Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I haven't played a baseball video game since Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball for the SNES. Is it good? Do most people take a team through an entire 162 game season?

I'd be getting the PS3 version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So I finally got the game and got it installed (gently caress you PSN for being a slow piece of poo poo). For someone who has literally not played a baseball videogame since Ken Griffey Jr. baseball what mode should I start with? I kinda wanna see if I can manage to snag the Phillies (or the Astros :gonk: ) a playoff spot given their horrifying roster but I'd also like to see if I could take a player up through the minors.

Are minor league teams accurate in terms of team name/location/roster? Can you do crazy things like make some poor single A team play the Yankees?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

The Dinger Machine is in the PS4 version? :aaa: I'm guessing since the Twins logo handshake thing works we can have our garish monstrosity light up when we hit home runs. I'm stunned at the level of detail they have in the crowds. I'm probably not getting a PS4 until next year at the earliest but drat, that is all really cool.

jabro posted:

Real AA and AAA teams with locations and team names. Rosters are generic names but there are spergs over at Operation Sports that makes an accurate roster every year. By the time they are done with it though you will grow tired of waiting for it since you are a casual player. Just start now. And in the Play Now game mode you can make some helpless AA team play against a Major League squad.

Thanks for this. I don't care too much about accurate AA and AAA rosters except for maybe the Phillies but it's really neat that there's a way to do it.

axeil fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 7, 2014

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I started franchise mode as the Phillies and I'm having a lot of fun on the pitching side. I'm about halfway through April, simming about 2 out of every 3 games and dominating the league in strikeouts and ERA. Unfortunately my offense is atrocious and I hate batting. Does anyone have any tips? I'm doing the batting style where you have to hit the button and use the left stick. It's really hard to figure out what pitch is coming and I think the only walks I've gotten came from quick counts putting me at 3-1.

I'm bad at baserunning too. I had 9 hits against the Cubs somehow but I ended up recording 4 outs from baserunning like an idiot (including going from runners on 3rd and 2nd with no outs to empty bases with 2 outs :gonk: ) because I could not for the life of me figure out how to advance runners on a double or advance guys in scoring position on a single. They'd always just stop at first/third and then get trapped while the throw came in.

axeil fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 8, 2014

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Panama Red posted:

So I managed to fix the issue with created players, but can anyone provide any tips for hitting in the game? There is batting practice in the game, but really no tutorial other than the random tips you get when beginner mode is on. All I manage to hit are pop-flys to the outfield that are easily caught by the other team, and I keep going down by just a couple runs. Can anyone provide any tips for someone who has never picked up a MLBTS game before?

I've found it best to guess either up or down in the zone and then wait for a pitch that's in that location. The guess pitch on classic really helps because it'll show exactly where the pitch will land (not the speed though). I still suck at hitting and only seem to score with Small Ball Tactics but occasionally I'll do something hilarious like Cliff Lee mashing a 3 run dinger.

I usually don't give up more than 2 or 3 runs a game though so I still win games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So have any PS3 users been having problems with crashes/freezes in the game? Seems like every time I play more than a game or two I get a freeze/hang. I think maybe it's related to music mode? I loaded some stuff over from my computer and that's the only thing I can see in common. The system usually plays a random sound effect instead of the music, then there's no sound for a few seconds and then the system completely hangs/crashes. I thought it might be overheating so I moved it out of my entertainment center cabinet and it still crashed. I'm getting worried that my PS3 is hosed and I'll need to do the dreaded "wait half a year for Sony to send you a fixed one" routine.

It ruined a Cliff Lee no-hitter I had going into the 8th :smith:

axeil fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Apr 29, 2014

• Locked thread