Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Interesting.
I didn't know you could set ∩ as a youtube title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Those dogs at the beginning of the dungeon always kind of got me. Maybe I'm being too much of That Guy about dogs but bear with me:

First off, Boston terriers in a world without Boston.

Secondly, the game calls them "mummy chihuahua" when you capture them (with no Mexico even). Later, you'll find living chihuahuas. They're not chihuahuas either. They're bull terriers.

I'm trying to decide exactly what joke to make about this, or even if this is funny to anyone but me. No wait, I got it. What happened to their snouts. That's not how mummification works.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

That monster is definitely Crabhands. I realize it's difficult to tell with the font, but I'm certain it's a "C" there. Besides, they have hands like crab claws.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Since somebody will ask if I don't put this here, here's the goddamned eroge scene. It's not safe for work, I'd imagine because your boss does not like you using your company time to watch dumb anime videos, only dumb video game videos! There's no nudity or sex or anything dumb like that.

azren posted:

That monster is definitely Crabhands. I realize it's difficult to tell with the font, but I'm certain it's a "C" there. Besides, they have hands like crab claws.

I looked this up. The GameFAQs guide I'm following has it listed as "Grabhands", but the Prima Official Strategy Guide lists it as "Crabhands". Having a look on the menu, I think it's "Crabhands" as well.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah this looks like that one Wind Waker puzzle with the statues in that temple of the gods thing. Only this one is unbearable because you can't possess the statues.

Possessing statues was an awesome ability, I wish future Zeldas had more of it.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Possessing chickens in Twilight Princess just wasn't the same.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Dr. Buttass posted:

Possessing chickens in Twilight Princess just wasn't the same.

What about commanding statues in Twilight Princess? It's almost the same thing.
No, wait, I've got it! The gargoyle (can't remember his name) in Primal could possess statues and stuff. That game was actually fairly cool, iirc.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Sorry for taking so long with this one guys. I've been super busy with actual real work, and Grat has been busy with schoolwork. Next video will be coming out on Tuesday, and I hope to go to a one-video-a-week schedule after that.

I also hate this dungeon so much, and I'm so glad we don't have to do it anymore. It's all up from here, folks!

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Talk about lazy gendering, the girl dog-head anubis person thing just spent the whole time staring at her hand.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
I vaguely remember Starfox Adventures having an interesting take on the whole test of courage thing where you had to use the control stick to keep an icon in a moving area, but while you were doing so things would jump out to try and scare/surprise you so you mess up.
I remember it being complete bullshit, but at least it was something other than "have the courage to do this stealth mission" or "have the courage to defeat all these enemies".

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Zain actually just got past that part in his LP. It's not even "things jump out at you to scare you and make you mess up", it's literally just a non-scary cutscene that plays while the marker randomly jerks around and the only way to succeed is to learn the pattern and anticipate when it's going to freak the gently caress out. It is the opposite of fun.

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy
Having played both SFA and Sphinx when they both came out, I can say that while they both have good moments (Sphinx FAR more than SFA), they're lacking a certain...something when it comes to being an overall great adventure game. Now I think Sphinx is a fine game and all, but there's a certain spark that just isn't quite there.

SFA is a great example of how badly you can pull off normal adventure game mechanics, and I think Sphinx is an example of them done well, but not excellently.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
I think what Sphinx lacks is an over arching polish that just maybe a few more months in development would help out. Like man that pokemon sorta thing is totally cool. Sucks that only two of them are even useful, but then again if you made them all useful this would be a completely different game.

Initially I wanted to say love is what this game was missing, but more and more videos I'm convinced people did love making this game. So time has to be the key thing missing for this product to truly shine.

Zain fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 19, 2014

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That last line from the guard, "Good day to you, sir!" I can't not hear Willy Wonka saying it and it makes him seem like the smuggest rear end in a top hat.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

I'm terribly sorry for the delay. I don't have any excuse, other than I've just been working hard and also lazy. Grat and I have had scheduling difficulties for the past few weeks trying to record more. I do have a backup guest just in case everything goes sour.

Zain posted:

Initially I wanted to say love is what this game was missing, but more and more videos I'm convinced people did love making this game. So time has to be the key thing missing for this product to truly shine.

It's just a lack of time. It's clear that while they put all the heart and soul they could into it, they never got it to quite be the product they wanted it to come deadline, and just pushed it through without taking the last few months to do any polish work.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

So is there any use to the Medicine Bag after this quest to heal the mayor?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ometeotl posted:

So is there any use to the Medicine Bag after this quest to heal the mayor?

No, of course not.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Suspicious Dish posted:

No, of course not.

That's disappointing. From a game design standpoint, it sucks that they make you do a long gameplay segment where your reward amounts to a plotkey.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ometeotl posted:

That's disappointing. From a game design standpoint, it sucks that they make you do a long gameplay segment where your reward amounts to a plotkey.

What do you think we've been doing this entire time?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
For reasonable abstractation of the word, this is always the case.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
The fish in the mayor's moat looks like a lionfish.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Hijacking this post to test something.

Suspicious Dish fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Oct 20, 2014

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It sounds like you have the worst magical power ever.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
I think those canopic jars you've been reviving him with contain bits of His Very Immortal Soul (his ba? His ka? I forget my ancient Egyptian mythology). So he finds us poo poo we need to make progress, and in return, he gets to actually go to heaven when he dies for realsies. Unless he was a jerk, in which case he gets eaten.

So I mean, not a bad deal after all!

Kind of.

Mostly.

Better'n it could be anyway.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Dr. Buttass posted:

I think those canopic jars you've been reviving him with contain bits of His Very Immortal Soul (his ba? His ka? I forget my ancient Egyptian mythology). So he finds us poo poo we need to make progress, and in return, he gets to actually go to heaven when he dies for realsies. Unless he was a jerk, in which case he gets eaten.

So I mean, not a bad deal after all!

Kind of.

Mostly.

Better'n it could be anyway.

Technically the jars should contain his organs, which he will need back in order to go to the afterlife because you can't get into the afterlife if you don't have all your bits.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So... two conspirators fuse into a boss with one head?

Who gave up their head as part of that fusion?

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
I wanna say it's more like they were one demon to begin with and he transformed into two guys to try and hork the crown? I'm pretty sure I saw that in a cartoon once.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Suspicious Dish update the LP

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Instant Grat posted:

He's suffered the mummy's curse

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

AriadneThread posted:

Hope not, I've been really enjoying this LP.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I'll prod him next time I see him on Skype. We have at least a little bit of a backlog, so it's less Mummy's Curse and more a case of The Pork Lifts.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

AriadneThread posted:

That's great, now he can run into a weird knife trap to become three smaller versions of himself and triple his productivity!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Instant Grat posted:

ok.

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!
I went to funny.computer. I was not disappointed.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
This is the Tool track I was talking about FYI, upon reflection it probably does not actually count as a 'song'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htxZZKv4pMw

Atomikus posted:

Good life choice

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Instant Grat posted:

Good life choice

How is there so much fanart

azren
Feb 14, 2011

AriadneThread posted:

How is there so much fanart

It's almost like people liked the game, and wanted to do fanart because they liked the game.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
Oh man, that site.

Keep on sphinxing, Suspicious. I'm loving this LP.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Atomikus posted:

That's great. That's bananas. Dish, you're a genius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Dr. Buttass posted:

That's great. That's bananas. Dish, you're a genius.

Let's Play is finally art

• Locked thread