Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
That's part of it (even if most custom maps had 50 billion different reskins of marines and arthas w/ sword), but the real thing is that wc3 has the ability to load in custom models.

Because Blizard is really mad they can't make money off dota, they own the rights to all sc2 custom maps and so they can't have models of goku or whatever in their things they want to potentially make money from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Not to mention the Starcraft 2 artstyle is boring. The Warcraft 3 models were all gigantic and cartoony and colorful but everything in Starcraft is this neon black pool of indescribable poo poo.

Zerglings are cool though.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

darealkooky posted:

That's part of it (even if most custom maps had 50 billion different reskins of marines and arthas w/ sword), but the real thing is that wc3 has the ability to load in custom models.

Because Blizard is really mad they can't make money off dota, they own the rights to all sc2 custom maps and so they can't have models of goku or whatever in their things they want to potentially make money from.

It's a little ironic how Blizzard trying to get their fingers in the UMS pie killed UMS.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Anatharon posted:

It's a little ironic how Blizzard trying to get their fingers in the UMS pie killed UMS.

If there's any major fuckup by Bliz in the last decade or so (ignoring D3 launch :v:), their handing of the custom map scene in War3 was definitely one of the worst.

It's utterly baffling to me how they didn't hire the poo poo out of the best mappers.

I mean I'm sure some custom mappers wound up working there, but still. They should have been trumpeting custom maps from the rooftops and figuring out how to monetize the best ones for creators and Bliz both. Dota ending up with Valve is hilarious. A sequel to a custom map makes no sense in any world.

Instead a handful of botters made a few thousand from RMAH deals. That really helped the community :eng99:

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles
I believe one of the guys that made a famous tower defense map got a job at Blizzard. Don't remember his name off the top of my head.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I think probably one reason they didn't hire a bunch of map makers to work on Starcraft 2 is because they put it on the backburner while the Everquest players they hired made WoW.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Eregos posted:

I think the key is mostly that Warcraft 3's models are more ubiquitous. Archers, cavalry, guys with swords and axes? Those can be turned into all sorts of different units in different medieval/ancient time periods, and adapted into all sorts of fantasy universes. It's a lot harder to do that with stalkers and colossi and broodlords and many of the other sc2 units. I guess you could make a WW2 map with sc unit models, turn vikings into bombers or something.

aye, this a thousand times. SC2 assets are limited and boring as gently caress. I had to really stretch to get some of the units to fit thematically in SquadTD . In the Enfo's remake I was working on, it was really loving hard to have a mix of melee and ranged heroes as well as not having the waves repeat the same models.

darealkooky posted:

You can load custom models in SC2. I was actually using a bunch of imported WoW-models which looked okay but were a little janky. Then one of the patches broke custom models the way I did it and I gave up :effort:

There's a lot of reasons why the UMS scene in SC2 fell apart. Lack of assests for creativity, doing abilities is a ton of work compared to having an easy editable library, confusing UI on locating Arcade maps (at least until a couple patches ago), lack of chat channels (again, too late), popularity system and unused features (Spotlighting), lack of community involvement, no real way to see actively hosted maps (again, too late) and allow people to name lobbies. Some of these things obviously weren't in Blizzards interest because models are expensive, but much of the rest of it should have been there from the getgo. Some of these were finally fixed but several years too late.

I remember they initially had a custom map contest early on and then no winners were announced and nothing happened to it. Which is a pretty lovely thing for them to do. I think that was when people started to become dis-illusioned but the years of neglect and disinterest finally did it in.

Some of it is just the general gaming scene now vs back in 2002/2003. There's a plethora of free or very cheap games to compete for everyone's attention. A lot of the appeal for WC3 was there there wasn't much going on for the PC at the time--it was nearly a barren wasteland and lots of poorer gamers could enjoy playing a variety of gametypes on WC3 for free. Now it's much more competitive with ton more games on the market. There is still a use for UMS games because they allow for interesting ideas/gimmicks that can be put into a multiplayer environment that might be too much effort for an indie game to implement since netcode can be a bitch, but it's still much smaller market than 12 years ago.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Mar 21, 2014

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
Oh god guys, please continue to post descriptions of ridiculous custom game modes you guys have played on.

I was thinking this thread would be bad and full of complaints, But then a single nostalgic tear ran down my eye after I read the words 'Footmen Frenzy' in the OP and all my worries vanished

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Imapanda posted:

Oh god guys, please continue to post descriptions of ridiculous custom game modes you guys have played on.

I was thinking this thread would be bad and full of complaints, But then a single nostalgic tear ran down my eye after I read the words 'Footmen Frenzy' in the OP and all my worries vanished

Customs owned. The best TD maps were just a shitload of fun.

I still think its amazing that there are two full genres of retail games spawned from war3 custom maps.

Then again I guess a lot of games came from doom/quake mods too. War3 was the mod heaven of the 00s in comparison to the fps 90s.

I'm not sure what the current mod world is. Minecraft?

benaldo
Feb 27, 2014

Imapanda posted:

My favorite WC3 map was Revenge of the Niggers. That was the maps name... It was a cops and robbers style game and it was too good. Custom skins, even custom voicing for added awesomeness. Really good time.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

My fav. WC3 custom map was Anime Wars. You picked from a wide range of anime characters and there were just a fuckton of creeps in the center of the map, so basically everyone would just run around killing the creeps and each other. Every five minutes, there'd be a WORLD TOURNAMENT, where the players would randomly face eachother in a single elimination 1v1 tournament. Last man standing got a huge amount of gold.

I distinctly remember Vash from Trigun being broken as gently caress at farming creeps because his ultimate was just a giant laser that killed everything in a huge line after a few seconds, so he could just kill every creep and half the people farming at once. On the flipside, he completely sucked at the tournament part, since all his abilities had channel times so he could just be stunned out of them.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

My favorite was one that sounds exactly like that, but it was called anime fight.

Was there a thing in the corner where if you walked down a winding path and avoided a bunch of rifleman you got a bunch of gold?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

darealkooky posted:

My favorite was one that sounds exactly like that, but it was called anime fight.

Was there a thing in the corner where if you walked down a winding path and avoided a bunch of rifleman you got a bunch of gold?

I remember that one you're talking about. I don't remember the name, but you had a peasant and had to navigate a maze and get to the end, dodging a ton of varied obstacles along the way. It was really really fun.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Run Kitty Run was better :buddy:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Anatharon posted:

Run Kitty Run was better :buddy:

Sped up Linkin Park edition :getin:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

darealkooky posted:

Yeah. I think that map got copied and slightly edited a lot, I've played it under like twenty different names over the years with only minor differences. Though the one that added Sephiroth was pretty sweet because everyone would immediately pick him even though he sucked.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

six in a row posted:

For those of you who aren't really aware of what tower is all about, here is a mini tower review written by a fellow goon and tower mason:
http://www.battlereports.com/users/Stacker/highperch/highperch.html

It has a pretty cool, albeit abridged, play by play of a "normal" highperch game.

For other ways to get onto the perch, I came up with using a teleport staff on a phoenix egg, infernals and if you can't teleport onto a naga tornado then there's some sort of glitch that causes summons to pop onto a higher elevation if they have nowhere else to go. Are any of those right?

Crown Face
Sep 24, 2008
Playing ridiculous custom WC3 maps was by far the most fun and varied experience I have ever had playing any online game ever, it would be cool if this became a regular thing.

The map I remember most is one called Ninjas in Pyjamas, just because of how absurd it was. The map itself was really boring, it was like a really weird DotA-style map, but horizontal rather than diagonal, but the heroes were amazing.

There was an Anime Fan or something that required you to activate an ability and type "EXCALIBUR!!!!" in all chat to shoot a beam out, a "Chat Whore" hero which had you activate an ability and spam empty chat messages to create illusions, a sniper that forced you into a 1st person perspective for one of his skills, a Math Magician named "Numbers" who's ability tool tips were so long and convoluted that I'm not sure anybody ever even bothered with him, etc.

I also really enjoyed a lot of the crazy TD's that people would come up with, though all anyone ever played was Element TD (which was pretty fun, too).

A lot of those custom map makers were super talented, it's too bad the custom game list was always just packed with DotA. I always thought/hoped that Blizzard would have come out with something like a standalone version of the WC3 map editor and custom game client, it was a really cool way to let the community showcase really unique concepts and crazy custom scripting.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

quote:

There's a lot of reasons why the UMS scene in SC2 fell apart. Lack of assests for creativity, doing abilities is a ton of work compared to having an easy editable library, confusing UI on locating Arcade maps (at least until a couple patches ago), lack of chat channels (again, too late), popularity system and unused features (Spotlighting), lack of community involvement, no real way to see actively hosted maps (again, too late) and allow people to name lobbies. Some of these things obviously weren't in Blizzards interest because models are expensive, but much of the rest of it should have been there from the getgo. Some of these were finally fixed but several years too late.

I think the loss of custom campaigns is what really hurt the UMS scene as well. BW and War3 all had some amazing custom campaigns. I know the team behind the groundbreaking Legacy of the Confederation campaign for BW wanted to remake it in SC2. They got writing done, voice acting done, and then it seems like SC2's infrastructure just flat out killed it. How would you even distribute a campaign with voice acting and custom assets and things like that with the new Battle.net?

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
Battle.net 2.0 was a loving terrible design and literally did not improve upon a single thing that WC3s battle.net had and actually just made a whole lot of it worse. Did Blizzard ever release any of those "premium custom maps" that they were hyping up pre-sc2 launch? The only one I heard about (BLIZZARD DOTA) is becoming it's own game now

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
I used to play this old piece of crap called Kaagz RPG. It was garbage, but hey back then your online game options were really slim and this was free content.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Tiger Millionaire posted:

Battle.net 2.0 was a loving terrible design and literally did not improve upon a single thing that WC3s battle.net had and actually just made a whole lot of it worse. Did Blizzard ever release any of those "premium custom maps" that they were hyping up pre-sc2 launch? The only one I heard about (BLIZZARD DOTA) is becoming it's own game now

Aiur Chef and Left 2 Die? They came out ages ago.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I can't remember what it was called but there was an insane chinese custom in the vain of Dota that was everything x1000. IMBA WArs I think?

There was stuff like a mortar team who could shoot across the entire map, a Lich who revived every dead creep on the map as a skeleton for a passive, an Infernal who had Reign of Chaos that was cast 20 times at once, and a Goblin who could drain all your gold. It was great. :allears:

Some of the guys weren't OP enough to be useful but usually matches went back and forth. None of the abilites or items had tooltips so it was a lot of fun figuring out just what that button you pressed may have done. (it makes you win 5 minutes after casting it)

angry climber
Dec 6, 2010
One of my favorite customs is where you play a rifleman and the goal is to snipe your opponents. One shot kills. Your point of view is "locked" behind the rifleman, making it essentially a 3rd person shooter.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So much time spent in customs.

Tides of Blood
Lordaeron Tactics
Werewolf
Vampire Hunter
Rival Nations
TDs
Hero Siege

poo poo :pcgaming:

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
I always enjoyed hero siege maps, at least until they got stupid with the unlimited stat tomes and poo poo.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
I played hours upon hours of Island Defense. It was Cats vs Mice taken to the extreme, pretty much. One player was the Titan, a hero unit that leveled up and collected gold by killing the defenders' stuff. Defenders were little builder units that could (usually) be killed in 3 hits by a level 1 Titan (eventually you would be 2 or 1 shot by them as they leveled up and got more items) whose goal was to collect enough resources and build a base capable of fending off and eventually killing the Titan. There were multiple difference races for the builders and titan, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. The game was surprisingly balanced and a ton of fun. The early game generally revolved around the builders finding areas to harvest lumber without the Titan locating them. If the Titan found their gathering point, best practice was to destroy as much of your own stuff as possible to deny the Titan gold and experience. There was also a gold mine in the center of the map that builders could collect gold from, which was used for powerful upgrades. It was very risky to gather gold there, however, as the Titan had constant vision of the gold mine, could teleport back to it, and there was a fairly long run back to areas that could be walled up. If your builder died to the Titan, you came back as a mini-titan and played for the other team. The Titan could take control of the mini-titan away from you if he wanted, and most did so instantly and just stuck their mini-titan guarding the gold mine. A few of the builder races excelled at killing these mini-titans. Killing them netted them a hefty amount of gold.

Like most cat and mouse style games, Titans needed two spaces to move through an area, whereas builders could move through 1 space wide gaps.

Island Defense was probably my favorite custom game on WC3, though I played tons of different ones when a good Island Defense game couldn't be found.

It was remade for Starcraft 2, but like many Starcraft 2 map remakes, it just wasn't the same.

remeez
Jan 10, 2007

I spent hours upon hours playing X Hero Defense, it was pretty tough to find games in the giant list of dota matches...

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

angry climber posted:

One of my favorite customs is where you play a rifleman and the goal is to snipe your opponents. One shot kills. Your point of view is "locked" behind the rifleman, making it essentially a 3rd person shooter.

Elimination Tournament?

Ungoal
Mar 13, 2014

by XyloJW
Anyone remember that huge LOTR custom map called The Ring Wars or something which had a LOT of custom skins/spells/terrain designs in it? I remember how those would last for hours and how fun it was. Also, you couldn't go wrong with Footmen Frenzy either.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ungoal posted:

Anyone remember that huge LOTR custom map called The Ring Wars or something which had a LOT of custom skins/spells/terrain designs in it? I remember how those would last for hours and how fun it was. Also, you couldn't go wrong with Footmen Frenzy either.
That LOTR map was awesome because of how huge it was. The best side was the Ring Wraths because you could just stomp around the map picking off stray heroes.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Tykero posted:

I played hours upon hours of Island Defense.
This game was the best. I loved being the Titan and trolling the hell out of the little builder players. Many, many hours wasted on that map, all as the Titan.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

DoBRP was the best loving custom map series and I will fight you if you say otherwise.

Not only could you set up NPCs with a patrol route, you could also give each and every one of them unique dialogue when clicked, as well as having basic triggers for switches/doors opening and closing, etc.

All in a live multiplayer environment.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Ungoal posted:

If that were a stand-alone videogame, it would be my favorite of all time. The best. The elves owned.

Ungoal
Mar 13, 2014

by XyloJW

foutre posted:

If that were a stand-alone videogame, it would be my favorite of all time. The best. The elves owned.

It should've been because it was loving amazing.

The Free Peoples of Middle Earth were (played by each player, 14 players total):

Gondor
Rohan
The Ents (Entmoot)
The Shire
Rivendell
The Dwarves (by the lonely mountain)
And the Fellowship of the Ring

Sauron and his Forces were:

Mordor (Sauron)
The Nazgul and Minas Morgul
The Horadrim (they even had the elephant skins!)
Goblins of Moria (The balrog hero had a skin too!)
Easterlings
Saruman / Isengard
I can't remember the 7th one

Anyway the premise of the map was to destroy the ring by putting in Mt. Doom but that was basically impossible unless you could defeat the Mordor and Nazgul/Minas Morgul players. However, if the Saruman player manages to kill Frodo and pick up the ring he drops he becomes this mega-badass super unit that becomes hostile towards the Sauron player and his allies as well! It was so fun when that happened because then everyone on both of the original sides would team up against Isengard. But it was amazing, the amount of detail, skins, terrain, achievements, upgrades, you name it. I'm surprised it didn't get a sequel or some sort in the same vein that DotA did with DotA 2.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
War3 only supported 12 human players. Ents/Shire were one faction and there wasn't a seventh for the Forces of Sauron you were forgetting.

Free Peoples of Middle Earth
Red - Gondor
Blue - Rhohan
Teal - Elves
Purple - Fellowship
Yellow - Shire/Ents
Orange - Dwarves/Dale(ugh)

Forces of Sauron
Green - Isengard
Pink - Moria
Gray - Easterlings
Light Blue - Harad
Dark Green - Nazgul
Brown - Mordor

I had some utterly epic games during all my playtime of Ring Wars. One of the ones still clear in my mind after all these years is my playing the Fellowship in a losing battle. I manage to get Frodo up to level six, which he needs to be to throw the ring into Mount Doom. So I stage an attack on the north gate and break through it, and have Frodo stealth up to the mountain. All the Fellowship die, but Frodo survives and the Ring is destroyed! And I get booted out because Ring-Frodo and No-Ring-Frodo are different heroes. The second replaces the first after the ring's destroyed. And since during that transfer I had no heroes I lost even though Free Peoples probably won in the end.

Some things were just dumb however. Voice of Saruman was ridiculously stupid, since it could permanently mind-control the Ents and there were only eight Ents to start with. So in a couple minutes Entmoot would be defenseless. It could also be used to permanently steal heroes if anyone got loaded into the Eagles. Dale was probably even worse since it just drew the aggro of every evil faction which led them to steamrolling two Orange bases and an Elf one as well.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

McTimmy posted:

It could also be used to permanently steal heroes if anyone got loaded into the Eagles.

Finally a good reason they didn't just fly to mount doom! :v:

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
If anyone can find one of the original maps and get enough people, I am so down to play that again.

I never actually got to see Saruman do well because I was embarrassingly good at shutting him down as the elves (I played them and Nazgul a ton), and my plots to steal it for myself never quite worked out.

e: Wait, in the game I remember elves/ents were one and the same and were yellow. Huh.

Rymos
Jan 31, 2014
I used to play a whole bunch of Tree Tag and DoBRP. I played more Sheep Tag than Island Defense, though. I used to just make big mazes of buildings across the map and abuse the one tile collision that the sheep players had to make the wolves super sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jowj
Dec 25, 2010

My favourite player and idol. His battles with his wrists mirror my own battles with the constant disgust I feel towards my zerg bugs.

Rymos posted:

I used to play a whole bunch of Tree Tag and DoBRP. I played more Sheep Tag than Island Defense, though. I used to just make big mazes of buildings across the map and abuse the one tile collision that the sheep players had to make the wolves super sad.

Tree tag, sheep tag, and footman frenzy were my poo poo man. gently caress i love those games.