Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

IMB posted:

Are we worried that there's no release date or new info yet?

Not really. It sucks that the game likely won't be released in early March like it typically is, but if the game is behind schedule then I'd rather see it delayed instead of being rushed out with a shitload of bugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown
On the Operation Sports Forums there's been rumblings that we're going to get info on the PS4 version soon. I guess some of the developers have already started to tweet to 'stay tuned with new info coming soon'. The rumor is Tuesday so the wait might be coming to an end.

I've been waiting to buy a PS4 specifically for The Show and I'm beyond excited to see how this game looks.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
We're getting a huge info dump this Thursday, including release date.

con
Aug 5, 2004

There's always next year...
Yeah PSNation will have their preview posted at 10AM EST tomorrow when the embargo is lifted. I imagine SCEA will have their own blog post up along with whoever else was at the event that was held by Sony earlier this week where they previewed The Show and other games like The Order and Second Son.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
PS3 version out April 1, PS4 out in May

Here is a trailer but it is all PS3 stuff which looks the same as always
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Phn9g06_bRA

e: Here is the PSNation article: http://www.psnation.com/2014/02/13/mlb-14-the-show-hands-on-report/

quote:

- The crowds in the PS3 version were comprised of about 42 different models, so you will still see some copies out there. Now, since the PS4 has much more power, the crowd is made up of over 1,000 unique models. Each crowd model is made up of the same polygon count of a baseball player in the PS3 version of the game (and they’ve even included kids into the crowd now).

- Crowd members will now catch foul balls and be able to reach over and grab fouls that roll by. They’ll also hold signs up, and those signs will be contextual. So if a player starts heating-up, you’ll probably see some fans rooting him on in this manner. Furthermore (this is for the Operation Sports crew) the Pitcher can now pick up the rosin bag and throw it back down.

- Finally, they’ve added Bat & Ball boys and girls.

GOOD TIMES ON METH fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Feb 13, 2014

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

May? I hope I can hold out.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

quote:

Furthermore (this is for the Operation Sports crew) the Pitcher can now pick up the rosin bag and throw it back down.
they just sold another copy

quote:

Also, something that has been asked for in what seems like forever, when MLB 15 The Show comes out next year, you’ll be able to transfer your save file to the new version and simply continue on, and that’s not all. If you stay with the PS3 version this year, and wait until MLB 15 The Show to upgrade to PS4, that save will transfer as well. This makes MLB The Show the only sports franchise in video games to offer a feature like this, and it is HUGE!
fffffuuuuuuucccccckkkkkkk yyyyeeeeeeessssssss

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

This game is pretty much the only reason I'm buying a PS4 this year. Can't freaking wait.

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."
May :qq:

I hope I can keep myself from buying the PS3 version to hold me over until PS4 is released

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Carlton Banks posted:

May :qq:

I hope I can keep myself from buying the PS3 version to hold me over until PS4 is released

oh my god may :cry:

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
May isint that bad.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

davecrazy posted:

May isint that bad.

The Vita version will tide me over until then (translated: I'll give up all the homers on the bus to work because you cannot pitch on a bus)

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

If rosters are cross compatible between PS3 and PS4 then May is perfect. I always buy The Show at launch and then regret it after it sits unplayed for a month while I wait for the minor league rosters.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Dubious posted:

The Vita version will tide me over until then (translated: I'll give up all the homers on the bus to work because you cannot pitch on a bus)

That's basically my plan.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

quote:

- Crowd members will now catch foul balls and be able to reach over and grab fouls that roll by.

- Finally, they’ve added Bat & Ball boys and girls.

WHY IS THIS SO EXCITING

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Monicro posted:

WHY IS THIS SO EXCITING

It always kind of broke my immersion when you'd hit a fly ball and the ball would land in the stands and bounce about 50 feet in the air. Kind of stupid, but I'm glad they're changing that. And hopefully getting rid of that stupid animation where a guy reaches over the fence and falls onto the field every time while the ball rolls right through him. I'm also looking forward to see Colby Ramsus' beauty in PS4 goodness.

I don't mind it coming out in May. That way I can jump right into a franchise game without having to start a new one a month after release when rosters come out.

Looking forward to another goon league as well so I can bullshit my way through with Dickey and then give up an assload of dingers to Monicro.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Hopefully it finishes this time, I was on my way to a world series :colbert:

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

People just stopped playing games last year. We need to figure something out.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

davecrazy posted:

I think it was the hour+ games. If that new quick game feature is for online leagues, too, that would be awesome. If not, maybe drop the innings down to 6 for time.

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

davecrazy posted:

Well the fact sheet says "vastly improved netcode", so that would help

But then again I think improved netcode has been promised for like the last 4 years, so I'll keep my expectations low

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

jabro posted:

I think it was the hour+ games. If that new quick game feature is for online leagues, too, that would be awesome. If not, maybe drop the innings down to 6 for time.

This was it for me. Also that I was getting absolutely demolished every game. Like, not even close. Made it really unappealing to hop on and play my hour long league game where I'm going to get poo poo on the entire time. Now I can get poo poo on for a mere 15-30 minutes!

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Can you shorten the seasons as well as the innings? I'd be down to hit like poo poo and give up all the dingers with the World Class Twins Rotation (tm)

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Dubious posted:

Can you shorten the seasons as well as the innings? I'd be down to hit like poo poo and give up all the dingers with the World Class Twins Rotation (tm)

Yeah, you can shorten it by games or have it with round robin style play where users only play other user teams.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Dubious posted:

No way in hell we could do a full 162 game season. Best bet is a 20odd game round robin.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I'd love to see an option for online leagues where users play only one game in each 3-4 game series and the others are simmed. Maybe one day I will see a complete 162 game season that way.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
The only thing about this series I don't like: I haven't been able to sim a winning season for the Twins in something like 3 years.

loving Twins.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Dubious posted:

The only thing about this series I don't like: I haven't been able to sim a winning season for the Twins in something like 3 years.

loving Twins.

It is the most realistic sports series made right now.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

jabro posted:

It is the most realistic sports series made right now.

It really is because let me tell you about Twins baseball

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Late to the news but drat if this doesn't sound perfect. I can't wait till May.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Everything about this game sounds amazing. I'm all in for a Day 1 purchase. Being able to transfer saves to the next years game is something that I hope every sports series catch on to.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Why is a baseball video game the most compelling reason I have to buy a PS4?! :catstare:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Yep I pre-ordered my PS4 and got it on launch day. I've barely played it lately but as soon as The Show comes out it'll be running pretty much non-stop when I'm home. The season transfer year to year is probably what I'm most excited about (ok the graphics are awesome too), I can never get through a whole season with one team before the new game comes out. It makes total sense for them to implement too, as it builds brand loyalty. As if there where any other baseball game to play :allears:

Popete fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 18, 2014

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

VJeff posted:

Why is a baseball video game the most compelling reason I have to buy a PS4?! :catstare:

If it's of any consolation, I pretty much circled mid-to-late May on my calendar for when I want to buy mine. I'm thinking that will give the game a chance to get a couple of patches in if needed.

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets
Operation Sports posted a huge fact sheet earlier this week
http://www.operationsports.com/news/708593/mlb-14-the-show-fact-sheet-ps-vita-ps3-ps4/

still no PS4 trailer though :(

quote:

KEY FEATURES
Next Generation Baseball Has Arrived - MLB 14 The Show makes its next-gen debut on the PS4 system, utilizing the system’s vast resources to deliver exceptionally detailed and fluid gameplay. With improvements to presentation, a wealth of added animations, and a dramatic increase in environment and player detail, we are setting out to create the best-looking and best-playing baseball sim ever created.

The Evolution of Road to The Show continues (All platforms) - First among the major improvements is a completely revamped advancement system, complete with improved logic and the removal of advancement goals. Also being introduced is a new beginning to a player’s RTTS career with the Topps Amateur Showcase, a series of games against other draft prospects. Additionally, the training system, logic, screens and modes have all been revamped to provide users with a more engaging experience.

- Other changes include a new player-creation process, the reintroduction of the “broadcast” presentation perspective as an option, and a re-envisioned Catcher Mode, to name a few (PS3 & PS4 Only).

Year-to-Year Saves (All platforms) - For the first time in franchise history, saves can be carried over from MLB 14 to future releases of The Show, meaning that gamers won't have to worry about starting their Franchise or Road to the Show seasons over in years to come.

Player Lock (All platforms) - The new Player Lock feature (a.k.a RTTS anywhere) gives users the ability to lock-on to any single player and enter games using the Road to the Show gameplay mechanic, allowing for faster games and more focused on-field action.

Quick Counts (All platforms) - Users will now be able to play a full nine-inning game in less than 30 minutes, half the time it takes in previous iterations of The Show. Despite the shortened game durations, realistic stats will not be compromised.

Community Challenges (PS3 & PS4) - Players will be able to freely toy and tinker with game situations and scenarios on the fly, whether that’s the inning, score, who’s on base, or where the ball is hit. These custom situations can be bundled with a creative set of goals and put forth as a challenge to the community, whether it’s to relive the past, change history, or dream of new possibilities.

Universal Profile (PS3 & PS4) - A new tendency-tracking system monitors and records gamers’ unique playing styles. Those patterns are stored in the Universal Profile, which can be viewed by anyone looking to get a quick scouting report on the player. The Universal Profile can also be subbed in in place of a CPU opponent in Diamond Dynasty and Online Franchise, making for more realistic head-to-head matchups when schedules prevent synchronous play.

Online Franchise (PS3 & PS4) - Finally, Franchise mode can be shared with friends online, with most of the features from the offline version making the transition, including Scouting, the Amateur Draft, Free Agency and CPU Trades. The mode will remain highly customizable as scheduling, divisions, postseason spots and more are all commissioner options.

Stubs (All platforms) - Playing games in MLB 14 The Show rewards players with Stubs. Stubs can be used to purchase additional in-game content – like Road to the Show training points – or used in our new mode, Community Challenges. Stubs can be earned in any mode, and they are not required to progress through a mode. You can still purchase additional in-game content through the PlayStation Store.

Diamond Dynasty Extra Innings (PS3 & PS4) - In this mode, a player’s team is always looking for opportunities to challenge other users in an offline setting, which allows the user to earn bonus rewards the next time they log in. When online, the player has the opportunity to challenge other user-created teams in an offline game where the CPU controls their team. Players can only benefit positively in this mode even if their team does not perform up to their normal standards.

Dynamic Difficulty (All platforms) - Baseball is a sport the dedicated love to master, but also one that can intimidate newcomers. In this year’s version of The Show, players who don’t feel like veterans yet can opt to start on a lower difficulty level and jump right in. An advanced logic system will then grade the user’s skill and adjust the challenge level up or down based on their overall performance. Batting and pitching are evaluated separately, so it’s possible for one to increase in difficulty while the other doesn’t, or even reduces. On-screen notifications will advise when the difficulty setting has been adjusted.

Franchise Improvements (PS3 & PS4 Only) - Efforts continue to improve the accessibility of Franchise mode. A new notification system, which keeps the user more connected to their organization and the league, serves as an “Assistant GM” and will make sure critical information is more immediately provided and more readily accessible. Also refined is the logic that helps the multi-season cycle of Franchise mode and all of the stats and developments therein resemble real life as closely as possible. Other additions include a player search and the ability to hire and fire coaches during the regular season.

True Broadcast Presentations (PS3 & PS4 Only) - The Show’s presentation crew has taken on a tall task for MLB 14: streamlining the game while enhancing the reality and increasing the variety of the experience. Pace of play is a focal point for the team as we strive to immerse the user in an even more engaging simulation. Heavy emphasis has also been placed on the stadium environment to feature the upgraded crowd actors, jumbotrons, LED boards, dugouts, specific stadium audio and a more engaged, responsive and unique crowd.

-On the commentary side, the three-man booth of Matt Vasgersian, Eric Karros and Steve Lyons return for their second season together. This year's title will emphasize the three announcers in a more interactive, conversational style, yet will also continue to mine the world of baseball to find intelligent, timely and compelling commentary concerning today's teams and players. The overall goal is for the game to get deeper, and for the announcers to better adapt to changing game conditions -- including rising the enthusiasm level when the situation dictates.
MLB 14 The Show includes over 40 more enhancements, new features, and improvements!
New dynamic gameplay cameras for batting and fielding
New dynamic catch position indicator for fielding
New baserunning paradigm (New animation core and logic)
Completely re-done catcher animations suite (over 150 all-new catcher animations)
More than 90 new batting stances
More than 160 batting stance re-captures for players who changed their stances
More than 50 new fielding animations
More than 30 new pitching motions
20 new signature HR swings
Intro Fly-Ins (PS4 Only)
New bat boy and ball boy presentations (PS4 Only)
All-new high-resolution crowd reactions, ambient noise, cheers, etc…. (PS4 Only)
Japan League-style and slap-hitter swing types (PS4 Only)
Over 350 new fielding and batting animations (PS4 Only)
Team specific, player specific, team generic crowd signs (PS4 Only)
New RTTS Player Creation options, including the ability to model your skills, appearance, and signature animations after a real MLB player
New and improved training modes, along with the addition of a new bronze/gold medal system.
Easier trade requests (RTTS)
Easier position changes (RTTS)
Dynamic Potential for RTTS Player
New injury presentations
New Player Search feature
Ability to hire/fire coaches in mid-season
Notification system that keeps you connected to your team and league.
New player contract logic that mimics real life
New overall and potential formula
Editable potential
Refined player generation, with more position-specific attribute ranges (Online Franchise)
New contract decision logic, which factors in contract renewable and arbitration status more heavily (Online Franchise)
New lineup logic that takes into account secondary positions (Online Franchise)
Refined trade logic (Online Franchise)
Retired players stored for every season (Online Franchise)
More player stats stored for every season (Online Franchise)
New user management functionality at TheShowNation.com (Online Franchise)
Make, accept, and vote on trades through TheShowNation.com (Online Franchise)
Resolve and simulate games on TheShowNation.com (Online Franchise)
League members can now manage games on TheShowNation.com (Online Franchise)
New pitcher/batter status screen
New pitcher/batter breakdown pop-up graphics
Cycling help text
Left-handed infielders
CPU plate discipline logic has been re-written
Pitcher can now bring up pitch history using L3 (same effect as R2 for the batter)
New pickoff cameras
New assortment of organ recordings
Completely re-worked Plate Coverage Indicator (PCI)

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
LEFT HANDED INFIELDERS

why is it the stupid poo poo that I'm so excited for

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

Moe_Rahn posted:

LEFT HANDED INFIELDERS

why is it the stupid poo poo that I'm so excited for

I can't wait to take over the Mets and fire three coaches in a season.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Developer diary's are coming out with some more info on the new features.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/02/26/mlb-14-the-show-quick-counts-and-player-lock/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1hRn-jBic8

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

I always enjoy watching these but I get the feeling that after everyone subsequent video is released it'll just be a chorus of comments going "SHOW US THE PS4 VERSION"

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Maybe they have been doing nothing but drawing individual beard hairs on Jason Werth for the past year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.
Really hoping they make a baseball themed PS4 controller like they did for the PS3, it's the only controller I have used since it came out :3:

• Locked thread