Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
I guess I'm wrong about Steven being older. His earlier designs from the promo material made him seem older than just a kid so I guess that colored my reception of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't know about you guys but the song they play with the promos is loving savage. I would love to have that.
E: youtube.com/watch?v=JPcnUOd_AgM this.
Goddamit just link! I found it anyway, it's Thunder Bay by Hudson Mohawke and it's a monster.

Nth E: The intro song is actually really good. Sugar should totally drop an ep she's very gifted.

frank.club fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 3, 2013

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.
Yeah, Garnet's played by British singer Estelle. The only hit she's really had in the US was American Boy with Kanye.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic5vxw3eijY

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Sulphuric Sundae posted:

Yeah, Garnet's played by British singer Estelle. The only hit she's really had in the US was American Boy with Kanye.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic5vxw3eijY

Seriously?? That's crazy! I wonder if Garnet will ever sing? That seems way out of character but now I really want it to happen.

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.

Bass Bottles posted:

Seriously?? That's crazy! I wonder if Garnet will ever sing? That seems way out of character but now I really want it to happen.

I'm sure she will. Rebecca Sugar's songwriting is one of the top reasons I've been looking forward to this show.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I still ahven't watched this (I'm waiting until tomorrow) but just dropping in to say that I was at a Cinematic Titanic live show and Joel Hodgson said he's a voice of one of the characters on this show :aaaaa:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Bass Bottles posted:

Isn't that her voice singing a line or two in the theme song? Also, I seem to recall reading that Rebecca Sugar gave a lot of weight to singing ability during casting.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's started!

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

First episode is airing now! :3:

Which reminds me that I really, really want the full version of the piano piece played during the credits.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Amethyst, please swallow your food.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Very cute :3:
Also, definitely similar to adventure time in the whole "Young boy and older sister types" thing that's going on. I like it, and the music is great.

By the way, does his dad remind anyone of Homer Simpson, but with hair? It might just be the beard...

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

"Buy T-Shirt Cannons"

Frankenfinger
May 1, 2007
Jesus christ Tom Scharpling is the best casting choice in a lifetime. He's amazing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

That story about how Greg met Rose Quartz was kinda sweet :3:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

"If every pork chop were perfect, we wouldn't have hot dogs"

I can see myself getting used to that catchphrase.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm hearing that next week is another double premiere, then it goes to an episode a week.

Y Signal
Feb 17, 2009

I love you, Tiger Millionaire.
Aw, that second short was pretty touching. :3:

I'm digging this so far. Hope it can keep the quality up! Love the color palette so far.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I liked the small sentimental moment Steven's dad had after they fired the cannon.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Aww, that was actually emotionally meaningful. :3:

The art style continues to impress. Loved the cannon firing scenes.

MojoKingBee
Sep 4, 2011

Everybody, there's a new king in town.

Get ready.
Steven's dad's voice actor was amazing. Great episodes. Unfortunately, there's still the problem for me that I like every other character so much more than Steven. Which makes it unfortunate that he's the main character.

Citizen Insane
Oct 7, 2004

We come in to the world and we have to go, but we do not go merely to serve the turn of one enemy or another.

IanJ posted:

We're not in control of the commercials. We make suggestions but networks always have their own strategy for how to promote it. Please don't judge this [or any other show] purely on its ad campaign! We're really trying to do a good job here!

I hope you all like it!!!!

Please tell whoever's in charge of the background designs that they are knocking it out of the loving stratosphere. Wow. I'd watch this for the background art alone, although everything else is beautiful as well.

Love the end theme, too. It's very, very ... Final Fantasy village music/Ghibli-esque.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

MojoKingBee posted:

I've learned by now to never trust CN's ad campaigns. Their ads for Adventure Time almost kept me from giving it a try, and for that it will never be forgiven.

These companies NEVER know how to advertise cartoons, the commercials for Gravity Falls are ATROCIOUS. Even as a kid I remember hating the commercials for most cartoons I loved, I distinctly remember thinking early Spongebob commercials were terrible. It's so weird. Just let the cartoons speak for themselves instead of talking like your viewers are idiots, kids know when the media aimed at them thinks they're stupid.

Crain posted:

I guess I'm wrong about Steven being older. His earlier designs from the promo material made him seem older than just a kid so I guess that colored my reception of him.

I had been under the impression for a while that Steven was going to be this dumpy Scott Pilgrim-type nerd surrounded by hot space babes, and I wasn't really into the concept. I like what we got a lot better, it's a magical girl team that inexplicably has some little dorky kid on it trying his best to fit in. It's like if Umino had been a Sailor Scout or something.

Also, Greg is such a good dad :3: I loved him. I also wanna know about the girl in the opening with the book and the cool sunhat. What's her deal? What's her story??

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Nov 5, 2013

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

nerdbot posted:

These companies NEVER know how to advertise cartoons, the commercials for Gravity Falls are ATROCIOUS. Even as a kid I remember hating the commercials for most cartoons I loved, I distinctly remember thinking early Spongebob commercials were terrible. It's so weird. Just let the cartoons speak for themselves instead of talking like your viewers are idiots, kids know when the media aimed at them thinks they're stupid.

I had been under the impression for a while that Steven was going to be this dumpy Scott Pilgrim-type nerd surrounded by hot space babes, and I wasn't really into the concept. I like what we got a lot better, it's a magical girl team that inexplicably has some little dorky kid on it trying his best to fit in. It's like if Umino had been a Sailor Scout or something.

Also, Greg is such a good dad :3: I loved him. I also wanna know about the girl in the opening with the book and the cool sunhat. What's her deal? What's her story??

Love interest? Possibly the fire princess to his Finn?
Or a new crystal gem?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

http://stevencrewniverse.tumblr.com/post/66050089543/here-is-the-demo-for-the-steven-universe-theme

Here's the original demo for the theme song.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do you even understand how good this show is. Like, do you even?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Watched the episodes and I really like this show so far. They hint at some really cool backstory, like how Steven's mother gave up her life to bring him into the universe? :shrug: Seems like she was quite the warrior, unlike her son. :colbert:

He's not as annoying as the commercials made it seem he would be, but I do hope he figures out his powers and it's not a entire season thing where he's useless 99% of the time. Also the music was surprisingly good.

Amethyst is the best character. No fucks given.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
So the second episode aired, right? Is that going up on Amazon Instant like the first did?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Oh hey a thread for this show! Sweet!

I liked what I saw. gently caress the haters Stephen's great even if he can't rock tunes the way that Finn can. My one major complaint was that I think the show desperately needs an origin story so we can have some grounding in how the world works and what everyone's relationship is to everyone else. Is Stephen living with the Gems? Is he literally related to them? When/how did he get his gem? How are the Gems viewed by the larger society? That sort of thing. I'd be willing to bet that these and other questions were answered in an unaired pilot (for those who don't know most cartoon pilots look like poo poo so they can't be aired) but that's not exactly helping me understand things right now. Maybe it will get leaked online or something.

Still, that's a nitpick though. Pretty much everything else was a lot of fun and I'm really looking foreword to next week.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

readingatwork posted:

Oh hey a thread for this show! Sweet!

I liked what I saw. gently caress the haters Stephen's great even if he can't rock tunes the way that Finn can. My one major complaint was that I think the show desperately needs an origin story so we can have some grounding in how the world works and what everyone's relationship is to everyone else. Is Stephen living with the Gems? Is he literally related to them? When/how did he get his gem? How are the Gems viewed by the larger society? That sort of thing. I'd be willing to bet that these and other questions were answered in an unaired pilot (for those who don't know most cartoon pilots look like poo poo so they can't be aired) but that's not exactly helping me understand things right now. Maybe it will get leaked online or something.

Still, that's a nitpick though. Pretty much everything else was a lot of fun and I'm really looking foreword to next week.

Could be handled in flashbacks also.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The pilot was actually on Cartoon Network's website this summer and it was not an origin story. All you need to know is that Steven lives with the Crystal Gems, is not related to them, and his mother was a Crystal Gem who gave her life so he could be born.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

readingatwork posted:

Is Stephen living with the Gems? Is he literally related to them? When/how did he get his gem? How are the Gems viewed by the larger society? That sort of thing. I'd be willing to bet that these and other questions were answered in an unaired pilot (for those who don't know most cartoon pilots look like poo poo so they can't be aired)

I don't know how many of you are aware but the pilot was leaked/released (??) some months ago (it's been taken down now even though it was hosted on official channels, there are still clips of it on youtube) and it looked absolutely drop-dead gorgeous, to the point that the comments for the show promo included hordes of people groaning about the notorious change in character design. I groaned a bit too but looking at these first two eps I think I'll get used to the new look pretty quickly.

Also the pilot didn't elaborate much on the story other than "they're Crystal Gems and they save the world like all the time".

e: :argh:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I liked the show but I also think I liked the animation more than the content. The content wasn't bad and quite charming but it was still kind of average and the animation was anything but.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
I just caught it on the cartoon network site, after missing it on TV.

Man. I had high expectations for this show, and I think it surpassed all of them. All the Gems-Ladies are awesome, and Steven is cute in his silly, non-serious way that kids are. It has some major heart to it.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 8 days!)

Soonmot posted:

So the second episode aired, right? Is that going up on Amazon Instant like the first did?

Yeah it's up there with episode 1 as a pair. Only in SD though.

pookerbug
Jan 21, 2006

the vitreous humourist
Watched this last night and really dug it. My only concern is that they went with a child actor to voice the main character.

This is fine if they plan on growing and developing Steven along the same timeline as his voice actor (ex: Jeremy Shada and Finn), but I would hate to see them have to re-cast once he hits puberty.

Amazing World of Gumball recently had to deal with this since the lead actors aged out of their roles, and while the new cast does a fine job, the characters just don't have the same energy or chemistry as before.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

axleblaze posted:

I liked the show but I also think I liked the animation more than the content. The content wasn't bad and quite charming but it was still kind of average and the animation was anything but.

I agree with this. The content is of course above average, but not particularly gripping. The animation is fantastic, however.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I think this show is more focused on character and story than humor. I wouldn't describe it as "funny." There are funny moments, but the best word to describe it is "charming." It sort of reminds me of Azumanga Daioh or Yotsuba. It's very different in tone from Adventure Time or Regular Show with their rapid-fire jokes. Steven Universe is much more slow.

It seems like people have been trained to think that western cartoons need to funny, and that if they're not funny then they've failed. I'm worried that this attitude might work against the show, but I personally am super impressed and excited to see where they go with it.

Steven still feels a little underwhelming compared to the Gems. He's cute, but not very relatable. You're not so much rooting for him as you are rooting for other characters to solve the situation for him. But character driven shows need time to figure out who the characters are. Hopefully we'll see lots of growth.

And drat, the animation really is gorgeous. That entire sequence with the Red Eye at the end was awesome.

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 5, 2013

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I'm not really concerned with it trying to be as funny as Adventure Time. I just want the show to reach the point where I don't find myself, every time Steven is on screen, wish I was focusing more on <any other character>.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Captain Oblivious posted:

I'm not really concerned with it trying to be as funny as Adventure Time. I just want the show to reach the point where I don't find myself, every time Steven is on screen, wish I was focusing more on <any other character>.

Also, I had a different impression of the characters from the pilot (an impression I preferred). Pearl seems too nice and Amethyst seems more dumb than subversive, and Garnet doesn't seem to do anything when for whatever reason I pegged her as a leader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I am a bitter old bastard who kinda hates kids and everyone else and should be as far removed from this show's target audience as possible, but I actually found it rather charming and sweet. The focus seems to be on relationships as opposed to Funny Jokes or situational stuff, kind of a unique approach that feels very relaxed and genuine. I also appreciate that its humor isn't crass or zany or laden with innuendo... I mean, I like all those things, but it's nice to see something different for a change.

Dunno if I'll ever be a big fan of this show, but it seems pretty cool and I hope it does well. We need more women making cartoons, if nothing else.

(also Amy is pretty cool, she and I could totally hang if I was a fat little cartoon boy)

• Locked thread