Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Dungeon Ecology posted:

I'd love to do some mock drafts with you guys, but I'm night crew. I don't get home until Yanks/Brits are in bed. Any JP/AUS/CHN/KOR Goons want to do some drafting on this side of the planet?

I'm a night owl, so I'm usually up when you guys would be. I ran a lot of the day drafts when my schedule didn't suck - let's see if we can get one together tonight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Mikujin posted:

I'm a night owl, so I'm usually up when you guys would be. I ran a lot of the day drafts when my schedule didn't suck - let's see if we can get one together tonight!

This week isn't going to work for me unfortunately, but my best times are weekdays right after work, around 4:30PM in Japan, or midnight ~ 3AM in the states.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Dungeon Ecology posted:

This week isn't going to work for me unfortunately, but my best times are weekdays right after work, around 4:30PM in Japan, or midnight ~ 3AM in the states.

I am up after midnight constantly. We can definitely work some drafts in with you.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
I wouldn't mind getting involved in this - I am UK only, and can probably only play weekday evenings (Monday-Thursday, 7-11PM GMT) and possibly Saturday/Sunday Mornings (9-12AM GMT). But if there's anyone around at those times (or a crafty lunchtime 1v1 sealed deck, 12-1PM GMT), I'd be interested.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Good to see some more interest in non-US times; idle in IRC and we can definitely get some going!

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Trying to draft in the next couple hours, hop in the irc!

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

I think this coming Monday would be good for me, around 4:30 or 5PM, Japan time.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Okay, I finally got a computer up and running and I haven't drafted in 2 weeks so I'm trying to scrap together a draft tonight. Get in IRC!

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Boxman posted:

Okay, I finally got a computer up and running and I haven't drafted in 2 weeks so I'm trying to scrap together a draft tonight. Get in IRC!

I'll be home in 30-45 minutes.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

We're hoping to get a draft going today. #goonvitational at synirc as always.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

I'll be on in an hour.

Kleedrac
Jan 16, 2008

Mii, myself & I
Anyone down for some draft? Mikujin claims to have a cube for us to try!

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Kleedrac posted:

Anyone down for some draft? Mikujin claims to have a cube for us to try!

It's a not-super-powered cube, and one from our very own Cube-Goon all-stars whtwlf123!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

As long as someone can talk me through whatever it is I have to do to start and nobody minds playing with a decidedly ok drafter, I'd like to get in on this.

Edit: or not. Are any more going to go off after this?

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Dec 17, 2013

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

suicidesteve posted:

As long as someone can talk me through whatever it is I have to do to start and nobody minds playing with a decidedly ok drafter, I'd like to get in on this.

Edit: or not. Are any more going to go off after this?
If we can, definitely!

Don't be afraid to idle in the channel and wait - someone will inevitably ask to draft (if it's not you!).

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Here's my deck from the cube.

Deck: draft

//main
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Ruby
1 Goblin Guide
1 Kird Ape
1 Mogg Fanatic
1 Arc Trail
1 Goblin Bombardment
1 Gore-House Chainwalker
1 Lotus Cobra
1 Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary
1 Scavenging Ooze
1 Tarmogoyf
1 Char
1 Wheel of Fortune
1 Bloodbraid Elf
1 Flametongue Kavu
1 Thundermaw Hellkite
1 Genesis
1 Sarkhan Vol
1 Vengevine
1 Kalonian Hydra
1 Molten-Tail Masticore
1 Bonfire of the Damned
1 Dust Bowl
1 Gemstone Mine
1 Raging Ravine
1 Stomping Ground
1 Lightning Greaves
6 Forest
6 Mountain

//Sideboard
1 Deglamer
1 Keldon Marauders
1 Wall of Blossoms
1 Wild Mongrel
1 Call of the Herd
1 Keldon Vandals
1 Wildfire
1 Hornet Queen
5 Swamp
10 Forest
10 Mountain
5 Island
5 Plains

Display deck statistics

Not a lot of people went red or green :v:

Went 2-1. I think there might have been a possibility of going 3-0 except for one huge misplay. Probably not though, logis's deck was terrifying.

plow under :argh:

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

Sleepy Owl posted:

Here's my deck from the cube.

*snip*

Went 2-1. I think there might have been a possibility of going 3-0 except for one huge misplay. Probably not though, logis's deck was terrifying.

plow under :argh:

Game 1 was going slow (I wasn't under pressure), so I was sandbagging Library of Alexandria to play it when I had 7 remaining cards in hand (I drew it when I only had 4 remaining cards in hand). I.e. against R/G, there is a bunch of land destruction (I saw Strip Mine and Wasteland in the draft along with Stone Rains, etc). A land in hand...a safe place to be from a RG player, right?

So I almost fell out of my chair when, the turn before I would finally have enough cards again to drop it and use it, you cast Wheel of Fortune!!!

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Hop in IRC, we've got 3 5 (with a 6th on the way) 4 for a Theros draft. Likely starting 7:30 Pacific time. (maybe?)

Arcsech fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Dec 18, 2013

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Working on getting a Theros draft together, aiming on 9:30 ET/ 8:30 CT. Jump in IRC.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Lets Draft Theros! Hop in the chat room.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

goodness posted:

Lets Draft Theros! Hop in the chat room.

We're hoping to get a draft started at 10pm cst, so in an hour from now.

I'm not sure how many people we have, but there's probably space for a few more? v:v:v

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde
Draft, anyone? A few interested people are lingering in the chat room...

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

I'm away from my computer for the week but I will try and get it installed on my brothers. Also, once the new year starts I will be organizing a weekly tournament thing with prizes.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Hey let's get a draft going :buddy: #goonvitational on synirc as always

Soviet Canuckistan
Oct 24, 2010
I'd just like to thank Mikujin, Owlsolar, and Ranmilia for some incredibly absurd games. I never want to draft anything that's not MMA ever again.

I managed to draft this incredible monstrosity. Yes, that's almost triple tribal.

Deck: Goonvitational Dec 29, 2013

//main
1 Amrou Scout
3 Bound in Silence
3 Warren Weirding
1 Reveillark
2 Faerie Macabre
1 Deepcavern Imp
2 Festering Goblin
1 Divinity of Pride
1 Murderous Redcap
2 Auntie's Snitch
1 Tombstalker
1 Facevaulter
1 Horobi's Whisper
2 Blightspeaker
1 Rathi Trapper
1 Avian Changeling
8 Swamp
8 Plains

//Sideboard
1 Brute Force
1 Death Denied
1 Perilous Research
1 Scion of Oona
1 Thundering Giant
1 Penumbra Spider
1 Peppersmoke
1 Syphon Life
2 Gleam of Resistance
1 Festering Goblin
2 Warren Pilferers
1 Dreamspoiler Witches
2 Otherworldly Journey
1 Blinding Beam
2 Mad Auntie
1 Saltfield Recluse
1 Thieving Sprite
2 Swamp
2 Plains

Display deck statistics

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

I'm pretty proud of how this turned out.

Deck: American Recycling

//main
2 Ęther Spellbomb
1 Dispeller's Capsule
2 Pyrite Spellbomb
1 Faerie Mechanist
2 Sanctum Gargoyle
1 Arcbound Wanderer
1 Court Homunculus
1 Arcbound Stinger
2 Esperzoa
4 Myr Enforcer
1 Myr Retriever
1 Etherium Sculptor
1 Academy Ruins
1 Blinkmoth Nexus
1 Vivid Crag
1 Vivid Meadow
1 Glacial Ray
1 Lightning Helix
1 Shrapnel Blast
1 Gifts Ungiven
3 Mountain
7 Island
3 Plains

//Sideboard
1 Yosei, the Morning Star
1 Terashi's Grasp
1 Test of Faith
1 Brute Force
2 Runed Stalactite
1 Tar Pitcher
5 Mountain
5 Island
5 Plains

Display deck statistics

MMA is fun, but I don't know how to play anything besides artifacts :saddowns:

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Anyone interested in doing a booster draft league. First week we draft a regular booster draft with 3 packs, each week after that you get 1 booster to add to the deck for 4-8 weeks or so.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

I'm all moved in here now, so make sure you're stopping by #goonvitational for drafting action! I'm gonna try and make some stuff happen over the weekend, so make sure to drop in!

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
Just played my first ever game on Cockatrice - Sealed deck vs. Ranmilia. Gotta do this more often - MTG is the best use of a Friday lunchtime at work. Cheers for putting up with my inability to use Cockatrice (and thanks for the help with the interface) - I'm hopefully getting better, but I still miss turn phases like crazy.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

goodness posted:

Anyone interested in doing a booster draft league. First week we draft a regular booster draft with 3 packs, each week after that you get 1 booster to add to the deck for 4-8 weeks or so.

This sounds awesome, I love the idea of your pool growing and the THRILL that might be cracking a bomb for your deck. I'm in.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Yeah, I'd definitely be interested.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde
Would there be trading in this sealed pool?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Maybe you can trade a set number a week.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Ok, I am getting the tournament stuff together and finishing up the planning.

I hope we can get 16 people. This will be a 6-8 week continual draft. 1st week we will draft regularly and play the matches. Each week after, you will get to open a booster pack. Also, each week you will be able to trade a certain number of cards.

There will be steam games and other things as prizes.

***Timezone or availability is 100% up to you. You can play your assigned matches for the week on any day or time.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

goodness posted:

Ok, I am getting the tournament stuff together and finishing up the planning.

I hope we can get 16 people. This will be a 6-8 week continual draft. 1st week we will draft regularly and play the matches. Each week after, you will get to open a booster pack. Also, each week you will be able to trade a certain number of cards.

There will be steam games and other things as prizes.

***Timezone or availability is 100% up to you. You can play your assigned matches for the week on any day or time.
If we're cracking more packs and allowing trading between players/pools, you may want to consider doing a Sealed start with 5-6 packs instead, since people will end up trading for their desirable stuff anyways.

Given our modes of communication, you may also want to keep track of folks' pools, trades, and available cards somewhere public as well. Should be fun though!

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Mikujin posted:

If we're cracking more packs and allowing trading between players/pools, you may want to consider doing a Sealed start with 5-6 packs instead, since people will end up trading for their desirable stuff anyways.

Given our modes of communication, you may also want to keep track of folks' pools, trades, and available cards somewhere public as well. Should be fun though!

Well I was planning only 1 or 2 trades a week. That way people still have to make creative decks, but won't be horribly crippled.

Oh, and boosters/decks will be kept track of throughout the event.

goodness fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 16, 2014

Kleedrac
Jan 16, 2008

Mii, myself & I
Who's down to draft tonight? #goonvitational on IRC!

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

goodness posted:

Well I was planning only 1 or 2 trades a week. That way people still have to make creative decks, but won't be horribly crippled.

Oh, and boosters/decks will be kept track of throughout the event.

I dunno, given people can see everyone else's card pool I don't think limiting trades is necessary - people will always try to maintain a competitive edge. On the flip side, it could be a neat strategic limitation since it will force people to trade with the player who has the most cards they need (potentially forcing unfavorable trades because it brings the actual trade use to the table if the other guy doesn't see any playables he wants).

I think sealed is probably the way to go, personally. Really pushes deck construction skills foremost since I assume we'll end up playing out round 1 before we can start trading and/or get additional packs.

Just my opinion on the matter, though!

Kleedrac posted:

Who's down to draft tonight? #goonvitational on IRC!
Totally down. Let's see if we can get guys on for this!

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Mikujin posted:

I dunno, given people can see everyone else's card pool I don't think limiting trades is necessary - people will always try to maintain a competitive edge. On the flip side, it could be a neat strategic limitation since it will force people to trade with the player who has the most cards they need (potentially forcing unfavorable trades because it brings the actual trade use to the table if the other guy doesn't see any playables he wants).

I think sealed is probably the way to go, personally. Really pushes deck construction skills foremost since I assume we'll end up playing out round 1 before we can start trading and/or get additional packs.

Just my opinion on the matter, though!

Totally down. Let's see if we can get guys on for this!

That actually makes a lot of sense. So a 5 pack Sealed for the first week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

goodness posted:

That actually makes a lot of sense. So a 5 pack Sealed for the first week.

I just remembered you dropping mention of your plans awhile ago and did a LOT of reading up on limited pool leagues to get an idea of what things work great. Generally speaking, sealed means deck builds are more open initially and no one is [usually] committed to any one color in particular, so trading is a bit more flexible/active. Drafting seems to get more people into a mode of "this is my color" and can end up having people lock up on trade options.

• Locked thread