Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

NewMars posted:

King Heort was most definitely not an Illuminate and he Apothesized. There are literally hundreds of other Heroes who have done the same.

Edit: I suppose I should make this clear: Apothesizing while you are alive is extremely rare, being deified as a Hero after your death is not. The Latter is what happened to Arkat, by the way.

I thought that he actually ascended, he didn't "die" at all.

I meant as in "achieving apotheosis whilst still (sort of) alive". I know people get buily into the compromise after they die of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

I thought that he actually ascended, he didn't "die" at all.

I meant as in "achieving apotheosis whilst still (sort of) alive". I know people get buily into the compromise after they die of course.

There's very little difference between ascension and death. In fact, there isn't a difference at all in most ways: you can't come back, you can't live in the world and most often it involves having something happen to you that would kill you anyway (like being immolated or struck by lightning. From quite a few points of view the only real difference is that it's showier.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

NewMars posted:

There's very little difference between ascension and death. In fact, there isn't a difference at all in most ways: you can't come back, you can't live in the world and most often it involves having something happen to you that would kill you anyway (like being immolated or struck by lightning. From quite a few points of view the only real difference is that it's showier.

I'd disagree. For one it really only happens to people who could fight there way out of most hells. Ascension also makes you part of the fabric of reality in a very real way. More so than even a person is real.

That would be something awesome, a school of thought in Ralios that believes every creature eventually has to go through life over and over in different ways in order to become like Arkat and ascend to becoming part of the universe again. You could even see them split between those who do the whole "hidden master" thing and the other half going out and actively attacking villages.

• Locked thread