Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Got kicked out of the draft? And jesus these picks cycle fast, I didn't even have time to read the cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mexican Sandwich
Jan 1, 2013
Not participating, but for future reference, I'm MexicanSandwich

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
In all honesty I think I hate tappedout for this. I'm out for tonight, I can't handle building my deck this way.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Mirthless posted:

In all honesty I think I hate tappedout for this. I'm out for tonight, I can't handle building my deck this way.

Yeah I changed the timer so the second round we had like 500sec total for the whole draft. Much better.

The actual drafting phase is better imo, but the deck building on TappedOut is not as good.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Hey goons, get in #goonvitational, and let's see if we can't get a draft happening on the fly!

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Calling all players, I will be running a draft Monday night at 9pm EST. We should be able to get 2 pods, so whoever wants to be here to claim Champion for the first round, now is the time.

This will mainly be a practice stage, getting used to organizing all the people and matches. Hopefully it will go well and we work out any kinks.

The IRC is #goonvitational on synirc.

Does anyone know a program that I can get to put people into brackets and make a pairing system thing?

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

goodness posted:

Does anyone know a program that I can get to put people into brackets and make a pairing system thing?
Depends on how you want to do the pairings and match-ups. Single-elimination rounds, Swiss or some variant thereupon, or something else entirely?

Also you suck, since I'm working tomorrow evening and will not be able to partake. :(

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Mikujin posted:

Depends on how you want to do the pairings and match-ups. Single-elimination rounds, Swiss or some variant thereupon, or something else entirely?

Also you suck, since I'm working tomorrow evening and will not be able to partake. :(

Hmm, I actually did not think of that. I think Swiss would be more conducive to getting better and learning.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

goodness posted:

Hmm, I actually did not think of that. I think Swiss would be more conducive to getting better and learning.

There's a number of different free Swiss services and softwares out there. Just try any number of them until you find one you like, I suppose.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mikujin posted:

There's a number of different free Swiss services and softwares out there. Just try any number of them until you find one you like, I suppose.
Isn't seating when drafting also related to the first pairings?

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

drafts.in does seating/pairing for the first round automatically, it tells you who your opponent is after deck construction/downloading is complete. You'd still need a program or to do it by hand for round 2-3.

Also 9pm+ est being the only times sucks for euros :(

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

EVIR Gibson posted:

Isn't seating when drafting also related to the first pairings?

Yup. But as mentioned, drafts.in does the initial pairing for you. If it didn't, just match against the player 4 seats away from you.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Nosre posted:

drafts.in does seating/pairing for the first round automatically, it tells you who your opponent is after deck construction/downloading is complete. You'd still need a program or to do it by hand for round 2-3.

Also 9pm+ est being the only times sucks for euros :(

So much earlier in the day will work for you? Ok, I will make one of the weekly Drafts on the weekend afternoon for Euro guys :)

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Alternatively, I am available all day tomorrow! If some euro goons/other shift work goons with time off tomorrow want to draft, I'll help put something together!

I'll re-visit the thread and IRC channels tomorrow!

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Mikujin posted:

Alternatively, I am available all day tomorrow! If some euro goons/other shift work goons with time off tomorrow want to draft, I'll help put something together!

I'll re-visit the thread and IRC channels tomorrow!

Tomorrow works for me as well. Nobody has really posted about playing tonight, so we could move it to tomorrow.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

goodness posted:

So much earlier in the day will work for you? Ok, I will make one of the weekly Drafts on the weekend afternoon for Euro guys :)

If we get enough interest I'd definitely be in for euro times. Personally my schedule is quite free, but not at 3am which is what 9pm est would be :)

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Nosre posted:

If we get enough interest I'd definitely be in for euro times. Personally my schedule is quite free, but not at 3am which is what 9pm est would be :)

Understandeable. I am sure we can get plenty of interest for a Euro afternoon pod.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Probably going to reschedule the Trial Draft to tomorrow afternoon. How does somewhere between 3pm-5pm EST sound?

Ranpire
Nov 6, 2012
I'm still down for tonight. Probably won't be for that time tomorrow, though - that runs right up against VGCW.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo

goodness posted:

Probably going to reschedule the Trial Draft to tomorrow afternoon. How does somewhere between 3pm-5pm EST sound?

That is worse for me and I bet a lot of people that have normal work hours.

Ranpire
Nov 6, 2012
No real reason we can't do both. I expect a lot of people are just lurking the thread. irc.synirc.net, #goonvitational, 1 hour from now, come play!

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

It would be better for me tomorrow night, sorry to be lame. GF stuff came up

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Posting from work to say that I'll be around all day tomorrow, and I'll be popping into both #mtgoon and #goonvitational (as well as threads!) to recruit folks for drafting tomorrow.

I'll start one campaign in the early afternoon to try and offer some fun to any Euro-Goons who want to partake, as well as guys who don't have early day work obligations. Then I'll be around in the evening to do much more of the same for everyone else!

Times should be around 1-2PM EST and around 8PM EST respectively, with definite room for movement depending on interest!

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Mikujin posted:

Posting from work to say that I'll be around all day tomorrow, and I'll be popping into both #mtgoon and #goonvitational (as well as threads!) to recruit folks for drafting tomorrow.

I'll start one campaign in the early afternoon to try and offer some fun to any Euro-Goons who want to partake, as well as guys who don't have early day work obligations. Then I'll be around in the evening to do much more of the same for everyone else!

Times should be around 1-2PM EST and around 8PM EST respectively, with definite room for movement depending on interest!

I'll be around for both if those!

Mexican Sandwich
Jan 1, 2013
8 PM might be better, especially during the week when I got work in the morning.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Mexican Sandwich posted:

8 PM might be better, especially during the week when I got work in the morning.

Yeah most of the drafts will be around 9pm/8pm est/cet . We are just trying to see if we have enough people to run a euro/afternoon pod as well.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo
Thanks for the drafting all, but I'm thinking I will have to drop out for the rest since it looks like there are a bunch of people pissed off there are players that can't complete games quickly.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

EVIR Gibson posted:

Thanks for the drafting all, but I'm thinking I will have to drop out for the rest since it looks like there are a bunch of people pissed off there are players that can't complete games quickly.

Don't let it get you down :D

Once we start the real drafts, I will be looking into realistic time amounts and such. Don't give up now!

Ranpire
Nov 6, 2012
This round went slow due to people never having used cockatrice before, yeah. Don't worry about it, it's all good.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Hey goons, sorry for the later-than-planned arrival! That said, let's get some drafting going!

What do I need?
If you don't already have it, go grab Cockatrice over at the Woogerworks website - they're the guys keeping Cockatrice up and running right now! You can also find an up-to-date file list there if you already have Cockatrice but just need an update!

So this drafting thing, how do we do it?
At least for now, all drafting we do will be done on drafts.in. It provides a simple, easy to use interface, as well as the ability to export decklists right from the draft.

In addition, it does provide hash codes for the deck export. While it's all well and good to use these, it's understandable that you might forget to put a card main deck, or (as happens a lot) forget to add lands before you export your decklist. As such, we ultimately use the Goon Code of HonorTM when doing these drafts.

Ok, cool, how do I get in on it?
Just drop a line in the thread here, or better yet, join us in #goonvitational on synirc. Right now we're putting in a strong effort to co-ordinate these drafts, but if we can build the crowd we'd hope to, then it's not too farfetched to imagine on-the-fly drafts picking up just because we have to people to do it!

Having said all that, it's currently about 2:00PM EST. Ideally, we'll get a draft off the ground within the hour to better accommodate Euro-goons. However, if we do not have the numbers we need this afternoon, it will sadly be delayed. :smith:.

But fret not, goons! I will also be organizing another later this evening, between 7:00-8:00PM EST, that any and all may join in on! That's all good, let's get some limited fun happening!

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

I'll be on in thirty minutes

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

goodness posted:

I'll be on in thirty minutes

Sounds good. We've got a few folks interested right now, but we definitely could use another 2-4.

Soviet Canuckistan
Oct 24, 2010
I'd join you guys this evening if it takes you until 10 EST to get enough people.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Soviet Canuckistan posted:

I'd join you guys this evening if it takes you until 10 EST to get enough people.

We'll definitely hold out for you if we can. If not, we can always do one for the late crowd!

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Managed to get an afternoon game going! Only had a 7-man table, but things still went pretty smooth!

Players (using IRC tags, sorry if they don't match forums ID!)
  • Mikujin
  • tcjimbo
  • Ranmilia
  • RollofQuarters
  • KidsandGuns
  • HY

Standings ended up like this:
  1. tcjimbo (3-0) - playing RB aggro w/ Minotaurs
  2. Mikujin (2-1) - RGwu mid-rangey goodstuff
  3. Ranmilia (2-1) - playing RW heroic/aggro
  4. HY (1-2) - playing RG
  5. RollofQuarters (1-1, drop) playing RG midrange
  6. null1fy (1-1, drop) - playing esper
  7. Kidandguns (0-1, drop) - playing UW control

Everything went really smooth once we got going, and everyone seemed to enjoy their matches.

We'll be trying to set up another draft tonight between 8PM-9PM EST. If you'd like to get in on the action, drop me a line here, or in #goonvitational! The more the merrier.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Just a heads up, our evening draft seems to be going along smoothly. There seems to be some interest in doing a "late" draft tonight from several goons, and I'd totally be down for running another.

Our current draft is about to head into round 3, so it should wrap up in 30-45 minutes (give or take). If you're down for a draft later, drop by here or in the #goonvitational channel!

Results to follow this when I can!

Music For Cats
May 30, 2011

There are well over two hundred hands in the deck I drafted.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Got this tonight, Elspeth did not even matter.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Another successful round of drafting. Ranmilia took this one down though. Standings and ranking are up Here.

Some sick decks got pulled this time around, and a few guys just rolled through some matchups with nut draws every time!

E: Looks like we're going to try and get another round going! Join us in #goonvitational if you're interested!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soviet Canuckistan
Oct 24, 2010
That was a lot of fun - thanks for organizing the second draft Mikujin!

And thanks to Ranmilia for being a gentleman and a scholar and teaching me to Cockatrice.

• Locked thread