Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet
My favorite custom maps had to be footmen frenzy and sheep tag. I never enjoyed DOTA at all for some reason, whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppiehaus
Sep 13, 2010

Devout Christian posted:

My favorite custom maps had to be footmen frenzy and sheep tag. I never enjoyed DOTA at all for some reason, whatever.

Footmen Frenzy was the poo poo. I have so many good memories playing that custom all afternoon when I'd come home from school :) I was really disappointed they never made an adequate port for it in SC2 before I quit playing that game.

battle
Dec 20, 2013

i still remeber the TD maps in WC3, god i spent alot of hours on those with some of my mates lol.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

guppiehaus posted:

Footmen Frenzy was the poo poo. I have so many good memories playing that custom all afternoon when I'd come home from school :) I was really disappointed they never made an adequate port for it in SC2 before I quit playing that game.

Zealot Frenzy had potential and came close--but the map maker was pretty arrogant with no real feel for balance and had an internet meltdown. Really though, Footman Frenzy was neat but had a huge amount of flaws (i.e. waiting around for a zillion hours because no one wanted to be the first in/waiting for scepter of shockwave) too.

I was working on an Enfo's TS remake for SC2--I got pretty far with over 200+ hrs put into developing it, but I was dealing a lot with custom models because SC2 really just lacks a lot of melee units/thematic units but one of the patches ended up breaking a lot of them so I gave up :effort: to work on Squad TD.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

SC2 really lacks decent models for anything, WC3 must have like four times the amount.

Iringahn
Oct 31, 2011
Did anyone else play Farmers vs the Hunters? It was like 2v8 (or whatever the max player count was) the 2 were the Hunters, who were powerful and had to kill all the farmers. The farmers could break trees and typically the best spot to hide was to hollow out a forest, as farmers were basically builder units who could build farms and such to get more gold. Eventually they could use the gold to hire powerful units to hunt down the hunters.

Basically the Hunters had to kill the farmers before they got too strong and turned the tables. Very interesting game for me at least.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I just went and re-bought this game when I saw this thread, I'd love to play some of those old custom games again. I have especially fond memories of DBZ Tribute (Even though 90% of it was grinding monsters) and Civilization Wars. Oh, and also the LOTR maps, though I think I only managed to get people to play through the whole thing once.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 24, 2013

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Defghanistan posted:

So you can't load WC3 on OSX Mountain Lion

awesome

Time to boot camp I guess?

Aww, that sucks. :woz:
System 10.9 Mavericks killed UT2K4 as well. It just keeps getting worse.

Blinn
Mar 24, 2005

Merry Christmas everyone & a happy new year. We just got a few 4s games for the first time in months!

Here's one on our favourite map - ƒriends:
http://highper.ch/?id=they%20try%20to%20eurovision%20on%20friends

It was wery fun.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I had so much fun playing Uther Party with friends when we got bored of laddering or just wanted to mess around. Speaking of ladder, does anyone still play the regular ladder these days?! I have fond memories of playing ladder and watching all the pro players. I guess WC3 was really the prototype for the big e-sports scene in the west these days. It's the first game I remember where top players became e-celebrities in the west.

Thunder Sheep
Apr 3, 2009

Me and my buddy used to spend Sundays playing Warcraft 3 customs. Rabbits vs Sheep and Castle Fight were both good maps we played a lot.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

sirtommygunn posted:

I just went and re-bought this game when I saw this thread, I'd love to play some of those old custom games again. I have especially fond memories of DBZ Tribute (Even though 90% of it was grinding monsters) and Civilization Wars. Oh, and also the LOTR maps, though I think I only managed to get people to play through the whole thing once.

When I get back from the holidays, if there's enough people interested, I'd play the poo poo out of the lotr maps.

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

It's time we got our poo poo together and organised some games

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

I haven't played wc3 at all in forever but its still my favorite RTS of all time and I would be willing to let goons stomp on me a few hundred times/do high perch tom foolery if people still actually play on ladder.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Decided to reinstall WC3:TFT and play the Orc Campaign again. It's so good.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
It's amazing that I can search solo queue games and get matched up within 30 seconds a full ten years after the originals release. It's a testament to the greatness of the game that it's still more fun to go onto old BNet and play WC3 than it is to play SC2. I really hope that WC4 comes out one day.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Lacklustre Hero posted:

It's time we got our poo poo together and organised some games

That'd be great, we should probably put in some suggestions for times though. Let's start basic, is there any day of the week that most of you would prefer?

I'll be available at just about any time for the next few weeks.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

sirtommygunn posted:

That'd be great, we should probably put in some suggestions for times though. Let's start basic, is there any day of the week that most of you would prefer?

I'm down for whatever, and most likely whenever depending on the notice given.

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

sirtommygunn posted:

University holidays gives me pretty good availability

McSlaughter
Sep 12, 2013

"Kill white people and get paid for it? What's not to like?"
How about this Thursday or Friday at 8pm EST or so? Thursday for people who don't have work the next day, I don't know who has the rest of the week off for New Year's.

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

Maybe post an announcement through the Steam group

McSlaughter
Sep 12, 2013

Lacklustre Hero posted:

Maybe post an announcement through the Steam group

I was going to earlier but Steam was down, I'll do it now. I'll go ahead and make an event and an announcement for Friday night at 8pm EST. That way everyone can have a good heads-up. I finally got my ports forwarded so I will be able to host, if anyone has any games just post them either here or in the Steam group. I'll go back and look at what games people have been talking about, and I'll update the event with a tentative list of some games we'll play.

McSlaughter
Sep 12, 2013

Alright guys, if you missed the announcement, our first custom game night is tonight. We'll be starting around 8pm EST, so log onto The Frozen Throne Azeroth (US East) and join channel Goon. Once we've gotten enough people, we'll get started with whatever. Mumble info is in the Stema group information, so make sure to get in there so you can hear us all breathing heavily into our mics.

Current rough line-up of games that may be played tonight are:
- Dark Deeds
- Parasite 2
- Uther Party
- Battle Mages
- Civilization III
- Kings and Knights
- Element TD
- Heroes and Empires
- Island Troll Tribes / Shamanism
- The Predator

This is by no means a set list and we may not even play all of these games, and/or we may play other games than the ones listed. So just show up at 8pm EST in channel Goon and get ready to custom game.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
God, I have to many fond memories of the custom maps (guess where I got my username from :v: ).
Anybody else remember (I think) Azeroth Wars? You played as one of the races of Warcraft in the storyline and there were lots of custom events. If the Orcs sailed to the other continent they'd get a base,
if you got the Book you could release the burning legion, etc. drat, so many good memories even though games took forever!

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

A good session, played a couple games over a few hours of waiting, A+ on the recreation of the Warcraft 3 custom game experience.

Seriously though it was a good time spent and I look forward to the next session.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Sorry. :ohdear:

Bbbut..My account was deleted.. Blizzard, you'll never recieve my business again..:negative:

I mean I could re-earn icons but when I left the game was full of hackers who wanted to show off their Archimonde/Illidan icons and I bet it'll still be bad now.

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

A resounding success

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
Anyway to make this work if you have OSX 10.8? Other than making a partition or using Parallels.

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
I tried playing with a friend a couple nights ago and I was surprised how quickly our games filled up over a decade after release. Guess a lot of people still play customs!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Are we going to try and do another round of War3?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I'm up for it, though I can't do it this Saturday.

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

Yeah I'd be keen again, now that the ground rules for joining/waiting were established

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I'd be up for a customs session too.

Volcano Style
May 2, 2006

THERE IS ONLY ONE
The last time I was part of a War3 customs Skypechat...well, poo poo, it's still ongoing five years later.

I wanna get back into this. Count me in. :)

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

That's a thought. We could make a Skype group to make it easier to round goons up for games.

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

There's a steam group and mumble channel we used last time

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/wc3goons

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
I bought the Battle Chest, but I don't have an optical drive. The Blizzard website won't recognize my CD Keys as valid.

My only other computer is a MAC, and I don't have anything but OSX on there as far as OS goes.

Options?

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

LLJKSiLk posted:

The Blizzard website won't recognize my CD Keys as valid.
This is the actual problem, solve it don't work around it. Make sure it's not something silly like punctuation/spaces, and then contact blizzard support if you still can't make it work.

TheLeakestWink
Feb 21, 2006
You make me cry with one eye

Blinn posted:

Merry Christmas everyone & a happy new year. We just got a few 4s games for the first time in months!

Here's one on our favourite map - ƒriends:
http://highper.ch/?id=they%20try%20to%20eurovision%20on%20friends

It was wery fun.

Wow, this brings back memories. Had no idea TOWA was still active.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?

Poil posted:

SC2 really lacks decent models for anything, WC3 must have like four times the amount.

I think the key is mostly that Warcraft 3's models are more ubiquitous. Archers, cavalry, guys with swords and axes? Those can be turned into all sorts of different units in different medieval/ancient time periods, and adapted into all sorts of fantasy universes. It's a lot harder to do that with stalkers and colossi and broodlords and many of the other sc2 units. I guess you could make a WW2 map with sc unit models, turn vikings into bombers or something.