Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Why the gently caress are you talking about shipping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

cause we were talking about a pic that can be construed as shipping, and seriously I have no idea why you keep getting so rear end-blasted about this kind of stuff, it makes you out as a petty dick

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the new thread can't come fast enough

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Tollymain posted:

it probably would do us a lot of good

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
We really lost quality control these past few weeks.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

drrockso20 posted:

cause we were talking about a pic that can be construed as shipping, and seriously I have no idea why you keep getting so rear end-blasted about this kind of stuff, it makes you out as a petty dick

I'm sorry I don't appreciate the deep feels you and your class of degenerate get from fetish pictures.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
drrockso20, as somebody who isn't particularly bothered by this stuff, i'm gonna repeat that it doesn't really jive with "site culture", such as it is. i appreciate you're trying to share, but this isn't the forum for it.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I ship right and left hand space ships.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

USPS flat rate boxes are awesome. They say 'if it fits it ships up to 70lbs' so I just pack them full of lead ingots and poo poo it's still $10 for a medium box.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
as somebody who worked as a package handler, wow, what a dick move

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I appreciate the kind of shipping where I can get a used book over the Atlantic in good condition, even if the postage is worth more than the book.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
As far as the "negaGems" and redemption go, Lapis is probably as redeemed as she's going to be. She's ungodly powerful, especially in a place near the ocean and it'd be too overshadowing for her to outright join the other Rose Gems. Jasper's a vicious bully who's never really going to be redeemed. She might very temporarily team up to fight some common threat, but she'll betray the Rose-Gems and Stephen because she despises them and holds them in vengeful contempt.

Peridot might be redeemed, though that really depends on what "redemption" means. I don't see her ever fully joining Team Steven, but I can see her becoming neutral/grudgingly benevolent. Ultimately Peridot came to Earth to do a job, and what was supposed to be an easy job at that. Figure once she can check off the "did everything I could" box in her own mind, Peridot could easily become another Beach City denizen.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
from a more compassionate viewpoint though, there is no way steven is just going to accept letting lapis sit at the bottom of the sea for the rest of time. even if she can indefinitely maintain an iron hold on jasper down there, there's no way she's not coming back.

this show isn't about hard sacrifices or tragic endings. yes, those exist in the backstory for sure, but steven exists because rose quartz wanted to create a different future.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I think the main reason a lot of people are worried about the Uncle Grandpa crossover is because the two shows are so thematically and stylistically different that they won't blend well, and that the antics of UG and co. will somehow insult the dignity of the Gems.

Personally I'm not too worried about it. A: it's probably a dream or a holodeck simulation or "Garnet's Universe" type story.
B: even if it is fully canon, it will still be hilarious and personally I think I would watch UG more (it's a little too frenetic for me so I watch it in small doses) if I knew the Gems might pop in to visit him.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i am firmly in the "i don't care either way" camp

i'd say i've been surprised by how vitriolic people have been about it but... i've been online long enough. yeah

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Say Nothing posted:

I only noticed on rewatching, Sapphire was singing Connie's ringtone.

She wasn't... she was singing part of Stronger than You.

johntfs posted:

Jasper's a vicious bully who's never really going to be redeemed. She might very temporarily team up to fight some common threat, but she'll betray the Rose-Gems and Stephen because she despises them and holds them in vengeful contempt.

Eh, I dunno... we are talking about a show that largely revolves around the power of love, that will have at least 100+ more episodes. I wouldn't rule out Jasper redeeming herself in some way. And who knows what sort of influence being fused with Lapis for an extended period of time might have on her. (Not that I think that she'll be coming out of the water even close to being ready to redeem herself, but it could have longer-term effects on her.)

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Mar 15, 2015

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

thexerox123 posted:

She wasn't... she was singing part of Stronger than You.

Nah, before that, when she was trying to lead Ruby to her cell.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Nah, before that, when she was trying to lead Ruby to her cell.

Yeah, that's what I was talking about. I double-checked, all through that part she's singing part of Stronger Than You.

It's the "I am made of love" part of the song.

i am bones
May 18, 2010

We are the Crystal Gems!

axleblaze posted:

Do you have a particular scene in mind you want an avatar of? It's just way easier for me to just make something out of an exact thing you have in mind then just randomly pull something from the many hours of this show hoping you like it.

This avatar sized would be great, actually:

I really like the opening credits. So maybe just the parts where they sing the gems' names "Garnet!" and "Amethyst" or an avatar where they're all getting beamed up together (also in the credits)

But you know, all animated and stuff! :)

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Forgive me if this has already been pointed out, but, Rose Quartz:

- Fought with a straight-sword and a shield.
- Was a healer.
- Is associated with love and faith.
- Basically made every decision ever based on what the Right thing to do was, rather than the Strategic thing to do.

Rose was basically a D&D-style paladin. Just not the lawful-stupid kind.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I think Rose wasn't as perfect as the show would like you to believe so far.

Jasper admired her tactics in the first war.
She took Pearl into her army when it was clear Pearl loved her, not the humans, and she didn't return those feelings.
She made pearl feel like she was special and that she was trusted fully, unlike the others, when she was in fact hiding informatioj from her.
She was hiding information in general. Pearl praises her for how effective her tactics were and how she knew stuff had to be hidden for peoples own good - but that seems to be more a statement off practicality, not a 'good' thing.
There was obviously some kind of reason she couldn't heal the monsters.

I still think she was an incredibly loving and caring person, but I think saying 'she always did the Right thing not the Strategic' is wrong. Everything we know about her during the war admires practicality, battle tactics, and effectiveness. Its clear she had to do a lot of hard things during the war that got a lot of people killed, thus the 'no such thing as a good war' and how she apparently neverforgave herself.

I doubt that we're gonna learn she is actually Mega Hitler, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that hey, maybe her best friends who she saved personally (at the cost of other people dying) aren't the most reliable and unbiased narrators.

Edit: Another Bad Thing: Look at Lapis. We don't know how long she was in there, but when she yelled about how the Crystal Gems all knew she was trapped in the mirror and did nothing, none of them defended themselves. They knew, and that means Rose knew because none of them would lie to her. She never even tried to heal Lapis as far as we know.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 15, 2015

bigstupidjellyfish
Oct 25, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

I watch your show on Amazon TV, and love it! Steven Universe is seriously the best thing on TV and I haven't had so much raw fun with a show since Avatar: The Last Airbender. Amazon TV though is hilariously arbitrary about how it designates season. It, for example, splits Season 1 of Steven Universe into two seasons. Why? Who knows! It is totally arbitrary as far as I can tell. They do that with all shows on Amazon TV too.

They also placed "Political Power" after "Full Disclosure," which I gotta admit, I find a little frustrating. I'm really not at all bothered by the notion that some episodes were moved from season 1 to season 2, because I assume that the people making those decisions know more than me about whether or not those episodes stand alone. But man, "Political Power" is so definitively before "Return/Jailbreak."

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

bigstupidjellyfish posted:

They also placed "Political Power" after "Full Disclosure," which I gotta admit, I find a little frustrating. I'm really not at all bothered by the notion that some episodes were moved from season 1 to season 2, because I assume that the people making those decisions know more than me about whether or not those episodes stand alone. But man, "Political Power" is so definitively before "Return/Jailbreak."

It's especially silly, because Jailbreak/Full Disclosure flow together even more than The Return/Jailbreak do. It would have worked just fine keeping it in the correct order.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Paladinus posted:

I ship right and left hand space ships.

Ah, a Brooke McEldowny fan, I see.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Jasper may be a vicious bully, but the more I watch these episodes, the less I feel like Jasper is just a vicious bully. At first glance, it seems like they didn't really give us much info about her character, but you have to think of it from the context of Homeworld Gem culture. Which we don't know much about, but, I get the distinct impression that culture doesn't leave a lot of room for individualism. Possibly something extremely rigidly caste-oriented, more than any human culture, perhaps with multiple duplicates of the same gem with no thought paid to distinguishing between them.

Compared to, say, Amethyst, I'd have to admit that Jasper is more like that culture, rather than the Crystal Gem culture of extreme individualism, the embracing of flaws of yourself and others as part of a unique whole. She wears the same uniform as Peridot, and gives and receives ruthless, tyrannical orders.

But... she's chafing under it, a bit. She has the same basic outfit, but she accessorizes. She's got that sick cloak. She emphasizes her personal memories and experiences ("I was there for the first war, I respected your leader's tactics"), and prioritizes her personal desires over those of the mission. She's passionate. It feels like she comes from a different time, like she doesn't fit into the modern Homeworld Gem culture.

She doesn't really look like an ally of the Crystal Gems, but honestly I don't think she looks like an ally of the Diamond Authority, either.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 15, 2015

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
I'm not sure I agree with the notion that Jasper admiring her tactics is immediate proof they were lovely; in the context of the scene, she's leading into the fact that Rose becoming Steven disgusts her, as though that is the point where a plot of Rose's went too far. And as a soldier, even a combat-loving soldier as Jasper clearly is, it makes sense to respect the actions of a commander who is able to both effectively accomplish a goal and prevent deaths, especially if they're being prevented on both sides.

Of course I could be wrong and Rose could be personally responsible for the destruction of countless gems and humans. But I don't think that's the only option worth discussing.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Gaunab posted:

You keep saying this. Could you explain?

Tex Avery was a cartoonist who defined his animation by how exaggerated and wacky his characters would get. He was behind Bugs Bunny and the whole idea of Looney Tunes. This kind of animation is, especially with the crossover, usually the complete opposite of anime, even in stuff as blatantly ridiculous as Dragon Ball. Maybe only really old school stuff like Doraemon and Shin-Chan, or the recent Space Dandy, really takes inspiration from western Tex Avery art. I know Masaaki Yuasa took a lot of inspiration from Tex Avery and you can really see it (he was behind Food Chain from Adventure Time). Uncle Grandpa is really sticking to it, especially as opposed to the current era of story dominated cartoons. Not that I've got anything against the current trend, I wouldn't be here if I was, it's just nice to see something that's so different, relatively speaking anyway, and unafraid to be its own thing.

Although to be fair, it looks like Tex Avery wasn't the only main inspiration for Uncle Grandpa. I still hope John K will watch the crossover, because as someone who helped design the show's main character, he wouldn't like seeing anything he was involved mixed with anime. Didn't he even poo poo on Studio Ghibli at one time?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Tollymain posted:

Agreed.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

readingatwork posted:

I've always liked SU but until about a third of the way into the show it just didn't "click" with me the way AT or GF did. I think it was because the show feels like it starts on episode three and takes some time to let you in on a lot really basic information that every character already knows (what happened to Steven's mom, what the Gems are, what is it they're protecting earth from, etc). Had the show had a proper introductory episode where they sat down and explained most of this stuff I think I would have gotten on board much earlier. I think it was the fantastically messed up ending of Steven and the Stevens that finally won me over.

That song at the end man...

:stare:

I love you.

I didn't draw it, I just found it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't think Jasper and Peridot necessarily reflect the views of the rest of Homeworld. Peridot is just a working schlub who got a simple assignment to salvage some old hardware on a planet with no real threats on it. Jasper's an unlikeable jerk who volunteered for the mission mainly because she thinks she's some hot poo poo and wants to beat Rose Quartz, but I doubt whether she has much standing on Homeworld.

Basically I hope this series ends with Steven buying a milkshake for the head honcho gem and the invasion getting called off because of friendship or something.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't think Jasper and Peridot necessarily reflect the views of the rest of Homeworld. Peridot is just a working schlub who got a simple assignment to salvage some old hardware on a planet with no real threats on it. Jasper's an unlikeable jerk who volunteered for the mission mainly because she thinks she's some hot poo poo and wants to beat Rose Quartz, but I doubt whether she has much standing on Homeworld.

Basically I hope this series ends with Steven buying a milkshake for the head honcho gem and the invasion getting called off because of friendship or something.

The final scene (barring the epilogue) is Steven giving the fused Diamonds the very last Cookie Cat as a token of friendship, halting their efforts to conquer the universe.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Tollymain posted:

drrockso20, as somebody who isn't particularly bothered by this stuff, i'm gonna repeat that it doesn't really jive with "site culture", such as it is. i appreciate you're trying to share, but this isn't the forum for it.

That said, drrockso20, if you want to share it would probably be better to post links to your pictures on this forum rather than the pictures themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

johntfs posted:

That said, drrockso20, if you want to share it would probably be better to post links to your pictures on this forum rather than the pictures themselves.

Meh, if the picture is worth sharing just embed it. If it's so awful that you don't want to force people to see it then maybe it's not even worth posting. I like fanart shares, when they're good. Like the DBZ stuff, or all the Crew fanart. (that may be a contradiction of terms, I care not)

timg (instead of img) is your friend if you're posting a bunch of pics, though.

Also, there is a new thread.

• Locked thread