Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Coconut Indian posted:

When you walk by #7, you're supposed to hear "Heather" in a whisper but in all the years I've played this game, I've only triggered it twice.

I believe #7 also sometimes wiggles a bit the first time you get close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I really love that this guy's whole beef is "man, gently caress doing torture and murder to bring salvation to all mankind, torture and murder to save like half a dozen dudes is what it's really all about".

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

...let's just put this away.

Part 18: Full Circle
Who would put a train on these train tracks?

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

The How I Met Your Father spinoff doesn't star The Mother, but a whole new set of characters :eng101:

They're just taking the concept and doing it again.

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
I'm amazed that any of the characters can take Vincent seriously, much less act completely on his orders. He constantly acts like a village idiot from a giallo. Even by Silent Hill standards, he has "do not touch or listen to" written all over him.

(I do like Heather's mocking little smile with the passive-aggressive "thanks" she gives in that scene; I'd missed that in my playthrough. The game does a excellent job of using body language to characterize its protagonist.)

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I don't know how you missed that save point the first time. :psyduck:

Still entertaining though. I can't imagine what the rage would have been if you had actually had to go back before all of that stuff.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Alright so. Okay. I just wanna run through that fuckin' rollercoaster scene's logic again, just so we can all be clear on it.

Heather in the dream does not know the rollercoaster is coming + the rollercoaster is turned on = did not dodge it, dead in the dream

Heather irl knows the rollercoaster is coming + the rollercoaster is turned on = did not dodge it, dead irl

Heather irl knows the rollercoaster is coming + turned it off + DOES NOT KNOW the rollercoaster turned back on = dodged it, survived????

Like I can understand that the rollercoaster being off during the cutscene gave her an extra second to find a spot to jump down to but she couldn't have known it turned back on and so the whole problem looped back around on itself and somehow she still changed the outcome what the fuuuuck

This let's play keeps making me hate my favorite video game. :smith:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Apr 26, 2014

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

CJacobs posted:

Sorry but I hope you can still enjoy the time you had with it, because we certainly can't.

PS obviously there are things about the SH series that I really love but the actual playing of the game/dealing with it's endless bullshit is not one of those things.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh don't get me wrong I already knew that SH 3 (and also kinda SH2) is full of crazy bullshit. I just never noticed that it's full of the bad kind of crazy bullshit as well until just recently.

CaptainSweden
May 3, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Alright so. Okay. I just wanna run through that fuckin' rollercoaster scene's logic again, just so we can all be clear on it.

Heather in the dream does not know the rollercoaster is coming + the rollercoaster is turned on = did not dodge it, dead in the dream

Heather irl knows the rollercoaster is coming + the rollercoaster is turned on = did not dodge it, dead irl

Heather irl knows the rollercoaster is coming + turned it off + DOES NOT KNOW the rollercoaster turned back on = dodged it, survived????

Like I can understand that the rollercoaster being off during the cutscene gave her an extra second to find a spot to jump down to but she couldn't have known it turned back on and so the whole problem looped back around on itself and somehow she still changed the outcome what the fuuuuck

The idea is that the player aren't bumbling and easily distracted like Kyle and Keith, you are supposed to have prior knowledge that rollercoaster kills you, so when you get a key called the -->>rollercoaster key<<-- you are supposed to figure you can use that to do something to the rollercoaster.

The idea is you turn of the power and you figure you're safe, but then it turns on and you're supposed to have a "oh poo poo, what do I do?" moment, though it is a cutscene. It is built on an assumption that you aren't dumb, that's why there's no hand holding text that pops up telling you not to go.

Kyle, Keith... the game didn't fail you, you failed the game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Who gives a poo poo about Kyle and Keith's playstyle I was talking about Heather! She physically turned the rollercoaster off so when we see that it turns back on she's put in the same situation as before, except this time she doesn't die for an inexplicable reason! If anything she should be more caught off guard because she thinks it's off!

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

CJacobs posted:

Who gives a poo poo about Kyle and Keith's playstyle I was talking about Heather! She physically turned the rollercoaster off so when we see that it turns back on she's put in the same situation as before, except this time she doesn't die for an inexplicable reason! If anything she should be more caught off guard because she thinks it's off!

pretty sure i mentioned this exact thing in the video, so I totally agree. If I was on a roller coaster, I would be super on guard. Unless I was SURE it was off (whivh Heather would have been) but either way she could have totally escaped because she was in the same spot when the cart came when she died as when she didn't die.

Jakuvious
Mar 15, 2011

Stealth mode
Effectively, the game poses a problem, then provides a reasonable solution to that problem, then stops and remembers, hey, this poo poo is Silent Hill, we can't go with something that logical.

On other notes, those rabbit head costumes or whatever. Creepiest thing in the series for me. Forget pyramid head, gently caress those bunny heads.

And I still will never get the dialogue direction in these games. It's just...weird. Don't know if it's the writing, the voice acting, or both

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
The scene just plays out different if you use the rollercoaster key first, and does poorly if you directly compare the outcomes of both situations. There's plenty of games with this kind of bullshit, and its silly to try to apply real life logic and reason to this kind of thing. You can apply ~video game~ logic, and I think the game gives the players the tools to think that if they don't use that key somehow, then going on the rollercoaster will mean death.

So you can say things are horseshit, the game is dumb, the universe is inconsistent, the developers are meanyheads, but you can't say the game didn't give you two heavy clues about what's up with the rollercoaster before stumbling onto the tracks. What would truly be horseshit is if they let you fall off the tracks at this point in the game.

Edit: If anything the scene is meant to make you annoyed, because the developers are assuming the first thing you do is try to turn off the rollercoaster, only to find out it automatically turns on, leading you to wonder what kind of crap you have to do to turn it off and keep it off, but ultimately you end up fine. You only got annoyed because you saw how the narrative unravels.

ProfessorBooty fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Apr 26, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If the track didn't turn itself back on just to be like "horror game, bitch!" there would be no issue.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.
I dunno, if I had a prophetic dream about getting run over by a roller coaster while walking along its rails and I found myself walking on those very same rails in a real life hell dimension, I'd probably be on edge no matter how many switches I flipped.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

When are you guys going to LP Doug's Big Game for the Gameboy Color?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

This game sure ups the bullshit when it comes to trains.

Let's Play Silent Hill 3 - Who would put a train on these train tracks?

Kate Hate
Aug 26, 2006

relaxing after a hard day's rape
Normally when you guys miss something in the game it doesn't bother me too much because Silent Hill can be pretty much the opposite of intuitive at times, but drat. Missing the save point and then getting hit by the roller coaster? This was definitely the first time I have yelled at my computer while watching one of your LPs.

Horror games seem to have a lot of weird logic, though. Hell, I watched a bunch of LPs of the Siren series and I have no idea how anyone could play those games blind.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mister Chief posted:

When are you guys going to LP Doug's Big Game for the Gameboy Color?

They should make a live action doug movie and cast macklemore as roger

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
What's interesting is you weren't even talking about anything when you got up to the coaster platform, you just immediately turned left ignoring the door in your face, apparently trusting the game (SILENT HILL) to take care of you.

I would enjoy a Silent Souls game.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

Real hurthling! posted:

They should make a live action doug movie and cast macklemore as roger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XoKD8Gh-tE

Also, Shout Your Lungs Out is basically just My Sharona redone for 90s kids.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
As a master of Adventure Game Logic, I feel I can explain the Roller Coaster Puzzle.

See, the Roller Coaster will always come at the same spot, which both player and Heather have prior knowledge of. However, by using the Key to Turn Off the Coaster, the buzzing mechanism on the tracks is silent when you go down the track. When it reactivates, Heather hears that sound FIRST--the activation also sends the roller coaster going, but there's a delay in events now. Heather has exactly the amount of time she needs to seek out a safe escape route and jump before the coaster comes around.

Before, the mechanism is making noise, and there's no initial warning. Heather sees the lights of the coaster and has a split second to react, which ultimately leads to her death.

So without at least initially deactivating the Coaster, it would have been impossible to get through that area--because even though teh area she dies is the same as the area she escapes, she (and the player too) cannot immediately see that in the brief period they are in that area, either in the dream or reality.

And that's the Roller Coaster Puzzle!

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I'm still waiting for the Mascots to stand up and murder you. And how is Vincent not the devil incarnate. I wouldn't go near him without something sharp or able to shoot in my hand.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Nomadic Scholar posted:

I'm still waiting for the Mascots to stand up and murder you. And how is Vincent not the devil incarnate. I wouldn't go near him without something sharp or able to shoot in my hand.

He looks like the devil to you?

Dianasaur Go!
Jun 10, 2004

too soon from the cave
too far from the stars
This was one of the few updates where I was actually yelling at the screen at stuff you guys were totally missing left and right, but then it got to the part with the bizarre roller coaster ON/OFF logic. I really can't get behind that, no matter how much affection I have for this game. It's pretty obvious that your chatty LP style gets in the way of being able to play the SH series effectively because it makes it too easy for you to miss obvious items and save points and stuff. That said, it's still massively entertaining, and I hope you at least go on to play SH4.

Getting ready to hunker down and watch some Eternal Darkness from you guys. Good going on the Patreon!

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

BottledBodhisvata posted:

As a master of Adventure Game Logic, I feel I can explain the Roller Coaster Puzzle.

See, the Roller Coaster will always come at the same spot, which both player and Heather have prior knowledge of. However, by using the Key to Turn Off the Coaster, the buzzing mechanism on the tracks is silent when you go down the track. When it reactivates, Heather hears that sound FIRST--the activation also sends the roller coaster going, but there's a delay in events now. Heather has exactly the amount of time she needs to seek out a safe escape route and jump before the coaster comes around.

Before, the mechanism is making noise, and there's no initial warning. Heather sees the lights of the coaster and has a split second to react, which ultimately leads to her death.

So without at least initially deactivating the Coaster, it would have been impossible to get through that area--because even though teh area she dies is the same as the area she escapes, she (and the player too) cannot immediately see that in the brief period they are in that area, either in the dream or reality.

And that's the Roller Coaster Puzzle!

I don't know that I'd believe that she hears the reactivation sound. The player certainly can see it in the cutscene, but given how far away from the booth she is, it's a pretty big stretch to say it would alert her to the rollercoaster being on when she specifically had a dream about it (and should, if anything, already be expecting it to come anyway) and went to the trouble of turning the mechanism off in the first place.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.
I wish the roller coaster had killed Kyle the second time because he spent too much time dicking around trying to fall of the edge. "Forget to flip the switch? SMASH! Take too long on the tracks? SMASH!"

Yeah, that's an unfortunate bit of animation on Vincent's arm right when he says that line.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

morallyobjected posted:

I don't know that I'd believe that she hears the reactivation sound. The player certainly can see it in the cutscene, but given how far away from the booth she is, it's a pretty big stretch to say it would alert her to the rollercoaster being on when she specifically had a dream about it (and should, if anything, already be expecting it to come anyway) and went to the trouble of turning the mechanism off in the first place.

Perhaps, alternatively, by taking the time to do the roller coaster thing, you are indicating that you the Player--and thus Heather as well--DO remember the dream and prevent it from coming true, whereas blinding marching ahead implies that you have, over the course of the game, forgotten.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude
I just think it's totally busted logic.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Somethingdumb posted:

I just think it's totally busted logic.

So like he said. Adventure Game Logic. :v:

gently caress you Sierra.

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

ProfessorBooty posted:

So you can say things are horseshit, the game is dumb, the universe is inconsistent, the developers are meanyheads, but you can't say the game didn't give you two heavy clues about what's up with the rollercoaster before stumbling onto the tracks. What would truly be horseshit is if they let you fall off the tracks at this point in the game.

Yeah K + K are not very quick on the uptake but personally I like it better that way, it makes it more fun to watch! If they were good at games there would probably be less interesting stuff to banter about and that would be a shame.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

19LettersLong posted:

Part 18: Full Circle
Who would put a train on these train tracks?
Now I'm never going to be able to watch an episode of Doug again without hearing 'Vice Principal Boner'

also Disney's Doug is terrible

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010

DukeofCA posted:

Yeah, that's an unfortunate bit of animation on Vincent's arm right when he says that line.

That can't be anything but intentional.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

you were warned posted:

Also, Shout Your Lungs Out is basically just My Sharona redone for 90s kids.

I like the knack as much as anybody but I think I maybe like Shout You Lungs Out more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVmzSZxlB8c

Man its so good.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I cannot wait until they hit the Haunted House. :allears:

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

mks5000 posted:

I cannot wait until they hit the Haunted House. :allears:

Oh jesus christ that place was something

19LettersLong