Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
I'm happy to see you guys play this. I hope you still have the SH2 saves on your PS2 card.

Also, hot tip! Heather will turn her head to look at things that are important to further the plot (like puzzles) or items, so it greatly reduces 'pixel hunt' mashing. She doesn't turn her head toward flavor-text, so don't mash if you're just 'checking something out'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
Dryer fire story:

When I was working on a submarine, our dryer was an extremely old model (this is because approval for equipment on submarines is extremely costly so you wouldn't bother with silly things like 'being safe'). If the lint filter wasn't cleaned after every use, and if the whole thing wasn't dismantled to be cleaned every week then it would be guaranteed to set on fire. The hazard was large enough that we required people to sit next to the dryer while they were using it. The people using the drying equipment to clean officer clothing and linens were also the ones most likely to not clean the lint filter, and there was a time that the thing caught on fire every night for three or four days, enough that we weren't even announcing it anymore as it would go out the moment you cut power to the thing.

If you happen to have an old, old dryer, say from the 70's or earlier, then you are less likely to have a protective shroud over the heating element which means by not cleaning the lint filter you reduce overall air flow and cause lint to collect on the heating element. Newer dryers obviously don't have that problem, but you should probably clean the lint filter anyway because its pretty easy to do and a clogged lint filter has a tendency to dry clothes slower.

If I had a really old dryer I probably wouldn't leave the home while its running.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
I don't defend all the bad decisions in SH4, but I'm still a big fan of it. The atmosphere building was pretty phenomenal. I'm not a huge fan of Silent Hill 3, but there's a few parts that are pretty good in general. I don't remember taking so long to get to the point K&K are at, so I wasn't left with a bad taste in my mouth like they are, and I think its a worthy Silent Hill game for sure.

Honestly, if I were to choose between more of the Silent Hill series and some other survival horror game, I'd want to see them play Eternal Darkness :v: . Too bad its a GameCube exclusive.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Coffee And Pie posted:

You better not be talking bad about the 'Cube. I will fight you.

I love the Cube. I still have it in my living room. I'm just saying that because I don't think Kyle has one, which would set him back an extra fifteen bucks if he were to want to grab ED. I mostly use my gamecube for the GBA player nowadays.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
The scene just plays out different if you use the rollercoaster key first, and does poorly if you directly compare the outcomes of both situations. There's plenty of games with this kind of bullshit, and its silly to try to apply real life logic and reason to this kind of thing. You can apply ~video game~ logic, and I think the game gives the players the tools to think that if they don't use that key somehow, then going on the rollercoaster will mean death.

So you can say things are horseshit, the game is dumb, the universe is inconsistent, the developers are meanyheads, but you can't say the game didn't give you two heavy clues about what's up with the rollercoaster before stumbling onto the tracks. What would truly be horseshit is if they let you fall off the tracks at this point in the game.

Edit: If anything the scene is meant to make you annoyed, because the developers are assuming the first thing you do is try to turn off the rollercoaster, only to find out it automatically turns on, leading you to wonder what kind of crap you have to do to turn it off and keep it off, but ultimately you end up fine. You only got annoyed because you saw how the narrative unravels.

ProfessorBooty fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Apr 26, 2014

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
I liked Silent Hill 4 more than 3. Really, of the first four, three was my least favorite (I still liked it though). SH4 was the most unsettling for sure, but I don't think K&K will like it specifically because they have a habit of defeating atmosphere.

ProfessorBooty fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jun 5, 2014

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

you were warned posted:

...So does that bring Silent Hill 3 to "this is the best game ever made," like you said moments before?!

It shows how much attention to detail the designers of the game had. They knew that there would be people, somewhere, who would ask, "Where is WOLF?!?!?". These games give you as much information as you're willing to find, silent hill 2 in particular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
SH3 in my opinion is the weakest of the first four (I still like it), but the extra endings are drat good, on par with SH2. I didn't have problems exactly with the tone, but I do agree the whole story is weaker for focusing on the Silent Hill cult (its a story that doesn't need to be told). As a game I think it worked out fine, the only puzzle my friends and I had trouble with was using the pendant on the final boss.

You guys shouldn't worry so much about dead air in a game. We aren't all drooling morons who get confused and frustrated when we don't hear your voices. Subtitled Let's Plays exist, and hell, Long Plays - devoid of commentary - are a thing too.

ProfessorBooty fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 12, 2014

• Locked thread