Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003

Going on a pigperch is my only unfulfilled desire in gaming, an infinite gold source is the ultimate economic trump card, someone just needs to automate this through some invention. Maybe an undead graveyard and a necromancer with raise dead on autocast, where the ranged skeleton triggers the spirit pigs but isnt strong enough to hurt the medicine man...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

"The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely owl like."

SirDrone posted:

No mention of Metastasis, Fellowship Quest, DBZ Tribute and Jurassic Park Survival is a crime against nature.:colbert:

I mentioned DBZ Tribute and would love to get a game going. Anyone up for some games soon? We need to make a game night.

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

I adored the Risk maps, i spent so many hours on those lovely loving maps. War3 is amazing though, down to play it.

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

My friends and I still meet a few times a month and dedicate a night to Warcraft 3 maps. We load up the Risk maps (used to just be the classic Europe one, but have since moved on to the World of Warcraft Risk because its loving massive in scale, options and races) and easily spend 4+ hours slugging it out, excessive poo poo-talking and grudge-holding a requirement.

I would be down to join in on any games goons organise, would be awesome if this became a regular thing.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

SirDrone posted:

No mention of Metastasis, Fellowship Quest, DBZ Tribute and Jurassic Park Survival is a crime against nature.:colbert:

In retrospect I guess I was part of the core Parasite 2 scene. I knew DarkShoGun and whatnot, man I loved that game. :v:

I liked Metastasis more in earlier builds when it was less like Parasite 2, though.

Speaking of JPS, I had one friend who was really into it. He also LOVED SWAT: Aftermath. That could be another good game on it's own.

Lacklustre Hero posted:

My friends and I still meet a few times a month and dedicate a night to Warcraft 3 maps. We load up the Risk maps (used to just be the classic Europe one, but have since moved on to the World of Warcraft Risk because its loving massive in scale, options and races) and easily spend 4+ hours slugging it out, excessive poo poo-talking and grudge-holding a requirement.

I would be down to join in on any games goons organise, would be awesome if this became a regular thing.

I still talk to the people in my old friday Warcraft group. We quit it like 3 years ago but I'll see if people want to play again. Could be fun. :toot:

Muscular Typist
Oct 11, 2004

Fiskiggy posted:

As a respected member of the Clan TOWA "Broliance" gaming collective I'm proud to say we're still breaking new ground in this game, albeit slowly. Most recently we've found a way to get around the resource limitations you run in to if a game lasts long enough (and ours do). It's easy to get all the lumber you want by throwing a wisp at a tree and it'll harvest until the end of time. But what about gold? Once all the gold mines have run dry you can sell items, trade with allies, pillage from opponents, but you're still only moving a limited supply of gold back and forth. Our recent discovery, a variation on the classic unit prison technique, is a different story altogether!

Just when I thought you guys couldn't top the Bifocal Double Reverse Gilderbase.

Lead By Example
Jul 17, 2009

I buy and resell Pokemon cards for a living. If you're ever looking to sell your childhood, please reach out!
Fallen Rib
That's... absolutely brilliant. Props!

Blinn
Mar 24, 2005

Ah, the ol' pigsnatch. This just goes to show that Clan Towa R&D is just as active and insightful as ever. Good work, Igmund.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

sat. posted:

Just when I thought you guys couldn't top the Bifocal Double Reverse Gilderbase.

Wait what's that?

Also we'll probably have an organized game night by McSlaughter as soon as our round of hvz ends.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet
Is Blademaster still the most overpowered hero in the game? :smugbert:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Stay Out of FYAD posted:

Is Blademaster still the most overpowered hero in the game? :smugbert:

Against bots? No doubt. :c00l:

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Wait what's that?

http://rurouni321.blog.shinobi.jp/%E3%81%86%E3%81%89%E3%81%8F%E3%82%89%E3%81%AB%E3%81%A3%E3%81%8D/blfocal%20reverse%20gilderbase

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Man, I never knew customs where so big. Back when I played WC3 with my friends, we usually only did regular multiplayer for hours, then some started playing DOTA and TD and the others - me included - dropped out and went back to other games (mostly CS and AoE2). Reading this thread has made me reinstall the game and I'm ready to rediscover what was once on my favourite computer games. :D

Altran
Mar 20, 2013

Datasmurf posted:

Man, I never knew customs where so big. Back when I played WC3 with my friends, we usually only did regular multiplayer for hours, then some started playing DOTA and TD and the others - me included - dropped out and went back to other games (mostly CS and AoE2). Reading this thread has made me reinstall the game and I'm ready to rediscover what was once on my favourite computer games. :D

I got the same feeling, I used to play lots of footman, when played with 2 friends, they are much more fun than dota, unfortunately the balancing issues killed it.

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

Had a Warcraft 3 night just then, we really need to find a time and get some goon games going

McSlaughter
Sep 12, 2013

"Kill white people and get paid for it? What's not to like?"
Most of my nights have been busy but tonight I am free, so BasqueGuy and I are about to start playing. If anyone sees this you're welcome to join. Log onto The Frozen Throne (US East) and join channel Goon. If no one is there, message McSlaughter or FireBlaze (ThatBasqueGuy) on Battle.net or on the Custom Gaming Goons Steam group. We'll probably be playing for a few hours, once I get my router configured to host.

As always if you have any games to suggest, let us know. I'll actually prepare a real game night for next weekend, and will post details about that either later tonight or tomorrow.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I bought the games again because of this thread and the fact that they were half off.

Muscular Typist
Oct 11, 2004

SirSamVimes posted:

I bought the games again because of this thread and the fact that they were half off.

Aw man, I went to see if Warcraft II BNE was on sale but it isn't. Really want to play through that again.

L. Ron Mexico
May 14, 2005

been watching some warcraft streams, and they're pretty fun, but man.... moon losing a won game to th000 in game seven of a 1000$ tournament final by getting too cocky and losing his zeppelin loaded with DH, naga and dryads over the forest instead of just tp'ing. ugly, ugly -but pretty funny- finish

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
Does anyone remember Heroes and Empires? That was far and away my favorite custom map. It was like a mix of Majesty and Civilization, with players choosing to take on the role of a hero--a single unit with a max level of 999, the ability to equip items and distribute stats in a custom manner, and single handedly take on armies and bosses--or an empire--a Civilization style progression of building and research from the stone age of clubs and spears into the distant future of cold fusion reactors, black hole generator superweapons, and tesla coils. Games would typically last anywhere between 45 minutes to 3 hours and would involve a lot of ruthless backstabbing, hasty diplomacy, and cold war-esque arms buildup.

Heroes had a fixed amount of lives which they would lose upon each death, with permanent defeat resulting should they die with none left. Empire players could "hire" hero players and pay them a valuable currency that was quite difficult for them to obtain otherwise; this currency could be used to buy additional lives.

Empire players had to worry about taxation, food supplies, citizen happiness, and population growth. In order to afford scientific advancement, they had to balance taxation with happiness whilst increasing population, which was constrained by food. If happiness fell too low due to pollution or high taxes, citizens would stop working or revolt which could have catastrophic consequences once military units started doing it. If population rose faster than food was being produced, food stocks would quickly deplete and starvation would set in, greatly reducing happiness and population. Playing an empire was generally considered much, much harder than playing a hero, but it was far more rewarding.

It was unique among customs in that while the hero players got their generally accepted overpowering force in the beginning and middle of the game, by the end of the game individual units built by the empire players far surpassed what any hero could hope to accomplish. While a hero could level an empire player's base with ease for most of the game, once the empires reached WW2 era tech things like miniguns and bombers and tanks would quickly begin to pose a serious threat to hero characters. This sort of transfer of power meant that every game developed in such a way that hero players would often hold empires ransom in the early game, then rapidly and often unexpectedly lose control of them or suffer a terrible vengeance once things like stealth bombers or plasma snipers began running around hunting for them.

If you want to try it the map is here, though be warned it takes some learning the first time around and I'd recommend playing as a hero first if you've never tried it. I'd love to play with other people as an empire--generally if you're playing in games with pubs, you want to have a close friend playing an hero so you have someone to defend you from assholes trying to take advantage of your vulnerability while you're still building up.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Haha I loved that game. Never really saw it be that competitive though, the constant threat from the never-ending dark hordes (which would easily level the unprepared) saw most games be coop, with maybe some last minute backstabs just cuz

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

Heroes and Empires was awesome, I just got stomped by that evil army all the time. If you didn't take out their pylons and equipment camps they would get overpowered fast

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
Empire units were great at taking out Kalenden's encampments and obelisks. Structures had a buff that reduced all hero damage to 3, which meant either multiple heroes with fast attack speed had to work together to destroy them or an empire would need to dispatch a small group of troops to tear them down quickly.

SierraNovember
Nov 3, 2011
DON'T YOU FUCKING DARE TELL ME THAT YOU'RE A WOMEN OR GAY. I'M SO TIRED OF PEOPLE TELLING ME THAT THAT I KEEP BREAKING MY FUCKING KEYBOARD. GOD JUST READING THAT MAKES ME WANT TO BASH IT IN UNTIL EVERYTHING IS COVERED WITH BLOOD, FLESH, AND BONE AAAARGHAARHGHGHAHRHHFFF
I remember something similar called Life of a Peasant where all the kids would rush to be some a Drug Lord. Still to this day I have no loving idea what you were supposed to go, except it always ended between God and Satan having some Arch-Mage vs Demon Lord war.

fignewton
Dec 28, 2012
Way too much time was spent on this game. I don't think I ever played a ranked normal match, only custom games. Would love to play some Footmen or Battleships or anything, but need another copy.

Shade2142
Oct 10, 2012

Rollin'

SierraNovember posted:

I remember something similar called Life of a Peasant where all the kids would rush to be some a Drug Lord. Still to this day I have no loving idea what you were supposed to go, except it always ended between God and Satan having some Arch-Mage vs Demon Lord war.

The vanilla version was fun. All the kids rushed to be the mayor for that sweet passive income. Drug lord is cool, but he can get camped once someone else is stronger than his units. Cops are also a great way to grief pubbies with the steam tank(paddy wagon?); just consume players and trap them in jail.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Shade2142 posted:

The vanilla version was fun. All the kids rushed to be the mayor for that sweet passive income. Drug lord is cool, but he can get camped once someone else is stronger than his units. Cops are also a great way to grief pubbies with the steam tank(paddy wagon?); just consume players and trap them in jail.

And that doesn't even get into the theme games with crazy op poo poo and the schemes to overthrow them

Muscular Typist
Oct 11, 2004

SierraNovember posted:

That game was really weird. I was some kid going to school and then on the way home a level 9000 ninja would come out of nowhere and kill me.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I'm still really disappointed no one's made a standalone Enfos-style game. I think it'd be great fun with some mechanics updates and a general increase of gameplay speed (so that it doesn't take, like, an hour and a half to complete one game).

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Elimination Tournament was awesome. Topdown shooter in Warcraft 3, why the heck not!

sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

Vermain posted:

I'm still really disappointed no one's made a standalone Enfos-style game. I think it'd be great fun with some mechanics updates and a general increase of gameplay speed (so that it doesn't take, like, an hour and a half to complete one game).

I loved Enfos so much, so much of my youth was wasted enriched LANing that with my friends. I'm still disappointed there isn't some kind of iteration of it for SC2 :smith:

six in a row
Feb 2, 2007
One time I got my kicks with Joe...
Ah yes, wc3 ladder...

For those of you who aren't really aware of what tower is all about, here is a mini tower review written by a fellow goon and tower mason:
http://www.battlereports.com/users/Stacker/highperch/highperch.html

It has a pretty cool, albeit abridged, play by play of a "normal" highperch game. Of course towa has evolved much since this writing, but it gives a pretty basic idea of what goes down while iggy does his experiments on pigs.

On another note, I have a question for the Towa Alumni (BEARAND I'm lookin at you): Does anyone ever know what happened to our friend JOHN MATHESON? Or is he on his way to becoming nothing more than mere myth&legend?

theultimo posted:

I still haven't beaten skibi td :/. My fav td ever.

Skibi TD was always my favorite. I got pretty confident with basically all the races except military...the real key was playing against noobs so you could make mad cash off them in the early minigames (the collect the coin ones are key, make sure you use shift-click to not waste time standing still).

six in a row fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Dec 19, 2013

Lead By Example
Jul 17, 2009

I buy and resell Pokemon cards for a living. If you're ever looking to sell your childhood, please reach out!
Fallen Rib
Wow, towa. I haven't read that name in forever. I used to play with you guys some, a really long time ago. I actually became a goon because of it.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

six in a row posted:

On another note, I have a question for the Towa Alumni (BEARAND I'm lookin at you): Does anyone ever know what happened to our friend JOHN MATHESON? Or is he on his way to becoming nothing more than mere myth&legend?

Did he actually play Warcraft 3 on a piss stained mattress or does my memory just want me to believe I saw a pic of that. I think at this point JOHN MATHESON is merely a fable and a cautionary tale.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
No MooMoo, the greatest mod ever, voted 1. :colbert:

MooMoo is a hero defense game where you defend a giant cairne bloodhoof from massive waves of enemies and find secrets to defeat the final enemy to your cow friend. It's alright solo but it was a ton of fun with my old wow friends when we got bored of playing ARAM in dota.

Smugdog Millionaire
Sep 14, 2002

8) Blame Icefrog
Before we go crowning 'greatest war3 map ever', let's not forget Kodo Mountain, where you help Stampy Kodo rescue the kodo kubs from kodo poachers.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

The best game, objectively, is Jesuscraft ORPG. Prove me wrong.

ActionJacksonATL
Nov 9, 2006

I've been playing FFA maps with some ugri-host auto-host bot guy, only reason I keep playing the game. One of the guys, Normalice, created maps with random heros so that everything is "normal" except when you build your hero from the altar it's completely random, and you can even get 2 of the same (I got 2 Naga once and that blew donkey balls).

Anyway FFA is fun for me even though I almost always lose. Look me up as ActionJackson if you ever want to play a fun FFA game.

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

Best map was probs Dark Deeds no matter how bad I was at it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Lacklustre Hero posted:

Best map was probs Dark Deeds no matter how bad I was at it

Dark Deeds was fun but the wraith minions were super glitchy and Witch Doctor's omniscience ability was kinda op.

Cult Lord was the funnest to play.