Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Steven will fuse with hamburger backpack and be nigh unstoppable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Bongo Bill posted:

They are gems that have bodies, and in a similar sense, Steven is a body that has a gem.

Amethyst likes food but it's clear she experiences it much differently than a human would; for her, it's apparently all about the (still apparently novel) sensations of mastication and digestion. Taste might enter into it as well, but there's absolutely no nourishment happening - contrast with Steven's appreciation of food, which is absolutely tied to the idea of nourishment. Food nourishes his body as love nourishes his soul, but that's not true of his family, who are more alien than most people realize, especially when considered collectively.

(The gems' collective lack of understanding of, or interest in, food goes a way to explaining why Steven has such a poor diet, too.)

I'm not sure if Steven actually needs to eat, he's capable of altering his mass and age after all.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

If he ever pulls a stunt like last night's again he'll be doing a test on it over a thousand year period.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

That was a pretty neat episode alright and I hope I never see Stevekira fanart.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Gaunab posted:

She trusts Steven. It's as simple as that.

I think you mean she believes in Steven.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I have to admit I thought of that too. Still Steven is such a genuinely good kid, I think Steven's handling of the situation showed some real maturity on his part.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I wonder if this will drive Steven to work harder on his abilities, maybe try to figure out some stuff while away from the gems? Now that I think about it, most of his abilities manifested when he was away from the gems... and when he was with Connie. Hell lion took tbe to a fairly serious combat simulator and just let them go at it.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

If I had to guess I'd say they hollow out planets to get minerals to make new gems.

Kinda messed up that sentient gems are being used to power devices though, maybe that's what they do with the remains?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

DrSnakeLaser posted:

I went back and looked through the tumblr again. Ronaldo theorises about the earth being hollow or being hollowed out for nefarious polymorphic rock purposes more than a couple of times, even before the "sneeple" incident. The gems have gone on several missions inside cave structures as well, maybe they were inside the earth?

You are the wisest medicinal reptile that posts in this thread.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

HorseRenoir posted:

Yeah, I think the bacteriophage shape of those drillers are the biggest giveaway. Bacteriophage viruses latch on to a host, inject their own genetic code, and then use the host's materials to reproduce, killing the cell in the process. I think the biggest question now is why the Gems are doing this in the first place.

Seems like colonization at first glance don't warhammer 40k orcs just drop spores on planets and let them fend for themselves? Also it would explain all the gem creatures they fight and why they collect the gems and store them in bubbles since they mentioned Rose trying to rehabilitate those creatures but never succeeding. Earthborne gems may be mostly faulty (exception Amethyst) and turn into corrupt monsters due to some property of earth. Maybe Rose thought creating a gem/human hybrid would create a being that could better understand the gem creatures Steven did have success with taming centepeedle and it has a humanoid light form in between shifting from gem to centipede.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I'm starting see why she chose to sing this song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8Vp7XgqcUM

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG7_bVwhr6I&t=61s

I just copied it from the box that pops up in chrome and it seemed to work fine.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I hadn't thought of it, but yeah it makes sense that he'd be stronger than a normal human his age.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Well she was writing down reports and going to locate and re-activate kindergarten so I think it's much more likely she's part of a society, I wouldn't be too surprised if they were at war with something because yeah, she did bolt pretty quick at the first sign of non-gem culture.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Triskelli posted:

Haven't seen every episode, but I did see "Keep Beach City Weird" and "sentient polymorphic rocks" seems pretty on-point.

But it begs the question, how the hell are the Crystal Gems still a secret to people? They fight monsters in the middle of the day out in the open, there are Gem ruins all over the drat place, and there's very little concern to making sure they go unseen, or really avoiding collateral damage.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to me either, but according to the gems the warp gates have been disabled for thousands of years (space race), so the big gem events probably happened before most of humanity's recorded history and probably occurred well out of sight of humanity. All the gem spots they go to have some kind of defenses but if people knew there was a duplication wand inside one of them god drat you couldn't keep us out. Or maybe the human population on this planet is far lower than our own due to... reasons.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

They snagged the shooting star before they found out about the homeworld warp being reactivated, I wonder what they were planning on doing with it?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Haven't seen the episode but wanted to talk about the other thing.

Crossing over a show that is consistently the most vocally hated on the network and the show consistently most vocally loved is so perfect it has to be extremely deliberate on someones part. A real clever and cruel prank on internet cartoon nerds.

It'll probably have something to do with crying breakfast friends.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

As soon as he said what he wasn't comfortable with I knew exactly where it was going to go. :( Such a good show.

Triskelli posted:

That's the beautiful thing about the Internet: it's able to connect mildly autistic or autistic acting people and collaborate their effort into a single work of super-autism.

e:

These are incredible.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Amethyst teaching Steven how to shapeshift now has a much darker connotation to it.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Danger Diabolik posted:

It seems like the lighter the description is, the heavier the episode is.

The T-Shirt episode is probably going to mess me up.

"Steven must confront his darker urges after a string of brutal murders rocks beach city." Best picnic episode ever! :

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

OldTennisCourt posted:

So did she mean that as in restarting the kindergarten or, considering her next action was to immediately try and kill Steven, wiping out humanity? I suppose those things aren't mutually exclusive.

Wiping out whatever the dominate species was a priority. I think Peridot assumed that if there were gems on the planet they'd have wiped out the humans, but that might just be a side effect of kindergarten.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Mercury Hat posted:

Pretty bold of Steven Universe to establish a Young Earth Creationist alternate universe with that 6000 years bit.

What's up with Connie's mom doubting the legitimacy of Steven's name? :mad:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

When you think about it, one of the more interesting developments is that while Steven still trusts the gems he no longer believes they always know best and is actively questioning their decisions and coming up with alternative solutions. He's standing his ground almost to the point of defiance on some issues. Steven is becoming a leader. :)

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Mondlicht posted:

As cool as it would be for SU to go all the way harsh and kill Greg I'm not sure they could get away with it. I can see something like Homeworld finding out Steven is half gem and wanting to study him, and Greg trying to sacrifice himself instead and getting accidentally kidnapped for x amount of episodes.

That seems likely, assuming Peridot has a red eye left.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Whatever happens next week, it's going to be pretty interesting.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Brightman posted:

I have a pen made out of this stuff. I love it.

:stare: Next week is gonna be something.

Maybe we'll even see Pearl shapeshift, or find out why she chooses not to.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Say Nothing posted:

We still haven't seen the Pearl and Garnet fusion.

What if we already have, but we just didn't know it?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

There's more than a few possibilities for the Garnet/Pearl fusion's weapon.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I'm still wondering what the hell Lion actually is, seems like it's Rose's familiar but I'm baffled as to why the other gems didn't know about it. I think it's definitely going to factor into Steve's training with Rose's sword, it already took Steven to a combat training ground once before after all.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Lobsterhead posted:

Guilty as charged, DBZ can be blamed for my love of SU fusions :v: There are six new episodes to get through this week so we'll have plenty of other stuff to talk about soon at least.

Now that it's been established that Gems visit other planets, wipe out the dominant species then strip them for resources how soon until Steven becomes that which they fear most the legendary super-saya-gem?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Hihohe posted:

Relax, were still in the dragon ball era. First hes got 2 tenkaichi tournaments. Then hes got to resurrect amethyst and defeat queen Peridot. THEN we are In steven universe Z.

Do you think Steven would be able to ride the Flying Nimbus?

Since you need a pure heart I'd say he could probably ride multiple nimbus clouds at once.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

That was amazing and I laughed so hard when Steven did an awesome jump out of Lion on a bicycle.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Zebia posted:

This probably doesn't really matter, but in that conversation flashback who do you think said "You're wonderful" to who? It cuts away from Hologram Rose's face so you can't tell. The only reason I'm wondering about it is that, to me, it could lend a different meaning to Pearl's reaction when Steven says "I think you're pretty great."

Yeah, Steven could be echoing his mom's feelings towards Pearl, or Pearl's towards his mom.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I wonder what they did with the remains, Lapis Lazuli had to end up in that mirror somehow.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I can see why they'd be interested in such a unique gem.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

KungFu Grip posted:

Anything that happens in Steven Universe now I feel like is foreshadowing. Like when the camera focused on Garnett's hand and she finally showed Greg respect.

She's trying to make things right before she's called back in for one last mission.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

axleblaze posted:

Neither of the imaged Roobanguy posted will load for me :(

One of them is an announcement that Steven Universe has been contracted for 158 episodes and the other is a gif that defies description, so I rehosted it in the hope that it will load for you.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Triskelli posted:

Sneak peak of Garnet's song
No! My pompadour will defeat your funky 'fro!

drat. :(

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

"Stay here, if something happens, Dad will need a new son!" Steven faces the possibility of his own death with courage, pragmatism and adorableness. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I can only hope Ronaldo will get to blog about the giant hand. :allears:

• Locked thread