Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

So I went ahead and got with the times four years ago and made a Twitter: @dish_sa. Follow if you like painfully unfunny jokes and opinionated life advice. And since you're reading this thread, I know you do!

Dr. Buttass posted:

Also also: it's pronounced "eye-biss". It's a kind of bird that actually exists and is a pretty big deal in Egyptian mythology.

Forgot to say earlier, but thanks! I should probably stare at Wikipedia for a few hours or something so it's not as shameful.

AriadneThread posted:

That actually looks kind of fun.

Video Games: they actually look kind of fun.

Action Tortoise posted:

That song reminds me of the Istanbul song.

That's what it was! I knew there was something it reminded me of...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
The game has an item that's pretty much the FF6 "Kill Everything" exploit.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Alien Arcana posted:

Ra is... also the Egyptian sun god! Egyptian mythology was around for a pretty long time, and some of the deities were split off or merged for various reasons. (I mean, they didn't do the fusion dance or something. The religion itself split and recombined at various points, and the different branches came up with variations that had to be reconciled later on.) The Eye of Ra is probably a reference to a story where Horus lost an eye in a fight with his uncle Set, and got it replaced with a magical eye. If you've ever seen an "Egyptian" eye symbol, that's the Eye of Horus.
Horus got his own back against Set, but I'm reasonably certain that no one wants to hear the one about Set and the Lettuce Leaves.

If I recall correctly, depending on which mythology you follow (since, as mentioned, there's a LOT of it due to existing for so long) Set was an outsider among the gods who showed up. He's the dude sitting on the front of Ra's boat ready to beat in the face of Apep (?) the evil snake when it tries to eat the sun.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
The Pokemon thing was sort of an interesting mechanic but I wish they'd implemented it a little better. There are only like three monsters with any kind of utility, the rest of them, there's no point in catching them except for completion's sake. I think you might get some kind of minor reward if you fill up the monster section of the museum but you can clearly see what kind of impact it had on me.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Man, that's one hell of a side-effect. :psyduck: I mean, it is called a Dark Stone and therefore is obviously of sinister origins... but still, wow.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Yapping Eevee posted:

Man, that's one hell of a side-effect. :psyduck: I mean, it is called a Dark Stone and therefore is obviously of sinister origins... but still, wow.

May cause diarrhea, dryness of the mouth, and :black101: INSTANT DEATH :black101:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Instant Grat posted:

May cause diarrhea, dryness of the mouth, and :black101: INSTANT DEATH :black101:

But they'll never find the body because it'll be Invisible!

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

So did you scan in the map? Curious whether it's actually clear and/or useful.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'm actually busy packing for a move, so I don't have access to my scanner, and I completely forgot to scan it in beforehand.

That said, it's a map of Heliopolis, which we really haven't even begun to explore, so it's not too relevant right now. I'll post a scanned version when we've actually seen most of these locations.

I won't have a gameplay update this coming Friday, but I have a plan for a bonus update.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Grat and I actually recorded commentary on Friday, but I didn't have time to edit and upload it. The videos are on the computer in my new apartment, where I won't have internet for a bit, so this LP will have to go on a small hiatus until that's all hooked up. My target date is to have a video out by next Friday.

In the mean time, have a :siren: BONUS UPDATE :siren:

Making Of

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
I'll tell you why it seems weird, the narrator thought he was recording a promo, not the world's least informative "making of".

The thing that always got me about that little video is that they showed off a bunch of locations and a couple enemies and characters that don't actually appear in the final game. It sort of reinforced the impression I got that they planned ahead of time for this to be a trilogy or something. I wonder, did it just not make enough money or what?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Dr. Buttass posted:

The thing that always got me about that little video is that they showed off a bunch of locations and a couple enemies and characters that don't actually appear in the final game. It sort of reinforced the impression I got that they planned ahead of time for this to be a trilogy or something. I wonder, did it just not make enough money or what?

A quick glance at wikipedia says it sold rather poorly.

The stuff in the making of, is probably just cut content - maybe they just didn't work properly in the final game, or they didn't have time to implement or connect stuff the way they wanted - who knows.

I used to see this game all the time on the pre-owned shelf, but something else would always catch my eye - shame really, it's looking pretty fun so far.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
The background music track of the video is actually slightly different from the actual game, so this was a promo using pre-release assets. All games have unfinished and cut parts due to time and budget constraints, and you can usually tell the exact point during development where they just had to "get it done". This game is no different.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

It's weird, I could have sworn I played this game as a rental, but I remember almost *none* of this stuff.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Hey Dish what's the status on the moratorium, when am I allowed to talk about Okami again

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Pesky Splinter posted:

The stuff in the making of, is probably just cut content - maybe they just didn't work properly in the final game, or they didn't have time to implement or connect stuff the way they wanted - who knows.

True, but I meant more that they looked like they were planning something bigger overall. I mean if I were making a sequel I'd try to work in stuff that didn't work in the first game. Might as well use it somewhere if you can.

Anyway you'll see what I mean about planning a sequel later in the LP.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

ArkhamPraetor
Sep 11, 2011
So does the shield just not help at all with the teleporting laser guys?

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Nah. It's one of the game's failings, the zombie teleport laser eyes of Ra the mighty Sun God who hates you and likes to watch your frustration are just literally an arbitrary wall with no purpose other than to pad out the game a little by resetting your attempts to get from point A to point B.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

ArkhamPraetor posted:

So does the shield just not help at all with the teleporting laser guys?

Are you talking about the teleporting guys that shoot lasers, or the guys that shoot teleporting lasers?

Either way, the answer is "No".

I'm just bad at playing defensively in general (I only use my shield very occasionally in Zelda, too), but the Red Cyclops dudes we saw in the cursed palace mostly just teleport when you're about to hit them, and then shoot their lasers by surprise off-camera. It takes less time to try to dodge than to spin the right way and block.

And if you're talking about the teleporting lasers, even though there's a teleporting laser in the first dungeon that you can get by with the shield, Eyes of Ra don't follow the same rules.

Thankfully, you get rid of them fairly early on, so we won't be seeing them for the rest of the game.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
There isn't Lock-on targeting in this game, is there? That's the only reason why blocking and projectiles are so effective in Zelda.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Action Tortoise posted:

There isn't Lock-on targeting in this game, is there? That's the only reason why blocking and projectiles are so effective in Zelda.

Unless I haven't found the button for it, which is very possible, no it doesn't.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
Really enjoying this so far. Kind of wish I'd gotten this as a wee tot when I had the chance. Especially since I was a Zelda fanatic, and most of the other adventure style games available to me were not as good.

P.S. I thought of a great word for "un-pick-upable." Plordant.

Danger-Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 8, 2013

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

P.S. I thought of a great word for "un-pick-upable." Plordant.

Plordant is now canon.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Sorry about my mic in this one. It will be fixed in the next video. Hopefully you can enjoy the best minigame in the entire world, though.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

That last minigame. Wow.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
:aaa: Okay, that was pretty sweet. You could probably make some little Portal-esque game out of just that.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Rad to watch but I remember that being a bitch and a half to actually play.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

You can play Chrono Trigger on the Nintendo DS! It's a remake with a lovely side-quest tacked on to it and a few not-so-lovely dungeons. It does try to make the Chrono Cross events canon towards the end, but you should just try to ignore that.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Hey, have you noticed that the last three video titles all end with 𝙽? What does it mean?

Dr. Buttass posted:

Rad to watch but I remember that being a bitch and a half to actually play.

No, it's actually really fun!

SSNeoman posted:

You can play Chrono Trigger on the Nintendo DS! It's a remake with a lovely side-quest tacked on to it and a few not-so-lovely dungeons. It does try to make the Chrono Cross events canon towards the end, but you should just try to ignore that.

I already promised my friends that I'll load up the Wii VC version and play through it.

Suspicious Dish fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Dec 14, 2013

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I think you're thinking of Frollo from Hunchback of Notre Dame when you compare the villain to a Disney character.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Ha, holy poo poo, it's uncanny! :haw:

And this is that really bad Marilyn Manson cover of Sweet Dreams.
That statue Tut got is very similar to the one that appears in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

For a budget game, the animations are pretty sweet.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 14, 2013

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Pesky Splinter posted:

And this is that really bad Marilyn Manson cover of Sweet Dreams.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Couldn't they put some monsters to patrol the castle? Using invisibility to evade those eye things looks tedious as hell.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Tut's invincible though. What would the monsters do differently, mechanically?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Instant Grat posted:

Tut's invincible though. What would the monsters do differently, mechanically?

Comically punt him out of the room, pick him up and toss him into an Ancient Egyptian Garbage Disposal (basketball style. If there are two monsters, they do a chest bump afterwards), Ancient Egyptian Laser him back to the beginning of the room, etc...

That's off the top of my head. They had options. Plus it would be a good early look at the Final Dungeon monsters so that when Sphinx inevitably meets them, killing them is cathartic for the player.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Oh man, I totally forgot about the prize! I'll pm you right away.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
WELL ACTUALLY Dish, if you were a real Bitcoiner you'd know that for every five Bitcoins you buy you get a free blowjob and a root beer float! Bitcoins have never been more stable and non-delusionally viable as a currency!

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Psh... Bitcoins are so over. Litecoins are the wave of the future, MAAAAAAN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

• Locked thread