Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer
Playnether.com is offering a deal right now.

You can get the Chosen Edition of the game (which normally costs 50 bucks) for $15. It includes the following:

* Earliest Access to Nether (Closed Beta)
* 50 Nether Gold
* Chosen-Only Exclusive In-Game Item
* 5 Guest Keys to Share with Friends
 (72 hour guest passes)
* Participation in Forums to Define Upcoming Game Features

* Special Highlighted Name/Rank in Nether Forums

Seems like a pretty good deal to me. A $50 package for less than the price of the base game? This might be what gets me to buy into this game and give it a shot.

It's worth noting that if you buy this package, it's not the steam version of the game. They may end up providing steam keys in the future, but for the time being you have to add it as a non-steam game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Gonna start screwing with Nether again in between now and ESO/Titanfall if anyone is still out there. Here's todays patch notes.

TRIBES! Band together with your friends to control your server with the introduction of tribes!
Sign up for a Tribe in the Lakeside Safe Zone - *Early Adopter Reward (Tribe Outfit) - if you signed up for Tribes with the last patch.
Keep in touch with your members using the Tribe Chat. (/tribe)
Outfit your character with your Tribe uniform!
Hunt Enemy Tribe Members to earn cash bounties!

Tribe Reputation: build up your renown with the new reputation system!
Gain reputation by killing Nether and players in enemy tribes.
Lose reputation by killing your own Tribe Members and survivors that are friendly towards your tribe.
Lose too much reputation and your Tribe will kick you out!
Earn a positive reputation and you'll earn bonus account points for persistent perks!

Mantis Creature: Watch the skies and listen for wings. The new Mantis Nether has arrived!
Mantis Nether has 3 new collectible parts that you can trade for new rewards at the Nether Hunters

All-Terrain Vehicle: Grab your friends and go hunting! Hop in this new 3 seater where you drive and your friends shoot!

Persistent account level ups: Looking for some permanence to your character? Check out the new persistent account level ups. Each level you earn grants you a bonus that you’ll never lose and get every time you spawn!

Survival Bonuses: In Nether, it’s survival of the fittest. There’s no better way to see who’s fit to stay alive than our new Survival bonuses! The longer you stay alive, the greater rewards you gain.

6 new weapons:
Pipe Sniper: Craft the new Pipe sniper for long ranged hunting!
Heartburner – Using the Mantis’ incendiary gland, this gun explodes in a spray of Hunter Spikes!
Bonespur – Nether are dangerous and it’s about time you put that to use. This sword is cobbled together from Nether parts!
Skullcleaver – just keep saying “Stop hitting yourself!!” as you cut down nether with this axe made from their fallen corpses!
Shovel – You’ve dug enough graves, so now it’s time to fill them. Hey, this handy tool can do that too!
Gravedigger – Since the stock on this impromptu Rifle is made from a shovel, the gun pretty much named itself.
Added new Metal pipe scrap item
Added new wood block item
Craftable at any Vlad Gunsmith

Nether AI Improvements:
Nether behaviors are now more befitting of the monsters they are.
Trying losing your attackers by ducking in buildings and hiding places they can’t see you to get them off your trail.
If you make a loud noise, get out of there!! If they don’t see you, they might just leave.
Take refuge in buildings if you’re afraid of those prying eyes and ears. Nether can’t hear so well through walls!
No place is safe anymore. Now the Outposts periodically come under attack! See if you can activate the Anti-Nether Devices to save the outpost without alerting the Nether!

Creature Mode:
Make your way to the Safe Zone and purchase the Nether potion! Take up the reins as a crawler! Hunt those pesky survivors down and devour their bodies!
The crawler is quick and agile. He can run much faster and jump much higher than any survivor.
Teleport around using the Left Mouse. Watch your stamina! When you run out, you reappear.
Constant hunger - you're always hungry for more humans! Make sure to take them out whenever you find them or you'll starve!

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010
Another big update, for those still keeping up with Nether. They've added the PVP territory control stuff for the factions, and more importantly opened up more of the map. They've also hosed around with the loot system yet again, which is something I feel they still hadn't really nailed by this point. Haven't tried it yet, but it sounds closer to the system that DayZ SA uses, but with searchable objects as well.

***PATCH NOTES***
April Update #1

Nether's Biggest Update Yet!

Major Updates:

Territory Wars

Territory Wars have arrived! Grab your tribesmen and capture strategic locations for the prosperity of your Tribe. You and every member of your tribe earn in-game bonuses and money for all the territories you hold so protect them with your life! Capture territories faster with more tribesmen

Every hour you hold a territory you earn money. More territories means higher earnings!
Make sure to maintain the territories you control.
If you leave them abandoned too long the other tribes will notice and it will no longer be under your control!

We have added several buildings for capture throughout

Burnham city and the Wastelands

The Salary Center - Increases cash awarded from cash pickups by 50%, increases cash rewards from all objectives by 25%
St William’s - Spawns a variety of food items in the control point at faster intervals than normal
Highway Tower - Grants a bonus to the amount of ammo awarded from pickups and purchases
Shopping Center - Grants 50% bonus experience for all actions
Warehouse - Increases reputation gains for all tribe members by 25%
David’s Memorial Church - Increases the capture speed of attacking a control point for each tribe member
Business Park - Spawns 2 Motorcycles and 2 buggies in the capture point
Westside Park - Grants all tribe members health regeneration while they are near the capture point
Low Rise Building - Offers better Nether Trading Rates than other traders, can only be accessed by the tribe that controls it
Apartment Complex - Spawns a variety of low to mid-tier guns in the area around the control point

Map Control:

Capturing territories gives your tribe control over a portion of the map. Take over more territories to control more of the map!

Servers now show which tribe has majority control over a map
Capturing Buildings and territories will show how much of Burnham your tribe controls on the map

Wastelands:

The Map has doubled in size! The barricades are down and a new section of Burnham is ripe for the taking! Be among the first to reap the unfound rewards of the Wasteland!

A passage has been cleared to the wastelands in the west
Explore a new area that is the size of the current Burnham
The wastelands have been almost entirely enveloped in toxic waters so watch where you’re walking

New loot system:

I wonder what’s in there! We’ve revamped our scavenging and loot system to be more intuitive and easy to understand. You’ll now find loot stashed away in many various hiding places. No more finding a bag of chips sitting on the floor of a subway!

Added numerous searchable items to the world
Looting objects now takes player stats into account to help new players find better loot more often
Freshly looted areas now have open and empty states to shows players loot was there but someone got to it first!

Golden Chests:

All loot points have the chance to be filled with valuables! People have locked these goodies away and they can only be unlocked with a skeleton key the is purchasable at any market. You do NOT drop your chest keys on death.

You must have a key to unlock the golden chest
Locked lootables will glow gold

Playable female character:

The future of humanity has been secured! Females are now playable in

Nether

Added a new, free “Survivalist” template to character select
Added a female tribes member for every tribe

Underwear Template:

Get caught with your pants down! This new outfit is the epitome of dressing down. Sport the boxers of your choice for everyone to see!

Custom Taunts

You can now purchase taunts at the marketplace. Each taunt is a unique animation your character plays on demand! Taunts can be previewed before purchase, you can purchase and use as many taunts as are available. Equipping a taunt:

To make use of the new taunts in the world of Nether, you must first select (or purchase) the taunt that you want on the character customization screen before logging in.
Once you've logged in, press "Esc" and select "Controls".
In the Top Right section of the "Controls" submenu you'll see the option to map the Taunt function to a keybinding. Click "Remap", select the key you would like to use to taunt, and you're ready to rock!
Once it's mapped, press the key you've chosen and unleash your taunt on the world.
To change taunts while in the world, simply press "Enter" to bring up the chat interface. This will raise a list of the taunts that you have unlocked on the left side of the screen. Click one of these taunts to play it.
The game will use the last played taunt as your active taunt when you press the taunt hotkey.
New taunts can be purchased with Nether Gold from the character customization screen before logging in.

Riot Shield

Everyone knows cover is for chumps! Grab the riot shield and charge them head on!

Added two riot shield melee weapons that can block bullets
Can be obtained via trades with the Order of the Cull

Waypoints

Sick of constantly having to open your map to make sure you’re on track? Try out the waypoint system now. Place one where you want to go and just follow the marker on the HUD. Use this to coordinate with your group or tribe for uninterrupted travel!

Right click anywhere on your map to place a waypoint
Right click a placed waypoint to remove it

Safe Spawning

On a fresh life, you have the ability to choose whether you spawn in a randomly chosen Safe Zone or in a random spot in the world!

Tutorials Quest System

Learn all there is to know about Nether! Every first time user will have a helpful, but optional tutorial that will teach all of the features of the game. Most important, get some free gear.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
So is this, like, a game yet? I logged an embarrassing amount of hours when it first came out and all I can remember is running the same route to grab loot. You might see a mans, but it would be almost certain he'd disappear into the urban jungle forever. And then the Shriekers would find you. Oh god the Shriekers. But there was really nothing to do.

If you tell me that, from your experience, that this is more than the typical "CoD where you have to scavenge for weapons and oh maybe there are some monsters too," I will probably play the hell out of it again.

E: 1. How's the starvation? I recall the biggest challenge being finding enough loving food to consume 300,000 calories a day.
2. How's the sniping? Last I played, you could grind to max level and then run around one-shotting everyone with impunity.

E: Browsed patch notes. This looks interesting, and dare I say it, might be the most coherent and polished "zombie survival simulator" available at the moment. Will have to play to determine that, but I think I'll be hopping on soon. Anyone else keeping up with this thread ought to speak up and we can muddle through it together.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Apr 4, 2014

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
...and new post for typing down impressions as I play. Prepare for :words:

*loads up game*
Great, still drops you straight on the server list. Come on guys, it can't take that long to add a bit of polish to this poo poo. Whatever, I'm a big boy and can deal with this.
Character screen. Ooooh, new skins. Oh wow. They cost money. I already paid you fuckers $30 for this. Quit gouging me, Jesus Christ.

*checks global*
Yep, still poo poo in there. Sweet. And woah. It's not slots anymore. It's some weird weight mechanic. AND A SEPARATE WARDROBE SECTION FOR APOCALYPSE DRESS-UP! :syoon:
Still not spending money on your stupid outfits.

Let's check out the store.
Wow. Surprisingly, things look pretty good! Prices don't seem to ridiculous for the in-game currency, and some cosmetic poo poo can also be bought with in-game currency. Most particularly, it doesn't look like you can use real-world money to buy weaponry, except for maybe the Nether change potion. And I guess grenades are a thing?

*opens map*
:asoiaf: Why the hell is the western portion what appears to be a giant wetland? Holy god it's loving massive. It was already hard to consistently run into people. What the gently caress are they thinking? I guess vehicles make a ton of sense now.

So, uh, I guess there's a tutorial now. It's kind of janky in that it's vague about what it wants you to do, but it seems manageable.
Guess I have to leave the safe zone. Oh hey, a Nether. Oh hey, anoth- doesn't that loving thing have wings? Yeah, going the other way.
Get a "search" prompt on dumpster. Does not work. Search prompt does not work on anything. Have not found loot anywhere except for what the Nether drop when they die. Which is guts.
Make it to the next safe zone, my mission target. It's under assault by monsters. There are a lot. I log out after leveling up a bunch and losing most of my health.

Connecting to a new server. Get a random spawn. Cool. That's dumb. But it's not far from where I need to go, so I get there and do the tutorial bit. I get water and and a medkit for that part of the tutorial, both of which I desperately need because I hadn't seen a single loving thing to loot. I was starting to starve, too. I did, however, find two of the special gold chests that require gold keys to unlock. So I was going to go spend some of my bonus IRL cash to get a key, but the servers went down for nightly maintenance I guess. It better put me back in the loving safe zone and not god-knows-where.

So while I wait for the servers to come back, let's talk about general impressions. I haven't seen the new part yet, but the old bit is still a run-down, overgrown apocalyptic hellhole. Cars everywhere, brush all over the place, and it feels like a thin layer of grime is floating in the air. I think it's fairly atmospheric. But it's also very confusing. There is a ton of room to maneuver, both horizontally and vertically, so literally any moment could be an ambush. On the one hand, it's kind of neat and realistic. On the other, it's loving annoying because all fights boiled down to who saw the other dude first and shot him from the top of a building. The consistent city is also an interesting design choice, and maybe a poor one. The verticality doesn't add a ton, and all the buildings end up feeling the same and empty of stuff. Combat feels a bit more fluid, though. I like it. It's engaging.

Servers seem to be back. Pop into one. And I get the no-clip bug where all I can do is float around and look at stuff. No menu access or anything. This bug has been around forever, and I'd be pretty annoyed, but this gives me the opportunity to zip over to the other side of the map. And wow. I'm pretty happy with it. It looks like the earth rose up and swallowed part of the city, and then a bunch of water flooded into to create a sort of swamp. It's a great mix of open stretches with limited cover and clumps of buildings, and I could see some great fights playing out if two rival groups clashed.

And now back in server, teleported out of safe zone to random location. Wow. Thanks, fuckers. Also got the bug that makes it looks like your character is a fresh spawn, but really isn't. Anyway. I detour by the church because I know loot used to spawn there. I find that you can actually search some containers, and the loot just pops out for you to pick up. It's kind of weird, but I guess it works. Then a Golem kicks my poo poo in, but not before I gain an account level.

E:

Good news is you can reliably get main-safezone respawns.
Bad news is those Golems are some loving bullshit. If they catch you without a reasonably good gun, you're hosed.

EE: More :words:

Ran around a bit longer. Hit a supply drop event, where I ran into some dude. He had a gun, so I made a mercy gesture, and he left me a bat. I then found a gold icebox, so I ran back to the safezone to buy a key. Turns out you get 5 keys per two real-money-currency units, and they aren't dropped on death. Can also buy for in-game cash. Anyway. Trot back to the box, pop that sucker open, and bam: I get like three bandages and three bromaxes. I'm guessing these crates are like the lottery and spit out a bunch of random poo poo, but I've got 4 more keys to test.

The "persistent level-up" features all look pretty lovely. The best it gets is the ability to allocate two perks upon respawn with maybe 100 points of extra health and a bit more backpack space. Useful, sure, but only very marginally.

And I guess there's kind of a pay-to-win element with the buying gold keys with money, but it's such a weird situation that I don't think it actually matters. I ran across one gold chest that was next to a regular chest and just grabbed a bunch of a good stuff out of the regular chest. Congrats on playing the lotto with randoms chests, I guess?

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Apr 4, 2014

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Sorry, I think this will be the last one for a while. :justpost:

I played around a bit more, and on the whole, things are looking reasonably good. Before I get to a more general discussion, I want to point something out about the looting system.

As far as I can tell, the looting system has some kind of issue. People are claiming that it just doesn't work, but I know for a fact that they are wrong. Previously, items used to spawn in designated locations around the map. If an assault rifle spawned, then you'd see the rifle on the ground and go pick it up. That is no longer the case at all. It appears that all items have been confined to containers, which are glowing environmental objects that you can interact with. By holding "E," your character loots the object, and everything inside pops out on the ground. Pretty straight-forward, right? It would be, but it's not. The big issue that everyone is confused about is that you can walk up to an object and attempt to loot it, only for absolutely nothing to happen. The container doesn't open, there are no prompts, and no loot appears. You can try looting again, but the same thing (nothing) will probably happen. So what gives? Well, looting isn't simply broken. I have successfully looted several objects, so it definitely functions. I pulled two guns out of a filing cabinet, so yeah. Anyway, I am trying to decide between two theories as to what the issue is. At first, I thought that the objects that don't spawn loot are simply empty, have already been looted, and are waiting on a respawn. If this is true, then there needs to be some sort of cue. However, I later repeatedly tried to loot an object, and after several tries, got stuff out of the object. So it could also be that the loot containers are just oddly sensitive to player positioning. It might be both things. In any case, it doesn't appear to be a tremendous issue if you can just relax and not freak out about being able to open that icebox. There will be others.

Now, more generally... Having played WarZ (now Infestation: Survivor Stories), both versions of DayZ, and Nether, I think I've got a reasonable grasp of what the survival genre has to offer. I am largely disappointed, but as of right now, I think Nether might have the upper hand. It is, thus far, the only survival game that has added any sort of serious objective-based play, and in my opinion, that's huge. There's certainly a ways to go, but as it stands, people have a legitimate reason to attack enemy territories while defending their own. I was going to say more, but I think you get the idea. Not only can you shoot mans in this survival game, you can shoot mans because they won't get off your lawn. There's also a masturbating taunt, so that's cool too. Hahaha these loving taunts. And smoke grenades. They're kind of fun, too.

Finally, I think this game shows promise. If people are still watching this thread and are considering playing, please say something. I'm considering redoing an OP if there is sufficient interest, as there appear to be enough mechanics in the game to make playing as a large-ish goon group cool. We'll need to pick a tribe, I guess, since that's the only way to formally play the objectives and get the bonuses, and we might also want to try to figure out a uniform. I still have my pilgrim hat...

List of tribes available to join:
H.O.P.E.
Stalkers
Sons of the Apocalypse
The Forgotten Army
Knights of the Damned
The Netherwatch
Shadow Reapers
Butter Knife Bandits

I'm not really thrilled with any of the options. Thoughts?

I'll be hanging out in the Camping the Stairs Mumble, in the Nether channel, so drop by and say hi or something.

Fake edit: I almost forgot, I have guest keys. Bother me for a guest key.

Real edit: On second thought, the melee can be kind of janky. Shouldn't be a surprise, considering the genre, but there is nothing more frustrating than not being able to melee an enemy because they're standing on a cinder block, but they can freely beat on you. In games where you ought to be doing most of your monster killing with melee weapons, that ought to be the one thing that actually reliably loving works.

Sound is also weird. It comes, for me, disproportionately through the left headphone, and sometimes it just bugs out and makes it sound like there's always a crawler standing right next to me.

And I'm still confused about looting. I just had one server where I couldn't loot any containers at all. Everyone in chat had the same issue. So I guess it also varies by server? And as an aside, don't gently caress around with the flying things. They breathe fire. And fly. And breathe fire.

The water in the new area is interesting, and kind of in a bad way. You can enter it, but you immediately sink to the bottom and begin taking damage. Using the space bar will pop you out of the water, but you can't really swim, and you'll end up taking a shitload of damage. You pretty much have to find an overland route.

I'm also not sure how I feel about gunfights yet. The weapons both feel and sound good, in my opinion, but as was the case many months ago, fights tend to be one-sided. Dude A sees dude B, follows him, waiting for the appropriate moment, then strikes. If A is a good shot, B is now dead. Let's say B survives, though, because it is entirely possible to escape. However, at that point, the fight might be over, as either A or B could just run off to some hidden alley and disappear. And then the loving Nether horde shows up. These guys really got the threatening AI monsters thing right.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 5, 2014

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Great posts. Im watching the thread, just dont have much game time atm. Anyways, I lile butter knife bandits.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Same. I'm partial to the Stalkers, if only for old "Get out of here" time's sake. One day I will have time to play video games again.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Forgotten Army, Knights, Netherwatch, and Shadow Reapers all sound like something a child came up with. Sons is slightly better, but still. I would spring for Butter Knife Bandits, but I feel like that's where all the "quirky" people will go, which leaves HOPE and Stalkers. I'll probably swing with Stalkers for now, since changing tribes is apparently pretty trivial.

E: I also apparently pissed off the Butter Knife kids by ganking one of their dudes.

I've also noted two issues that deserve remark.

First, the random respawn thing is pretty intensely annoying. There's not much to be said beyond that. Fresh spawns can choose whether or not to start in the main safe zone, but after that, every spawn until your next death is 100% random. It seems like such a lazy, stupid system.

Second, there is a pretty serious loot problem. It could be that I'm an idiot (probably unlikely), but the loot tables seem utterly hosed. I can run around looting filing cabinets and crates all day, and all I find are weapons and weapon parts. It's like every office in the city was a weapons depot. But food? Meds? Melee weapons? Good loving luck. The only reliable source of those things is from the in-game marketplace. On the upside, cans of soup and katanas aren't very expensive, but that really shouldn't be our only recourse. Otherwise, you're stuck with a knife for a loooong time, and that's no fun. Then, it just becomes a battle against attrition in which you inevitably start losing health and hunger faster than you can ever hope to restore it. In my mind, the only way you could keep a high-level character alive on a permanent basis would be to either make a run to the safe zone every twenty minutes or to carry around a huge stack of army rations, and that doesn't even begin to take into account the costs of buying medical supplies.

Less important are vehicles, but man oh man, you should give one a try if you can find one. The motorbikes seem to be steered with the mouse, which is just a disaster since the bikes consistently over-turn, so you're constantly veering all over the place, all the while trying to avoid obstacles. May as well walk. If there were long, open roads, this would be a different issue, but they really ought to make the vehicle control a little more manageable.

A general trend also seems to be that the developers are really bad about dealing with bugs. There are bugs that were problematic when the game was first available that still exist. Yeah, it's early-access, but when you're encouraging people to spend more real-world money on in-game items, I think you have an obligation to eliminate bugs and exploits in a timely fashion.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 5, 2014

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Is anyone an aspiring short films producer?

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

I still have guest passes.

E: What I'm finding really bothersome at this point is the global inventory and how it interacts with the crafting system. Inventories are no longer slot-based, they're mainly "space-based," which is to say that each item takes up an amount of space in a container. The global has something like 300 space, and large backpacks have similar amounts. Sometimes more. So clearly you can't store everything you find in your global, you have to be picky. Makes sense, adds some challenge, great, right?

Enter the crafting system. Most of the crafting is unremarkable. Trading a few Nether heads for a scope is just kind of convenient if you've got the bits laying around, but it's not something you'd go out of your way for. However, there are a few really nice craftable items. Problem with these items is that the recipes involve things like 20 crawler spines. Those spines are 5 space each, so as you might imagine, that stuff adds up ludicrously quickly. The case is similar, but not quite as bad, for weapons parts, since they have a tendency to just pile up. It would be nice to save them for a rainy day, but there's never room. Despite that, the game will not stop loving throwing them at you. All weapon parts all the time, good luck finding food or medicine. For all the things the game does right, it royally fucks up with loot distribution. I'm pretty sure that, without the ability to purchase food, walking would deplete your energy faster than you could replace it with food. Which means that existence outside of safe zones is ultimately and unavoidably futile.

On the upside, I ran around with a bunch of other Stalkers on a Stalker-controlled server and that was vaguely interesting. They were all fairly nice, but it seems like the tribes largely self-segregate. Once one tribe gains the upper hand on a server, all the other tribes bail. People are too reluctant to take the fight across servers.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 6, 2014

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
Golems seem tough in the beginning but they're actually the weakest nether. You can beat them flawlessly at level 1 with a knife. All you need to do is get them to start an attack animation then run out of range. Once the animation is complete run back in hit them once or twice. Rinse and repeat till the Golem is dead.

I joined the Butter Knife Bandits.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Tanreall posted:

Golems seem tough in the beginning but they're actually the weakest nether. You can beat them flawlessly at level 1 with a knife. All you need to do is get them to start an attack animation then run out of range. Once the animation is complete run back in hit them once or twice. Rinse and repeat till the Golem is dead.

I joined the Butter Knife Bandits.

Seriously? That's really good to know. I'm apparently terrible at meleeing Golems. Honestly, Golems and Mantises shouldn't be able to teleport, I don't think. Being either a hulking monster or a flying, fire-breathing shitbird are sufficient advantages.

And until I (or rather, if I ever) get a new OP:
Mumble server info!
My Steam profile.
Largely defunct Steam group.

E: Some random dude just gave me a stack of 38,000 health kits. Okay then. Um. Thanks dude?

Yeah, never mind. Forget all the goods things I said about this; it is stupidly, hysterically broken. I now have hundreds of thousands of dollars thanks to the one dude gifting me duped health kits, and when you die, 10% of your money drops on the ground. Consequently, trickle down from dupers to regular folks is happening, so everyone is running around with effectively infinite amounts of cash. It gets better, though. When you reload your weapon, extra ammo gets generated. That's right, this is basically the easiest glitch ever, and it results in free ammunition. So now everyone has unlimited cash and ammo. We're still not done, though, nope. The icing on the cake is that going prone on the ground (not on top of a building or stairs or whatever, has to be the ground) makes your invincible to bullet damage.

I also got something like a total of fifteen frag, flash, and smoke grenades from some random crate, so loot is clearly balanced, too. The "premium" crates only seem to ever spawn the same headgear, so it's not even worth loving around with those, despite having infinite money.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 6, 2014

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Anyone still got guest passes for this game? Would be interested in trying it out.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAWW/

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010
They've apparently moved from Early Access to relased today, in addition to this month's patch. Also guest keys are renewed again.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Shadefyre posted:

They've apparently moved from Early Access to relased today, in addition to this month's patch. Also guest keys are renewed again.

Hahahaha no loving way. They did. Wow.

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010
Oh hey, I guess they noticed the duping problem, because they also wiped people's inventories when they went to "Full" release. No idea if they've actually fixed it or not, but apparently they're using VAC now.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Shadefyre posted:

Oh hey, I guess they noticed the duping problem, because they also wiped people's inventories when they went to "Full" release. No idea if they've actually fixed it or not, but apparently they're using VAC now.

They haven't. I checked, just for funsies, and everyone apparently has a billion dollars again.

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."
I didn't think any other goons played this! I got it on a whim because it was cheaper than Dayz, and I wanted to dip my feet in the water before I dove into the survival pond entirely. I've played about...10 hours? It doesn't seem too bad to me, but I enjoy exploration as much as I enjoy survival. I keep meaning to find a nondescript building in a server and start hoarding food on top of it, somewhere, but I'm not sure if items remain after you drop them.

I also keep dying, though I've only been killed for being a :byodame: directly once. I was expecting more from the FPS crowd, to be honest- I heard the general horror stories, but it really doesn't seem so bad.

Maybe I'll run into some of you :3:.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Been wanting to get my feet wet with a DayZ-like game, and this setting looks more interesting, and it's $6.74 on Steam right now.

1) Is it worth it?
2) Does it feel like a full release or still like a beta/alpha?
3) Would this run on an AMD FX 4-Core Black Edition FX-4300, GTX650 Ti with 8GB RAM? (at least 1366x768 on my HDTV)
4) Just noticed people can buy stuff with real money. Is this a problem?

Roman fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 21, 2014

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010

Roman posted:

Been wanting to get my feet wet with a DayZ-like game, and this setting looks more interesting, and it's $6.74 on Steam right now.

1) Is it worth it?
3) Would this run on an AMD FX 4-Core Black Edition FX-4300, GTX650 Ti with 8GB RAM? (at least 1366x768 on my HDTV)

1)Having had this since it's initial early access release, I'm still not sure about this. The shooting doesn't feel terrible, the map is fairly large, and there's decent variety of loot and stuff to do. But like most survival games, it's a lot more enjoyable with other people, especially since the current map size is kind of too big in relation to the number of players in a server to really run into people often. For what it's worth, I've had fun for most of the time I've played it.
2)Parts of it feel fleshed out, and most of the stuff that feels unfinished is in the map itself. Certain areas feel a bit unpolished, though I've never clipped into a wall and died.
3)It's running on Unreal, so it should run fine on there.
4)Pretty much everything you can buy is cosmetic, except for a few thing like the wing glider (which drops on death) and Nether potions that you play as a monster for a life. But you can buy everything, even the cosmetic stuff, with in-game cash.

All that said, there are apparently still issues with duping, and people being full of money right now.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Roman posted:

1) Is it worth it?

So hopefully you haven't pulled the trigger on this because it might get featured at a $3.00 price, which is pretty loving good. That said, as someone with 155 hours logged:

1. At a couple of bucks? Sure. You can, worst-case scenario, run around for a few hours, die a couple of times, and shelf it. That said, it's not a "good" game. But most games in this genre aren't, and at least Nether isn't as obnoxiously buggy as DayZ. Big issue, for me, at least, is how stupid engagements tend to be. The guns are all pretty lethal, so if someone gets the drop on you, you're basically dead and there's probably nothing you can do about it. Realistic? Sure, but it's unfun as hell. Some dude camping with a sniper can wreck your poo poo instantly, and I have to reiterate that there is seriously no hope of survival if the sniper knows what he's doing. And the sniper-type weapon isn't that hard to get a hold of.

2. Beta, at best.

3. Yes, easily. I was running it on a 550 Ti for a while.

4. Hell no. And if it were, it wouldn't matter because the economy is totally hosed thanks to duping.

Maybe read a couple of my prior posts. They'll probably seem harsh, but they're my reflections after playing for a very long time. I wouldn't have played a bunch if it wasn't at least somewhat fun, and it's probably a pretty good intro to the genre, both the good and the bad.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Too late, I already bought it. It's more interesting than DayZ (which looks dull IMO) but like you said it's still a beta at best. The features are great and it has a lot of potential but I don't think I would have been happy if I had paid full price for it in its current state. But for the sale price (especially if it ends up on sale for $3) people will get some fun out of it.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does someone have a guest pass? I'd like to try before I buy.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

Does someone have a guest pass? I'd like to try before I buy.

Bother me on Steam and I'll try to get you hooked up. http://steamcommunity.com/id/hg_shanks13/

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So a head's up on people wanting to buy / try. I grabbed a guest pass and tried to play the game, but it locks up on the server browser.

This is a bug from December.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Turtlicious posted:

So a head's up on people wanting to buy / try. I grabbed a guest pass and tried to play the game, but it locks up on the server browser.
This is a bug from December.
It's not actually locking up, it just takes realy god drat long to keep pinging servers. If you wait for a couple of minutes it will work. Good thing it automatically goes right to the browser whenever you boot the game up or disconnect from a server! It got even worse after it got a surge in new players from the Steam sale.

Although maybe the horrible reviews on the Steam page curbed new sales a little. Even though the bad reviews were mostly "hates ANY DayZ-like survival game" or "this game is pay-to win (even though you can't buy weapons, ammo, or armor with real money).

Oh yeah the top review is a negative, whining that the game is all about assholes sniping you for your backpack. If only the trailer for this game that automatically plays on the Steam page had actually featured multiple people sniping each other for their backpacks... how could he have known

Roman fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jun 26, 2014

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
So I picked this up for $3 during the summer sale and, god help me, I like it so far. Just accept the fact that you'll die often and go with the flow. Experience with other players has varied depending on server. On one, a slow trickle of people showed up to a base defense and worked together to clear it out, no hostility. On another the base defense was a clusterfuck of people murdering each other left and right. I did have the fun of taking out 3 Butterknifers that decided it'd be fun to gang up on me after I respawned. Is there a goon crew that messes with pubbies ala Starfleet Dental? I think that'd add a breath of fresh air after running around solo for so long.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Raptor1033 posted:

So I picked this up for $3 during the summer sale and, god help me, I like it so far. Just accept the fact that you'll die often and go with the flow. Experience with other players has varied depending on server. On one, a slow trickle of people showed up to a base defense and worked together to clear it out, no hostility. On another the base defense was a clusterfuck of people murdering each other left and right. I did have the fun of taking out 3 Butterknifers that decided it'd be fun to gang up on me after I respawned. Is there a goon crew that messes with pubbies ala Starfleet Dental? I think that'd add a breath of fresh air after running around solo for so long.

Oh gosh, the three butter knifers were probably us. We wanted to gently caress around with the knives. :D

I saw it was $3 and yelled at a lot of people to get it and know we play it fairly often, just getting done with a six hour stretch. We're not a full goon crew, there are a few pubbies but they're not horribly spergy.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 25, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

I got this game during the steam sale and I'm really looking forward to it getting better. It's fun 90% of the time I'm playing, but that other 10% is soul crushing. Walking into LSZ while it's under attack sucks so hard. It also sucks when you have chumps in your tribe that just want to kill you for your shotgun. I have an extra in my global, you could have just asked for it. I'd happily trade for ammo or whatever really.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Patch coming next week, but there is a workaround for the server browser slowdown:

quote:

I wanted to give you all some insight into what we're working on over the next few days. We have a lot of fixes that we're testing right now that we expect to have released to the public early next week. They include:

- A fix for the server list slowdown
- Server requests will timeout and return you to the server list instead of going into spectator mode
- The game will no longer start in 1920x1080 Fullscreen
- Fixes for coastal instant death spots
- Lots of collision fixes

In the meantime, you can make an ini file change to improve the server list slowdown:

1) Open My Documents > my games > Nether
2) Search "NetherEngine" in this folder
3) Open "NetherEngine" file in Notepad (making a backup of this file is recommended)
4) Find "ServerBrowserTimeout=10"
5) Change the "10" to "0.2"
6) Save and Quit, or continue for VOIP fix

To Fix the "Microphone in use by game" problem where the game overrides Steam Chat:

7) Find "bHasVoiceEnabled=true"
8) Change "true" to "false" (note: only do this if you don't intend to use in-game chat, which I'm told isn't 100% yet anyway).

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Roman posted:

Patch coming next week, but there is a workaround for the server browser slowdown:
This is the kind of poo poo that supposed to get fixed in alpha stage

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Nitrox posted:

This is the kind of poo poo that supposed to get fixed in alpha stage
No poo poo, I don't know why they decided it was time to leave Early Access. People might be cutting them some slack if it wasn't considered a "full release."

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Roman posted:

No poo poo, I don't know why they decided it was time to leave Early Access. People might be cutting them some slack if it wasn't considered a "full release."

It was a really poor move and I have no idea why Valve allowed it, beyond probably not giving much of a poo poo. It's probably okay from a content perspective, but the raw number of bugs, glitches, and overall lack of balance is appalling.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it
I'm digging this game a lot, and am now playing with a buddy of mine. Once we gear up well enough, is it possible to duo stuff like escort missions or clearing out those capturable areas? Or are those things intended for way more people?

I don't like how unfinished it feels overall but I really enjoy the post-post apocalypse kinda setting of this game, the greenery overgrowth and the tilting skyscrapers and all that. I make my safe money/xp delivering packages out in the western areas but that's less fun because it's boring out there :smithfrog:

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

a slim spar posted:

I'm digging this game a lot, and am now playing with a buddy of mine. Once we gear up well enough, is it possible to duo stuff like escort missions or clearing out those capturable areas? Or are those things intended for way more people?

I don't like how unfinished it feels overall but I really enjoy the post-post apocalypse kinda setting of this game, the greenery overgrowth and the tilting skyscrapers and all that. I make my safe money/xp delivering packages out in the western areas but that's less fun because it's boring out there :smithfrog:

You can solo the escort missions if you're quick and quiet. It gets easier if you have friends, since at least one of you becomes expendable. Capturing areas is kind of dumb because they're usually either uncontested or being heavily camped, so stick to escorts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
:siren:New thread. Go post and make it look popular.:siren:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3647090

• Locked thread