Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

El Hefe posted:

I really don't care for Forza's wacky liveries, 'oh boy your pink Focus has a dildo on its roof how hilarious'.

It's way more then that, you're seriously missing out. Yeah there is a lot of whacky low effort poo poo, but there is also a ton of really amazing and talented liveries out there too. Gran Turismo not having this feature is a negative for the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

El Hefe posted:

I really don't care for Forza's wacky liveries, 'oh boy your pink Focus has a dildo on its roof how hilarious'.

On the other hand, people have created awesome vintage paint schemes for cars and all kinds of awesome poo poo, and in fact, racing-inspired liveries are almost always what I see online on pubby cars. Custom liveries do matter a lot to me and I have one for all 250+ cars I have in Forza 4.

There's no reason for it not to be in GT6, although I'd like a better system because making anything in Forza's livery editor is a bitch.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

El Hefe posted:

as others mentioned, it's not that, it's racing liveries inspired by real cars that actually raced for just about any street car that's in the game. in Forza 3 I used racing-style liveries for everything, or did 'street-stock' type of thing with a couple small logos as if the car was club racing. There's vinyls for most every state license plate as well. yeah there's a lot of garbage, but there is absolutely amazing work on there given the limitations of the editor. I don't see it as anything but a plus.

oh and then Monster Energy liveries for everything as well inexplicably.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I hope the car sounds that's meant to come later are actual recordings this time and not some cheap poo poo like recording it on a dyno. An engine under load sounds way different to an engine on a dyno.

Has ANY game ever come close to this? (which I downloaded and converted to 5.1 surround sound and oh my god)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecJ8Hp4EDMY

[edit] Doppler shift, echo, and reverb of the engines as they approach, go past, then as it goes into the distance bouncing off the trees is much more complex than "record engine note, change pitch to simulate different rpm's"

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Nov 15, 2013

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Ak Gara posted:

I hope the car sounds that's meant to come later are actual recordings this time and not some cheap poo poo like recording it on a dyno. An engine under load sounds way different to an engine on a dyno.

Has ANY game ever come close to this? (which I downloaded and converted to 5.1 surround sound and oh my god)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecJ8Hp4EDMY

[edit] Doppler shift, echo, and reverb of the engines as they approach, go past, then as it goes into the distance bouncing off the trees is much more complex than "record engine note, change pitch to simulate different rpm's"
I could listen to this all freaking day. :swoon:

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

harperdc posted:

as others mentioned, it's not that, it's racing liveries inspired by real cars that actually raced for just about any street car that's in the game. in Forza 3 I used racing-style liveries for everything, or did 'street-stock' type of thing with a couple small logos as if the car was club racing. There's vinyls for most every state license plate as well. yeah there's a lot of garbage, but there is absolutely amazing work on there given the limitations of the editor. I don't see it as anything but a plus.

oh and then Monster Energy liveries for everything as well inexplicably.

Ok ok I don't care for it because I have no imagination. :colbert:

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Speaking of imagination, Mercedes has teased their Vision GT car.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/11/15/first-gran-turismo-6s-vision-gran-turismo-car-teased-by-mercedes-benz/

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Oh this is nice, I didn't realize that this Vision GT thing was prototype cars.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

That looks really good! Like a newer more aquiline SLS AMG.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

They probably don't have liveries in Gran Turismo because of RAM limitations, and not anything like Polyphony refusing to include them.

The PS4 version of GT6 has been practically confirmed, right? I wonder if it will just be a bare-bones port, or if there will be any new features, like day/night/weather on every track, or 32 cars per race.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

That loving Sned posted:

They probably don't have liveries in Gran Turismo because of RAM limitations, and not anything like Polyphony refusing to include them.

The PS4 version of GT6 has been practically confirmed, right? I wonder if it will just be a bare-bones port, or if there will be any new features, like day/night/weather on every track, or 32 cars per race.

No, it hasn't been confirmed at all.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I think the lack of liveries is more a case of them pushing the PS3 incredibly hard as it is already. It's worth remembering that GT5 and GT6 run at a very high native resolution (not quite 1080p, but still much higher than 720p) while striving for 60fps, 16 cars on track, dynamic weather and dynamic time of day, and trying to work custom liveries on top of all of that would likely be a complete nightmare.

I think that they've tried as well, since years ago Kazunori outlined a list of features he wanted to integrate into GT and one of the bullet points was custom liveries. He's managed to integrate most of the other points on the list if I recall correctly, but liveries has remained elusive. The guy definitely wants to integrate them into GT though, I think he's just prioritized features such as weather, night racing and a course creator over them, which is fair enough I think. I'm fully expecting a custom livery system to be integrated when they push out a GT game on PS4.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

That loving Sned posted:

They'll probably just go straight to 7. This is what Kazunori Yamauchi has said:

quote:

“The PlayStation 4′s large memory size is a unique trait,” he said, “but in terms of CPU performance, the PS3′s Cell chip, while difficult to handle, is really capable. They both have different advantages. Besides, I think the online community aspect, one of the most fun parts of GT, doesn’t have anything to do with the platform.

The PlayStation 4 game which we’ll likely call GT7 will be done in about a year or two, I think, and I think the community aspect’s going to be vital there as well.”

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

:wow:

http://blog.mercedes-benz-passion.com/2013/11/mercedes-benz-amg-vision-gran-turismo-virtuelle-realitaet/ (German)
http://www.netcarshow.com/mercedes-benz/2013-vision_gran_turismo_concept/

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

That thing looks like a melted Aston Martin.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I hope those wheels can be changed out, they are hideous.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I'm assuming "premium" cars have the fully modeled interior/high poly count and the standard cars are...not?

I haven't played GT since 4 :v:

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
That's one ugly car.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

El Hefe posted:

That's one ugly car.

Except for the wheels, I like it, even if it's fairly derivative.:shobon:

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Too much chrome, maybe with a different livery...

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

El Hefe posted:

Too much chrome, maybe with a different livery...

...heavily modified suspension with max toe-in and camber, giant front and rear spoilers, carbon fiber hood...

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Previa_fun posted:

I'm assuming "premium" cars have the fully modeled interior/high poly count and the standard cars are...not?

I haven't played GT since 4 :v:

Pretty much. Essentially, "Premium" cars are cars built for the PS3 versions, and standard cars are more or less rips from GT4.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Paint it black and this is what a German Batmobile would look like.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
why does it have five fuel filler caps at different points of the body??

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

JFairfax posted:

why does it have five fuel filler caps at different points of the body??

It is taking cues from tractor trailers.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
Since we don't have a GT5 thread anymore...

I decided to test my new audio system with a few laps around Daytona in the X2011. Something didn't sound right, so I went into the settings and found that I was still using the default modes. Changed them to 'Large Theater' mode, went back to the round, and when I lost control and hit a wall at 300MPH my roommate thought there was a gas leak explosion nearby :mmmsmug:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Drunk Badger posted:

Since we don't have a GT5 thread anymore...

I decided to test my new audio system with a few laps around Daytona in the X2011. Something didn't sound right, so I went into the settings and found that I was still using the default modes. Changed them to 'Large Theater' mode, went back to the round, and when I lost control and hit a wall at 300MPH my roommate thought there was a gas leak explosion nearby :mmmsmug:

Now if we can just get that without needing to have a surround sound system, cause other racing games do this just fine.

Also it's okay to talk about other Gran Turismo games in here.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

That grill is ugly as gently caress. Goddamn.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
It reminds me of why I don't like the Ferrari F50. It's like it's got some kinda weird bubble inflation disease.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
So they announced the pre-order bonuses for the digital purchase of Euro GT6, and in the release there is this:

quote:

In addition, from launch at retail you’ll find a new option for building your ultimate fantasy car collection in-game credits will be purchasable through PS Store or your friendly local retailer at the following denominations: 500K, 1 million, 2.5 million or 7 million credits which you’ll be able to apply in-game for cars and parts.
:barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Nope nope nope nope, not okay Polyphony Digital.

Did you see anything about the download size for GT6?

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

I said come in! posted:

Nope nope nope nope, not okay Polyphony Digital.

Did you see anything about the download size for GT6?

http://www.gtplanet.net/gt6-digital-download/

Looks like it'll be 15GB

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

That's not bad! I was expecting something in the 30gb range. I might buy the digital version now.

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

It's supposed to take up 30GB or so once it's installed. At least that's the estimate.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I hate to go against the hivemind, but i don't mind the OPTION of buying more credits. There were times in both GT5 and Forza 4 (which, as we should remember, had an equivalent system with Car Tokens) that I would basically just be grinding money to buy some very expensive car (it was the Shelby Daytona in FM4, as I recall). I guess we need to see the pricing structure first for both cars and the credit packs, but I don't think its a bad idea for people like myself who don't have tons of time to play and don't mind occasionally micropurchasing specific content. I can see how it looks like (and is, undoubtedly) nickel-and-diming from Polyphony/Sony though. I guess I just have a different opinion than most folks. But what do I know, I bought the Time is Money pack for Skate 3.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

projecthalaxy posted:

I hate to go against the hivemind, but i don't mind the OPTION of buying more credits. There were times in both GT5 and Forza 4 (which, as we should remember, had an equivalent system with Car Tokens) that I would basically just be grinding money to buy some very expensive car (it was the Shelby Daytona in FM4, as I recall). I guess we need to see the pricing structure first for both cars and the credit packs, but I don't think its a bad idea for people like myself who don't have tons of time to play and don't mind occasionally micropurchasing specific content. I can see how it looks like (and is, undoubtedly) nickel-and-diming from Polyphony/Sony though. I guess I just have a different opinion than most folks. But what do I know, I bought the Time is Money pack for Skate 3.

My issue is that they now have an incentive to not make it easy to get money in the game. You are looking at it like I'll gladly pay a little extra to quickly get credits, whereas I would look at it like why don't they just make it easier to get credits?

edit: regardless, I don't really care because I am a skinner box whore and will grind the gently caress out of this game

abagofcheetos fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 18, 2013

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

abagofcheetos posted:

My issue is that they now have an incentive to not make it easy to get money in the game. You are looking at it like I'll gladly pay a little extra to quickly get credits, whereas I would look at it like why don't they just make it easier to get credits?

That's certainly a valid point, and I agree with you, making credits more plentiful would certainly be the best answer. However, since they don't seem to want to do that, I'm glad that there is some system in place as a sort of stopgap. Best way to do it, I would think, as other games have done, but GT5 didn't, is to have all the content pre-unlocked (if restricted to stock) in quick race/multiplayer, but then have the credits allow you to customize and paint cars in career. That way you can test drive everything and decide what to put your credits into. Plus B-Spec is handy for this when you can just cram a little AI man in the X2011 and have him go make money while you switch inputs and watch television.

I'm sure they have some reason for making some cars require a 10 hour grind just to unlock, like being able to go back to the board and say, "see everyone plays career mode for 30 hours and/or buys all the DLC credit packs, its a good ROI". I dunno, I'm not in the game monetization business.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

abagofcheetos posted:

So they announced the pre-order bonuses for the digital purchase of Euro GT6, and in the release there is this:

:barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:

Meh this is probably the same thing as in GTA: Online, you don't HAVE to buy the fun bucks only desperate people that have to have everything right this minute are going to buy that.

Also great news about it being a 15GB download, I'm definitely buying it digital.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I REALLY don't understand how they don't have even a basic PS4 port of this. This will probably be the first gran turismo i skip because of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Powershift posted:

I REALLY don't understand how they don't have even a basic PS4 port of this. This will probably be the first gran turismo i skip because of it.

Why? You sold your ps3 or you refuse to play it because it isn't on ps4 for whatever reason?

• Locked thread