Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win?
This poll is closed.
Vishy Anand 3 2.26%
Magnus Carlsen 30 22.56%
Kirsan Ilyumzhinov 100 75.19%
Total: 133 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
That was quite a game to end this match. A bit odd, but fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
I'm surprised Carlsen was so dominant. Anand played a couple of the games well but couldn't push his advantage enough. Was holding out on d4 a mistake?

Zwachro
Mar 7, 2003
C808BEA

Hob_Gadling posted:

Was holding out on d4 a mistake?
In yesterday's game the Norwegian commentators made a point that the Norwegian national team held a camp recently where they studied the defence Carlsen ended up using (I think it was the particular Nimzo-Indian variation too) and Carlsen therefore was very familiar with it.

If Anand knew this (Ian Rogers did when interviewed so it probably wasn't a very well-kept secret) it may have caused him to hestitate a bit.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Hob_Gadling posted:

I'm surprised Carlsen was so dominant. Anand played a couple of the games well but couldn't push his advantage enough. Was holding out on d4 a mistake?

6.5-3.5 was actually the exact score predicted by rating difference.

I don't want to say that holding out on d4 specifically was a problem, but Anand should have been more aggressive earlier. The line he played against the Nimzo, with 4.f3, is actually very drawish if black wants it to be (and knows what they're doing), but is good as a one-off. Better yet might have been some kind of Catalan structure which only promises a small edge, but also keeps pieces on the board.

Also Magnus getting asked about his girlfriend.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Hand Knit posted:

And in the final analysis, the difference in strength was what was always most likely to matter. It's not that match experience, nerves, and preparation don't matter, but those are all secondary to the basic question of "who's better at this chess thing?"

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Hand Knit posted:

Stats don't lie!

I'm sad to see that Vishy didn't score even a single win though. How often does it happen that the defending world champion fails to win even one game in the match where they lose the title? It happened in Kasparov-Kramnik 2000 as well, as I recall.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

This is actually just a ploy to destroy the pocket computer he had on him the whole time.

White Paper
Sep 24, 2000

Hand Knit posted:

This is actually just a ploy to destroy the pocket computer he had on him the whole time.

First time I have seen a chess champion show that kind of behavior.
He is also quoted saying "I guess it is time to be less *chess player* and more *celebrity*".
Not sure if chess as a sport will benefit from this or not, I guess it will.

White Paper
Sep 24, 2000
Edit: nevermind.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Hand Knit posted:

Yeah I'm not going anywhere near water if I was in India.

Vogler
Feb 6, 2009
It's a pool at a 5 star hotel you doofus

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
Hikaru Nakamura, on Facebook: "Lets just say that if if either myself of Caruana fulfill our absolute potential, we will both have chances to beat him in the future."

Optimistic...but then, if you're one of the top 5 chess players in the world, you probably have every right to feel you could eventually get to #1.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I think the people with chances to beat Carlsen in the future if they "fulfill [their] absolute potential" is probably more than just Caruana and Nakamura.

But nice of Nakamura to include someone other than himself.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

OrangeKing posted:

Hikaru Nakamura, on Facebook: "Lets just say that if if either myself of Caruana fulfill our absolute potential, we will both have chances to beat him in the future."

Optimistic...but then, if you're one of the top 5 chess players in the world, you probably have every right to feel you could eventually get to #1.

Whenever Nakamura talks trash about Carlsen I keep thinking "but you've never even gotten close to beating him in a classical game..." Of course OTOH IIRC Fischer had a pretty bad record against Spassky before their 1972 match.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

OrangeKing posted:

You know, between this quote and the Sauron one, Carlsen is pretty well set up to say "stupid, fat hobbit!" at some point in the near future.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Carlsen seems to be rather too, ah, Norwegian to do something like that.

I really would dig it if the "Sauron" nickname stuck, though. It'd be absolutely hilarious.

e. Re: Fischer-Spassky, didn't Spassky take a ton of weird poo poo from Fischer? Like to the point where he could legitimately have said "No, gently caress you Bobby I'm out"?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

V. Illych L. posted:

e. Re: Fischer-Spassky, didn't Spassky take a ton of weird poo poo from Fischer? Like to the point where he could legitimately have said "No, gently caress you Bobby I'm out"?

Yes Spassky was a true gentleman.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

gret posted:

Yes Spassky was a true gentleman.

But there's a distinction between tag-teaming a group of prostitutes with Mikhail Tal* and rambling about the New World Order. I have no idea what exactly that distinction is or its meaning, but there is definitely a distinction.

*It was Spassky, right?

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Is Naka still loving around way too much with poker? I seem to remember him taking heat from people because poker was substantially taking away from his chess study time.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8WbDD2mmkw Magnus Carlsen gets thrown into the pool, as depicted in the still photo posted earlier.

I was trying to think of ways to keep this thread more engaged throughout the year, and while this may require another thread in the appropriate subforum...would there be interest in a fantasy chess league of sorts? I have ideas of how to implement it, and would be willing to do most of the grunt work and provide a sweet prize fund of like a $10 SA gift certificate. Now you too can have the experience of being a grandmaster at a local weekend open, fighting for a few scraps to feed your family!

Seriously, though, any interest? Without getting into too many details, the points would be based on a combination of wins in tournaments/matches and your team's average rating on each month's FIDE rating list, and it would last throughout 2014. I'm imaging about eight teams, though we could certainly accommodate more if there's a flood of fantasy chess interest. I mean, there's essentially an unlimited number of players to draft.

Hand Knit posted:

But there's a distinction between tag-teaming a group of prostitutes with Mikhail Tal* and rambling about the New World Order. I have no idea what exactly that distinction is or its meaning, but there is definitely a distinction.

*It was Spassky, right?

I've never heard this story, but it sounds kind of amazing!

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I'm down for fantasy anything.

Rene Rancourt
Mar 26, 2007

Was my contract good for you, too?
I want to LARP chess

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Shoeonhead22 posted:

I want to LARP chess

I have slain thee, pawn!

Umm, I'll post some draft rules for a fantasy chess league tomorrow and see what people think.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
that sounds fun.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Could be neat. Side bets on # of specific opening lines made during a tournament? ;)

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

OrangeKing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8WbDD2mmkw Magnus Carlsen gets thrown into the pool, as depicted in the still photo posted earlier.

I was trying to think of ways to keep this thread more engaged throughout the year, and while this may require another thread in the appropriate subforum...would there be interest in a fantasy chess league of sorts? I have ideas of how to implement it, and would be willing to do most of the grunt work and provide a sweet prize fund of like a $10 SA gift certificate. Now you too can have the experience of being a grandmaster at a local weekend open, fighting for a few scraps to feed your family!

Seriously, though, any interest? Without getting into too many details, the points would be based on a combination of wins in tournaments/matches and your team's average rating on each month's FIDE rating list, and it would last throughout 2014. I'm imaging about eight teams, though we could certainly accommodate more if there's a flood of fantasy chess interest. I mean, there's essentially an unlimited number of players to draft.

I've never heard this story, but it sounds kind of amazing!

If you're going to go ahead with this, you can run it through this thread. It seems like a good way to keep people talking about the various top-level tournaments by giving particular players to follow. (I also suspect that a chess thread in TAQB would have negative views.) Creating a fantasy chess team seems interesting because you have to consider not just who will be better or worse, but who is actually going to play over the coming year RIP Gashimov.

Also I'll consult with our local 'oral historian' to make sure I have the details straight on the Tal-Spassky thing, because I don't remember all the details very clearly and it may not be Spassky.

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

totalnewbie posted:

I think the people with chances to beat Carlsen in the future if they "fulfill [their] absolute potential" is probably more than just Caruana and Nakamura.

But nice of Nakamura to include someone other than himself.
From the top 20 I'd pick ... Hikaru, MVL, Caruana and maybe Hao as those who might have a chance in the future, should they continue to improve and fulfill potential.

It's hard to overstate how really loving good Magnus is right now though.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

For 2014 there's probably a list of several people who could beat him, although none of them would be the favourite. I'd throw out something like Kramnik, Svidler, Ivanchuk, Aronian, and maybe even guys like Grischuk, Radjabov (if he returns from the dadzone), Karjakin, and Caruana.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Hand Knit posted:

If you're going to go ahead with this, you can run it through this thread. It seems like a good way to keep people talking about the various top-level tournaments by giving particular players to follow. (I also suspect that a chess thread in TAQB would have negative views.) Creating a fantasy chess team seems interesting because you have to consider not just who will be better or worse, but who is actually going to play over the coming year RIP Gashimov.

Excellent - I just didn't want to assume it would be okay to run it through here, but it would be easier. On that note, let's try some draft rules, and get some feedback!

Fantasy Chess Rules: Attempt the First

Like any good fantasy sports league, our fantasy chess league will begin with a draft, which we'll just run through this thread. Each team will consist of five players, as well as one bench/reserve spot. The draft order will be randomly determined and will reverse each round (i.e., a snake draft).

Roster moves would be pretty basic: if you want to move a player off the bench, just post in here and it'll take effect after the next rating list comes out (so that people can't be too manipulative with their rosters). Add/drops could be done too, but...maybe a maximum of two per team for the year, so that people aren't adding whoever is playing every week. Trades are cool, because everyone likes trading.

Scoring

There will be two ways to score points. First, each team's average rating (not including the reserve player) will be determined based on each month's FIDE rating list. The team with the lowest average rating will get one point, the team with the second-lowest rating will get two points, and so on. In a hypothetical eight team league, that means the top team would get eight points.

Players will also earn their team points through their play in tournaments. Here's where we need to have a little discussion, both on what will score and how to score it. I have two ideas for each:

1) We come up with a list of events that count towards scoring. This would include all invitationals, the Olympiad, and anything World Championship related, but probably not open tournaments like Aeroflot.

2) Any event can count, but only results against other players in the league score points for your team. This could be a little trickier to track, but eliminates having to decide what tournaments count and which ones don't.

As for scoring, I'm thinking a basic point for a win and .5 for a draw, though I could be convinced to only count wins and ignore draws.

Possible Rules?

-Should we require each team to have roster spots designated for a woman/a junior (or one each)? This would up the challenge level a bit.
-Should there be bonus points for winning major tournaments?

OrangeKing fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 23, 2013

Rene Rancourt
Mar 26, 2007

What process will you be using for the draft? Count me in either way

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

OrangeKing posted:

As for scoring, I'm thinking a basic point for a win and .5 for a draw, though I could be convinced to only count wins and ignore draws.

What prevents me from picking top 5 rated players in the world?

vyshka
Aug 10, 2010

Hob_Gadling posted:

What prevents me from picking top 5 rated players in the world?

There will be a draft and a player can only be on one roster.

Rene Rancourt
Mar 26, 2007

Can we get a no Magnus rule as well?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

If we're counting total points and not score by percentage I doubt that would be necessary. In fact, depending on which tournaments we're looking at, he may even be picked after someone like Nakamura who plays god drat everything.

singe
Aug 24, 2008

I want to ride my bicycle.
dibs on MVL.

Interesting concept though I honestly don't see how the women players will work out, it will seem like a separate mini fantasy league aside for judit.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Hand Knit posted:

If we're counting total points and not score by percentage I doubt that would be necessary. In fact, depending on which tournaments we're looking at, he may even be picked after someone like Nakamura who plays god drat everything.

Yeah, I think we'll just go by total points. That's clearly not as balanced, but it's easier. And as long as everyone knows, it'll just be another consideration during the draft.

Okay, after looking at the posts above and some thoughts of my own, I think I have what could be a final draft for the rules. In summary: fewer players per team, fewer points for the monthly rating lists (I don't want to eliminate it entirely, because it will help people whose players just happen to take a month off still get some points if they're doing well in general...and it guarantees an score update every month), a firm scoring system, and a proposed list of tournaments that will count, though I'm open to adjusting it. In fact, I hope we can adjust it, since I'm sure I've left some good ones off. I'm also open to arguments about including major national championships or the Women's Grand Prix tournaments, for instance.

If you want to play, please post to confirm your interest. Here's a list of people who have explicitly said they want to play so far:

OrangeKing
gret
Shoeonhead22

Fantasy Chess Rules: Take Two

Like any good fantasy sports league, our fantasy chess league will begin with a draft, which will be run through this thread. Each team will consist of four players. The draft order will be randomly determined and will reverse each round (i.e., a snake draft).

The season will start January 1 and end December 31. During the season, team owners are free to trade with each other at any time. Players can also be dropped and replaced by any player who is not currently on a team. However, teams will be limited to a maximum of three add/drop moves for the year, and a maximum of one in any given month. If a tournament is in progress, the add/drop will not take effect until after the tournament ends.

Scoring

There will be two ways to score points.

Primarily, players will earn their team points through their play in tournaments. Players will earn one point per win and .5 points per draw during play in selected tournaments. The current tournament list is as follows (assuming they're all held):

Wik aan Zee (including B and C groups?)
Tal Memorial
Dortmund
Biel
London Chess Classic
Zurich Chess Challenge
Candidates Tournament
World Chess Championship
Sinquefield Cup
Norway Chess
Bilbao Masters
Gibraltar Open
Aeroflot Open
Chess Olympiad
Any FIDE Grand Prix events that FIDE suddenly decides to schedule

In addition, each team's average rating (not including the reserve player) will be determined based on each month's FIDE rating list. The top team on this measure will earn 3 bonus points, the second place team will earn 2, and the third place team will earn 1.

At the end of the season, the team with the most points wins! I'll chip in a prize worth $10 or less in forum upgrades to the winner.

-----------

Shoeonhead22 posted:

What process will you be using for the draft? Count me in either way

Just a typical snake draft. I'll give people a max of 24 hours to make each pick once we start; if anyone fails to make a pick, they'll get whoever the highest remaining player is on the live rating list.

OrangeKing fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Nov 24, 2013

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Sign me up.

vyshka
Aug 10, 2010
I'm in.

Is Linares truly dead now? I know at one point there was talk of it starting up again.

vyshka fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Nov 24, 2013

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I'll play your game you rogue.

I suggest you do a random draw for the draft order pick on the first round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Sure I'll play. (that makes 7 I think?)

• Locked thread