Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

L. Ron Mexico
May 14, 2005

dichloroisocyanuric posted:

Also drophacks? But yeah, fair enough. Oh well, the game is over a decade old. Maybe I'll bust it out and start doing some ladder.

I wish Enfos were ported over to Diablo 3.

there was a lot of drophackers like a year - year and a half ago, but they seem to be mostly gone now. europe ladder is not really too bad hacker-wise, but i don't know what's going on on us ladders. but (solo-) games are easy to find, and hackers are not a big deal, so by all means do some laddering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L. Ron Mexico
May 14, 2005

Well, there was only one matchup that was/is really broken (Ud v Orc) and the rest is pretty decent. but that one matchup has been completely broken since like early ROC, which is not something you ever saw in starcraft games. I mean, we're talking something like 80+% winrate for orc for large stretches of time

e: i don't mean this as horrible balance-whining . not trying to cry about the horrible unfairness of the orcish horde or anything like that

L. Ron Mexico fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 7, 2013

L. Ron Mexico
May 14, 2005

been watching some warcraft streams, and they're pretty fun, but man.... moon losing a won game to th000 in game seven of a 1000$ tournament final by getting too cocky and losing his zeppelin loaded with DH, naga and dryads over the forest instead of just tp'ing. ugly, ugly -but pretty funny- finish

L. Ron Mexico
May 14, 2005

i liked both campaigns except like the tower defense missions. the one in the human campaign is terrible enough, but the undead one where there's like 3 human bases attacking you with tanks, mortars, gryphons and whatever else can gently caress off. it takes forever, is incredibly annoying to play, and is much harder than pretty much any other mission in the entire game. i can do all other missions on hard pretty easily, but that one i pretty much always do on normal just to get the loving thing over with. ughhh

L. Ron Mexico
May 14, 2005

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

That was a good little custom campaign. Orcs kind of got shafted in TFT but whatever. Shame it wasn't even voice-acted or anything.

that bonus campaign was actually voice-acted. just for some reason the audio was cut before release. there's a mod out there that restores the audio, I got it in a pack with all the normal campaigns updated to the latest unit stats. can't remember where I found it though, so you'll have to try google or whatever if you're interested

L. Ron Mexico
May 14, 2005

really depends on which gateway you're using. US west is pretty much dead I think - but it should be possible to find something on northrend and possibly even US east. though 3v3 is probably the least popular gametype anyway - most people who just want to gently caress around in team games play 4v4, and serious business team-game players play 2v2

L. Ron Mexico
May 14, 2005

all the maps in the new mappool were random weird old maps noone had played for 10 years, and they were generally terrible. no tavern maps, asymmetrical maps, weird issues with creep AI, hugely imbalanced item drops etc.
there are a fair number of new-ish maps people actually play and like, but they're not in the standard wc3 mappool so to include them I guess they have to upload a patch or something?
whatever they have to do to include them, they haven't been willing to over the last 5 or so years

L. Ron Mexico
May 14, 2005

gonna be Lost Temple, Gnoll Wood, and Broken Shard or something. Maybe with a reskin of LT to make it use the outlands tileset

L. Ron Mexico
May 14, 2005

nah. the official blizzard servers are still full of people who can barely build a building without minutes of deep thought. maphackers are pretty common (i dunno, 10% maybe?), although at the lower end of the ladder they are generally so bad that it doesn't really matter much. Not many people on US west IIRC, but there's a reasonable population at both europe and US east I think
the wc3arena server has better ping and very few (in principle none) hackers, but the level of play is also substantially higher

L. Ron Mexico
May 14, 2005

i dunno.
firelord is generally bad because he scales badly with levels - his only good skill is lavaspawns (which are great ofc), but they lose a lot of utility once opponent has dispell. so he's basically only used for early tower pushes, mostly as second hero for humans tower-pushing straightaway after teching. though i guess beastmaster is much more popular for that now, since he fills the same role and he's better late game

all heroes are used, but some are extremely niche. outside firelord, pitlord and alchemist are probably the least used for good reason. pitlord is used for undead against orc (howl reduces damage a ton, rain of fire is decent agains webbed wyverns) and sometimes against mass tower/repairing humans, in both cases as third hero. only "real" use for alchemist is as third hero for orc against human in air vs air I think. and sometimes as a curveball-strat first hero for elves i guess. Otherwise both of these dudes are just fat and kinda useless

^ as that guy says, dreadlord is also real bad, but he's used "a lot" as third hero in undead mirror when both go gargoyles. and in free-for-all, since his ultimate is so fantastic. Far seer is actually a pretty decent hero, but why would you choose him when you can choose the best hero in the game instead? Is still used against undead and human now and then though, especially if there's not a thousand small lovely camps dropping circlets and claws on the map

L. Ron Mexico
May 14, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2zOx0nhFDo

When does Grubby kill the ogre at his north 10:30 green camp? He uses skele stick at 3:29 but I never saw him camera over that camp.

he never did. orc stole it while he was running around the map + cancelling shop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L. Ron Mexico
May 14, 2005

General Battuta posted:

Probability is a brainfuck. If critical strike triggers on an attack, on which subsequent attack is the next critical strike most likely to occur? It's not a trick question exactly, but the answer is deeply counterintuitive.

(An equivalent question is "if you miss a 99% shot in XCOM, which subsequent 99% shot is most likely to be the next one you miss?")

I wonder if the RNG that WC3 uses is truly random or if it cheats a bit to get rid of stuff like the above which doesn't 'feel random' to the human brain.

the wc3 rng is very much not random - to-crit% and such increase for each miss. the average works out to be what it says on the can, but you're really unlikely to see long streaks of misses.
I'd assume this is how it's done in basically all games, since people are in general awful at probabilities - and things like seeing 7 misses in a row in a 1/3 hit-probability (or whatever) is liable to get the developer death threats even though it's not at all that unlikely.