Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Viscardus posted:

Sorry about the posting delay. My exams are starting and things are a bit hectic. I'll post something today, though.

While I'm here, can anyone give me a quick explanation of the whole subvocal communication thing?

If you have a subvocal add-on for your commlink, you can speak under your breath and send the message to teammates, the Johnson, etc.
It's super cheap, like 50 Nuyen, and super handy. It's not SILENT (so someone standing right over your hiding place will hear mumbling), but if you're the face telling the team to move in while the contact is pouring you a drink, it's super valuable.

Or, say, you're an invisible magician. It's really useful to keep communications open, as a whisper might be written off as "hearing things".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

Classtoise posted:

If you have a subvocal add-on for your commlink, you can speak under your breath and send the message to teammates, the Johnson, etc.
It's super cheap, like 50 Nuyen, and super handy. It's not SILENT (so someone standing right over your hiding place will hear mumbling), but if you're the face telling the team to move in while the contact is pouring you a drink, it's super valuable.

Or, say, you're an invisible magician. It's really useful to keep communications open, as a whisper might be written off as "hearing things".

Huh. I guess I should probably have bought that for Elena, then. I suppose it wouldn't be a big deal to retcon a purchase that minor, would it?

Thanks for the explanation.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Actually vocalizing thing is for suckers who don't have full DNI B)

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

EDIT: Oh I'm sorry I couldn't hear you over the sound of the huge loving fireball I just threw at a ganger :smugbert:

Its' availability is 4 (no R or F), so really you might just need to stop by Radioshack, drop 75-100 Nuyen (it's gonna be extra), and you're good to go. I'm not the GM though so it's not my place to say, but No restriction generally it's not hard to find since anyone can sell them.

Again, Bible has the final word.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Easy to find just about anywhere, as far as I'm concerned.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Tomorrow morning I'll make a full summary of goods we're looking at wanting/needing. Seoul Team, if you want more, mention it!

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Quick clarification. Improved Invisibility leaves my aura intact, so Astral Perception can still see me.

Is this an ACTIVE thing? Like, do they have to TRY and see Astral? RAW seems to imply they have to TRY (hence the -2 to other tasks while astrally perceiving)

Furthermore, it's a bit foggy on the nature of (Improved) Invisibility. It says that it takes a threshold of your roll to perceive. Since I rolled a 6, does that mean that they need a 6 to go "Wait, someone is there?" and then ANOTHER 6 to astrally perceive me? It doesn't seem to make any distinctions to astral perception vs physical sight, but it goes to great lengths to explain it earlier.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Classtoise posted:

Quick clarification. Improved Invisibility leaves my aura intact, so Astral Perception can still see me.

Is this an ACTIVE thing? Like, do they have to TRY and see Astral? RAW seems to imply they have to TRY (hence the -2 to other tasks while astrally perceiving)

Furthermore, it's a bit foggy on the nature of (Improved) Invisibility. It says that it takes a threshold of your roll to perceive. Since I rolled a 6, does that mean that they need a 6 to go "Wait, someone is there?" and then ANOTHER 6 to astrally perceive me? It doesn't seem to make any distinctions to astral perception vs physical sight, but it goes to great lengths to explain it earlier.

I think it is supposed to be similar to finding someone running silent in the Matrix, which I guess means you are running silent in the Astral all the time. That doesn't make a lot of sense though.

I'll rule that under normal circumstance (not hiding, etc.), you are just as visible in the Astral as you would be in the material plane. You can hide with sneak checks, and I'll even give you the option of being able to choose which "self" is invisible, ie. you can choose to be materially invisible, and have to rely on sneaking in the astral, or astrally invisible, and have to rely on sneaking in the material.

Also, everybody, both games are really slow atm, but it is Christmas time, so just keep an eye on them and post when you can.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

THANKS FOR MAKING ME SPEND MONEY, T

The Bible posted:

I think it is supposed to be similar to finding someone running silent in the Matrix, which I guess means you are running silent in the Astral all the time. That doesn't make a lot of sense though.

I'll rule that under normal circumstance (not hiding, etc.), you are just as visible in the Astral as you would be in the material plane. You can hide with sneak checks, and I'll even give you the option of being able to choose which "self" is invisible, ie. you can choose to be materially invisible, and have to rely on sneaking in the astral, or astrally invisible, and have to rely on sneaking in the material.

Also, everybody, both games are really slow atm, but it is Christmas time, so just keep an eye on them and post when you can.

RAW Improved Invisibility works more like a chameleon suit in that it makes you harder to see to living things and technological means, and the only way to hide in astral space is through the masking metamagic or be behind a ward or underground, since the Gaiasphere is dual-natured.

Just a heads up.

Doc Dee fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Dec 7, 2013

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Doc Dee posted:

RAW Improved Invisibility works more like a chameleon suit in that it makes you harder to see to living things and technological means, and the only way to hide in astral space is through the masking metamagic or be behind a ward or underground, since the Gaiasphere is dual-natured.

Just a heads up.

Oh, ok then, we'll go with this.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Doc Dee posted:

Just a heads up.

My next question, I guess, is more is Astral Perception default? Like, can someone just "see" my aura without trying? The book makes it seem like it's not "always on", what with the -2.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

Auras always stand out in the Astral plane, I should have been more specific with what I meant by "hiding." Outside of being behind a ward that isn't owned by whoever's trying to perceive you or being underground, you can't really hide in the Astral plane. An Astral Perception test is more to notice details about that specific aura, and the masking metamagic makes your aura appear to have a higher or lower Magic rating, or even to look mundane.

Also, keep in mind that metahumans aren't ALWAYS astrally perceiving, unless they're dual-natured. That's where the -2 comes in.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

Is Viscardus still with us?

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.
I am. Like I said before, I have exams right now and I really don't have much time to post unless it's just something fast and simple - and I didn't think there was much for me to say at the moment anyway. Elena is waiting for everyone to be done their tech/magic/whatever.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

Viscardus posted:

I am. Like I said before, I have exams right now and I really don't have much time to post unless it's just something fast and simple - and I didn't think there was much for me to say at the moment anyway. Elena is waiting for everyone to be done their tech/magic/whatever.

Are you sneaking with Jyodi and Kasumi or going in the front door with Matt and Midnight?

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

I think the problem is we're also waiting for the results of the Perception check.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Doc Dee posted:

Are you sneaking with Jyodi and Kasumi or going in the front door with Matt and Midnight?

Oh, sorry. My intention was to sneak in with Jyodi and Kasumi.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I apologize in advance if things get...messy.

Four spiders means we're certainly going to have our work cut out for us.

Just to go over it again, CURRENT PLAN AS I UNDERSTAND IT:

TEAM A: Front door

TEAM B: Sewers

Team A walks right in like a boss like they own the place (also they have an appointment) and sits down. Rigged Deck pretends to nap AKA HOTSIM VR and starts building up his marks. Team B I THINK comes in from the sewer, carrying all our actual gear. Rigged Deck, marks in place, "wakes up" and edits the cameras into a loop and starts the fake distraction on let's say floor 12. Floor 13 guards are "called" and asked for reinforcements. Team B takes the elevator up to Team A, where Team A joins them, and we go to floor 13. At this point one of two things happen

1) We are successful in bein' all sneaky

2) poo poo.

1) Cameras having been pre-edited into loops shouldn't bother us. We jam the drones or find some means to stealthily get rid of them, go to I assume the IT office, take out the processor, have a merry jaunt to the offices, take the Go board, open a window, and rappel down. lovely Cass is had, we lie low for a bit just to play it safe, collect our cash.

2) WE hosed UP. Maybe the guards didn't buy it. Maybe Rigged got caught. Either way, we arrive at floor 13 guns blazing. We shoot every guard in our way (non-lethally, of course! Well, maybe), take down the drones, Rigged bricks the elevator if possible, we get that processor, hope we don't have to use our anti-air, inevitably have to use our anti-air, blow the window, rappel down as best as we can, hop the wall, and lie as low as humanly possible while praying our SINs don't get burned and mending our awful gaping wounds and lead poisoning.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Forgoing any changes to this, I'm ready to start next scene of us beginning the run.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Sounds perfect to me.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
You forgot 3.

3) Run through a smoke filled sewer stabbing dudes in the chest.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Ready when you guys are. If we don't hear from ltr, we'll have to assume he didn't show for whatever reason.

Just give me a time of day when you show up and I'll kick things off.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

Are we in dim light or partial light? If it was dim light I'd be rolling 5d6, which would have a -3 reduced to -1 for using thermographic vision, and a +2 for looking for something that would probably stand out in thermographic vision. If it was partial light, I'd be rolling 6d6.

Also, would I also take +3 for specifically looking for whatever's in the shadows even if I don't know exactly what's over there?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Doc Dee posted:

Are we in dim light or partial light? If it was dim light I'd be rolling 5d6, which would have a -3 reduced to -1 for using thermographic vision, and a +2 for looking for something that would probably stand out in thermographic vision. If it was partial light, I'd be rolling 6d6.

Dim.

quote:

Also, would I also take +3 for specifically looking for whatever's in the shadows even if I don't know exactly what's over there?

I'm going to say yes. You are aware that something is there. Not knowing the species isn't going to make you any less aware of moving silhouettes.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

Would I be able to use my gecko gloves to climb up, then hang upside down right at the top of the wall and help others climb up? They do come with knee pads and slip-on soles, and from what I understand they can hold the weight of a troll upside down hanging from the ceiling.

Even if it's me making a Teamwork Test roll taking a -2, would that work for getting Jyodi and Elena on the roof?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Doc Dee posted:

Would I be able to use my gecko gloves to climb up, then hang upside down right at the top of the wall and help others climb up? They do come with knee pads and slip-on soles, and from what I understand they can hold the weight of a troll upside down hanging from the ceiling.

Even if it's me making a Teamwork Test roll taking a -2, would that work for getting Jyodi and Elena on the roof?

I'd have them make a teamwork climbing check, but you're not falling off unless God wants you to. If you don't want to attract attention from the doggies, you might consider a stealth check while you're at it.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Maybe this should be obvious, but what modifiers do we have for the climbing check? -3 for the nature of the wall and +2 for being assisted?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Viscardus posted:

Maybe this should be obvious, but what modifiers do we have for the climbing check? -3 for the nature of the wall and +2 for being assisted?

Let's just leave it at that, no need to complicate it outside of combat.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

Well, that went about as well as expected. :v:

If Midnight and Matt want to join Team Sneak, the elven ladder is still in place. Or we could just start Team Pincer Attack. :black101:

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Doc Dee posted:

Well, that went about as well as expected. :v:

If Midnight and Matt want to join Team Sneak, the elven ladder is still in place. Or we could just start Team Pincer Attack. :black101:

Actually, a Pincer attack might be kinda fun, if not for the damned hell hounds.

Otherwise I'm all for crashing in and just being team "gently caress stealth, hurl fire"

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

Classtoise posted:

Actually, a Pincer attack might be kinda fun, if not for the damned hell hounds.

Otherwise I'm all for crashing in and just being team "gently caress stealth, hurl fire"

Exactly. Bust through the doors, fight metahumans, then dip out running from dogs/kicking dogs in half.

We just gotta know exactly where all the people are, would that be something that I would already know based on my previous Perception check or would I have to make another one?

Also, we would have to know IC that OPERATION: SMOOTH TALK was a no-go.

After all, the hellhounds WOULD need a handler. Chances are if we went SMASH N GRAB we'd geek him and the dogs either wouldn't know to attack us or they wouldn't know NOT to attack us on their turf, and hopefully they would be trained well enough to know their boundaries, to avoid unnecessary murders of innocents and drawing attention etc.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Anyone with thermo vision can see three people in the chapel area. The area behind it is somehow shielded, though.

Also, the hounds totally heard operation smooth talk and haven't reacted yet.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Doc Dee posted:

Exactly. Bust through the doors, fight metahumans, then dip out running from dogs/kicking dogs in half.

We just gotta know exactly where all the people are, would that be something that I would already know based on my previous Perception check or would I have to make another one?

Also, we would have to know IC that OPERATION: SMOOTH TALK was a no-go.

After all, the hellhounds WOULD need a handler. Chances are if we went SMASH N GRAB we'd geek him and the dogs either wouldn't know to attack us or they wouldn't know NOT to attack us on their turf, and hopefully they would be trained well enough to know their boundaries, to avoid unnecessary murders of innocents and drawing attention etc.

Or they aren't trained to stay on their property, go nuts, murder some dudes, and whoever the Korean equivalent of LSS starts asking the church a lot of questions for why their guard para-animal wasn't properly fenced in!

Win/win!

Well, except for whoever gets mauled by a hellhound.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

Gonna get the "drop" on one of them. :ninja:

Just gotta know what kind of fall damage modifiers I would be looking at, since it looks like I'm gonna be rolling 15 unopposed dice to hit. Would I use Free-Fall at all, or would I just resist with BOD+Armor-4?

Either way, still gonna do it.

Doc Dee fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 21, 2013

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Doc Dee posted:

Gonna get the "drop" on one of them. :ninja:

Just gotta know what kind of fall damage modifiers I would be looking at, since it looks like I'm gonna be rolling 15 unopposed dice to hit. Would I use Free-Fall at all, or would I just resist with BOD+Armor-4?

Either way, still gonna do it.

Its not that far a drop. Give me three hits on a gymnastics check and you can avoid the fall damage entirely.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

And here we go!

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

Would there be any modifiers for landing on the monk sword-first, or would it just be a regular attack roll?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Doc Dee posted:

Would there be any modifiers for landing on the monk sword-first, or would it just be a regular attack roll?

You'll need to get above him first. Do you plan on smashing through the ceiling or are you going in through a window? None of them have come outside.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Might as well take now to explain how we'll do combat, since one group is already in it, and the other is potentially very close.

To keep things moving at a good pace, if we don't hear from someone for at least half a day, I'll take action for them on their initiative turn. If you'll be awhile, let me know what your guy will generally be doing during a fight so I have a good idea of what to do with him/her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
For any who care, I made a big ol' post on Hosts recently in the Shadowrun thread, and now a sorta supplement for it.

Here

And here

• Locked thread