Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drifterofhell
Nov 5, 2009
You guys are obviously masters of Shakespeare, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Also was Heather trying to input the Konami code through dance here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
I could've swore the Shakespere puzzle was more complicated than that on normal. I apparently bought into the hype, and I already played the loving game.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Gaseous Snake posted:

Just want you to know you did an awesome job!!
Thanks. :3: I still really like the game, especially if someone else is playing it. And who better than Keith and Kyle?

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Niggurath posted:

I didn't go insane? But I did cause the guy to go insane cause I'm really bad at LP's...

Nobody's talking about your boring rear end.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Pidmon posted:

Nobody's talking about your boring rear end.

He's right though in that Michel paremeter's utter hatred for Niggurath's SH2 LP is part of why he went nuts.

God, imagine if he was still around when Kyle & Keith started doing SH LPs.

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
The Shakespeare puzzle on Hard is as follows:

Shakespeare puzzle on Hard posted:

In here is a tragedy---
art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.

The first words at thy left hand:
a false lunacy, a madly dancing man.
Hearing unhearable words, drawn
to a beloved's grave---and there,
mayhap, true madness at last.

As did this one, playing at death,
find true death at the last.
Killing a nameless lover, she
pierced a heart rent by sorrow.

Doth lie invite truth?
Doth verity but wear the
mask of falsehood?
Ah, thou pitiful, thou
miserable ones!

Still amidst lies, though the end cometh not,
wherefore yearn for death?
Wilt thou attend to thy beloved?
Truth and lies, life and death:
a game of turning white to black
and black to white.

Is not a silence brimming with
love more precious than flattery?
A peaceful slumber preferred to
a throne besmirched with blood?

One vengeful man
spilled blood for two;
Two youths shed tears for three;
Three witches disappeared thusly;
And only the four keys remain.

The clue stanzas, in order, represent Hamlet, Romeo & Juliet, Othello, King Lear (the cute references to the game Othello are red herrings), and Macbeth. Each Shakespeare volume that you receive in the game has a number on the spine: putting them in the order specified leaves you with the combination 41523. The last stanza of the actual puzzle (there's one additional ornamental bit I didn't quote) hints at some rejiggering you have to do with the numbers: double Hamlet's number ("spilled blood for two"); triple Romeo & Juliet's; and strike the Macbeth number from the combination entirely. This leaves you with 8352.

Unpopular opinion time: I didn't find this the hardest Hard-mode puzzle in the game; the next two combination-based ones are a good deal harder. This puzzle does, however, establish a trend for SH3 Hard-mode puzzles: they take too much of their difficulty from vagueness in their clues, and you're left to sift through (and endure the drudgework of punching in) the various permutations created by the multiple possibilities for each clue. I mean, again, this puzzle isn't that bad (I did get it on the first try, but I was forewarned to ignore the "black to white" cutesiness), and the first two clue stanzas are pretty clear, but the last three could arguably be applied to multiple plays; I mean, the third stanza is literally "this Shakespeare play includes lying," which I believe cuts down the number of possibilities by precisely zero. This propensity makes later puzzles utterly wretched and not fun or satisfying to figure out (unlike, say, SH1's piano or zodiac puzzles or that bit from SH2 Brookhaven Hard mode where you had to trace a letter on the keypad). I'm sorry, Hirayuki - I honestly don't know how much of this is your doing and how much is the source material itself - but I think folks are confusing pretty and elaborate puzzle-writing for good puzzle-writing, and I can't say that SH3 Hard mode contains many examples of the latter.

Blenheim fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Nov 5, 2013

Kamoc
Oct 8, 2003

You cannot eat a purse.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Genius.

Also, I would totally play a horror game with an augmented-reality interface, as long as the interface pulled an Eternal Darkness now and again.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

If only there was some sort of lodging specifically for dogs in which your pet could be placed while recording the LP.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Mister Chief posted:

If only there was some sort of lodging specifically for dogs in which your pet could be placed while recording the LP.

Like an Inn for Canines?

drifterofhell
Nov 5, 2009
A Hostel for Hounds perhaps?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Motel for Mutts?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

This is beautiful.

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.
Jeez you guys really did not do the American public school system any favors with that explanation of how word sounds work toward the end of the video.. Let me help you out. 90% of the time, in a 2 syllable word where the first syllable ends in a vowel, if it is followed by a double consanant then it is a short vowel sound (rapper), and if it's a single consanant it's a long vowel sound (raper). So yes donut is pronounced correctly, and so is that name with 2 b's you mentioned.

:eng101:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Blenheim posted:

The clue stanzas, in order, represent Hamlet, Romeo & Juliet, Othello, King Lear (the cute references to the game Othello are red herrings), and Macbeth.
The dev notes actually make it clear that the game-Othello part specifically refers to the play Othello and isn't a red herring--though it might be two stanzas long (from "Doth lie invite truth?" to "and black to white"). That third "lying" stanza is not marked as being a hint for any one play, so it could either refer to Othello or be pure filler. The King Lear part is just "Is not a silence brimming with love more precious than flattery?"

Blenheim posted:

I'm sorry, Hirayuki - I honestly don't know how much of this is your doing and how much is the source material itself - but I think folks are confusing pretty and elaborate puzzle-writing for good puzzle-writing, and I can't say that SH3 Hard mode contains many examples of the latter.
No worries--I just translate the puzzles (and add Shakespearean flourishes), I don't write 'em. :) It took me a while as a translator to not feel bad when reviewers and players complained about a game's writing or story or what have you, but that part of the game was already lovely (or fantastic--I can't take credit for the good ones, either) before it got to my desk.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Oh sweet! Glad I found this LP early on, I played through this a few times when it first came out but I've forgotten so much about the later half of the game. Looking forward to following this.

Not really related to the game itself, but I had a friend who worked for Konami when SH3 was released here in the UK and he gave me this cheapy promotional radio as a throwaway gift. Years later I found it and slung it up on ebay not really expecting to sell it and some bugger bought it for like £140! I had a few more odds and ends with silent hill logos on so I hit up a collectors group to ask them if they were interested and I was e mobbed by some really intense people who were literally begging me to sell them my tat. I made a joke about a somewhat moth eaten SH3 t shirt I use as a night shirt and they were falling over themselves to buy it off me. Like, serious offers of hard cash to buy a manky, faded t shirt some stranger sleeps in. Silent hill fans are weird.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

This is going to be a great thread :allears:

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

psymonkey posted:

Jeez you guys really did not do the American public school system any favors with that explanation of how word sounds work toward the end of the video.. Let me help you out. 90% of the time, in a 2 syllable word where the first syllable ends in a vowel, if it is followed by a double consanant then it is a short vowel sound (rapper), and if it's a single consanant it's a long vowel sound (raper). So yes donut is pronounced correctly, and so is that name with 2 b's you mentioned.

:eng101:
No. It would be a /^/ o sound, as in 'coming' or 'cover' or 'honey' (all words where the O is followed by a consonant and a vowel). Actually, the /^/ O sound is typically used in stressed syllables. The same can be said for the other back of the throat vowel sounds. PRESent has a short E while preSENT has a long one.

If you want a word a little closer to donut to compare with, try donex (pronounced dun-ix, a type of grass) or Donet (dun-et, from Conatus, famous grammarian)

Somethingdumb fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 5, 2013

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Except is not worth worrying about because English is a mess and any pronunciation rule will have a billion exceptions just because.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude
*pay this accidental post no mind*

Somethingdumb fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 5, 2013

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

Somethingdumb posted:

No. It would be a /^/ o sound, as in 'coming' or 'cover' or 'honey' (all words where the O is followed by a consonant and a vowel). Actually, the /^/ O sound is typically used in stressed syllables. The same can be said for the other back of the throat vowel sounds. PRESent has a short E while preSENT has a long one.

If you want a word a little closer to donut to compare with, try donex (pronounced dun-ix, a type of grass) or Donet (dun-et, from Conatus, famous grammarian)

"Bonus." Check and mate. :colbert:

Edit: I also spell it "doughnut," but it's because they're made from dough.

Laocius fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 5, 2013

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg
I've literally never even seen it spelt as doughnut. I even googled it and most of the results just change the spelling to donut. Every donut shop I've ever been to in my life has spelled it that way.

have i been missing out???

midwat
May 6, 2007

the Gaffe posted:

I've literally never even seen it spelt as doughnut. I even googled it and most of the results just change the spelling to donut. Every donut shop I've ever been to in my life has spelled it that way.

have i been missing out???

That depends. Do you like being pedantic?

Red Rover
Feb 13, 2012

The Cuddliest
Lord of the Dead
For the sake of muddying up the waters even more, the only time I've ever seen it spelt "donut" is once when a supermarket was trying to be cute. It's always been "doughnut" on everything else.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It's been seen both ways because both are acceptable spellings according to every dictionary I've ever seen.

Kinda like gray/grey. I imagine one is more common than the other depending on where you live, though.

Also, there totally used to be Dunkin' Donuts here, but then their store got taken over by an obvious knock-off of Dimple Donuts. This happened like 20 years ago and I'm still pissed.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude
'Doughnut' has the definition, 'donut' just says 'See:doughnut'

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I donut mind it one way or the other.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I don't want to hear about your minor doughnut/donut difficulties. Here we only have Krispy Kreme.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
I like to call them Dog Nuts.

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
Expanded universe baked goods discussion: I once frequented a Great Harvest bakery that offered free samples of bread, but this was in Montana (and was supposedly the business's flagship store), so I didn't think it was the same chain. It seemed an odd coincidence, though, so I looked it up, and I was surprised to discover that it is the same place, and Great Harvest is a somewhat-national franchise now, apparently. It's surprising to learn that they once had a presence in Massachusetts, at any rate. They're out of the town of Dillon; that is such a tiny place, even by Montana standards.

On another note, I wish I liked Claudia's voice more. I had the game a long time before I got the opportunity to play it, and I beforehand snuck a listen of the first couple tracks on the soundtrack CD. One of them has Claudia's "they've come to witness the beginning" speech spoken over the title-screen music, but it's done by Mary Elizabeth McGlynn, the singer who does most of the franchise's songs, instead of Claudia's actual voice actress. I didn't identify McGlynn immediately, though, and I thought that this was Claudia's actual VA. I was disappointed when this turned out not to be the case; McGlynn had dimensions to her voice in her short performance the actual VA lacked, a quiet, serene assurance and something almost resembling a twisted warmth.

(In the mall toilets, BTW, there's an extra cutscene you can see if you play the game on a PS2 with a Silent Hill 2 save file on it. Heather comes across a stopped-up toilet, and the narration informs her that there's an item inside. She goes to retrieve it, but stops, too grossed out; she then turns to the camera and asks, "Who would even think of doing something so disgusting?")

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

quote:

"Who would even think of doing something so disgusting?"

Supersonic Buddha
Sep 6, 2010

Inertia is a property of matter.

Blenheim posted:

she then turns to the camera and asks, "Who would even think of doing something so disgusting?"

And then she winks and nudges the camera for 5 minutes.

I was a little disappointed you guys missed that scene actually, you were right there!

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Supersonic Buddha posted:

And then she winks and nudges the camera for 5 minutes.

I was a little disappointed you guys missed that scene actually, you were right there!

Don't they need to have a save file from SH2 on the memory card to get that?

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

FillInTheBlank posted:

Don't they need to have a save file from SH2 on the memory card to get that?

They might still have the one from Silent Hill 2 I just remembered they played SH2 on the PS3 before switching. Whoops

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
On NPR they were saying words didn't used to have recognized official spellings back before dictionaries, so do whatever you want and don't stress about it.

Doh pnut

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

MentholsNBeer posted:

On NPR, comma, they were saying

Lightbulb Grease
Aug 9, 2006

Oh, hi girls. Tom Cruise here.
Soiled Meat
The rules of the English language are like table manners. Some of them seem well intended (chewing with your mouth open is pretty disgusting and speaking in the passive voice usually makes writing indecisive and unclear). But it doesn’t take long for arbitrary laws to emerge that only exist to sniff out poorer people’s low education. Sipping soup from the end of the spoon rather than the side is like ending a sentence with a preposition, spelling doughnut incorrectly or falling to distinguish between “less” and “fewer" when ‘less’ seems to parse well and is more efficient to print. None of these things should made a difference, but it’s almost because the rules are unintuitive that they’re enforced so fervently.

I stole most of my rhetoric from this Stephen Fry podcast and he’s way more eloquent than me, so listen to that instead of reading that earlier paragraph.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

Blenheim posted:

(In the mall toilets, BTW, there's an extra cutscene you can see if you play the game on a PS2 with a Silent Hill 2 save file on it. Heather comes across a stopped-up toilet, and the narration informs her that there's an item inside. She goes to retrieve it, but stops, too grossed out; she then turns to the camera and asks, "Who would even think of doing something so disgusting?")
When I played SH2 for the first time, James came across as a total dimwit. I just started going "Derp, derp, derp, derp" as I walked around the apartment building. I have a terrible sense of direction, so this went on for awhile. My ex lost it at "Derp, derp, derp, derp the juice down the chute, derp, derp..."

Snoop Radley
Sep 26, 2011

Hail to the baby king. :3:
This morning I randomly decided to check your YT channel since I hadn't really been keeping up with you guys. Imagine my delight when I saw you had started Silent Hill 3. For a while there I was worried your struggles with the second game had turned you off from the series.

I think even in the old thread people were primarily complaining about the voice actress they gave Heather in the HD version, not the original voice she has here. What really struck me about her originally is that she actually comes across like a 17-year-old kid and not a super-sexualized mini-adult that I think games (and a lot of other media) often portray teenage girls as. I know excessive complaining about the HD voices makes you sound like a nitpicky puritan fan, but I think especially in Heather's case the new voice destroys part of the characterization that makes her stand out amidst other young female video game characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

...let's just put this away.

Episode 03: Third Strike
Fuckin' ampoules; how do they work?

e: I should also say that despite not mentioning it here in the thread, I am completely in love with this gif:

19LettersLong fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 14, 2013

• Locked thread