Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Bongo Bill posted:

I got the impression that, at the time of the recording, Greg did not know the part about Rose and Steven being unable to exist at the same time. He seemed awfully carefree for someone whose wife was making a video about how she would never know her son.

Yeah, it definitely seems like it has been implied before that her disappearing came as a surprise to him; she even says it personally to the camera rather than in any way that he might have risked overhearing, which suggests that she intentionally kept it from him. Considering how much better she seemed to understand human emotions and sentimentality than the other gems, that would make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Mimir posted:

You say that, but just wait until the tournament arc starts and Steven has to gather the seven "Soul Crystals" to free Garnet from suspended animation.

Don't even joke you monster.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

ScorpioMajesty posted:

The more I watch this episode the more deliberate Garnett's words seem to be and the more it seems like the entire episode was Garnett manipulating Steven into being less careless. Not like that's necessarily a bad thing. A smidge screwed up, but I guess she ment well. The seen that really drives this home for me is when her and Steven were at the fry shop and she was describing all the ways steven could get hurt or die.

Owing to the nature of Garnet's ability to see potential futures, I get the feeling that she can't help but be manipulative; her only other option is to say nothing and let things play out as they will, since she can reasonably intuit any potential outcome to a given situation (and even more so if she influences it directly). It's the burden of foresight.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

So it's Paper Mario with SU? I am... so down for this.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
All I know is that the ending of this was the most anime thing I have ever seen in a western cartoon.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Crain posted:

So the final scene has had me thinking. When Steven and Pearl are riding away on Lion she looks disquieted. Now that could have been from riding on Lion who she doesn't like, or by humoring Steven some more by riding on Lion which is two things she doesn't really like, but then she looks at him. If this were an earlier episode or almost any other show targeted generally at kids she would have softened after looking at Steven. But Pearl doesn't, she maintains the same disquieted, almost pained, expression and then just stares ahead.

I'm not really sure where to go with that conclusion. I've typed out a bunch of ideas and they really don't seem right. But considering what we know about this week, I'm worried.

I think she's just shocked, or in shock. She's unearthing qualities about herself that she wasn't aware she possessed, and she doesn't like them; she's someone who needs to be in control, and "angry emotional outbursts directed at a child you're supposed to be protecting" is about as opposed to that as you can get. I think it's going to be a while before she's really okay again, but she wasn't really okay to begin with.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Bobulus posted:

I like the idea of humanity one day reaching the stars, contacting other intelligent life, petitioning to join some Federation of Planets, and the very first initiation request is that we change our planet's name to something easier to remember, like Humanworld.

"What do you call your primary star?"

"Uh... the Sun?"

"Uhthesunworld 3 it is, then."

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
I'm of the opinion that part of what makes fusions work is having some kind of core emotion shared by the fused gems, and the power of that bond is what makes the fusion stable. I also think that corresponds inversely with the size and cohesiveness of the resulting fusion, so that the reason why Malachite (and Sugilite, and Alexandrite) are such giant messes is because they're the result of fusions that don't really work. That would also explain why Garnet is so small comparatively, since she's the result of a fusion between two gems who are just honestly in love with each other and close in a way that no other fusion we've seen so far can match. That might also explain why Stevonnie was really tall but not, like, monstrously so, because Steven and Connie really are close and care about each other but still have more to learn about one another.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

XboxPants posted:

Man, Amethyst & Pearl have been getting along better and better lately; does that mean if they become close enough, that we'd lose our favorite Giant Woman? :saddowns:

I think Amethyst and Pearl are too different to ever truly get to that level, but I think that even if they did Opal would still be a thing. It's just that she'd be more... natural, I guess? Like, rather than clearly being A Special Thing, she'd feel like she could be any other gem. The same way Garnet does.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Bongo Bill posted:

Centipeetle, too, is certain to show up again.

I think I'm most excited for what feels like the inevitable point where Steven is able to properly fix the damaged and corrupted Gems and builds an army out of the monsters who have been the Crystal Gems' primary opponents for millennia. Of course Centipeetle is the one I want to see most.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
I'm not sure I agree with the notion that Jasper admiring her tactics is immediate proof they were lovely; in the context of the scene, she's leading into the fact that Rose becoming Steven disgusts her, as though that is the point where a plot of Rose's went too far. And as a soldier, even a combat-loving soldier as Jasper clearly is, it makes sense to respect the actions of a commander who is able to both effectively accomplish a goal and prevent deaths, especially if they're being prevented on both sides.

Of course I could be wrong and Rose could be personally responsible for the destruction of countless gems and humans. But I don't think that's the only option worth discussing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't think Jasper and Peridot necessarily reflect the views of the rest of Homeworld. Peridot is just a working schlub who got a simple assignment to salvage some old hardware on a planet with no real threats on it. Jasper's an unlikeable jerk who volunteered for the mission mainly because she thinks she's some hot poo poo and wants to beat Rose Quartz, but I doubt whether she has much standing on Homeworld.

Basically I hope this series ends with Steven buying a milkshake for the head honcho gem and the invasion getting called off because of friendship or something.

The final scene (barring the epilogue) is Steven giving the fused Diamonds the very last Cookie Cat as a token of friendship, halting their efforts to conquer the universe.

• Locked thread