Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Y'know, you keep saying that Sphinx is taking advantage of Tut, but you're ignoring the fact that Sphinx is the only reason Tut isn't 100% dead and staying that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

senrath posted:

Y'know, you keep saying that Sphinx is taking advantage of Tut, but you're ignoring the fact that Sphinx is the only reason Tut isn't 100% dead and staying that way.

Life debts only count if you're actually alive.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Buttass posted:

Life debts only count if you're actually alive.

Tut seems to have more of a half-life debt, really. :downsrim:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

I miss this LP. :smith:

Me too.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
I have no idea why that dude thinks his girlfriend wouldn't like that lizard. I know if I was a girlfriend I would be totally into a goofy little lizard that makes weird noises. Like, for legit though. I'm not being comically sarcastic, I really would.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Dr. Buttass posted:

I have no idea why that dude thinks his girlfriend wouldn't like that lizard. I know if I was a girlfriend I would be totally into a goofy little lizard that makes weird noises. Like, for legit though. I'm not being comically sarcastic, I really would.

As long as the thing is adorable I'm pretty sure anyone's girlfriend would be all for a pet like that.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ah, minigames. I guess they're there because Ocarina of Time had them?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Glazius posted:

Ah, minigames. I guess they're there because Ocarina of Time had them?

Because they're a cheap way to add collectibles, money spending locations, and "insides of rooms" to any game.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
That was all kinds of outrageous.

I suppose you're expected to play through the game while the digging is going on, but there is no way the game is long enough to accomodate for it, yeah?

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Scribbleykins posted:

That was all kinds of outrageous.

I suppose you're expected to play through the game while the digging is going on, but there is no way the game is long enough to accomodate for it, yeah?

No, because the digging resets if you leave the area. You're stuck in that zone until they're done.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

I can't believe they required this in REAL TIME and you have to be on this part of the map? While I can overlook at lot of things in games, this just doesn't seem like it was playtested at all.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
I am like 90% certain that this is one of those things we were all talking about earlier in the thread where it's a love vs. time to complete it thing. Someone misplaced the decimal point in these guys' walk speed value and something that should have taken half an hour takes three and a half.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Inco posted:

No, because the digging resets if you leave the area. You're stuck in that zone until they're done.

Did anyone else's screen suddenly turn red?

No? Just me?

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
...Hang on, Glazius just reacted to something that wasn't part of an update post. That's unusual. Maybe they aren't some kind of LP-watching/reading bot after all.

Dr. Buttass posted:

I am like 90% certain that this is one of those things we were all talking about earlier in the thread where it's a love vs. time to complete it thing. Someone misplaced the decimal point in these guys' walk speed value and something that should have taken half an hour takes three and a half.

I hope this is the case, because the alternative is just stupid.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

This LP is pretty neat and I like it and Dish keeps fishing for complements on it. I'm still catching up, but as of ∩, there's still Skype noises going on.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Since Grat is offline and we haven't been able to record an episode for a while, I want to make a special bonus update to keep the thread alive. I'm deep figuring out this game's many secrets, and in the middle of the physics engine, I found this.

I feel vindicated in my word choices now.

Also, have some awesome concept art from the lead artist. We'll be seeing more of these places shortly, hopefully!

http://julianromeroart.com/gallery/professional/82

Suspicious Dish fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Aug 8, 2014

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Oh interesting. I didn't realize Sphinx was a literal sphinx at one point in development.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Most of that concept art is pretty amazing. I'm getting a 'funny cartoon movie' wibe from it, which makes me wish this game had been decent and popular enough to spawn a tie-in.

Kind of disappointed they didn't go for Sphinx being an actual sphinx. You could justify all kinds of weird platforming hijinks by the simple fact he can't open doors.

And to break tedium, occasionally give him a mascot/sidekick with opposable thumbs (or mitten-hands, in Tut's case).

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Suspicious Dish posted:

I feel vindicated in my word choices now.

Points deducted for not using "Non-plordant", Eurocom

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Scribbleykins posted:

Kind of disappointed they didn't go for Sphinx being an actual sphinx. You could justify all kinds of weird platforming hijinks by the simple fact he can't open doors.

We wouldn't have that sweet rope climbing animation though. So I guess it's fair.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Air is lava! posted:

We wouldn't have that sweet rope climbing animation though. So I guess it's fair.

Hang on, hang on, I can cover that. Put it on the monkey sidekick. Could even work it into Tut being turned into a macaque mummy through contrived traps!

I mean, come on. Obviously the climbing animation had to have been intended to be included with sphinx Sphinx SOMEHOW. That's half the basis of the game, right there. :colbert:

Scribbleykins fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 9, 2014

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
"Hey guys, how's the development going?"
"It's great. We already made a really smooth climbing anmation."
"Wait! the character is a cat like thing, but your animation is based on a human model."
"Aww drat! Should we start over?"
"Naah. The climbing does look really smooth, so let's just make that thing somewhat humanlike. Who cares?"

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
They even made a 3D model for him and everything.

http://www.solisworks.com/1993/10/more-images-eurocom-ltd-thq-2003.html

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Is there a reason that link keeps calling it a PS3 game?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Probably just a typo. His resume says PS2.... and also DS. I didn't realize there was a DS version of this game.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Gamefaqs doesn't have any listed. Maybe it was in the works for a short bit or something.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Some of that production art looks like it was borrowed from an animated Dark Crystal series.

With the game's love of physically abusing Tut, you'd think they could have weaseled in a way for Sphinx to go from cat to human. Blah blah Power of Bast blah blah secret tunnels. It writes itself.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
I wanna say the button designs are beetles. Lotta beetles have those big bat wings in Egyptian art.

Also, I have a gameplay secret: You can use electrical armadillos like you do fire ones, but I honestly can't remember if there are any puzzles revolving around them. You can just tell they put this mechanic through its paces, can't you? I can't decide if the game would be better off having excised the Pokemon mechanic entirely, or giving more of the animals gameplay applications.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Why do I get the impression that the Geb Queen is a good person and the short rear end in a top hat who welcomed us is planning on pointing us at her like a big unguided missile, i.e. a protagonist?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
If anyone else wants Sphinx's death screams as a text message alert, here it is

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

This game really is the Dark Souls of Legend of Zelda clones... IF you think about it.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

If this is the Dark Souls of Zelda clones, then Okami is the...Wonderful 101 of Zelda clones.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Great Joe posted:

If this is the Dark Souls of Zelda clones, then Okami is the...Wonderful 101 of Zelda clones.

The Wonderful 101 is the Viewtiful Joe of Bayonetta clones

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Complaining about N64 games being too dark even though it's just perfect.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Hey.

Hey Dish.

Hey.

I watch your LP.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm sure that in that mantis queen's simple, yet beautiful, native language she was being a proper boss fight, all going "HARD TO AVOID... AREA ATTACK!" and such.

also, long a

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Glazius posted:

also, long a

You let me down, G-man :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008