Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Genesis of Empires II :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Something important to note- the "Custom Gaming Goons" banner is actually a link to the steam group that's starting us off in our magical adventure to custom bliss.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Interstellar Owl posted:

Does anyone remember the DBZ map? Also, tried to come back to SC2 to see how far the custom maps have come, and a lot of them are total rear end compared to even SC1, let alone WC3.. the new Battle.net seems horrible.

Haha yeah, I sometimes still pop on to play that map. It's just nice silly fun, even if nowadays there's the two people that know it 100% and how to make you lose in ten minutes or less.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

zanmatto posted:

I'm currently in the middle of getting wrecked at Impossible Bosses. It's been way too long.

All custom game nights must be Impossible Bosses on the hardest difficulty. No other maps can be played until we win. Twice :unsmigghh:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

SierraNovember posted:

Pudgewars anyone?

Honestly, that and The Predator are my favorite minigame style maps. They're just so much loving fun, especially when the physics start to break down.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Adam Bowen posted:

I'm glad that we got World of Warcraft, as much as it's easy to poo poo all over that game now it was amazing in 2004. But I'll always be a bit bummed out that because of WoW, we never got Warcraft 3 as the RPG/RTS hybrid that was originally planned. Also, I've always wondered what the 6th race would have been before they decided to drop it down to 4. I know the 5th was meant to be the Burning Legion, but I've never heard anything about the last one. Warcraft 3 was still a glorious game from a better time, a time when Blizzard designed their RTS games without worrying about stupid e-sports bullshit, and added extra races because new races are fun even if they gently caress up multiplayer balance.

The naga were halfway implemented in the base game, so I assume they were the sixth.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

sat. posted:

Just when I thought you guys couldn't top the Bifocal Double Reverse Gilderbase.

Wait what's that?

Also we'll probably have an organized game night by McSlaughter as soon as our round of hvz ends.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Haha I loved that game. Never really saw it be that competitive though, the constant threat from the never-ending dark hordes (which would easily level the unprepared) saw most games be coop, with maybe some last minute backstabs just cuz

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Shade2142 posted:

The vanilla version was fun. All the kids rushed to be the mayor for that sweet passive income. Drug lord is cool, but he can get camped once someone else is stronger than his units. Cops are also a great way to grief pubbies with the steam tank(paddy wagon?); just consume players and trap them in jail.

And that doesn't even get into the theme games with crazy op poo poo and the schemes to overthrow them

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

The best game, objectively, is Jesuscraft ORPG. Prove me wrong.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

sirtommygunn posted:

That'd be great, we should probably put in some suggestions for times though. Let's start basic, is there any day of the week that most of you would prefer?

I'll be available at just about any time for the next few weeks.

I'm down for whatever, and most likely whenever depending on the notice given.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Anatharon posted:

Run Kitty Run was better :buddy:

Sped up Linkin Park edition :getin:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

McTimmy posted:

It could also be used to permanently steal heroes if anyone got loaded into the Eagles.

Finally a good reason they didn't just fly to mount doom! :v:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Dota 2 recently released its map editor, which is a spiritual successor to wc3s. A lot of classic maps have already been ported over as well.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

I still think there's a little value to wring out of the custom games. Obviously not as much as if you had bought in ~2004 though.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Jsor posted:

I'm still extremely bitter about that one patch that fixed that security bug and broke like 90% of the custom maps.

They broke my favorite map, and I haven't played it since :(

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Cicero posted:

WarCraft: Armies Of Azeroth - StarCraft II mod: http://youtu.be/YcioVsilAdw

Just saw that now through a friend. I'm pretty excited for this, even though (due to the other reasons listed above) I doubt it will do much for Starcraft 2's modding. It probably requires the latest expansion too, now that I think about it.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

DBZ Tribute with Beerus :chanpop:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

FoolyCharged posted:

Okay, but imagine having decent selection sizes on custom maps. Which given how people received wc3 isn't a thing you can ignore.

finally a semi-coherent way to field my billion zombie armies

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

It did help me a bunch though, so thanks!

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Are peeps leaving because they're bored or got ground out of all their resources?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

dr.acula posted:

It's not finished yet relax. Heroes of the storm looked worse when it first came to be as well.

That's a lot of polish to fit into a month

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Holy poo poo, absolute kings the lot of you

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

I'm very excited to see blizz retroactively brick our old versions so that we all have to hop on Mr. Reforged's wild ride

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Polio Vax Scene posted:

This is the most damning thing about reforged to me. When I purchased WC3 so many years ago, I did so for the campaign. I didn't know about multiplayer, about battle.net accounts, until long after I had beaten it. And it still strikes my fancy that if I am away somewhere and have limited/no internet that I can take out my laptop and play a couple WC3 campaign missions or vs AI games. That is no longer possible. Why the hell do they care if I'm playing some campaign missions? Why do I need to be logged in to an online service to use the product I purchased when I haven't had to previously?

Sounds like you're producing valuable data they could otherwise use for their own profits! Wouldn't want them to miss out on having the bux to slash more developers and hire some sweatshop workers to code in a $20 hero skin pack, now would you?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Time for everyone to backpatch to the last classic version and hide in third party clients like ENTnet or someshit, because reforged is a trashfire

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Lmao they didn't even invest enough in the inevitable damage control

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Port forwarding hasn't been a thing for years, and wasn't THAT big of an issue

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Can't wait for that to actually happen but they bungle the release and someone else ends up dominating the genre

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Genesis of Empires II :negative:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Ah, well glad they just decided to go back and destroy and old title for shits and giggles then. A+ job blizz, bang up work all around.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

tl;dr for bad game please?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

consider becoming like myself, refined uranium that gives off slightly higher dosages of lethal background radiation

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

eurobattle works well for that

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

It's like if being gifted Bad rats also made you unable to play portal 2

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Klaus88 posted:

I booted up battlenet recently to play some WC3 custom content.

I was- loving livid when I realized that I couldn't do that anymore.

Is this really how it is? I really can't play classic WC3 anymore? I HAVE to buy reforged?

You don't have to buy but you do have to dl the bloatware

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Honestly at this point my impression is that they should be proud that there was a vaguely functional product pushed out around the right date with all the fuckery in management

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Eh every other patch for awhile had been breaking maps depending on esoteric coding factors, im not sure how much reforged hosed up particularly. There are still customs around and being made, ymmv on the quality or if your specific nostalgia map still works or holds up

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

FoolyCharged posted:

E: blizzard probably refuses to host poo poo like maps with goku and cloud in it these days, so those are probably lost too.

Nah anime poo poo is still around and thriving, there's effectively zero regulation or enforcement around any of that as far as I can tell. Still basically always a DBZ tribute lobby up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

but without all the poo poo there wouldn't be the thrill of finding the gems