Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightbulb Grease
Aug 9, 2006

Oh, hi girls. Tom Cruise here.
Soiled Meat
The rules of the English language are like table manners. Some of them seem well intended (chewing with your mouth open is pretty disgusting and speaking in the passive voice usually makes writing indecisive and unclear). But it doesn’t take long for arbitrary laws to emerge that only exist to sniff out poorer people’s low education. Sipping soup from the end of the spoon rather than the side is like ending a sentence with a preposition, spelling doughnut incorrectly or falling to distinguish between “less” and “fewer" when ‘less’ seems to parse well and is more efficient to print. None of these things should made a difference, but it’s almost because the rules are unintuitive that they’re enforced so fervently.

I stole most of my rhetoric from this Stephen Fry podcast and he’s way more eloquent than me, so listen to that instead of reading that earlier paragraph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Grease
Aug 9, 2006

Oh, hi girls. Tom Cruise here.
Soiled Meat

ChairMaster posted:

Japan has legit high suicide areas, it's not that weird of a thing to come up. They've got kinda a different relationship with suicide than we do.

When I was in Southampton, I lived near a high suicide bridge. It even has an intercom straight to the Samaritans because it's such a problem. Most people just threatened/considered jumping, but a lot went through with it. Whenever news or conversation about a suicide off that bridge came up, I would always wonder if they were talking about one I'd already known about or if there had been another one since then.

• Locked thread