Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Anyone gotten their Amazon pre-order custom skin coupon thingy?

EDIT: This is for PS4, thanks Jabro.

Popete fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Popete posted:

Anyone gotten their Amazon pre-order custom skin coupon thingy?

For PS3? Should have gone out when the game shipped or at least within a couple of days of it being shipped. If not then contact Support. If for PS4 then you won't get it until the game ships.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

It's been soooo long since i've had video game baseball. That PS4 trailer is absolutely gorgeous and I can't wait to mash some taters with the Braves lineup. Can someone explain the Ultimate Team-like mode in the game? I might be spending a ton of time in that..

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

ForbiddenWonder posted:

It's been soooo long since i've had video game baseball. That PS4 trailer is absolutely gorgeous and I can't wait to mash some taters with the Braves lineup. Can someone explain the Ultimate Team-like mode in the game? I might be spending a ton of time in that..
Diamond Dynasty is pretty neat. You customize a team, and a logo, and uniforms and then you get a bunch of scrubs who suck. You play games with them, either head to head online or against the CPU or, my favorite, against a CPU controlled other person's created team. This rewards you with in-game currency which you can then spend on improving your scrubs, getting new scrubs, or new stadiums to play in. You also, I suppose, have the option of using real MLB players you can randomly obtain, but to me that seems to defeat the purpose.

I really like diamond dynasty and if you come across my team (PSN: casnorf) fire me off a message about how great my unis are.

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown
A new hands on report with gameplay video for the PS4 version: http://www.operationsports.com/news/722073/mlb-14-the-show-hands-on-preview-video-wnew-ps4-footage/

Those night games look incredible :stare:

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAOkcxUZznU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKHPjgQ-RQw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxCqzHesb7E

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

Casnorf posted:

Diamond Dynasty is pretty neat. You customize a team, and a logo, and uniforms and then you get a bunch of scrubs who suck. You play games with them, either head to head online or against the CPU or, my favorite, against a CPU controlled other person's created team. This rewards you with in-game currency which you can then spend on improving your scrubs, getting new scrubs, or new stadiums to play in. You also, I suppose, have the option of using real MLB players you can randomly obtain, but to me that seems to defeat the purpose.

I really like diamond dynasty and if you come across my team (PSN: casnorf) fire me off a message about how great my unis are.

That sounds...perfect! Those gameplay videos are amazing too. That depth of field on the side shots of the batters when they're in the box is dead on.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Less than a month to go. Who's going to run the PS4 league? I think it would be best to get the particulars settled now so we can start playing when it comes out.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I have no problems running the league. Going to take a few days after release for everybody to get their copy though.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I've never played baseball online but I'm kinda wanting to join a league this year. What are the poo poo you can do to piss goo s off? Like in NCAA going for it o fourth every time and going for two were always good for some rage.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

You can't really cheese in baseball. There were some outright glitches a few years ago you could do with base runners and stealing but I think those have been fixed.

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."
There was something in last years edition where you could almost always throw someone out at first on a base hit to RF but I think it was fixed? Besides that, using starters as relievers used to piss people off but I don't know if the Show allows that anymore either

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Carlton Banks posted:

There was something in last years edition where you could almost always throw someone out at first on a base hit to RF but I think it was fixed? Besides that, using starters as relievers used to piss people off but I don't know if the Show allows that anymore either

The RF one was fixed by making every right field throw off of singles land in the yellow, even on perfect throws. It wouldn't count as an error or anything, but the 1B would either be pulled off the base by the throw or standing off the bag. You can use starters as relievers, but there's still fatigue so if you burn your starters as relievers you'll be screwed for your next league games.

There are definitely things you can do to piss people off and prolong games, but there's not much there to screw with them while still playing the game and (possibly?) trying to win.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Honesty "winning" is enough cheesing to me. I get unreasonably mad at video games. Which is why I'll probably refrain from the league.

Probably.

I still need a ps4 and the game soooo

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I wouldn't mind doing league play myself, but I have no time to do it so I'll likely go Diamond Dynasty and create a team of pink baseball ubermensch and have them square off against other pink goon CPU teams!

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

go Diamond Dynasty and create a team of pink baseball ubermensch
This is harder than it was last year since mans have natural stat caps. Dudes what got high maximums tend also to start out not so hot, requiring a decent investment.
A minor issue to be fair, but a welcome departure from last year's "99s in everything" Diamond Dynasty experience.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Casnorf posted:

This is harder than it was last year since mans have natural stat caps. Dudes what got high maximums tend also to start out not so hot, requiring a decent investment.
A minor issue to be fair, but a welcome departure from last year's "99s in everything" Diamond Dynasty experience.

Absolutely. I let my prose get the better of me there! I am really excited for the changes they made to the game and have basically resigned myself to the fact that it is going to be the game which finally makes me buy a ps4. Between that mode and Road to the Show I'll be busy for quite some time!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
So the new RBI Baseball is supposed to be out today but there's next to no information to be found about it. Is it any good? Is it an elaborate hoax?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Frackie Robinson posted:

So the new RBI Baseball is supposed to be out today but there's next to no information to be found about it. Is it any good? Is it an elaborate hoax?

If there is a demo on the PS3 I'll do a first look kinda thing.

Edit: No demo and they want $20 for the drat thing. I might have gone for $5-$10 but screw that.

jabro fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 9, 2014

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm assuming there will be a separate thread for the league? I'm totally down for playing. I cannot wait for May.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Frackie Robinson posted:

It's a lovely mobile game that ported up to consoles. Consensus is suck, and the quality of the screenshots certainly isn't helping.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's $5 on iOS, and $20 on PS3 and Xbox360, yeah right...

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

If they were smart they would have released it on the PS4 at a $10 price point. With The Show four weeks away a lot of people dying for a baseball game would have jumped at it.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I really am ambivalent towards baseball but I'm gonna buy a PS4 and The Show partly for my baseball obsessed SO and partly because I'm a sucker for individual career modes in all sports. I'd probably play a polo game if it had a great individual career mode. After Madden's aggressive dedication to mediocrity it'll be nice playing a polished game.

Is it bad that a sports game for a sport I don't even like is the main reason I'm switching from Xbox?

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

I just linked this pic to a few people who thought it was a legit pic from a real baseball game.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
When in doubt, look at feet. Better collision detection should be the next big goal for gaming graphics. Imagine jerseys that hang more naturally, cleats that sink into the ground, an end to clipping. :allears:

I kind of regret that Physics cards didn't become a thing. Much cooler than fancy lighting, IMO.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Something about the Twins jerseys in those night clips just pops off the screen and looks amazing.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
Putting in my dibs to suck in league play as the Twins

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wD9xShEx4g

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Went ahead and pre-ordered the PS4 off Amazon. Apparently I get a controller skin, which is neat.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

sba posted:

I just linked this pic to a few people who thought it was a legit pic from a real baseball game.

I could tell it was fake instantly because Gardy would never bat the unproven Oswaldo Arcia ahead of gritty and experienced veteran Jason Kubel.

(that looks awesome)

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
This game seriously does look gorgeous. The Show 13 looked really good on PS3 already, I was amazed what they managed to get out of that outdated little box.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Eifert Posting posted:

Is it bad that a sports game for a sport I don't even like is the main reason I'm switching from Xbox?

The Show's career mode is maybe the best of all games, so no it's not a bad reason at all.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

The level of detail on PS4 is amazing. Also its crazy how blurry the PS3 version looks in comparison. I guess its impossible to notice until you see something in comparison.

Oh Adaira
May 7, 2008

Casual Tabby
This guy has seen some poo poo, man.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/10/mlb-stars-to-debut-mlb-14-the-show-on-ps4-at-ign

Monday at 11AM PDT IGN will be streaming a game with Puig playing against Pence. It'll be a great chance to see some actual gameplay.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
Thinking about getting the PS3 version to help me learn about baseball. This may be an odd question, but could I create Rick Vaughn, Jake Taylor, Pedro Cerrano, etc. in the game and put them on a free agent list and have them potentially picked up by teams in franchise mode? Or are created players limited to the dudes you create for RttS? Also, can you create your own teams with their own logos and uniforms, or is customization strictly oriented to the RttS stuff?

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Panama Red posted:

Thinking about getting the PS3 version to help me learn about baseball. This may be an odd question, but could I create Rick Vaughn, Jake Taylor, Pedro Cerrano, etc. in the game and put them on a free agent list and have them potentially picked up by teams in franchise mode? Or are created players limited to the dudes you create for RttS? Also, can you create your own teams with their own logos and uniforms, or is customization strictly oriented to the RttS stuff?

Yes, no, yes but only in Diamond Dynasty.

It's all great for learning about baseball, but be prepared to learn about how hard hitting a god damned baseball really is.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
Thanks for all the answers. Yeah, it seems as though hitting can be a difficult thing, but having been to games I know that every inning can't be full of dingers. I was really more concerned about the learning curve of the controls, but it sounds like with the last edition of the game they introduced more "casual" controls for new players as opposed to more advanced options. Since I'm not a baseball fanatic I'll probably be using Quick Counts and the most basic control settings, at least until I want to increase the difficulty. I doubt I'll ever want to play an hour-long game, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Panama Red posted:

Thanks for all the answers. Yeah, it seems as though hitting can be a difficult thing, but having been to games I know that every inning can't be full of dingers. I was really more concerned about the learning curve of the controls, but it sounds like with the last edition of the game they introduced more "casual" controls for new players as opposed to more advanced options. Since I'm not a baseball fanatic I'll probably be using Quick Counts and the most basic control settings, at least until I want to increase the difficulty. I doubt I'll ever want to play an hour-long game, though.

They have a pretty cool feature they introduced last year for beginners. The CPU pitcher starts out as pretty much throwing straight pitches and as you get used to hitting them it then gradually introduces breaking pitches. I think there were 6 steps to it.

• Locked thread