Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The toughest part of putting a game together for me has been organizing it. Deciding where information should appear and in what order to present it is a lot harder than knowing what to put in the game. Right now my outline organizes the book into five parts:

Mechanical information: The introduction, which has the basics of what the game is and some basic setting info to understand the rest of the book, the conflict system, character creation, and a world-generation system I'm working on.

Useful appendices: This is mostly character creation options: merits and flaws for characters, the list of magic powers, the list of magical devices, and tables and lists for world generation. The latter might get scrapped, it's still in very preliminary stages, and I'm not sure how fun or useful it will turn out to be.

Setting information - An overview of the world, a guide to various races and factions, a guide to important places, and a history section.

Player guidelines - Since the game is rules-light and depends a lot on everyone cooperating, and I want it to be accessible to those who have never played an RPG before, guidelines about how the game is intended to work are important. This section covers roleplaying, some advice on character creation, how to share the spotlight, and sections about solving in- and out-of-character conflicts.

GM guidelines - Advice for the GM on how to use the material in the book, make the setting their own, play NPCs, manage a campaign, resolve conflicts, and have a player-driven game. Again, being rules-light it depends a lot on the GM and players understanding how the game should be played, since there's not a lot of mechanical limitations on either of them.

My biggest concern is the second section. I wanted to put all the lists of character creation options in their own section, since I figured players will be referring to that section the most, and I didn't want other mechanical information to get lost in the character options. Should I put all this info in the character creation portion of section one, or keep it on its own? Any other organization advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU