Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

We are the Crystal Gems
We'll always save the day
And if you think we can't
We'll always find a way

Steven Universe is the newest show on Cartoon Network, created by Rebecca Sugar, former storyboardist, writer, and composer for Adventure Time. It's notable for being the very first Cartoon Network original series to be created by a woman, and Rebecca Sugar has more than proven herself with her work on Adventure Time, so people are rightly excited about it. The pilot for the series was released online in July 2013 and became a quick hit. The series proper will premiere on Monday November 4 at 8:00 PM EST, with a somewhat controversial character design change from the pilot.

The series follows the life of young Steven Universe, the youngest member of the Crystal Gems, a group of intergalactic warriors who protect peace throughout the universe with the powers of the gems infused in their bodies. With his powers not yet fully manifested, Steven is eager to prove his worth to his teammates and to the rest of the world.

Let's Meet The Crystal Gems!

Steven Universe (voiced by Zach Callison)
The youngest and only male member of the Crystal Gems, Steven's gemstone is a rose quartz embedded in his bellybutton with an unknown power. He lives with the other Crystal Gems in a big house/palace that's shaped like a woman. He's eager to prove that he can be a strong warrior and more than a little brother to the Gems. He's also a talented ukelele player. His gem was passed down from his mother, a former Crystal Gem who gave up her physical form to bring Steven into the world.

Garnet (voiced by Estelle)
The unofficial leader of the Crystal Gems, Garnet is strong and disciplined as a warrior. Her gemstone is a pair of garnets embedded in her hands that allows her to summon a pair of gauntlets. Cool, collected, and a woman of few words, she acts as a mentor to Steven. She's also physically the strongest member of the Gems.

Amethyst (voiced by Michaela Dietz)
The wild child of the Gems, Amethyst's gemstone is an amethyst embedded in her chest that summons an energy whip. She's the most happy and carefree of the Gems, and she loves to roughhouse with Steven and joke around. She also loves to eat and sleep, even though her body does not need either.

Pearl (voiced by Deedee Magno)
The strategist of the Gems, Pearl is a perfectionist through and through. Her gemstone is a pearl embedded in her forehead that summons a magic staff. Despite her dainty physique, she is the most outspoken of the Crystal Gems. She cares deeply about Steven, but isn't afraid to laugh a bit at his antics. She strives for logic and structure and gets easily flustered when things don't go according to plan.

Other Characters

Greg Universe (voiced by Tom Scharpling): Steven's father, who was at one point in a relationship with Steven's mother, another Crystal Gem.

Lars (voiced by Matthew Moy): A teenage worker at "The Big Donut" shop; he often picks on Steven for being a Crystal Gem member, although he might just be jealous that Steven gets to hang out with "a bunch of hot girls".

Sadie (voiced by Kate Micucci): A clerk at "The Big Donut", who shares the same shift as Lars.

When can I watch this thing?

The series will air Mondays on Cartoon Network at 8:00PM EST beginning November 4. If you want to watch it now, Amazon has the first episode available to stream for free, though it seems to be restricted to the US.

If you wanna be on top of Steven Universe business, it might behoove you to check The official behind the scenes Tumblr for cool stuff.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.
I watched the first episode on Amazon earlier today and I'm really digging it. Also, Rebecca Sugar's songs from Adventure Time are good at sticking in my head, and it's good to see she's carrying that over to her new show. Because I've been humming the theme all day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSyaXG5XsN0

And I can't believe I didn't realize Kate Micucci was doing Sadie's voice. I was racking my brain trying to figure out who it was.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
This show is so great. People need to get over the style change, the new look is gorgeous in motion. It reminds me more of Gravity Falls than Adventure Time.

Love how often characters go into unique poses/make unique facial expressions, too.

I really hope it's successful. I want it to become the next Adventure Time and get tons of 11 minute episodes so it can air practically year round.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

This show is fantastic and, as usual, Rebecca Sugar's songs are stuck in my head for all time. And it looks like all the VAs have some proven singing talent, so I'm already looking forward to new ones.

The character movement is also especially fluid and unique to each character (Pearl's ballerina-like movement being the most obvious example), which is one of those little details that still always impresses me. This is good stuff, people. Watch it.

OP posted:

first Cartoon Network original series to be created by a woman

Seriously? This seems ridiculous on its face, but then I remember the whole "boys' cartoons"/"girls' cartoons" thing. Glad to see one more step forward in getting rid of that utterly stupid bullshit.

MojoKingBee
Sep 4, 2011

Everybody, there's a new king in town.

Get ready.
The first episode was pretty good. I feel like a lot the humor comes from the characters themselves rather than straight-up jokes, which is interesting. It has great potential, and I think it just needs time to flesh itself out like Adventure Time.

I love all the characters, but one of them stood out for me. Garnet is basically everything I love in a character. She's a force to be reckoned with, she doesn't give a gently caress, and she's just plain fab. I love Garnet so much you guys!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Favorite bit...

Also, pokeball?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Say Nothing posted:

Also, pokeball?

Gotta catch 'em all, Crystal Gems!

Gotta echo what I said in the AT thread--despite the character design changes, this is still a very pretty cartoon, especially the backgrounds. The temple is just beautiful.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
I'm very excited about this show. I love the entire main cast, and especially like Steven and Pearl's interactions. Her straight-laced protectiveness against his childish energy is really cute to me :3:.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Just saw the preview episode and my first impression is that I wanted to see more of it. I especially like the characters. The VAs are perfect. It's like the story of a kid with three really cool older sisters, only with magic and monsters. :3:

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

I watched it, and that first episode was adorable! Even if I wanted to reach in and go, no, Steven, your power's from the FEELING you get from eating icecream sandwiches.

Also, Pearl's definitely the best crystal gem. Well, no, they're all the best. I like all the characters so far.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

I think I'm all on-board with the new-standard art style if they would only give the upper lips of Amethyst and Garnet some shading. Pearl could use a little something-something facially as well, but her redesign is the most successful as I see it -- which is odd because I hated it the most in initial preview. Amethyst looks like she's having an extreme allergic reaction (she did in the pilot but monochrome lips read as swollen where two-tone reads as full), and Garnet is a bit too static rather than just placid. Just a little color in their faces could make them all really pop and come alive.

Anyway, I'm glad I have another shorty-episode animated series to watch; Steven Universe holds its own decently enough as a first episode against some pretty drat good company and I'm curious to see what happens with it.

Frankenfinger
May 1, 2007
To their credit, Cartoon Network is promoting the living hell out of this show. Every commercial break has at least some ad for it, and often has the longer 2 minute full interview/promo with Rebecca Sugar. If this show fails in the same way that Problem Solvers and Robocalypse did, then it fails on its own merits at least.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Is this available on any Canadian networks yet?

Also, Amethyst, Pearl and Garnet are the id, super-ego and ego respectively.

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.
I really hate that "Look at my wacky burger backpack!" commercial. I don't think it gives people the right impression at all.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I do love how they all seem to be like loving mothers and aunts to Steven, then snap the neck of a monster.

I just hope the show gets good ratings, which it should if it comes on next to new adventure times, got a feeling the ratings might suffer because of kids thinking it's *too girly*, but then I watched sailor moon when I was 5 so maybe I'm not the best judge of this.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I do love how they all seem to be like loving mothers and aunts to Steven, then snap the neck of a monster.

That was the exact moment Pearl became my favorite.

IanJ
Dec 27, 2003

a real magic skeleton

Sulphuric Sundae posted:

I really hate that "Look at my wacky burger backpack!" commercial. I don't think it gives people the right impression at all.

We're not in control of the commercials. We make suggestions but networks always have their own strategy for how to promote it. Please don't judge this [or any other show] purely on its ad campaign! We're really trying to do a good job here!

I hope you all like it!!!!

MojoKingBee
Sep 4, 2011

Everybody, there's a new king in town.

Get ready.

IanJ posted:

We're not in control of the commercials. We make suggestions but networks always have their own strategy for how to promote it. Please don't judge this [or any other show] purely on its ad campaign! We're really trying to do a good job here!

I've learned by now to never trust CN's ad campaigns. Their ads for Adventure Time almost kept me from giving it a try, and for that it will never be forgiven.

And yeah, so far I've only seen positive feedback for the first episode. I'd say that's a good indicator that you're doing a good job!

MojoKingBee fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 31, 2013

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I love and adore this show so far, for a bunch of really good reasons, and I have high hopes for its future. Excited to see the next episode!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think I need to watch many more episodes before I'll be able to satisfactorily articulate everything I like about it. So if you could just have those delivered to me immediately, I'll get right on that.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I am so very excited this show exists. I really enjoyed the first episode and I'm looking forward to seasons more to come.

Garnet is definitely my favorite Gem. I love the accent, overall design, and that she just attains enlightenment whenever she needs her gauntlets. Radical.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Somberbrero posted:

I am so very excited this show exists. I really enjoyed the first episode and I'm looking forward to seasons more to come.

Garnet is definitely my favorite Gem. I love the accent, overall design, and that she just attains enlightenment whenever she needs her gauntlets. Radical.

Speaking of Garnet, what is that accent? I couldn't really place it. :shobon:

The only thing about this show I'm not liking unconditionally right now is...well, Steven himself unfortunately. I find him really grating in a bad way. I'm sure it'll get better in time though.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

The only thing about this show I'm not liking unconditionally right now is...well, Steven himself unfortunately. I find him really grating in a bad way. I'm sure it'll get better in time though.

I kind of agree. I don't necessarily find him grating, but I feel like he's the least deserving of being the main character. I'd rather the focus be on the Gems. Hopefully he grows over time to be a little more interesting.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If Wikipedia's article about the voice actress is to believed, West London.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Bongo Bill posted:

If Wikipedia's article about the voice actress is to believed, West London.

Ah that'd do it. The trouble with getting a bead on her accent was that, Garnet being Garnet, she very rarely speaks for any extended period of time.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Two episodes will air on Monday.

"Gem Glow" (8:00 PM ET) - Story by Joe Johnston and Jeff Liu
"Laser Light Cannon" (8:15 PM ET) - Story by Kat Morris and Rebecca Sugar

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Sweet. I thought I'd have to wait an extra week to see a new episode after watching the first one on Amazon. :)

Asobu
Sep 16, 2007

My guitar is in my BUTT!
Soiled Meat

IanJ posted:

Woah! Didn't know you were a goon! Loved your short by the way.

I'm totally in love with Steven Universe after seeing it on iTunes. There's something about the music and sound effects of this show that I really, really like. I can't put my finger on exactly what it is though. Maybe the piano?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I love that his sisters love Steven. They don't view him as a burden or anything. It's the same reason that I love how Dipper and Mabel are on Gravity Falls. It reminds you how rare it is to actually show real loving family that aren't sitcom bickering all the time

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Bass Bottles posted:

I kind of agree. I don't necessarily find him grating, but I feel like he's the least deserving of being the main character. I'd rather the focus be on the Gems. Hopefully he grows over time to be a little more interesting.

To be honest, it feels like it was originally The Crystal Gems Show and they added Steven because marketing dictated that they couldn't sell a show without a boy main character.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

...of SCIENCE! posted:

To be honest, it feels like it was originally The Crystal Gems Show and they added Steven because marketing dictated that they couldn't sell a show without a boy main character.

I don't think that was the case at all. I think it was meant to explore themes of finding yourself and also to throw a boy character into the magical girl archetype. Sounds exactly like something Rebecca Sugar would do.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

I'm in this boat after the first episode. He's just a little too annoying to be endearing. I dunno exactly how to put it. But if he were a little younger (no idea how old he actually is, but he gives off the manboy vibe) he'd be the lovable but annoying little brother. And it'd be fine. But he just seems like, I dunno, Ronnie from whomp but without the crippling self generated angst and depression.

I'm sure he'll get better but the first episode had me cringing just a bit too much when he was on screen. Which was most of the episode.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think he's just a kid.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

How the gently caress does Steven give off a manboy vibe? He's pretty obviously a kid.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Crain posted:

I'm in this boat after the first episode. He's just a little too annoying to be endearing. I dunno exactly how to put it. But if he were a little younger (no idea how old he actually is, but he gives off the manboy vibe) he'd be the lovable but annoying little brother. And it'd be fine. But he just seems like, I dunno, Ronnie from whomp but without the crippling self generated angst and depression.

I'm sure he'll get better but the first episode had me cringing just a bit too much when he was on screen. Which was most of the episode.

Isn't he literally their younger brother? And based off Sugar's younger brother?

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?

Soylentbits posted:

Isn't he literally their younger brother?

I don't know where people are getting this. Steven isn't related to Garnet, Amethyst or Pearl, he's (spoilers based on a CN preview) the son of the former Crystal Gems' Rose Quartz who seems to be deceased, and his father appears to be a recurring character who will appear in episode 2.

Anyhow, I'm stoked for this show. The pilot was awesome and the first episode was charming, and I'm sure Steven's pluckiness will start to be less of a concern to people as the series progresses and the characters have time to develop.

Millions fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 3, 2013

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Magnus Condomus posted:

I don't think that was the case at all. I think it was meant to explore themes of finding yourself and also to throw a boy character into the magical girl archetype. Sounds exactly like something Rebecca Sugar would do.

So this is the American version of Tenchi Uni-

Holy poo poo.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Am I the only person who's really put off by Amethyst's design? Her face just looks really, really odd and I can't put my finger on why.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
The puffy lips, maybe? that threw me too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
Steven's an adorable and excitable little kid and is awesome.

• Locked thread