Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

dazat posted:

I also remember reading somewhere that Taro Yoko had to fight really hard to get Square-Enix to OK a female main character, and then again for them to OK the whole flower in the eye aspect of her design.

It's very hard to find a game with a female protagonist in general where they're not used for fanservice. The main ones I can think of are Samus from Metroid (before Other M the "fanservice" with her was pretty minor,) Clem from Walking Dead, Aya Brea in the first two PE games, Lighting (in FFXIII and arguable XIII-2, let's not discuss the third one...)

Even Lara Croft in the new Tomb Raider has a few moments that seemed to designed for minor fanservice (to be fair, the game handles her character pretty well, but there's a reason they didn't have her logically steal some warmer clothes.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Here's Mikhail's story: http://kho-dazat.tumblr.com/post/69841192207/our-mistakes-wah-i-jolted-awake-even-though
Gosh, he's cute. :3:

Cloche
Mar 4, 2010

It's good to see them continuing the proud tradition of Drakengard faeries being absolute assho meanies. :3: (thanks again for translating these)

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
What im still trying to figure out it which storyline is this game following? Is it drakengards wild rear end loving one or drakengard 2s stupid endings

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Cloche posted:

It's good to see them continuing the proud tradition of Drakengard faeries being absolute assho meanies. :3: (thanks again for translating these)

Came here to post this.

Rexicon1 posted:

What im still trying to figure out it which storyline is this game following? Is it drakengards wild rear end loving one or drakengard 2s stupid endings

it's a prequel

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Rexicon1 posted:

IIRC, it's a prequel.

Also that was ridiculously adorable. :3:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Aww Mikhail's adorable for a deadly fire-breathing dragon. "You... fibster!"

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
I woulnt doubt it is mikhail was related to seere or manna whatever her name was

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

D'aww. :3:

Mikhail is lovably dumb. I wonder how they're gonna handle these character traits in the localisation.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

It's very hard to find a game with a female protagonist in general where they're not used for fanservice. The main ones I can think of are Samus from Metroid (before Other M the "fanservice" with her was pretty minor,) Clem from Walking Dead, Aya Brea in the first two PE games, Lighting (in FFXIII and arguable XIII-2, let's not discuss the third one...)

Even Lara Croft in the new Tomb Raider has a few moments that seemed to designed for minor fanservice (to be fair, the game handles her character pretty well, but there's a reason they didn't have her logically steal some warmer clothes.)

There's definitely some really weird bits of fan service in the most recent Tomb Raider, it's actually kind of disturbing to go from that to her getting impaled on a bit of metal or something. A great example would be The Last of Us.

Doesn't make much sense that Taro Karo'd need to convince Square to do a female main character when FF6 and 12 both already did so years ago.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The body of a colossal fire-breathing dragon, the mind and spirit of a labrador puppy. There's so much potential here for tragedy. And comedy.

The initial wave of surprisingly positive reviews have me pretty excited. Square clearly have some strangely wise people among their upper echelons for deciding to get Cavia back together.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
He's too adorable. This cannot end well.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Doesn't make much sense that Taro Karo'd need to convince Square to do a female main character when FF6 and 12 both already did so years ago.

Hahahahahaha. Oh man, that's funny, I was rolling around on the floor laughing my rear end off. And then coughing for a good minute, because of a loving winter cold.

Never underestimate how stupid a Corporation can be. Especially Square Enix, where you fail upwards.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

There's definitely some really weird bits of fan service in the most recent Tomb Raider, it's actually kind of disturbing to go from that to her getting impaled on a bit of metal or something. A great example would be The Last of Us.

I'd imagine the fact that the female character in both cases isn't the sole main character (or even the focus character, in 12) had something to do with it.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

So I've seen the director's name written both ways by English sources, as "Yoko Taro" and as "Taro Yoko". Which one is his surname?

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

sleeptalker posted:

So I've seen the director's name written both ways by English sources, as "Yoko Taro" and as "Taro Yoko". Which one is his surname?

Yoko, I believe.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Just based on the short stories, who are your favorite characters so far?
Personally I like Zero, Mikhail and Dito the best; their stories were the most fun to work on. Octa is pretty fun, too.
Decad got on my nerves and Cent was a little boring. Three and Five seem pretty obnoxious (albeit in an entertaining way), while I feel sympathetic toward Two and Four.
The biggest mystery is One. I wonder if she'll be getting a short story of her own before the game comes out?

Genocyber posted:

I'd imagine the fact that the female character in both cases isn't the sole main character (or even the focus character, in 12) had something to do with it.

Yeah, I was going to say. Although Terra (and Celes) got a lot of focus, FF6 was more of an ensemble cast. And while I haven't played 12, I've always heard people arguing it was Basch or Balthier who was the true main character, not Asche. Yuna was the main character in FFX-2, but that was a spin-off and not a main title... Lightning was the first 'true' female lead, but even then, I remember the creators repeatedly saying that they created her as a gender-swapped Cloud. And all I've heard about the new game she's in is how they increased her bust size and you can see up her skirt, sooo...

What's funny is that by the promotional material being so upfront about their sexuality, Zero and the other Intoners feel a lot less fan servicey to me. Five is the 'sexiest' and all it does is make her seem kind of gross, like in Dito's story. Kind of like how Kaine on paper seemed like a creepy pervert-bait character but didn't actually come off like that in the game at all.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

dazat posted:

Just based on the short stories, who are your favorite characters so far?
The biggest mystery is One. I wonder if she'll be getting a short story of her own before the game comes out

Mikhail makes everything better. Also the bold tells me there is no story for her curiously enough, and I was just about to ask about it :downs:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Octa's and Mikhael's stories made me laugh real hard, but I have to say I'm the most interested in seeing what they're going to do with Four. I used to be as frustrated with everyone as she is, before I mellowed out after high school. She could turn out annoying but I'm looking forward to her inevitable and spectacular meltdown.

One seems to be to Zero what Vergil was to Dante so I'm hoping for a good one-to-one duel.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Top Gym Pumper posted:

Is this going to be for sale on jp PSN next week?

Apparently yes: http://www.jp.playstation.com/software/title/jp0082npjb00380_00dod3maingame0000.html

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

A short 15-sec TV commercial has been released: http://rologeass.tumblr.com/post/70029219895/drag-on-dragoon-3-drakengard-3-japan-exclusive

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Yeah OK :psyduck:

e:

:iiam:

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Dec 15, 2013

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
I'm looking forward to this so much. Nier was my favorite game the year it was released.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Rexicon1 posted:

Ugh nier new game plus is probably the saddest loving thing on the planet. If you haven't played nier, go get it and play it through at least twice.

If you've ever had to deal with the loss of a loved one, especially after any kind of prolonged illness, Nier will break your heart. It was a long time between my first and second attempts at playing that game, it hit so hard. It's now unquestionably one of my all-time greats, but that first time hurt.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

I was looking through scans of this month's Dengeki which had a special feature on Drakengard 3. There wasn't much in the way of new info, but there was this funny "What if the cast of Drakengard 3 were in high school?" (because the Japanese are compelled to compare all things to high school, always) written by none other than Yoko himself:

quote:

Zero would be a delinquent who'd never even show up for classes, instead spending her days getting drunk and indulging in every kind of vice. However, since she's good at keeping her head low, most of her teachers wouldn't know the extent of her foul play and would just consider her a bit strange.

One would be your perfect valedictorian type, trusted by both her classmates and the teachers. However, in spite of her flawless demeanor, she'd be prone to errors in judgement, such as getting involved in an affair with a teacher, say.

Mikhail is too big to bring into the school so Zero would leave him chained up outside. The sisters wouldn't treat him very well, but because he's so cute, he'd end up popular with the mothers and grandmothers in the neighborhood who would all sneak him snacks.

Two, with her cheery personality, would surely be the most popular girl in school. Her guileless demeanor would make her equally popular with both male and female students. Although she'd have many admirers, she'd never betray her beloved Cent.

Cent's relationship with Two would be the source of much gossip. "I can't believe she's dating that airhead!", they'd say. Since he has no good traits besides his handsomeness, he'd end up graduating known as little else than 'being Two's boyfriend'.

Three would be popular with nerdy boys due to her eccentric personality and unusual interests. Having no particular type she'd end up fooling around with numerous men all at the same time, which would lead to the dissolution of social groups and the destruction of many a friendship.

Despite his age, Octa would attend school as a student, his aged appearance leading his classmates to dub him the "The 100 Year Old Freshman". After seducing 100 girls before the end of the new semester, his nickname would be altered slightly…

Four would put on such a show of being a good-two-shoes that she'd end up alienating both her classmates and her teachers. When asked to describe her, they'd start off by saying "She's a very nice girl, but…" and then trail off for lack of anything good to say.

Decad would be a philosophy teacher who'd heatedly sing the praises of agape (unconditional love) and self-sacrifice. His students, all painfully aware of his inclinations, would take his lessons with a grain of salt.

Five would be your typical Queen Bee type, heading a group of bitchy mean girls. That said, despite being considered a knock-out with an awesome rack, in reality she wouldn't be all that well-liked and would end up feeling very isolated.

Dito, with his dry and cynical personality, is the picture of today's apathetic youth. Superficially he would be an ideal student, but behind the scenes he'd be dating older female classmates and even his female teachers out of which he would squeeze an allowance, leaving him never hurting for money.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Drakengard 3: In which horny old men write a story about teenage girls.

geist hirsche
Jul 23, 2004

They really just want to make Drakengard high school a thing

Which reminds me, I hope they put out an art book for this game, too.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

geist hirsche posted:

They really just want to make Drakengard high school a thing

So what's Caim supposed to be teaching?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Is there a "What if they were in high school?" for the original game?

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Keeshhound posted:

Math, apparently. It also says that Angelus is his former fiancee.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

dazat posted:

I was looking through scans of this month's Dengeki which had a special feature on Drakengard 3. There wasn't much in the way of new info, but there was this funny "What if the cast of Drakengard 3 were in high school?" (because the Japanese are compelled to compare all things to high school, always) written by none other than Yoko himself:

Dito is pimpin

geist hirsche
Jul 23, 2004

I thought there was some extra sketch of the first Drakengard cast as teens, but looking back through the art books, I think I just confused it with all the extra stuff from the second game. Here's the second page of Drakengard 2's high school game with human Legna and Angelus.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

geist hirsche posted:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/4048660861/dengekionline-22

e: cover

bonus:

Miss that guy.

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 16, 2013

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Another trailer.

Reminds me of this mural from Nier

Looks really good, I'm super excited for-

:stare:

This silence is mine...

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Keeshhound posted:

Murderology and Murderonomy

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
The Dark Id should send another email to Taro Yoko and tell him that he wants to play Drakengard 3. I want to believe that he will send Dark Id something akin to a Collector's Edition of the game and ask for more western advertisement.

Also the use of Evangelion-esque warning bars and signs leads me to hope for more otherworldly intrigue like the Imperial/Empire capital city in Drakengard 1 :allears:

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 16, 2013

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

The big knight guy reminds me of Caim for whatever reason. Same kind of sword.

e: all of those glowing green things make me hope for the return of D1's weird rear end enemies in the flying stages.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Pesky Splinter posted:

Another trailer.

Reminds me of this mural from Nier

Looks really good, I'm super excited for-

:stare:

This silence is mine...

That song! :allears:

I wonder if it was a remix of This Silence Is Mine or a part of the full version.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Lunethex posted:

Also the use of Evangelion-esque warning bars and signs leads me to hope for more otherworldly intrigue like the Imperial/Empire capital city in Drakengard 1 :allears:

The warnings read "This segment cannot be shown at this time", so I'm guessing the opening cinematic will be almost as spoilery as Nier's was :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The new trailer is amazing. It seems like it follows the previous ones, it's got a bit more footage but nothing really dramatic... and then it just goes batshit.

This is my most anticipated game right now. I don't know what that says about me.

• Locked thread