Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Is this some sort of preview for next episode?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I just watched a video about Majora's Mask glitches. I won't link to it here because of spoilers, but the guy said an interesting thing. Apparently, quite a few graphics in this game were literally copy-pasted from Ocarina of Time, including that wooden entrance gate to the ranch.

The Romani Ranch gate has Hylian text on it. According to the guy in the vid, it actually says "Welcome to Kakariko Village".

E: typo.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 1, 2014

roybot9000
Aug 27, 2003
This was one of my favorite parts of the game. So creepy and unsettling.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Carbon dioxide posted:

The Romani Ranch gate has Hylian text on it. According to the guy in the vid, it actually says "Welcome to Kakariko Village".

I love how zelda dorks are also cryptographers, and everything has been translated. I love that the signs can actually be translated and aren't just random textures.

That makes me sad that they would re-use the texture. I don't mind cloning 95% of the population of hyrule, but I figure the people of Termina would know how to read...

And besides, for the flak this game does get for re-using models, there are still quite a few new ones like the masks, transformations, enemies and even a few characters. I don't think a texture or 5 would be too much to add.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Gensuki posted:

I love how zelda dorks are also cryptographers, and everything has been translated. I love that the signs can actually be translated and aren't just random textures.

That makes me sad that they would re-use the texture. I don't mind cloning 95% of the population of hyrule, but I figure the people of Termina would know how to read...

And besides, for the flak this game does get for re-using models, there are still quite a few new ones like the masks, transformations, enemies and even a few characters. I don't think a texture or 5 would be too much to add.
The reusing of character models is at LEAST reasonable in this game, considering it is literally just an alternate Hyrule. Hyrule has a kingdom, Termina does not, at least not one that covers the entire world governing almost every reach out over the land.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Gensuki posted:

To be fair, Wikipedia says that the Hyrulian language didn't come out until Skyward Sword. Up until that point, that sign (and all others like it) could have said "Welcome to here" for all we knew.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Roar posted:

To be fair, Wikipedia says that the Hyrulian language didn't come out until Skyward Sword. Up until that point, that sign (and all others like it) could have said "Welcome to here" for all we knew.

That's not true.

There's a lot of information about it here.

The language differs a bit per game. In A Link to the Past, it was just random gibberish. Starting in OoT, every glyph corresponds to one character in a real language, originally to characters in one of the Japanese writing systems, later (in Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword) to English letters.

So yes, the text on the sign can be transcripted to Japanese rather easily.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Doing things slightly out of order this week and next week. It'll pay off when we get to doing the Great Bay proper.

E: We joke a bit about band names at the end, but I just realized that the episode title would make a good one.

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 5, 2014

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

I thought of the eggs being stolen as a metaphor for a miscarriage. Not that she's lost her voice as she's lost her words?

Because the game is dark.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

PizzaJoe is the master of the mouth guitar.

As much as I love Majora's Mask, I'd like to see some new content if they do a rerelease.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Agreed. OoT3D was nice and all, but it would've been appreciated had they done more than pretty up the graphics.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.
"[Darmani] died and he peed on everybody, and here [Mikau] died and he's a rock star"

He's a fish; explain how an underwater toilet would work. He peed on everyone, whether he wants to or not.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
The hand in the toilet is Mikau, It still makes sense since his fins can detach.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Obviously skulltulas are immune to kung-fu, they're bugs.

God do none of you play Pokemon? Fighting type-moves don't work on them. :colbert:

Also somehow I completely forgot that Zora Link's fins actually do work like boomerangs. Probably explains why I never managed to finish any of the Spider Houses.

Can we get like a T-shirt at some point saying "Spider House Rules" maybe?

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 7, 2014

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I know I've completed this Skulltula House as early as just after getting the Goron Mask. It's largely a matter of bringing in a bunch of seeds so you can plant them in the holes on the ground, then use the plants to fly to wherever the tokens are.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Mikau and the Swamp Spider House playing live, by Fruitful-Quest:

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I don't think I've done the spider houses but once, ever. I was going to say I never did, but I distinctly remember getting the thing I'm not going to name due to spoilers at the end of the game, and don't you need the Mask of Truth for that?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

KieranWalker posted:

I don't think I've done the spider houses but once, ever. I was going to say I never did, but I distinctly remember getting the thing I'm not going to name due to spoilers at the end of the game, and don't you need the Mask of Truth for that?

You need every mask in the game for that, if we're thinking of the same endgame item.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Yes, so apparently I did complete the skulltulla houses (perhaps just the swamp house) at least once. I just have no memory of doing so.

Might be because skulltullas creeped me the hell out when I was younger.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

KieranWalker posted:

Yes, so apparently I did complete the skulltulla houses (perhaps just the swamp house) at least once. I just have no memory of doing so.

I believe you need to complete both Skulltula houses to collect every mask. The first one has a mask as a reward, and the second one has a reward that's required to get at least one mask.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

The graveyard is in very capable hands, it seems.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Man, I'd completely forgotten about the graveyard thing. It's been too long since I played Majora's Mask.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

You literally sold somebody's soul for 200 rupees.

How do you feel about that Thorn? You feel good with your soul money? :colbert: I forgotten a lot about Ikana, I never got to that area much in the game.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Ikana's always where I stop my replays because I am, to this day, terrified of Wallmasters. Ocarina of Time's forest temple broke 7 year old me.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
OH! Just remembered that I wanted to say this because I thought it was cool. A bit late, but the bremen mask is a reference to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Town_Musicians_of_Bremen

Also, the name Darknut might be a result of it being from the era where video game names were bound to 8 letters? After that it just carried over. I like it since Dark Knight is kind of a boring enemy for any fantasy setting.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Gensuki posted:

OH! Just remembered that I wanted to say this because I thought it was cool. A bit late, but the bremen mask is a reference to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Town_Musicians_of_Bremen

Also, the name Darknut might be a result of it being from the era where video game names were bound to 8 letters? After that it just carried over. I like it since Dark Knight is kind of a boring enemy for any fantasy setting.
OHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Oh my god I KNEW about that and I never made the connection dammit! Well thanks for reminding us Gensuki, that's a cool folklore reference!

And I agree, Darknut as stupid as is, is better than plain Dark Knight because that's just so exactly what it is.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Senerio posted:

Ikana's always where I stop my replays because I am, to this day, terrified of Wallmasters. Ocarina of Time's forest temple broke 7 year old me.

The Forest Temple never bothered me because I was never in the rooms long enough to get swiped.

Now having to explore the bottom of the well...

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009

Gensuki posted:

Did the name change between OoT and MM? In OoT they were Iron Knuckles. I never heard them called Darknuts until WW.

Senerio posted:

Never made it to the Shadow Temple then?

roybot9000
Aug 27, 2003
In the original LoZ they were called Darknuts, while in the sequel AoL they were called Iron Knuckles.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Ajaxify posted:

Never made it to the Shadow Temple then?

Oh, I did, but by that time I wasn't dumb enough to stand in one place for too long.

symptom
Oct 19, 2011
I just find it weird to do this sidequest now, since there's an easier faster way to get a fourth bottle in Great Bay.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

symptom posted:

I just find it weird to do this sidequest now, since there's an easier faster way to get a fourth bottle in Great Bay.

Yeah, but gently caress those guys.

Also maybe he wants a fifth bottle to hold something besides eggs.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

symptom posted:

I need the hookshot to get up to there, and I don't get that until I'm already inside the Pirate's Fortress anyway.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Senerio posted:

Oh, I did, but by that time I wasn't dumb enough to stand in one place for too long.

Did you know wall masters disappear when you go into first person? You don't even have to look up.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I wonder what it says that the one character whose name remains the same between games is a blind, lumbering coward that Link has to almost literally pull around by the nose to get to what he needs. I don't think he was anything like that in OoT.

Or maybe I'm overthinking it.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

He wasn't, you had him actively assisting you with robbing a haunted graveyard in OoT.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Even better, he made it an attraction that he turned a profit from. Also, the composer brothers are the same; Flat and Sharp.

symptom
Oct 19, 2011
Well I always did it kind of the way the game intended, getting the 3 eggs inside the fortress, then getting the bottle up the waterfall. But this game does give a bit of freedom for when you want to get stuff anyway so it all works out in the end anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
So I'm a little behind in watching these but I just got to this one.

I'm very lucky that no one was around when I was watching it at work because the kaleidoscope of ocarina failure at 15:26 makes me cry with laughter every time I watch it.

• Locked thread