Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

Cannot Find Server posted:

Clearly they need to get Gran Turismo's sound team on this

Don't be silly, it's a problem and they should fix it before they call it a finished product :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

MUFFlNS posted:

I love the location they chose for Rally Di Positano, but I think the actual track layout itself was pretty bad and not very fun to drive around

:ughh:

Well, there will never be accounting for taste.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

Don't be silly, it's a problem and they should fix it before they call it a finished product :colbert:

it was a joke :ssh:

Seriously, Forza has the best sound design team out there, it'll be addressed.

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.
$399 for the wheel ms is offering to sell me, please tell me there is going to be a less costly option.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
Controllers master race.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

wernox posted:

$399 for the wheel ms is offering to sell me, please tell me there is going to be a less costly option.

Yea, a PS3 with a copy of GT6.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

L_Harrison posted:

Controllers master race.
Maybe that's true. I'm not convinced Forza doesn't give controller users a break, judging from replays. You may say that's just sour grapes, but I've watched a ton of controller replays, with the car constantly jerking left and right on straights and crazy corrections during turns that I am sure, as a wheel-only driver, I could not get away with and make the same lap time.

Call me jaded, jealous, stupid, or whatever you will, I think I am probably right.

As a sim junky, I refuse to drive a car with a controller unless I have no other choice, and if that means slower laps then I'm ok with that.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Maybe that's true. I'm not convinced Forza doesn't give controller users a break, judging from replays. You may say that's just sour grapes, but I've watched a ton of controller replays, with the car constantly jerking left and right on straights and crazy corrections during turns that I am sure, as a wheel-only driver, I could not get away with and make the same lap time.

Call me jaded, jealous, stupid, or whatever you will, I think I am probably right.

As a sim junky, I refuse to drive a car with a controller unless I have no other choice, and if that means slower laps then I'm ok with that.

I'm sure more people would play with wheels and thereby mitigate the gaminess of the controller if there were decent wheels supported by Forza apart from the $400+ pieces of branded FerrariŽ and PorscheŽ merchandise.

But until they decide to try making that a reality, I will continue to giggle like a small child at the ~0.5-second per lap advantage I have over wheel users thanks to things like the one-touch button clutch.

SealHammer fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 4, 2013

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

Wheeee posted:

Yea, a PS3 with a copy of GT6.

If I wanted to play GT6 I'd be posting in a GT6 thread herr console warrior.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Dr. Faustus posted:

Of course it gives controller users a break, they have a 1" range of motion to simulate a car's entire steering rack. The game has to wing it and make a guesstimate as to what the player wanted, and give them the benefit of the doubt when it's not sure.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Dr. Faustus posted:

If you use a controller and turn on sim steering, that break pretty much vanishes. Saving a car is a whole lot more difficult and you can't just throw the stick from side to side if you start to lose the tail coming out of a turn. Sim steering makes driving a good bit more difficult, but also more satisfying and at least for me, allows faster lap times.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I have never had any issues with using the stock controller with Forza 2, 3 and 4. I can hold a pretty good slide with it. Yes, I did look a steering wheel for the X360 for about 10 seconds, but they were impossible to find or import into Australia. Plus the rest of my Forza friends use the stock controller.

Peppi
May 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Why can't they fix the floating tire syndrome in open wheel cars?
In the Atom videos cockpit view it looks like the front right wheel is hovering a few inches above ground.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"

If you use a controller and turn on sim steering, that break pretty much vanishes. Saving a car is a whole lot more difficult and you can't just throw the stick from side to side if you start to lose the tail coming out of a turn. Sim steering makes driving a good bit more difficult, but also more satisfying and at least for me, allows faster lap times.

I genuinely astonish myself with how many "bad" situations I can drive out of now. But, there are still insufferable tank slappers, what can you do?

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat

Peppi posted:

Why can't they fix the floating tire syndrome in open wheel cars?
In the Atom videos cockpit view it looks like the front right wheel is hovering a few inches above ground.

At first I wondered what you're talking about, then I watched the video again. It seem to me to be an issue where you can see too much of the texture detail for how fast you're moving, ie the textured roughness doesn't blur the way it might in real life. Re-watching those videos also made me remember how fun racing with goons was and Forza is in general so I went and popped for the LE of the game and tried to preorder and xbone too :( I did so good telling myself I don't need any of these things until now too...

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

burtonos posted:

I genuinely astonish myself with how many "bad" situations I can drive out of now. But, there are still insufferable tank slappers, what can you do?

Drive the Tesla for a while if you want some insufferable tank slappers :twisted:

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 4, 2013

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

You can't power off of rumble strips! :argh:

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
If you power off of rumble strips, you're gonna have a Bad Time!

Fernando Alonso was forced to go to the circuit medical center after Sunday's Abu Dhabi GP due to a 25G impact from going over rumble strips after his final pit stop exit.

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

So, I was pretty skeptical of the $400 Thurstmaster wheel. After looking at the features, though, isn't it basically a T500 RS with a different wheel design and cheap pedals? The features look similar to me, which means $400 is a pretty okay price (the T500 is $550, with better pedals). But if I'm wrong, I'd love for someone to correct me before I pull the trigger.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

SealHammer posted:

I'm sure more people would play with wheels and thereby mitigate the gaminess of the controller if there were decent wheels supported by Forza apart from the $400+ pieces of branded FerrariŽ and PorscheŽ merchandise.

But until they decide to try making that a reality, I will continue to giggle like a small child at the ~0.5-second per lap advantage I have over wheel users thanks to things like the one-touch button clutch.
I agree with you. The state of wheel hardware (on the XBox) has been a serious problem simply due to Microsoft's greed. I have a wonderful 900 degree Logitech Driving Force Pro that I bought for GT4. IMHO, I should have been able to use that with my XBox360. Because I bought an MS Wireless wheel, when the Fanatecs started coming out with their cool three metal pedal setups and cool shifters, I wanted. Badly! But after buying two wheels already I was just not gonna drop the coin (esp. after reading about the long backorders and steep entry price and QC problems (which were eventually fixed, I think, but still...)

So now I have to decide between gambling on the Mad Catz wheel (which looks like a much more serious product than they are known for) and the Thrustmaster, which promises three-pedal setups eventually. I'm torn, but I'll probably go the Thrustmaster route.

The thing is, now I have to learn to drive, like it's second-nature, with a controller. I'm 42 years old and the thought of lap after grueling lap clutching a little controller makes my hands ache already.

Welp, until I can bring a wheel and a stand home, I'll be finding out. I've always used sim steering with the wheel and I intend to use no assists with the controller as well. So... I'll be even less in control than usual I guess. I hope I get used to it, because I will be stuck with the controller for awhile.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 4, 2013

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
You'll be fine. You just won't have any fun.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Ether Frenzy posted:

You'll be fine. You just won't have any fun.

Sim steering makes the game a LOT more fun, at least to me. Having to actually drive the car and having the game push your face in poo poo if you gently caress up makes it more exciting, and in no game ever have I had more fun losing the rear end and spinning out of a turn. There's a reason I usually laugh when it happens (well, after the initial 'gently caress GODDAMMIT' anyway).

Also, for anyone who is on the fence and thinking about skipping Forza 5 for now and getting GT6 instead, so far it looks very promising and it seems that Polyphony has fixed most of the mistakes of 5. Also they just announced that this thing will be driveable:

Game of the year all years

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
What I'm saying is that driving with a wheel is a million times more fun even if it isn't faster :)

And, knowing Polyphony, that car won't have sufficient power or grip to get up a 1% grade. Laps at the 'Ring will be hilarious.

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

You've gotta be out of your gord to skip Forza 5 for GT6. They can say whatever they want, GT5 was a train wreck.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Faceless Clock posted:

You've gotta be out of your gord to skip Forza 5 for GT6. They can say whatever they want, GT5 was a train wreck.

I'd argue that you'd have to be out of your gourd to buy an Xbone because that thing has been a thousand times the trainwreck GT5 was. And as I said, GT6 looks a LOT better than GT5. Like it looks legit really good.

I mean, I don't want to argue about consoles, all I'm saying is I feel a lot more safe spending $60 on GT6 than I would spending $560 on an Xbone and Forza 5. If GT6 sucks then I'm out 60 bucks, if even half of the purported problems with the XB1 are true then you've spent $500 on something you might not have actually wanted.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 5, 2013

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Forza 5 looks like the obvious winner, but GT6 has been in development for three years rather than two, and is developed for an established console rather than being pushed for a launch title.

I have a feeling that Forza 6 is going to be as much of a graphical improvement as Forza 3 was, since the first game on new hardware is always going to be less ambitious. Unless they make a quick PS4 port of GT6, it's going to be a long time before the system gets a true Gran Turismo game.

Are the Forza Horizon developers working on a new entry? Hopefully with the extra power of the new system, they can get it running at 60 fps with the open-world environment. Plus, they're located in Leamington Spa, and I used to live there :britain:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
GT6 might get a boost for now, but how many people are going to say "Hey, bust out your old PS3 and let's play GT6" in a year? It will be a while until GT7 comes out for PS4.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Cojawfee posted:

GT6 might get a boost for now, but how many people are going to say "Hey, bust out your old PS3 and let's play GT6" in a year? It will be a while until GT7 comes out for PS4.

I still bust out my N64 for San Francisco Rush :colbert:

And I kinda don't expect either console to sell great after launch for a year or so.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...
Anyone else get an email with a code to get a 2010 Audi R8 5.2 FSI in Forza 5 on launch day?

Of course, the code doesn't work for me....

Prettypanda
Nov 11, 2008

Pixelboy posted:

Anyone else get an email with a code to get a 2010 Audi R8 5.2 FSI in Forza 5 on launch day?

Of course, the code doesn't work for me....

It might work once you actually have the game and an Xbox One...

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

Game of the year all years

Oh look, a skin that will actually handle like it's supposed too!

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

I still bust out my N64 for San Francisco Rush :colbert:

And I kinda don't expect either console to sell great after launch for a year or so.

Yeah, but you're loving crazy. I mean that in the nicest way.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I am crazy. Crazy about the Rush series :love:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
All I have to say is this:

GT and FM are awesome.

But which one lets you paint and customize your car? Does GT6 have that, now? If not, FM5 wins because I *love* painting and decorating my cars.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Both series' have separate strengths. Gran Turismo has a way better track selection overall; Brands Hatch alone got me super pumped for GT6 because Brands Hatch is FUCKIN AWESOME. GT also has better music, and has a lot of cool concept cars that are fun to hoon around in. And a cool track editor that is apparently going to be even better. I was satisfied in my GT5 purchase for the track editor alone, because making tracks with giant deathjumps makes my inner middle-schooler happy as hell.

Forza is better for car customization and, at least compared to GT5, a lot better about letting you just buy whatever the gently caress car you want, although it looks like GT6 is improving on the latter of those two substantially and Polyphony have talked about more customization options in the future. Both games have a good pool of cars to choose from, with both having their own niche cars that the other doesn't. Forza had an infinitely better online component than GT5, and the car class system is a lot more complete and substantial than in GT5. On the other hand, GT5 has night racing, which at least for me is a big selling point because night racing really is a hell of a lot of fun. Weather I could take or leave, but it's at least nice to have the option to make the 'Ring a whole lot harder.

The real major thing for GT6 is that Polyphony seem very, very aware of GT5's largest flaws, and patched and worked on GT5 until it went from being absolute garbage to at least being decent. GT6 so far seems like they are working hard to continue addressing those same issues for the most part, which is nice because beneath all the bullshit, GT5 was still fun to drive around in. Give GT6 a better framework around that physics engine and we're in business.

I'm cautiously excited for GT6, and if I had the money and thought I'd ever play anything other than just Forza 5 on it, I'd be buying an Xbone for that too. Both games right now look pretty good, and I hope Forza 5 is great for those of you who are actually buying it, just as I hope GT6 isn't a steaming pile of poo poo like GT5 was.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

Golly I wish there were a GT thread.

edit: oh wait here it is...

Whats New?
Everything, from the looks of it. Polyphony Digital has completely revamped Gran Turismo 5. All new lightning and shadow effects, a completely new sound effects system that sounds like it will be patched into the game at or a little bit after launch. Whole new physics and simulation model that we got to test out over the summer that was pretty amazing.

:laugh:

burtonos fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 5, 2013

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

I thought this was a swingers party...
Launch trailer is here including a MASSIVE new car announcement. You need to watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__6lyUbBdWM

THE LOTUS E21! :flashfap:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
gently caress ME IN THE GOAT rear end

The more I see of this game the more it hurts that I am not driving it yet.

I... I think I might be a fanboy. Someone talk me off the ledge.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

All gold everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Goldghini.

• Locked thread