Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Airshows are fun. A local airport's Veterans Day fly-in:

Collings Foundation bombers:

My coworkers got to ride in them, I had to drive the car back. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I always have my camera ready when going through Shreveport/Bossier, hoping to get a closeup of a B-52 on short final.

The one time the person I ride with goes through there without me, she sees a BUFF screaming over the highway at treetop level. :argh:

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Delivery McGee posted:

I always have my camera ready when going through Shreveport/Bossier, hoping to get a closeup of a B-52 on short final.

The one time the person I ride with goes through there without me, she sees a BUFF screaming over the highway at treetop level. :argh:

I just drove past Dyess AFB twice in as many days and all I saw was this stinkin' Herc.

The other unit that lives there flies B-1s. :saddowns:

Also, amusingly, there's a dragstip between Dyess and Abilene. I guess when you're next to a USAF base flying Bones, there's less likelihood of people moving in next door and complaining about the dragstrip noise until it gets shut down (as happened to my local strip).

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

fknlo posted:

Nope, there is at least one case of people complaining and getting a race track next to a very busy Air Force base shut down. I can't remember which one off the top of my head, but it has happened.

Yeah, well they were probably near a base that had quiet (relatively) planes. Or maybe the General's/Congressman's kid runs a car at the Abilene dragstrip. Or maybe the AFB and dragstrip are out in a godforsaken sun-scorched hellhole where nobody would want to live even without the noise issues (it was 104F there today).

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Finally got a shot of a BUFF, but forgot to turn the ISO back down after the football game.

I got the camera out to try to get a photo of one turning onto final way the gently caress out on the horizon, then heard a hellacious scream and caught the one in front of it as it passed over the car.

MrYenko posted:

A steady stream of oil is how a radial tells you it's happy.

Jets leak too. Though presumably that's because they seal up at operating temperature, so when they're parked and everything's cooled down and contracted they drip, as opposed to radials that burn as much oil as a 2-stroke.

• Locked thread