Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

:siren: This is a terrible game that you should not buy, and it is probably going to die before the year is out. Don't make the mistake I did. If you are at all interested in flightpath system space combat, X-Wing is far and away a better implementation. :siren:

I played this enthusiastically since shortly after release but that enthusiasm gradually got beat down by the poor balance, poor rules support, wacky semi-collectible model, and relentless release schedule. The first few waves showed a little bit of uneven-ness and promise, but in retrospect it's been almost completely downhill since the Year of Spheres if I'm being honest. I belatedly came into X-Wing and am preaching conversion with all the zeal of the newly converted myself.

There are a lot of great and economical ways to get info X-Wing. I'd recommend starting with the new "The Force Awakens" core set and picking up a couple expansions that appeal to you, then building from there. The X-Wing thread has some good starting advice.

Once you're caught up on what you want to grab from existing releases, you'll be able to breathe a sigh of relief about the release schedule. Rather than making GBS threads out 3 expansions every.single.month. like WK, with FFG every wave has plenty of lead time with previews and such and come (very roughly speaking) about quarterly. This means more careful balance and playtesting, and less of a pocket book impact with plenty of time to plan your purchases. Plus it feels a lot nicer to pay $15 for a little toy ship that doesn't look like something that would disappoint you if it came out of a .50 vending machine egg.

While this game seems to be on its last legs with new expansions cancelled in favor of rereleases and organized play support being scaled back, X-Wing looks fit as a fiddle with annual film releases to draw content from and keep interest in the franchise high, along with an upcoming 8-nation event which culminates in the top player from each country being flown to the UK for an invitational event, at Star Wars Celebration, Holy poo poo.

Here's the great thing: You already know how to play.

STAW player's X-Wing crash course

The basic actions are essentially the same. Evade is Evade, Target Lock functions identically, "Focus" is "Battlestations," and "Barrel Roll" is a "Sensor Echo" that uses the range 1 template (you don't need to be cloaked, and cloaking is a rule that so far only comes into play with a single ship: the TIE Phantom), "Boost" is an additional 1 ahead or bank move that doesn't count as "performing a maneuver." That's most of what you'll see starting out.'

There are a few maneuvers (4 bank and 6 straight) that simply don't exist, and a few (talon roll, S-loop) that you'll have to learn, but the basics of fleet building and turn structure is almost identical. Two other major differences: Ships overlapping an obstacle cannot fire, and ships cannot shoot another ship that they are touching.

There are only 3 (rather than 13) factions, and the game is sensibly faction-locked (essentially the "Fleet Pure" houserule from STAW), though most upgrades are faction-agnostic and can be deployed to most ships. The faction-locking there is mostly confined to specific unique characters and works about like you'd expect.

Old OP:
---------------------------------------------8<

What is it?
Attack Wing is Wizkids’ third and arguably best effort to capitalize on the Star Trek license. It uses a modified version of the Flightpath system licensed from Fantasy Flight games, meaning X-Wing players will find the mechanics familiar. Compared to X-Wing, the ships are uglier out of the box (though a quick ink wash helps) and the capital-ship scale focus means less swarms of evasive ships and more focus on fewer ships with the crew and upgrades you attach to them.

How does it play?

The mechanics themselves are relatively simple. Each round the players secretly determine what maneuvers their ships will perform and place a “maneuver dial” next to the corresponding ship in their fleet. Then in ascending order of the skill value of the captains on each ship, they peform that maneuver by moving the ship to the end of the corresponding measuring template, followed by taking an “action.” This might be scanning, cloaking, using the special ability of a crewman or equipment upgrade, and so on. Then in a combat phase ships shoot at eachother in descending order of their captains’ skill values, rolling proprietary eight sided attack and defense dice and comparing results.

The various fleet configurations available range from flotillas of stripped down torpedo boats with no-name crews and captains to a pair of massive ships loaded with superstar crews, special weapons, and gear. This allows for a lot of exception-based rules interactions and "combos" and emergent metagame complexity. The rules only slightly penalize you for mixing up factions all crazy, so you can have Bones patching up a Jem’Hadar warrior under the command of Tomolak while he shoots Romulan Plasma Torpedos from a Ferengi Marauder or what the Hell ever.

What are the Factions Like?

The Federation

(pictured above: Science, Diplomacy, and Exploration)

The federation is characterized by versatile, fairly balanced ships with excellent captain and crew upgrades, including arguably the two best captains in the game (take one loving guess). Given the lax faction-mixing rules in the game, you can expect to have this advantage obviated by clones of Picard and Sulu on the bridge of every single (better armed, cloaking) ship you face from other factions. Their ships tend to have wide firing arcs, making them a bit more “newbie-friendly” as they forgive less cautious maneuvering.

The Klingon Empire

Klingons get the highest attack values, fairly maneuverable ships, near-universal access to cloak on their ships, and some great offensive buffs and synergies. They play pretty straightforwardly, about like you’d expect. :black101:

The Romulan Star Empire

Romulan ships all have access to cloak, and their ships are all fairly slippery. They excel at nasty tricks like cloaked mines, defensive technologies to negate hits and foil attacks, and bullshit technobabble weapons. They are without honor.

The Dominion

The Dominion is a cosmopolitan empire composed of Cardassians, Smug Space Elves, Clone Warrior Crackhead Gecko People Suicide Troops, Daft Punk aliens, all lead by T-1000’s made of meat. As you might expect from that, there doesn’t seem to be one strong way to characterize their potpori of spaceships.

Other factions are the Independents (Including KHAN), Ferengi (perhaps appropriately available only by paying far out the rear end for a ship that was a limited edition tournament reward), with with the Borg and Species “Whatever Boring Numbers Thing Fluidic Space gently caress You Voyager” in the pipeline.

Release Schedule
So far each "Expansion Pack" includes the named version mentioned, as well as the cards and material to play that model as the generic version (IE you can run the USS Enterprise as a generic "Constitution Class" starship). Typically they include 1-2 captains, some crew, upgrade cards, all the tokens to run the ship, etc.

Wave 0:
•Base game (Includes USS Enterprise D, IKS Mat-H'a, IRW Kharaza)
•U.S.S. Reliant Expansion Pack
•U.S.S. Enterprise Expansion Pack
•I.K.S. Gr’oth Expansion Pack
•I.K.S. Negh’var Expansion Pack
•I.R.W. Valdore Expansion Pack
•R.I.S. Apnex Expansion Pack
•Kraxon Expansion Pack
•Gor Portas Expansion Pack

Wave 1 (October 2013):
•U.S.S. Defiant Expansion Pack
•I.K.S. Kronos One Expansion Pack
•I.R.W. Praetus Expansion Pack
•5th Wing Patrol Ship Expansion Pack

Wave 2 (December 2013):
•U.S.S. Excelsior Expansion Pack
•I.K.S. Koraga Expansion Pack
•R.I.S. Vo Expansion Pack
•Koranak Expansion Pack

Wave 3 (February 2014):
•U.S.S. Equinox Expansion Pack
•I.K.S. Somraw Expansion Pack
•I.R.W. Gal Gath’thong Expansion Pack
•4th Division Battleship Expansion Pack

Wave 4 (April 2014):
•U.S.S. Voyager Expansion Pack
•Bioship Alpha Expansion Pack
•Borg Sphere 4270 Expansion Pack
•Nistrim Raider Expansion Pack

Wave 5 (June? 2014):
• Borg Tactical Cube Expansion Pack
• Bajoran Interceptor Five Expansion Pack
• Vulcan D’Kyr Expansion Pack

Wave 6 (July? 2014):
• USS Enterprise (Refit) Expansion Pack
• Borg Soong Expansion Pack
• Dominion Battlecruiser Expansion Pack

Tournament/Organized Play Prizes/Rewards

Month 1 (September)
•Krayton/D’Kora-class Ferengi Marauder Pre-painted Plastic Ship (competitive prize – 3)
•Elite Attack Dice/Reference Cards (participation prize – 12)
•DS9/Nor-Class Space Station Oversize token & cards (participation prize – 12)

Month 2 (October)
•I.K.S. Ch’Tang/B’rel-class Pre-painted Plastic Ship (competitive prize – 3)
•Command Tokens/Cards/Reference Cards (participation prize – 12)
•Red Shirt Crew Upgrade Promo Cards (participation prize – 12)

Month 3 (November)
•P.W.B. Aj’rmr/D’deridex-class Pre-painted Plastic Ship (competitive prize – 3)
•Reinforcements Sideboards /Reference Cards (participation prize – 12)
•Plastic Bases and Pegs set; each set includes 4 bases and 8 pegs (in 4 colors) (participation prize – 12)
•Map Element Sets (6)

Month 4 (December/January)
•U.S.S. Sutherland/Nebula-class Pre-painted Plastic Ship (competitive prize – 3)
•Flagship set; each set includes 4 Flagship Cards, 1 Reference Card, and 1 Base and 2 Pegs (black) (participation prize – 12)

Month 5 (February)
•Rav Laerst/Breen Battle Cruiser Pre-painted Plastic Ship (competitive prize— 3)
•Hideki Class Attack Squadron Resource with Reference card and Ship Card/tokens (participation prize— 12)

Month 6 (March)
•Akorem/Bajoran Starship Pre-painted Plastic Ship (competitive prize— 3)
•Federation Attack Squadron Resource with Reference Card and Ship Card/tokens (participation prize— 12)
•DS9/Nor-Class Space Station Oversize token & cards (participation prize – 12)
•Deep Space 9 Pre-painted Plastic Space Station Grand Prize (1)

Tholian Web (April??)
• Three (3) Limited Edition Tholian Ship, Cards, and Tokens Competitive Prize Packs
• 10 Limited Edition “Skilled Helmsman” Resource and Reference Card Participation Prizes.

Arena (May??)
• Three (3) Limited Edition Competitive Prizes (Probably a Gorn thing??)
• 10 Limited Edition Participation Prizes. (??)

I have profoundly bad opinions about everything and liked Loud Star Trek and its sequel Wrath of Incredibly White Khan. Is the NuTrek universe represented in the game?
No. :frogout:

I wish to engage in honorable combat with other spergy neckbeards to assure my entry into StoVoKor
Q’pla! You are in luck. Attack Wing has a pretty robust Organized Play program, currently running scenarios based on the Dominion War storyline from Best Trek (DS9). These events include participation rewards and rad limited edition spaceship prizes. Check with your FLGS to see if they run this stuff.

http://wizkidsgames.com/dominionwar/

Is there a list builder?

This one is pretty good:
http://www.dracossoftware.com/STAWHome.html
It's got all the relevant ship/captain/upgrade stats and details, including which expansion they're from to help collection planning.

So this is the thread for us to geek out about supercombos and get really mad at eachother that they are ~not canonical~, and talk about where and how to play, and how ugly the little toy spaceships are, and how the attack value of the B’rel compared to the Miranda doesn’t make sense because of the technical readouts published in a 1986 issue of Starlog. Or for the Trek-curious to ask those of us who've spent too much money on tiny Enterpises more about the game. So get posting. Experience Bij!

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Feb 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
I am dying at the thread tag.

Attack Wing rocks. It's most of the joy of That Other Not-Star Trek Game without the hours and paperwork. poo poo, my eight-year-old daughter can play.

I only have the basic set, but am a step away from sinking all of my food money into stupid plastic toys again. I at least want the Enterprise and a D7. Do we have any idea what's on the release schedule for this game?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Flight Path is good stuff, Trek is good stuff, and I'm about to throw money at the Dominion and get into the local organized play.

Otisburg posted:

Other factions are the Independents (Including KHAN), Ferengi (perhaps appropriately available only by paying far out the rear end for a ship that was a limited edition tournament reward), with with the Borg and Species “Whatever Boring Numbers Thing Fluidic Space gently caress You Voyager” in the pipeline.

Don't forget Mirror Universe is also a planned faction!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Gau posted:

I only have the basic set, but am a step away from sinking all of my food money into stupid plastic toys again. I at least want the Enterprise and a D7. Do we have any idea what's on the release schedule for this game?

At least through the next three waves, which takes us out to April 2014, if I'm not mistaken.

In December we're getting the Excelsior (OH MY!), Kogora/K'Vort Klingon Bird of Prey, Romulan RIS Vo, and I think the larger Cardassian battleship.

After that is the USS Equinox, Some Klingon ship from Enterprise, The TOS Romulan warbird, and a big Jem'Hadar/Vorta battleship for the Dominion.

Then in April some new factions are comin' with that wave being the Voyager, a Borg Sphere, Species 90210 ship, and a Kazon Raider.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Flight Path is good stuff, Trek is good stuff, and I'm about to throw money at the Dominion and get into the local organized play.

Building up to three ships, I heartilly suggest you skip the Kraxon and double up on Jem'Hadar ships. Much as I like the spoonheads, the Galor-class is buying yourself fifteen bucks of BIJ. It can't turn worth a drat, the included captains and crew are truly uninspiring, the secondary weapon is an actively bad newbie trap (you want to STACK MORE DICE ALL THE TIME, splitting five dice among multiple ships is a PENALTY). About the only thing marginally okay with it is the tech upgrades, and I guess the unique version has TWO tech slots which you could probably figure out something amusing to do with. While flying in a pretty much straight Goddamn line because all of the tight turns in its maneuver profile are red.

Or wait for the bigger Cardashian battleship thing coming out next month, depending on what the preview spoilers reveal. Andrew Parks, one of the game designers, posts on the BGG forums for Attack wing regularly and has indicated that Gul Dukat will be a captain who brings it, and the ship will have some goodness.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Nov 1, 2013

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I don't suppose you have a link to his comments? Also, the completist sperg in me will probably necessitate picking up one Kraxon just to get access to the upgrades.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 1, 2013

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I don't suppose you have a link to his comments? Also, the completist sperg in me will probably necessitate picking up one Kraxon just to get access to the upgrades.

The EM Pulse is pretty okay, and the antiproton scanner is a start against the supremecy of Star Cloak: Cloak Wing, which doubly fucks you as a Dominion guy with no in-faction access to Cloak.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Is this like X-Wing where you are pretty much required to buy every single ship just for the specific upgrade cards? X-wing is littered with "Y ships best possible upgrade is located only in Z ships box" type crap. How viable would it be to just buy klingon ships and use the crews/upgrades contained in those expansions.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

zVxTeflon posted:

Is this like X-Wing where you are pretty much required to buy every single ship just for the specific upgrade cards? X-wing is littered with "Y ships best possible upgrade is located only in Z ships box" type crap. How viable would it be to just buy klingon ships and use the crews/upgrades contained in those expansions.

If you are going for tournament-smashing ur-builds...honestly yes, to a point. If you want to explore every interaction and get every combo going, so far it seems like near every expansion has one upgrade that does THIS thing when paired with THAT thing. For example the Romulan captain Donotra gives an extra attack die to nearby ships, which stacks nicely with the abilities of Gowron, LE Martok, the Barrage of Fire Klingon upgrade, and the natural high attack of Klingon ships. Leaving an untrustworthy Romulan out of your fleet of Klingon warriors means you're missing one potential source of over-the-top buff-age, but it's not an insurmountable thing.

EDIT: Also, while I didn't see it much so far in my local meta, a lot of people complain that Sulu is GODDAMN EVERYWHERE. He is a crew upgrade that lets you spend your action to get a substantial boost to evade with no downside, and gets routinely pressed into service by every faction from what I hear. So expect to hear from people asking why you don't have Sulu at the helm of your Klingon Flagship.

That said, the Klingons are pretty strong when played faction-pure, and have a ton of in-faction synergies. Cloak is very strong, as is stacking a ton of attack dice, and they have means to do the latter in-faction pretty well. As the game is structured, though, each Klingon ship will come with enough upgrades to fully kit it out, generally with some options on what to take and what to leave like multiple captains to choose from and more crew than you have room for on one of the ships. And of course you can swap these upgrades among other Klingon expansions for more versatility.

The last OP event I ran I saw plenty of builds that were almost pure Klingon, with the addition of the "Counter Attack" Romulan Elite Talent from the starter box(basically an extra upgrade that gives a special tactic when added to a skilled captain that has a slot to take one), and one of those was the overall winner.

So, in short, you will have a fair number of strong options, you have versatility, you can certainly win. But it will of necessity mean leaving some of the faction-bending combos and synergies that you could have if you were going to get everything and mix and match.

I think Klingon and Romulan are probably the two strongest factions to play absolutely unadulterated, to be honest.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Nov 2, 2013

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Picked this up at Gencon and have been playing with a local group since. I need to really get to the game shop and pick up the more recent batch of ships.

I played through the first OP and did well with two Miranda Class ships and the Enterprise-D, just out turning everyone and abusing the 180 degree firing arc and the D's 360 Secondary. Threw Khan in the Reliant, Denatra in the Ent-D, and Clark Terrel in the nameless Miranda. Ended up coming in second out of twelve which meant I was unable to get a ship (either first or last place noooo :negative: )but the Elite die was worth it.

Was unable to make it to the second OP but I guess some guy rolled in with some 6-8+ attack die a firing round build that wiped the floor of the competition.

Going to the 3rd OP tonight which I don't care about the ship for so going to toss a gimmick build together of two Apnex ships and the Reliant so I can stack Muon Wave tokens on a single ship and then run circles around it while it tries to shake the tokens. Just gotta pray the Apnex ships can stay together to get the wave off.

Dr. Doji Suave fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Nov 2, 2013

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Dr. Doji Suave posted:

Going to the 3rd OP tonight which I don't care about the ship for so going to toss a gimmick build together of two Apnex ships and the Reliant so I can stack Muon Wave tokens on a single ship and then run circles around it while it tries to shake the tokens. Just gotta pray the Apnex ships can stay together to get the wave off.

Sounds similar to what I plan to run. Two Romulan Science Vessels with Ferengi EM Pulses. One Praetus with 2 cloaked mines and Donotra (It's a poo poo ship, but the cheapest way to deliver the mines with its two equipment slots). And probably the Enterprise D with Scotty and Picard for some punch.

Cloaked mines deployed near the planet to deny area and cause fuckery, RSVs repeatedly throwing multiple aux power tokens on their biggest ship with EM Pulse so it's eather action-hosed or has to creep at impulse through the minefields to clear them. While they are coming at me at impulse through minefields, I get a head start on the ground war.

Also, explicitly awarding the fellowship prize as a "last place" prize instead of a sportsmanship award or even second place/raffle prize always struck me as dumb as Hell. Great, now you've incentivized a bunch of people to show up and try to out-Pakled eachother.

As far as OP prizes/rewards, I'm most stoked for the Flagship resource, the USS Southerland, and the starfleet fighters (which I expected to be a lame token but is actually a cool little trio of fighters that goes on a flight stand.) And speaking of flight stands, SO jazzed about the colored flight stands of all things.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Nov 2, 2013

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah the Sutherland is the ship I am really gunning for right now, I plan on trying to take that Saturday off so I can guarantee make it to the OP event.

I think the idea of the 'Redshirt Award' is neat, but I also think they need to have an incentive for second place in an OP other than 'well, think of the Fleet Points!'. Everyone at our store has been playing pretty hard which helps take the sting out of it, but it is still a bit of a run down knowing you either gotta come out swinging or hope you don't look like you are taking a nose dive for last place.

I want the colored bases so bad, I am thinking of hitting up multiple OPs in the area over the next month so I can get several sets.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Dr. Doji Suave posted:

I want the colored bases so bad, I am thinking of hitting up multiple OPs in the area over the next month so I can get several sets.

Worst case I figure people will end up deciding which crew they want to rep hardest and trading amongst themselves, since you get 1 of each color.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Whelp cloaked mines are probably going to wreck this game to pieces forever. I just ran the OP2 event and they seem to be creeping into every build. It's only going to get worse with the OP3 scenario.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
Have there been any mentions of some of the expanded universe stuff? An Aventine/Vesta would probably get me to pick up at least that model, and probably a few more. I also wouldn't mind some JJTrek, but that's apparently a bit of a sore subject.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Darksaber posted:

Have there been any mentions of some of the expanded universe stuff? An Aventine/Vesta would probably get me to pick up at least that model, and probably a few more. I also wouldn't mind some JJTrek, but that's apparently a bit of a sore subject.

So far everything released is something with at least a little bit of screentime in the films or TV show, and unfortunately that one doesn't seem to be in the immediate pipe, since they seem to be re-using Star Trek Tactics molds and it doesn't appear there either.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Nov 5, 2013

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Otisburg posted:

The EM Pulse is pretty okay, and the antiproton scanner is a start against the supremecy of Star Cloak: Cloak Wing, which doubly fucks you as a Dominion guy with no in-faction access to Cloak.

I like the kraxon in theory since it hits harder at base than the breen cruiser, and that firing arc is handy too. I did my first op on Saturday, ran pure dominion ( I didn't realize the cross faction penalty was only one). I got messed up pretty bad, my plan was to have the galor stand off at range, but I didn't know what the scenario was ahead of time, so that sucked.

I sort of had no idea what I was doing

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Alright, I'm all set to buy the following on Thursday:

Gor Portas
Kraxon
5th Wing Patrol x2

What are the good out-of-faction things to consider for Dominion?

EDIT: I've got a sort of urge to do some experimental jazz and make a whole fleet of 5th Wing Patrol ships. What's gonna happen to me?

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Nov 6, 2013

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

What are the good out-of-faction things to consider for Dominion?

The Enterprise expansion is probably everyone's best bang for the buck because Sulu, the elite talents (you actually don't have a single captain to use them with yet, but Gul Dukat might be your Great Gray Hope) and the crew in general. McCoy in particular has a good synergy with Weyoun. And Suicide Attack + Cheat Death with Kirk is somewhat hilarious.

Pretty much everything might have one or two upgrades that interest you, but far and away the Enterprise is the first choice. Cloaked Mines from the Romulan Praetus expansion are rightly getting a lot of attention for competitive play, but that's about the only worthwhile thing in the whole pack.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

EDIT: I've got a sort of urge to do some experimental jazz and make a whole fleet of 5th Wing Patrol ships. What's gonna happen to me?

This is not only thematic, but the best in-faction ship spam option the Dominion has. It's fairly robust for the points, has a good maneuver profile, and the tech/weapon upgrades and Jem'Hadar crew options are all fairly solid. Space 9/11 all day erry day.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Nov 6, 2013

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

New Preview for the next wave is up: The IKS Koraga/K'Vort Class Bird of Prey.

http://wizkidsgames.com/blog/2013/11/06/star-trek-attack-wing-wave-2-preview-the-i-k-s-koraga/

So, the stats make it basically a sturdier B'rel that can hold an extra crew. The unique ship text is good, since with the included AWS you can be cloaked a lot of the time. It includes probably my favorite variety of Photons for some added punch.
It's going to include another AWS, which is nice for people who want to run multiples without shelling out for additional starters. I'm curious if the mentioned EM pulse is the Ferengi type or the Cardassian type. I think the former is flat-out better.

Captain Worf is pretty okay. A 3 point skill 5 captain with a modest offensive buff. Not much to like or dislike, but he's not like ZOMG AMAZING. Suprised he's not "dual faction." Worf is now represented thrice over in Attack Wing.

Kurn looks decent. Stack more attack dice all day erry day when you're a Klingon, right? N'Garen is literally another Drex, which is fine, since Drex is good and unique so having Drex on another ship is solid. Alexander is... Interesting. "Free" battlestations tokens are great, but it's pretty situational and I'd rather sensor echo and roll a bunch of defense dice and not get hit in the first place.

The preview article implies it's going to be highly maneuverable, so I'm expecting this to literally just be a giant B'rel in that respect.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

This is super helpful, even with the game being brand new.

http://trek.mywargame.com/

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Does anyone know how much the OP kits cost a store owner?

Friend of mine can't make the nights at our FLGS, so we're considering trying to get a different store to start a night, just curious how big of an investment we're trying to get the guy to buy into.

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

I think the cost is 30 bucks.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Dr. Doji Suave posted:

I think the cost is 30 bucks.

That's what my FLGS owner said, too.

I think there are also some other minimum product order requirements but if they are already stocking the game in any remotely serious way that part is a low hurdle.

It shouldn't be a hard sell, just offer to collect entry fees if need be (I do a measly three bucks per person, which makes back the cost no prob), and mention how its a driver for sales because people need multiples to pull of competative combos and poo poo.

Whitehorn
Nov 7, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

This is super helpful, even with the game being brand new.

http://trek.mywargame.com/

Thanks for the hit ;)

This game has really taken me by surprise. It's put my other gaming hobbies on the shelf for the time being.

I'm responsible for that disco-coloured mess, so if you have any requests, toss them at me.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I'm looking forward to the Excelsior preview.

I hope Captain Styles' swagger stick is an equipment upgrade.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

What are your opinions on faction mixing? It's causing a bit of a stir on the facebook page.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

What are your opinions on faction mixing? It's causing a bit of a stir on the facebook page.

I like playing thematic stuff, but I don't get all "mein rassenhygene!" about it.

I think racial purity could be an interesting one-off format, and I try to keep "thematic fleet" in mind as a fellowship criteria when I reun OP events, but I'm not super worked up about it.

I mean it's not like they never mixed things up on the show. Maybe not to the extent you can in the game, but meh.

e: It would be cool if there were a resource that did reward you for keeping it thematic, like warmachines teir lists. It would be neat if the Flagship did that.

e2: It's also pretty clear that's not an "official" page endorsed by WK but just some stabdick who likes the game but has ~opinions~.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 9, 2013

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Two of my 5th Patrol Wing ships have arrived! Just waiting on the Gor Portas now.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Two of my 5th Patrol Wing ships have arrived! Just waiting on the Gor Portas now.

Enjoy. Weyoun is the centerpiece of many a table flipper of a combo.

e: For example this Fleet of Joy I have concocted:

COMMAND TOKENS (5)

IKS Ch'Tang (22)
Martok (Negh'Var version) (5)
Counter Attack (4+1)
Barrage of Fire (5)
Cloaked Mines (4)

Negh'Var (30)
Weyoun (5)
Varel (11)
Drex (4)
Cloaked Mines (4)

Paying 11 points for Varel in the crew? With Weyoun, yes, yes I am.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Nov 12, 2013

Gropey C
Feb 26, 2004

Groping one generation at a time
Cloaked mines is such a ridiculous card, it effectively acts like a turret to just control the area. I destroyed at least one ship per game in my OP tournament by using that card.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Yeah, cloaked mines are a motherfucker. Im curious if there's anything that's going to silver-bullet them in upcoming expansions.

I'm trying to warm up to them as a counter to the supremecy of Cloak Wing, considering 3 attack dice isn't a terrible thing to eat if you're shielded, but risking those hull crits is bad news for a cloaked ship; but eh. There's just too much turtly slow-play annoyance that comes from spamming them.

With the Koronak preview up, Dukat looks to be just the captain the Dominion needed. A Picard Lite, and that's enough. I'm amused that he is strictly better than The Sisko.

Also looks like there's a tech upgrade that out-Sulu's Sulu in that expansion. All and all a much-needed boost to the the war effort of the Founders.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Ooh, awesome. It hits pretty hard. And I can cloak?! :swoon:

Gropey C
Feb 26, 2004

Groping one generation at a time
I run two cloaked mines in my fleet because they're so annoying that I can literally just create a funnel for the enemy fleet to go through.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Ooh, awesome. It hits pretty hard. And I can cloak?! :swoon:

The one thing I don't like about it is the unique ship text. In the current state of the metagame splitting up your attack dice is at best extremely corner-case situational, at worst an active system mastery "newbie trap." Stack them dice. Roll a hundred at a time, not one die a hundred times.

Though it's a developing meta, so who knows. Maybe this option will end up being the hard counter to those little fighters or whatever.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Otisburg posted:

The one thing I don't like about it is the unique ship text. In the current state of the metagame splitting up your attack dice is at best extremely corner-case situational, at worst an active system mastery "newbie trap." Stack them dice. Roll a hundred at a time, not one die a hundred times.

Though it's a developing meta, so who knows. Maybe this option will end up being the hard counter to those little fighters or whatever.

What can you dump on it right now to boost its attack dice?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

What can you dump on it right now to boost its attack dice?

In faction? Nothin'. That one option on the Command Token resource? But it has some good dice-quality options included with free battle stations.

Out of faction, you could take the "All Forward Disruptor Banks" elite talent, Scotty, Donotra/eMartok, throw Barrage of Fire on another ship and have it support that ship...

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
http://wizkidsgames.com/blog/2013/11/14/star-trek-attack-wing-organized-play-admirals-orders/

More resources.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Andrew Park is doing a good job being responsive to the community with poo poo like that. Some people on BGG are even bitching that he's being too reactive but eh. I think stuff like this is cool.

I think it's neat that it's not a complete straightjacket and you can run multiple factions so long as the crews match up, so you can do perfectly thematic stuff like Sisko and Martok fighting side by side to share a bottle of bloodwine when they [achieve objective$].

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Hmm hmm hmm. Strike Forrrrrrce!

Strike Force 5pts

Koranak (26pts)
@Gul Dukat (5pts)
-Capture Intelligence (3pts)
%Long Range Tachyon Scan (2pts)
%Antiproton Scan (4pts)
^Breen Aide (3pts)
=48pts

Gor Portas (26pts)
@Captain Jean-Luc Picard (of the USS Enterprise) (7pts)
-Sabotage (4pts)
*Photon Torpedos [Federation] (6pts)
*Energy Dissipator (5pts)
^Boheeka (2pts)
=50pts

Hey, I am dumb and forgot to pay for Strike Force!

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Hmm hmm hmm. Strike Forrrrrrce!

Koranak (26pts)
@Gul Dukat (5pts)
-Capture Intelligence (3pts)
%Long Range Tachyon Scan (2pts)
%Antiproton Scan (4pts)
*Enhanced Weaponry (5pts)
^Breen Aide (3pts)
=48pts

Gor Portas (26pts)
@Captain Jean-Luc Picard (of the USS Enterprise) (6pts)
-Sabotage (4pts)
*Photon Torpedos [Federation] (6pts)
*Energy Dissipator (5pts)
^Boheeka (2pts)
=49pts

Why fed photons? Energy dissipator followed by a dominion torpedo salvo amused me greatly

• Locked thread