Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
You are making it too easy for Buchephalus to stalk you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viking Blood
Jun 17, 2005

The hammer of the Gods will drive our riffs to new lands

ironblock posted:

Oh poo poo, do I know you from 311s.org? I post under my real name there, but you'd recognize my avatar.

Probably not, I mostly lurk over there. They don't appreciate my sense of humor. :stat:

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

Screw practicality, best 1 mile commute ever.
Okay, finally have some free time. Now we can get to the good stuff.

Transmissible diseases

One of these mysteries is easy to solve, and time independent, so I'll lead with that.

One of the biggest disadvantages to the 1600 Roadster is that it came with a 4-speed transmission, whereas the 2000 came with a 5 speed. As with almost everything else, the 2000's analogue to the 1600 part was poorly engineered, and kind of an afterthought. The 4 speed transmissions are remarkably stout, and have nice low gearing with a wide spread - good for smoking tires on a torquey motor.

I didn't want any of that. I wanted to match my high-strung torque monster to something with tall gearing and a high top speed - so I got an early 2000 5 speed.

Let me explain why this is bad.

The 5 speed developed for the 2000 Roadster was used almost unchanged for 40 years. The casting on the cases changed, the bearing sizes changed, and the gear ratios changed... but the 5 speed in the 300ZX Twin Turbo is the same design as this transmission, in most respects.

The early years were rough for this design. 5th gear was not splined, and it was held on by a single nut, with no lockwasher, second nut, or anything to keep that gear from flying off - so it did. By the middle of '69, Nissan had figured out that this was going to be a problem, and switched to a splined 5th gear with two nuts.

But they took away something I liked. The early transmissions used servo-syncros made of steel - similar to what you would have gotten on a Porsche. The later ones (and everything up through that line) used Borg-Warner style brass cones.

So I got the early one with unobtainable synchros, shipped it all the way from Florida on a Greyhound bus, and questioned all of my decisions thereafter.

Someday, I would have to figure out just how hosed it was inside - but it wasn't time to pull this apart yet, because I still had so much to do to the frame...

Suspension of disbelief

I knew a few things going in. One of them was that I had just spent stacks of cash powdercoating the bejeezus out of everything under the car. The other was that the original bolts were rusted to poo poo.

Enter McMaster Carr (The best store in the universe).

McMaster hooked a brother up with about 50lbs of coated bolts designed to be both insanely strong and immersed in salt water or something, I dunno. What I do know is that as of this time, they haven't shown a hint of rust. Which means that I have one of the only truly rustproof Datsuns in the universe :smug:

Things started coming together.

Of course, I hosed up and put the spring shackles on upside-down, which later caused some hilarity when I tried to figure out why the rear of the car was so high in the air. :downs:

The front suspension was the first to get truly reassembled.

Not bad, considering. And yet... there's something missing.

Something to stop the car with.

Put the brakes on

So Viking Blood was right about one thing, but wrong about the most important part. He didn't consider the AI factor. :cmon:

Yes, these are 4 piston Girling brakes.
Yes, they're for a 1975 Volvo 240-something.
Yes, they're great big lumpy iron boat anchors.

But here's where you have to start considering important things. Things like "What if I didn't just have superior Swedish stopping power? What if I never wanted to have brake fade ever? What if I went just one step further?"

Enter the A32 Nissan Maxima. A wholly unremarkable car with very remarkable girth. A veritable tugboat compared to my nimble little Datsun.

And its vented brake rotors were just the right dimensions for creative machining.

But first, I had to get the old hubs apart.

Ingenuity, or something like it

Getting the brake rotors off of these cars loving sucks, and there's no two ways about that. I made some bad decisions (and no progress) trying to use a small wedge between the hub and the rotor.

Eventually I was able to beat them apart with a chisel and several hammers and about a gallon of PB Blaster.

Only to discover that I still had to pull the wheel bearings. This was some bullshit. I didn't have access to a press or even a good puller. There were some little grooves on the inside that I could use to... to...

:v:

You'd think that wouldn't have worked, but by putting the superbar across the top of the hub, I was able to invert the puller's jaws, hook them just barely onto the bearing race, and slowly tug it out. Once it was flush with the superbar, I just went back to using a hammer.

It leads me to believe that the wheel bearings on these cars don't get done very often. Anyways, that's taking me away from the point, and the point is brakes.

But first, a word from our sponsors

I just need to talk for a moment about how much I loving hate RockAuto and their shity service and their lovely website and basically how much they loving suck and how every employee they have needs a good crack to the jaw.

I ordered two brake calipers, one right, one left, both vented. I got one right, one left, one vented, one solid.

I called RockAuto to complain, and they said "Yeah well we don't really do returns on that brand but maybe you can sell it on a forum or something :saddowns:". The same thing happened when I ordered a gasket set for my 4AGZE - they sent me one for a 4AGE and said "Well if you take apart the engine and send us back all the gaskets we'll try and find the right one".

:mad: gently caress YOU ROCKAUTO BURN IN HELL YOU MONEY-GRUBBING SHITLORDS :mad:

Braking even

Anyways, with that out of the way, I went to Autozone and bought the caliper I needed.

I also contacted a few machinists who had been known to do crazy things. Between them, I received a set of modified Altima/Maxima rotors, a set of spacers, modified hub spacers, and brake fluid manifolds to hook up to my factory lines. Also in this picture is RockAuto loving me for all I'm worth. :huh:

It was time to boogie. And just look at the difference I was going to make. There's some girth to it, if you know what I mean. :smug:

Installing the hub spacers might have been the hardest thing I'd ever done, but after hours of screaming and inappropriate hammer use, I had brake rotors.

I was worried that after all this, I was gonna get black flagged on the last lap and the brake calipers wouldn't fit for some reason. The casting quality was piss poor, and there was a lot of hoping and praying going on. :ohdear:

And they didn't. Every thread on the body of the Roadster is SAE, and the calipers used metric. Lucky for me, I have some big honkin' drill bits and the willpower to see this thing through.

Nrrrrrreeewwww

So after all that dicking around, was I going to have brakes?

Yes. Yes I was.

Just. Barely.

:stare:

What do you figure? Do I have enough braking force for a 2000 lb car?

There's another problem, though. Now the chassis is nice, the suspension is nice, and the brakes are nuts... Guys, the factory brake lines are GROSS. How... how can I make that be the other way?

In the next update, expensive decisions are made, I travel south and learn about destiny, and the Datsun travels north to make a new friend.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
So are you like planning to do wheel stands or something with this car because drat

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
Peninsula? I'm in menlo park!! TWINSIES!!

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

drukqs posted:

Peninsula? I'm in menlo park!! TWINSIES!!

Hah. The car is in La Honda, but I don't get back much :saddowns:

Next year I'll have residency tax status and I can go back whenever I want. This year I have to earn my tax exemption by staying out of America for 330 days.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

ironblock posted:

Hah. The car is in La Honda, but I don't get back much :saddowns:

Next year I'll have residency tax status and I can go back whenever I want. This year I have to earn my tax exemption by staying out of America for 330 days.

I've got a buddy who lives up there, drives a silver 2zz MR2 Spyder...

Maybe we'll see one another on the touge when this project is completed in 2020 (delayed a second time because "Terrific" Ted Thompson will give you a NOS cupholder and you'll have to sperg out on the interior too)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Is there a concern about heat expansion causing the rotors to rub on the calipers? That clearance is insanely close!

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

drukqs posted:

I've got a buddy who lives up there, drives a silver 2zz MR2 Spyder...

If it's a tall guy with fuzzy hair who lives on Old La Honda Road, I know him too. And think he's an rear end in a top hat, but that's another story.

drukqs posted:

Maybe we'll see one another on the touge when this project is completed in 2020 (delayed a second time because "Terrific" Ted Thompson will give you a NOS cupholder and you'll have to sperg out on the interior too)

Since you're local, you understand that roads like 84, 9, 35, and Pescadero Creek are the genesis of this decision. But in all seriousness, my current hope is to bring the car to Cayman, since having a car that lives on a continent you don't live on is no fun.

Also, we haven't even GOTTEN to the interior. Holy poo poo, I will not ruin it but I will tell you now that I start making bad choices and don't stop.

ironblock fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Nov 21, 2013

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

Z3n posted:

Is there a concern about heat expansion causing the rotors to rub on the calipers? That clearance is insanely close!

I'm a bit concerned, yeah. still, there's enough space that I could chuck 'em on a lathe and get more clearance. And if they get too hot, the calipers will become a lathe! :haw:

Hopefully the venting will keep me safe. It's realtively common to do this with the factory rotors and the solid version of the calipers, and as far as I know, both rotors have the same OD.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

ironblock posted:

I'm a bit concerned, yeah. still, there's enough space that I could chuck 'em on a lathe and get more clearance. And if they get too hot, the calipers will become a lathe! :haw:

Hopefully the venting will keep me safe. It's realtively common to do this with the factory rotors and the solid version of the calipers, and as far as I know, both rotors have the same OD.

Dual purpose calipers.

On the bright side, it'll be really easy to tell if they're rubbing after the first hard drive.

Viking Blood
Jun 17, 2005

The hammer of the Gods will drive our riffs to new lands

ironblock posted:

It's realtively common to do this with the factory rotors and the solid version of the calipers, and as far as I know, both rotors have the same OD.

To use the solid version of these calipers and the factory rotors you need to machine 1/4" or so off the OD of the rotors. Not saying you'll have a problem but...just sayin'.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Wait what year Maxima are you talking about? I was not aware my rotors come as a hub assembly.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah.. inboard brakes? gently caress that noise.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

ironblock posted:

If it's a tall guy with fuzzy hair who lives on Old La Honda Road, I know him too. And think he's an rear end in a top hat, but that's another story.

Since you're local, you understand that roads like 84, 9, 35, and Pescadero Creek are the genesis of this decision. But in all seriousness, my current hope is to bring the car to Cayman, since having a car that lives on a continent you don't live on is no fun.

Also, we haven't even GOTTEN to the interior. Holy poo poo, I will not ruin it but I will tell you now that I start making bad choices and don't stop.

Haaaaaahahah yup that's him!

He was craptalking my MR2's viscous LSD last night "AWW THAT SUCKS" then grilled me about whether my car had actual multilink suspension

here are a couple of my san jose/santa clara friends several years back (2003ish) in your neck of the woods

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqVvNPnxaLs

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what

Phone posted:

Yeah.. inboard brakes? gently caress that noise.
Those aren't inboard brakes.

These are inboard brakes.

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

Viking Blood posted:

To use the solid version of these calipers and the factory rotors you need to machine 1/4" or so off the OD of the rotors. Not saying you'll have a problem but...just sayin'.

After rereading the Altima rotor thread, I recall that we eventually all decided that there wasn't gonna be a problem, but that it was going to be really, really close.

Preoptopus posted:

Wait what year Maxima are you talking about? I was not aware my rotors come as a hub assembly.

Sorry, I had it wrong, they're from a '96 Altima. Here's the trial and error thread on 311s. Brace yourself for maximum :corsair:

drukqs posted:

He was craptalking my MR2's viscous LSD last night "AWW THAT SUCKS" then grilled me about whether my car had actual multilink suspension

here are a couple of my san jose/santa clara friends several years back (2003ish) in your neck of the woods

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqVvNPnxaLs

Christ do I not miss that part. He once parked his EJ20 longmotor in my garage for 3 months "intending to fix it", because he blew a hole in a piston. Apparently the TD04 isn't meant to be pushed to 1.3 bar on stock internals and injectors. Who knew?

It's really likely that you all met me a long time ago - I would have been driving either a red 1989 Supercharged MR2, or a blue and silver 1982 Datsun 280ZX. I variously hung out with just about every group that was driving up in those hills. The MR2 guys are the craziest. There was one guy with a Twincharged 89 making like 600whp, but he got mad at us for "driving faster than he wanted to go". :v:

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

Alrighty, AI. I promised you tales of travel and now I'm here to deliver them.

I'll start with myself.

Diversions abound

Since the Roadster was clearly not going anywhere fast, I had to find other ways to scratch the itch. I got a long term loaner 68 1600 Roadster, which is more fun than anything I've ever driven.

I have automotive ADD something fierce, and I made a string of bad decisions. On a related note, if anyone wants a 1980 RX-7 LeatherSport or a 1978 Datsun 200SX, you can have them for free. The MR2 has long since been shot up in Oakland and sold for $1000. loving car was a nightmare anyways.

Velkommen Til Solvang

Solvang, California is a tiny Dutch Danish village inexplicably trapped in the surrounds of Santa Ynez. It's a beautiful little town, if a bit touristy.

It's also the site of the yearly Datsun Roadster Classic show, and the 2012 was the first year I attended. More than anything else, I think this trip solidified my hopes and dreams for the car, and caused me to finally nail down my guidelines (even if I do keep changing them today).

There were a lot of Roadsters.

I met up with Mike Young (who gave me the car), and updated him on my progress. He was amused.

I also got to take some pictures of his car (which routinely wins best in show). It's a 1967.5 car, and has the updates that Nissan intended to make before the US DOT forced them to take a hard left. The dash and gauge surrounds are black, the gauges are combined, and it has all of the later saftey updates. These are arguably the best version of the car to get, but I like the look of the early ones better.

Mike's car is also one of only very few with the competition package. 7qt finned aluminum oil pan, "B" cam, and dual Mikui Solex PHH44 carbs. (Excuse my thumb, I was excited)

There were some early 1500s, which have a neat dash and a :siren: sideways rear seat :siren:

There were racecars, bad decisions, amazing engine swaps, and even a 1200!

:wtc:

There were amazing wheels, which helped me make a decision I'd been trying to make.

But a few things stuck out to me. I had been mulling over my options for paint and interior, when I had my attention drawn to a little fact. Most Roadsters had a black interior, which is all well and good. White and black cars, however... got red.

Color me captivated. Those low back seats with lapbelts, and no rollbar? What great lines! A perfect choice, then, for the enterprising young hooligan with too much power and not enough brain.

Also, I noticed that the look of the Japanese cars is better. No bumper over-riders, and amber lenses for the turn signals.

After a full day of adventure and Datsuns, it was time for the long drive home, and time to make some other preparations.

Finishing touches... first

Around this time I finally got a valve cover, a timing cover, and some of the other odds and ends I had been missing. Inspired by some of the things I had seen at Solvang, I decided to spruce up the VC a bit.

Also, since I knew what was about to happen, I started the most regrettable thread ever on 311s. There's a lively debate about whether the 2000 or 1600 is a better car, but I was splitting the middle with the stroker motor.

So I did the dumbest thing I've ever done and asked an internet room full of crotchety old men whether my car should have 1600 or 2000 badging.

Ho. Lee. poo poo.

After learning a lot about life and a little about love, I decided to stop asking subjective questions to grumpy car people (except for you, AI).

And since I was splitting the difference anyways, I opted for the Japanese Fairlady badge, and nothing else. This was the first "appearance only" part I had bought, and it started a new avalanche of wallet destroying horror.

There's also a high likelihood of me putting these badges underneath, just to piss off the purists:

But I needed those badges right there and then, because it was time for the next phase of Datto-san's life.

Journey North, Young Datsun

Despite having been shot at, menaced, offered drugs, coerced into assisting drug dealing, and generally having a bad time there, the East Bay is kinda where it's at if you want good things done cheap.

I located a shop in the Concord called Black Dog Customs, and called him about my car. I'll skip ahead a bit to say that Matt is an absolute beast, a pleasure to work with, and he does a goddamn excellent job.

First, I decided to really enrage the purists by using a late model apron, which has larger cooling ducts. Mine was all hosed up anyhow.

The body is a little bigger than the frame, so it had to go on the flatbed.

Once we arrived, we did some inventive dollying to get 'er in.

Next to Matt's Ford Galaxie and some of his other American land yachts, the Datsun looked hilariously small.

Matt laughed, and told me that it would be easy and cheap to paint. I was a little :ohdear:, but the shop was 20 minutes from my college, and I could always go check on her if I got anxious.

I turned my attentions to getting the frame rolling, which was going to involve some unknowns regarding... brake lines, rear brakes, and other fun tasks. Also, I had a transmission to investigate in the worst possible way.

Edit:

ironblock fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 21, 2013

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

:f5: All loving day

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

ironblock posted:

Velkommen Til Solvang

Solvang, California is a tiny Dutch village inexplicably trapped in the surrounds of Santa Ynez. It's a beautiful little town, if a bit touristy.

:argh: :denmark:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Yeah that place is so Danish it hurts.

If it were Dutch they'd have figured out some way to engineer a way to cause a horrendous flood with their precious bicycles and then bought into some kind of ridiculous flower-based hysteria.

Mechanical updates are one thing but I cannot wait to see how painful the bodywork is...

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Yeah that place is so Danish it hurts.

WHOOPS. I completely fat-fingered that one. I even had the Wiki open in the next tab... :downs:

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Mechanical updates are one thing but I cannot wait to see how painful the bodywork is...

Even today, the saga isn't quite over... but like I said, Matt is a beast.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I'm loving this thread so far. I've got a project of my own going at the moment (not a Datsun) that I'm tackling in a similar fashion to you. It' s nice to see things from another perspective.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

quote:

haha IronBlock is as dramatic as always.
Well, if you get a chance, tell him <goofy tall fuzzy haired guy> says hi, and to hit me up if he's ever back in the hood.
tell him I still remember In-n-out fondly, he'll know what it means.
Thanks drukqs!

INTERWEBS REUNION!! REKINDLE THE LOVE STORY FELLAS

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

drukqs posted:

INTERWEBS REUNION!! REKINDLE THE LOVE STORY FELLAS

Oh jesus. He's referencing the time we both ordered two 4x4s, a fries, and a chocolate shake (each). I seem to recall that he ate both his 4x4s and drank his shake... but I finished his fries.

Oh to be 17 again in :ca:...

MoofOntario
Jan 10, 2007

To Maintain the System the Abusive Power is Sometimes Necessary
-Pappa Brittle

ironblock posted:

Oh jesus. He's referencing the time we both ordered two 4x4s, a fries, and a chocolate shake (each). I seem to recall that he ate both his 4x4s and drank his shake... but I finished his fries.

And to think you could only get through one 4x4 our last Vegas trip. Man it sucks to be old :(

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Amazing work so far!

Poisonlizard posted:

I would drive the poo poo out of this. Didn't they make an LD28T for some markets?

Not that I know of, but there have been a few built!

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

<Goofy Tall Fucker>: Bahaha those were good times. I can barely eat a single 4x4 these days. Well, glad he's still kicking around, my appetite isn't what it used to be, but I'm glad some things never change!

drukqs:So... Bromance restored? Can i go meddle in somebody elses personal business
now?

<Goofy Tall Fucker>: lol
you make the world a small place drukqs

drukqs: hehe

<Goofy Tall Fucker>:
your meddling is appreciated though
IronBlock's an alright kid
you'd like him if you met him
he used to drive a supercharged mk1 mr2 also
part of the mid engine brotherhood lol

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Sweet chatlog, bro

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Please, relish us all with further tales of your internet frolicking.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Looks like you're... caught in a rad bromance.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

yeah I'll stop posting that boolshit sorry all!

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

ironblock posted:

On a related note, if anyone wants a 1980 RX-7 LeatherSport ... you can have them for free.

ohhhh

I had an '80 LS... in black. With louvers, natch.

Traded it in when it would no longer pass smog.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Oh man, how did I not see this thread for so long? This is beautiful.

ironblock posted:

So I did the dumbest thing I've ever done and asked an internet room full of crotchety old men whether my car should have 1600 or 2000 badging.

Ho. Lee. poo poo.

After learning a lot about life and a little about love, I decided to stop asking subjective questions to grumpy car people (except for you, AI).

And since I was splitting the difference anyways, I opted for the Japanese Fairlady badge, and nothing else. This was the first "appearance only" part I had bought, and it started a new avalanche of wallet destroying horror.

Really piss 'em off. Put 1600 badges on one side/end and 2000 badges on the other, but make sure you can't see any mismatched badging from any one angle.

Bet it takes even the spergiest greybeard a couple minutes of looking at the car to notice.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

And a modern Nissan badge on the steering wheel.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
When I clicked "5": "We threw your vote into the pile."

I can only imagine :allears:

A buddy of mine is a Nissan Master Tech and loves old Nissan Datsuns. I showed him this thread and he told me to leave the shop and that he needed some alone time :v:

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

loving gently caress.

This has been the worst couple weeks of my life. My weak Californian body is hugely susceptible to weird tropical diseases in Cayman, and I caught some horrible bacterial tonsillitis thing that kept me in bed for the better part of last week. Not a great place for me to be, since I'm on a tiny development team building a huge website that's launching in a month.

kastein posted:

Really piss 'em off. Put 1600 badges on one side/end and 2000 badges on the other, but make sure you can't see any mismatched badging from any one angle.

Bet it takes even the spergiest greybeard a couple minutes of looking at the car to notice.

I can't do this because it would cause me to have sadness seizures when approaching the car. And because I've already done something else.

That's enough crying about my various maladies. You came here for the Datsuns, and I got the Datsuns.

Seeing is believing

It wasn't long before Matt started texting me pictures of the car, teasing me with its naughty, naughty exposed metal and a shitload of rust/bondo.

There were some fairly dramatic improvements, right off the bat.

One of the worst rust spots on the car was the bottom of the rear right quarterpanel, where some animal or another had clogged the drain hole with detritus from its pathetic life.

We also discovered a shitload of horrible bondo repair on what's essentially a big flat panel. Previous owner repairs never make any sense :psyduck:

The late model front apron went on without a hitch.

The rear panel was very obviously going to be the worst, and I had neither the frame or a bumper as a guide for Matt. This would later prove to be a bad idea, but still, there was some progress... and some popped welds where the trunk floor decided to part company with the rear panel.

This was also the beginning of the ballistic and inter-continental parts of the resto-mod. I was in Oakland, the body was in Concord, and the rest of it was in La Honda.

And back at the ol' homestead, there was work to be done.

gently caress you, steering rack

There are very few parts of very few cars that deserve special design condemnation, but the steering rack on the Datsun Roadster is one of them. It's a simple linkage, but all of the parts are incredibly tight fit, held in with castle nuts, and have about seven zerk fittings each. Getting it apart involves bodily contortion, six or so hands each holding pickle forks and hammers, and the blessing of a loving god.

I had about half the list getting it apart, and maybe one of those things putting it back together. At least I painted it first.

I also went ahead and replaced the boots with polyurethane, because the only place rubber belongs in my car is wrapped around the wheels before I smoke it off. :getin:

Also, new zerks everywhere on the car, because greasy car is best car. I don't have a lot of pictures of this process, because I was in a blind rage, and Helpful Dog was licking my face while I was yelling at the linkage. Sometimes you just want the madness to end. :smithicide:

But the madness keeps on going

This is about the time that I decided to take apart the transmission.

It coincides almost perfectly with me hating everything about anything, forever.

Earlier in the thread, I posted:

The early years were rough for this design. 5th gear was not splined, and it was held on by a single nut, with no lockwasher, second nut, or anything to keep that gear from flying off - so it did. By the middle of '69, Nissan had figured out that this was going to be a problem, and switched to a splined 5th gear with two nuts.

:ohdear:

:gonk:

So, that happened.

Somewhere in this transmission's seedy past, it was rebuilt, and rather than shell out money for the new 5th gear and the double nut arrangement, the nut was helpfully welded on!

So the bad news was that I'd have to grind off that weld and do a bunch of other onerous bullshit if I wanted to rebuild the transmission... the good news was that it shifted fine, and someone else had already hosed with it.

I continued to disassemble it, though, for reasons related to cleaning and discovering condition.

First, I covered my workbench in gear oil.

I made more soup (and finally got some goddamn Marine Clean).

Next, I removed all the casings and got down to brass steel tacks.

To my admittedly untrained eye, everything with the transmission seemed to be in really good shape. It was tight, the shift action was smooth, there was very little play in anything, and the syncros and bearings looked nicer and newer than the metal around them. So... not smoking, run it.

And now that the casings were clean, I decided to take it one step further, and paint/clear them. This was one of those peace of mind things, and based mostly on how loving porous the casting was on the whole case. I decided that any dirt in the future should have no place to glom.

I ordered some new Nissan gaskets from a friend at a dealership, and got this as my receipt:

At some point, I found a (mega-rare) water pump for my Roadster, and installed that with some painted pulleys. These can be seen next to the reassembled transmission.

Paint me like one of your French Datsuns

Despite the condensed nature of this post, I actually spent a loooooong time fiddlefucking with that transmission, and while I was Gojo-ing gear oil out of my hair, Matt was hard at work cutting pieces of my body up and spraying the rest with surfacer. This can be seen as kind of the first pass, and a way to tell where the high and low spots were - since there was no way we could tell through that technicolor nightmare.

German surprises

If you remember, I ended up with a spare U20 crankshaft. That's the kind of rare and unobtainable part that you just can't put a price on.

So I did what you do in that situation, and traded it for another rare and unobtainable part.

I was, truthfully, never happy with the KYB Gas-A-Justs. I've had them on other cars, and they're mediocre at best. And for the speeds I wanted to go, there was really only one way to fly: giant monotube shocks designed for other cars.

Bilstein US posted:

According to the Bilsteinus website we dont make shocks for your application. The front shock is of a 60s Volvo and the rear shock is of a 60s Alfa Romero spider. Shocks must be similar in length and the vehicles are similar in weight. Not the first time we have seen Bilsteins on a non-standard application.

Yeah, that should do nicely.

This is getting out of hand

Another problem I had with the 5 speed swap is that, yeah, I had a U20 flywheel... but... heavy.

I decided that the best way to make friends and confuse enemies was with the lightest possible flywheel, which ended up being another Nismo reproduction part.

What you're looking at here is a 9.5lb AASCO aluminum flywheel with a replaceable friction surface.

And a mystery!

Since you guys seem to love/hate mysteries, I'll close with this.

I got a box. From Japan. There are some things in it. Go.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
that really looks like a rim. Love how this is going though. And gently caress PO's

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

There is a small part of me wishing it could be the 15x15's off of holdbrook's bosozoku truck. Also, same, guessing a set of rims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It's the world's shortest barrel of gear oil.

• Locked thread