Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

A friend of mine suggested I watch this, and wow, I basically binged it, looks like I picked a perfect time to do so too.

I'm sad because I really liked Lapis, she was probably my second favorite gem next to Pearl. Of course, now Garnet is up there too. And Amethyst is really close too. Really, I think it's hard for me to pick a favorite of anything in this,which is great. I like all the characters, there's not a single one (besides maybe Ronaldo) that makes me go 'ugh this person is on screen, great'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Tollymain posted:

not even lars? :v:

(lars is terrible, but in a very relatable way)

Lars is actually one of my favorite non-gems! I think he's a jerk, but the times when his nice side shine through and his relationship with Sadie is adorable and great. Ronaldo is weird and makes me think he's gonna do something dangerous at some point in the future, which I'm afraid of. I still sorta like him despite that!

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Bongo Bill posted:

Ronaldo already did something dangerous, literally kidnapping Steven.

Well, I mean more dangerous than that, like get his hands on gem tech and get turned into a monster or something. Or end up working to help Peridot after being lied to or something.

But yeah, that was pretty hosed up too.

I think Peridot is just weird because gems are weird, and aren't like humans. They can be anywhere from three feet tall to nine feet tall (as far as we've seen so far), without fusing, in their natural forms. So they have a huge variance in what they look like, because that's just how it is. But it could be!

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Captain Oblivious posted:

I watch your show on Amazon TV, and love it! Steven Universe is seriously the best thing on TV and I haven't had so much raw fun with a show since Avatar: The Last Airbender.

This is me too. I went into it expecting a dumb kids show that I'd hate, and yeah it's dumb and fun at points but that's fine, it's good. Every single episode made me laugh at least once, and (I am admittedly a bit over emotional, so this might be weird) I cried a dozen or so times in watching it.

I think my favorite episode was actually Rose's Scabbard for that reason, as much as I love this song and the whole episode.

Edit: basically, the fun bits are fun without being at the expense of drama, and the dramatic bits don't ruin the fun bits, and I think that's important and great. Also the music is great. And the character designs. And the characters themselves.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

So I put that fan made peridot rap as my alarm now. So now I will be awoken at 6am every day with "DON'T TOUCH THAT."

And I've made a kinda badly edited ringtone out of the rest of the song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I think Rose wasn't as perfect as the show would like you to believe so far.

Jasper admired her tactics in the first war.
She took Pearl into her army when it was clear Pearl loved her, not the humans, and she didn't return those feelings.
She made pearl feel like she was special and that she was trusted fully, unlike the others, when she was in fact hiding informatioj from her.
She was hiding information in general. Pearl praises her for how effective her tactics were and how she knew stuff had to be hidden for peoples own good - but that seems to be more a statement off practicality, not a 'good' thing.
There was obviously some kind of reason she couldn't heal the monsters.

I still think she was an incredibly loving and caring person, but I think saying 'she always did the Right thing not the Strategic' is wrong. Everything we know about her during the war admires practicality, battle tactics, and effectiveness. Its clear she had to do a lot of hard things during the war that got a lot of people killed, thus the 'no such thing as a good war' and how she apparently neverforgave herself.

I doubt that we're gonna learn she is actually Mega Hitler, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that hey, maybe her best friends who she saved personally (at the cost of other people dying) aren't the most reliable and unbiased narrators.

Edit: Another Bad Thing: Look at Lapis. We don't know how long she was in there, but when she yelled about how the Crystal Gems all knew she was trapped in the mirror and did nothing, none of them defended themselves. They knew, and that means Rose knew because none of them would lie to her. She never even tried to heal Lapis as far as we know.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 15, 2015

• Locked thread