Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karma to Burn
Dec 21, 2012

Jimbozig posted:

redneck ninja

:wtc: Lemmy what are you doing? Stop that. You're ruining the mystique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma to Burn
Dec 21, 2012
So here goes.

Card Subject To Change (working name, although I'll probably keep it around as a subtitle) is a mostly cooperative puzzle-solving/resource management card-based professional wrestling RPG.

Instead of portraying the on-screen story as genuine (as most rasslin rpgs do) CSTC instead drops kayfabe and looks to emulate wrestling if not realistically, then at least 'realistic' to the understanding of the internet wrestling fanbase; in-ring to business to backstage and most everything else in between.

The point of a match is to fill the Time allotted with entertaining ring work, hit the Spots required to tell the story, generate Heat for the match and for the winning competitor, and doing so while managing your Fatigue and avoiding Injury to yourself and your fellow performers. To do this, each involved player utilizes their own personal deck of house cards (that serves as your character sheet) that details things like their Gimmick, their Style, their face/heel Alignment, and various other cards that detail or affect their persona or ability to work a match. Each of these cards has a small bit of rules text that, when combined with the various house cards related to match stipulations or feud details or the like, generates the particular emergent approach or 'game' each player has to play to work their end of a match.

Everybody in-ring plays with their own poker deck to build hands individually and with others to hit certain moves to carry the match to it's decided conclusion; out of ring players play the :bahgawd: commentary and interview team. Mechanically, it's shaping up to look something like a semi-cooperative trick-taking Fluxx with a moderate grading & scoring system.

I'd also like to account for are those all-too-often fuckups and :russo: moments, as being irritated and/or outraged with X story or Y's push or Z's stupid decisions is a real and universal part of being a wrestling fan, I think. So there's a Swerve Deck of back things that can happen to characters, in both the immediate and the long-term. Freak injuries, awful turns, stupid booking calls, all of it's there. Cause being a professional wrestleman is about rolling with the punches.

I've got more lofty goals I'll detail later as I have make more substantive progress on the basic engine.

Karma to Burn fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Dec 15, 2013

Karma to Burn
Dec 21, 2012

This I quite like. Pro wrestling's full of all these roles and expected behaviors and weird little contrivances that back into traditional rpg assumptions pretty well.

The inter-player conflict is especially interesting, considering the multiple levels on which relationships exist in the sport. On-screen chemistry mingles with backstage rapport which are both affected by fan perception which influences business which starts the whole cycle back over... It's a rich setup for drama.