Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

I don't like that dude... I don't like THAT DUDE!
I... I had an interesting day trying to get some different helicopter work done for a client.

164386 by Powercube, on Flickr

04-4130 by Powercube, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

What is this?

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

Plinkey posted:

What is this?

Aero L-39, a Czech primary jet trainer.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Plinkey posted:

What is this?

Powercube posted:

Aero L-39, a Czech primary jet trainer.
Yep, exactly! I've been seeing them pop up around here more and more lately.

That one sold a couple years back for ~$195k, not too costly to own your own jet though I've heard they're quite expensive to fly. They chug down that fuel.

edit:

That's an awesome angle, great photo!

PREYING MANTITS fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Nov 22, 2013

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So which one of you goons was standing across the street from the north end of the main runway at KPAE around 3:00pm a few days ago?

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

Solkanar512 posted:

So which one of you goons was standing across the street from the north end of the main runway at KPAE around 3:00pm a few days ago?

Ordinarily, it'd be me. But A. I drive, and B. Was out of town. When was this? I can probably figure it out.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Powercube posted:

Ordinarily, it'd be me. But A. I drive, and B. Was out of town. When was this? I can probably figure it out.

It was either Monday or Tuesday. If you see some dude in a bright blue BRZ waving it's me. :)

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

Solkanar512 posted:

It was either Monday or Tuesday. If you see some dude in a bright blue BRZ waving it's me. :)

Dude, I see a bright blue BRZ around there all the time... The Model S with the Pokemon-themed license plate is me.

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

Renton is rapidly becoming one of my favourite places to photosnipe.

N940NN by Powercube, on Flickr

B-5856 by Powercube, on Flickr

N1786B by Powercube, on Flickr

Should I do a heli-photo effort post one day?

Powercube fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 24, 2013

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
God drat I want a metallic teal jet.

Heli posts are the only posts that matter.

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

God drat I want a metallic teal jet.

Heli posts are the only posts that matter.

That's the cellophane-like, washable, protective coating that all Boeing (metal) aircraft first fly whilst covered in. Cleans off with hot water before painting.

Helo post will come later today or tomorrow.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

I spent all summer working out of tiny airport on the central west coast of Canada. One day these guys rolled through, heading up to Alaska, camping and fishing along the way:

IMG_4204.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

IMG_4206.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

IMG_4200.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

Off they go:

IMG_4229.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

Watching them take off was hilarious: they were up in the air literally a couple hundred feet from the turnout.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Aside from the little Pipers and Super Cubs above, I seen a lot of the kinds of things we typically see up on the coast: many float planes of various types, Air North's old-rear end Hawker Siddley 748, and LOTS and LOTS of helicopters (my day job).

...and just as I type this I'm realizing that I misplaced my photos of most of the above. What the gently caress??

While I get that sorted out, here's a couple photos featuring one of the machine I had to babysit all summer:

IMG_4155.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

Here's a sneak preview of a thread I'm working on, about ghost towns:

IMG_4509.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Found another:

IMG_4029.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

Local legend has it that this was some drug dealer's aircraft. No one knows who he was or where he came from...N-reg means he was either running south from Alaska or north from the rest of the US. Which ever direction, he only made it about half way.

I hope you guys don't mind me spamming this thread.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Please do :munch: I cant' wait to hear these stories

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

Mostly sharing this one as it got FlickR explored, no idea what I did to deserve that.

N360BJ by Powercube, on Flickr

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
What do you folks do for static displays?

I find it very difficult to take a picture of an aircraft that's just sitting there and make it in any way interesting. I find that lighting helps a lot, so the best museums are the ones like Dayton, which has some great spot lighting in a number of its displays.

Ode to Kelly Johnson by Phanatic, on Flickr

There was some wonderful stuff going on when I went to the Intrepid museum when it re-opened.

But I was just at IWM Duxford and for most of it it was just very flat lighting coupled with aircraft crammed so close up against each other that it's hard to even clearly frame a subject without cluttering the shot up with other airplanes (Kind of like the R&D hangar at Dayton, where they have the XB-70. Gorgeous aircraft but good luck getting a shot that shows it). Especially for big stuff like their Vulcan, no way to take a picture of it that both shows how goddamned big and beautiful the thing is that doesn't wind up being photobombed by, say, a Lancaster. Going through my stuff I got maybe one good indoor shot.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I heard Airforce Once is parked at KPAE, taking off this morning. Hint hint Powercube! I don't see the flight on flightaware.com; does that stuff not get tracked? Last time AF1 was at KPAE they shut that place down.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Gullous posted:

I heard Airforce Once is parked at KPAE, taking off this morning. Hint hint Powercube! I don't see the flight on flightaware.com; does that stuff not get tracked? Last time AF1 was at KPAE they shut that place down.

It would be a military flight, and those aren't tracked by the FAA. I'm currently in the factory atm and just took a spin in on the flightline webcam. I didn't see Air Force one, but there's a huge blind spot in the direction of the Future of Flight. That's where they parked the support C-17 last time he was here.

I just wonder though, why not just take the president back to KSEA?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Phanatic posted:

What do you folks do for static displays?

For the most part it's all I can do to keep the clutter out. But just yesterday I was taking some pictures at the March Field museum, and I tried taking a couple photos from as low an angle as possible, sort of like I sometimes do for cars. I kind of like how some of it looks to be turning out, but I don't have anything up on the internet yet.

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

Gullous posted:

I'm asking someone who could see it. I'm calling bullshit on this rumor, there are so many 747s at PAE that someone probably just got confused.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Powercube posted:

I'm asking someone who could see it. I'm calling bullshit on this rumor, there are so many 747s at PAE that someone probably just got confused.

Obama is supposed to be in Los Angeles today. So there's that.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

AF2, or just some servicing for a VC-25?

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Ok more photos from my summer.

This guy came clattering in for fuel, one rainy day. An old Hiller UH-12, driven by an equally old pilot. He was slowly moving up the coast from a crop spray job in Washington, heading home to Alaska. At something like 60kts. We all thought this was great fun, because we zoom around at 140 to 160.

Unfortunately for him (and fortunate for us, because he was cool to talk to), weather forced him to stay on the ground for a day. Meeting people like this fella, and the group I posted above in the Pipers and Super Cubs, is always cool.

IMG_4081.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

IMG_4077.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

One thing I do see a lot of, is Coast Guard, Fisheries and Oceans, and Search and Rescue:

IMG_5000.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

These guys did a neat trick when they came in. They backed themselves into their parking spot by reversing the props. Which sounds like a great way to tilt over and smack your tail into the ground, but they pulled it off with no mishaps.

IMG_4591.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

It's always a treat when these guys pass by:

IMG_7265.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Because I just can't help myself.

IMG_4162.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

And here's something a bit different. A monument set up on the site of an old RCAF base. During WWII, a fleet of Cansos (Canadianized PBY-5s) were stationed on Denny Island to keep an eye on the Japanese fleet.

IMG_4745.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

The old base is now used as a fishing resort and marine repair.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Powercube posted:

I think I hosed up and heard "Paine Field" when they said "Boeing Field". That is what I get before drinking my coffee.

From reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Seattle/comments/1re25q/air_force_one_landing_at_seatac_with_mount/

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

Gullous posted:

I think I hosed up and heard "Paine Field" when they said "Boeing Field". That is what I get before drinking my coffee.

From reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Seattle/comments/1re25q/air_force_one_landing_at_seatac_with_mount/

Still SEA-TAC, the shittest airport to spot of all four Seattle Airports. I couldn't be hosed to drive against the flow to see a plane I got closer to in Australia two years ago.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I've always wanted to own an An-2, it would make a hell of a bushplane.

quote:

A note from the pilot's handbook reads: "If the engine quits in instrument conditions or at night, the pilot should pull the control column full aft and keep the wings level. The leading-edge slats will snap out at about 64 km/h (40 mph), and when the airplane slows to a forward speed of about 40 km/h (25 mph), the airplane will sink at about a parachute descent rate until the aircraft hits the ground." [1]

The An-2 indeed has no stall speed quoted in the operating handbook. Pilots of the An-2 say one can fly the aircraft in full control at 30 mph (as a contrast, a modern Cessna four-seater light aircraft has a stall speed of around 50 mph). This slow stall speed makes it possible for the aircraft to fly backwards (if the aircraft is pointed into a headwind of, say, 35 mph (56 km/h), it will travel backwards at 5 mph (8.0 km/h) whilst under full control). (This is also possible with almost any other true Short Take Off and Landing (STOL) aircraft, but the Antonov has the distinction of being able to do the trick in the mildest headwind.)[1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonov_An-2

Unfortunately most Western countries won't certify a Soviet aircraft for commercial use.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Paul MaudDib posted:

Unfortunately most Western countries won't certify a Soviet aircraft for commercial use.

P1010217 by vexborg, on Flickr

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
On the AF1 topic, here are some pics I took when it came to KSZL a couple months back. I would have posted them yesterday, but flickr changed something and all the share options were hidden.

Link to the rest of the set

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Love the color scheme on Air Force One. That polished chrome is awesome.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

IceLicker posted:

Love the color scheme on Air Force One. That polished chrome is awesome.

Aluminum I'm pretty sure.

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

There's a DC-6 at KPAE. It came in at 4:00am so no photos, but I will find it. I promise.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

Man who measures stall speeds in MPH instead of knots? Amateur hour. :colbert:

quote:

(the pre-flight checks alone take between 30 and 40 minutes)

hahahaha god that's great

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

DJExile posted:

hahahaha god that's great

Woah woah woah we're just tryin' to go flyin' we didn't want to get into a whole 30 minute thing here.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

DJExile posted:

Man who measures stall speeds in MPH instead of knots? Amateur hour. :colbert:

Is please to not be usink pigdog Imperial units. :ussr:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I'll join in, from an air show/fly-in last summer.

Rocky Mountain Air Show 2013 by FullerFotos.net, on Flickr

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

I tend to like to catch normal day-to-day movements, and the small general aviation stuff that most people don't really notice.

737-832(WL) N37700 at KCMH by Lunken Spotter, on Flickr

PA-23-250 Aztec N706SP at I69 by Lunken Spotter, on Flickr

AT-802A N629JP at I23 by Lunken Spotter, on Flickr

747-8R7F/SCD LX-VCD at KLCK by Lunken Spotter, on Flickr

An-124-100 Ruslan RA-82079 at KLCK by Lunken Spotter, on Flickr
This, however, was my favorite catch of the year.

And as the name implies, I've spent the bulk of my time at Lunken Airport in Cincinnati:

G-V-SP Gulfstream G550 N4PG at KLUK by Lunken Spotter, on Flickr

Cincinnati gets pretty decent traffic (by my standards, anyway) and there is a guarantee you'll get 747's at least once a week at CVG, and interesting stuff does tend to show up at Lunken quite a bit. Columbus, not so much, and most of the good spots at CMH aren't free. Rickenbacker does get some nice stuff on rare occasion, but CMH is mostly Southwest and regional jets-never any of the really big stuff. OSU is basically impossible to get pictures at unless you have ramp access.

There're always gateguards, though:

F-4C-22-MC Phantom II 64-0683 at VTA by Lunken Spotter, on Flickr

F-101B-90-MC Voodoo 57-0308 at ILN by Lunken Spotter, on Flickr

I recommend using Aerialvisuals.ca if you want to go gateguard hunting.

Plastic_Gargoyle fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Dec 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

Nice to see more spotters are finding their way to this thread. I've been a victim of travel and bad weather so I haven't much to post other than.

A7-BAA by Powercube, on Flickr

• Locked thread