though it was definitely an upgrade.

Perpetually upgraded franken-PCs are fun.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah I can't find very much either. I did see a 2themax card that had "RR" in its model name and is apparently a 4MB Virge, so it might have been something like that. Don't think I ever saw the card personally, but I vividly remember "2themax Roadrunner" on the VGA BIOS. It's weird what parts of things you remember when you're very young.

As for the Graphics Blaster we had it definitely wasn't a Voodoo at least. I was mostly just playing Apogee games on the thing anyway, probably.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Well that PC arrived and it's real nice...but it doesn't boot.

It was shipped with so much bubble wrap that I'd be surprised if it was damaged during transit, but there's no video and after the hard drive cranks up it beeps three short, three long, then a pause and eight short. Doesn't appear to be a memory issue - I took out all the SIMMs and it gave three short, five long. Just having bank 0 filled gives the 3s/3l/8s beeps.

Unplugged everything except the CPU itself and the riser (which looks like a pain in the rear end). No caps look blown and the battery is fine too.

It's an AST machine (specifically a Bravo MS5133), and they had to go be difficult and roll their own BIOS, which makes things hard to look up.

I'm gonna shoot the seller a message shortly, but I'm at a loss. Any ideas? Video adapter on the MB might be shot or something?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Hah, I appreciate that the beep codes are listed under "Nasty Noises" there. There's a couple of model numbers on the motherboard, though looking them up didn't find much. I'll open it back up and get them again a bit later, I need a bit of a sanity break.

I hope it's just video or something, wouldn't really be the end of the world to throw a VGA adaptor with more VRAM in there anyways.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Well I got a Trio64 and put that in there, same thing. Guess the mainboard died during shipping or some poo poo. God dammit.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

You Am I posted:

Are there any leaking/popped capacitors on the motherboard?

I'm guessing this is a pre-ATX computer?

All the caps look totally fine. I'd have to double check, but I think it's Pre-ATX yeah. It has two PS/2 ports, no AT keyboard and I think the power button is wired to the PSU.

The seller's run out of ideas other than maybe the shock of shipping knocked a motherboard component with dry solder a bit loose and has decided to give me a refund. They were super nice and helpful at least and I'd totally go to them again. Still a huge bummer.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Dodoman posted:

Is VMWare the way to go for Win 98 emulation?

Virtualbox seems to handle DX7 better. It was the only way I could get StardiverS to work at all.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

A lot of it is gonna vary by what game you're trying to run, too, which is why I inevitably have both VMware and VBox setups for all sorts of different editions of Windows and then DOSbox and oh boy it's a mess.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Shadow Hog posted:

Well, I guess you can throw PCem onto that pile, then, as I really do feel it's an excellent little emulator - although more for Windows games than DOS ones

Yeah, I'll probably take a gander at it later today based on what you've said about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I got off my rear end and ordered 2GB of RAM for my G5. Turned out to be brand new, so that's nice. OSX boots a lot faster, UT2004 (the most intensive thing I have installed, I think) sits a lot closer to averaging 60fps and it feels much more responsive.

TenFourFox is still pretty slow, but I wasn't expecting that to change at all. All in all, a good use of twenty bucks.