Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
My parents live on an airstrip, and a couple summers ago they had quite a few warbirds out for an airshow in Detroit (I believe). These were with my Takumar 135/3.5, which wasn't really enough reach.

IMG_9238 by PaulMD, on Flickr

IMG_9222 by PaulMD, on Flickr

Untitled by PaulMD, on Flickr

I would imagine one of them is the Yankee Lady, she's based over at Willow Run.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I've always wanted to own an An-2, it would make a hell of a bushplane.

quote:

A note from the pilot's handbook reads: "If the engine quits in instrument conditions or at night, the pilot should pull the control column full aft and keep the wings level. The leading-edge slats will snap out at about 64 km/h (40 mph), and when the airplane slows to a forward speed of about 40 km/h (25 mph), the airplane will sink at about a parachute descent rate until the aircraft hits the ground." [1]

The An-2 indeed has no stall speed quoted in the operating handbook. Pilots of the An-2 say one can fly the aircraft in full control at 30 mph (as a contrast, a modern Cessna four-seater light aircraft has a stall speed of around 50 mph). This slow stall speed makes it possible for the aircraft to fly backwards (if the aircraft is pointed into a headwind of, say, 35 mph (56 km/h), it will travel backwards at 5 mph (8.0 km/h) whilst under full control). (This is also possible with almost any other true Short Take Off and Landing (STOL) aircraft, but the Antonov has the distinction of being able to do the trick in the mildest headwind.)[1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonov_An-2

Unfortunately most Western countries won't certify a Soviet aircraft for commercial use.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

DJExile posted:

Man who measures stall speeds in MPH instead of knots? Amateur hour. :colbert:

Is please to not be usink pigdog Imperial units. :ussr:

• Locked thread