Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Well then. What an uplifting and strangely fitting ending.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ZearothK posted:

Yes. I decided to write the whole post as a stream of thought of a dying man suffering withdraw, and the format followed. I know it is not to everyone's tastes, but I had a lot of fun writing it and I am a big fan of authors who indulge in this style occasionally. Monkey see, monkey do and all that.

That was a really nice bit of writing.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I have to admit I read it a bit as ZearothK calling things to a close because he was tired of doing the Rimworld part of the LP. :v: Or just tired of doing the LP in general.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Good thread.

I mean, if it's ending.

Still a good thread even if it isn't ending, but not in quite the same meaning.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

PurpleXVI posted:

I have to admit I read it a bit as ZearothK calling things to a close because he was tired of doing the Rimworld part of the LP. :v: Or just tired of doing the LP in general.

I imagine if he had got off the planet it would have been different, but Randy's gonna random

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

PurpleXVI posted:

Well, technically the LP ended with V2 (or when Stellaris turned out to be a flop), this is just me fooling around.

There were a few factors, I lost some steam on doing it because of the time between updates (due to a grueling end of semester and going on to travel shortly afterwards), this last update was also rushed, since I was doing it in an interval in the middle of my trip and RimWorld had a major update (amongst other things it added the ability to maintain multiple colonies, the ability to travel, migrate and to raid other communities, plus an "Oregon Trail" victory condition where you travel across the planet to reach escape; also, a lot of new cool mods emerged) which was save incompatible, and I wanted to complete the save before any of the major mods I was using updated and made it unusable, ergo, rocks fall, everyone dies. A proper 2016 capstone.

Though to be fair what actually killed us was the fact that raid size is proportional to the colony's wealth, and I spent a lot of time upgrading other things (another geothermal reactor, working hydroponics bay, personal computers, a larger workforce etc) without also improving defenses, so we ended up overwhelmed by the medieval raiders when Randy Random decided it was time to bleed.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

ZearothK posted:

Well, technically the LP ended with V2 (or when Stellaris turned out to be a flop), this is just me fooling around.

Do you mean that the Stellaris LP part turned out to be a flop, or is the game just not good?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Tevery Best posted:

Do you mean that the Stellaris LP part turned out to be a flop, or is the game just not good?

I can't speak for ZearothK, but IMO it started out as a pretty mediocre game. However, like all Paradox games, it has improved greatly with time, and by the looks of it the update that's currently in the works is a major overhaul to some of the systems I disliked most so it's finally getting to the point where you can slap the "good" label on it. Definitely within another few months/updates it'll get where it needs to be. That's generally just the rule of thumb with Paradox games, they don't really meet their potential until like a year after release.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jan 10, 2017

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Tevery Best posted:

I didn't like Stellaris, to me it feels like a 4X where only the exploration part is any good, and that's more because Paradox has a pretty good writing team for events and it is gorgeous to look at; the exterminate, expand and exploit parts of the gameplay are all lacking in major ways to me and I was disappointed that the differences between, say, a collectivist worm-people and the human race are less meaningful in gameplay than those from being from different parts of Spain in EU4. Like Crazycryodude said it might turn out to be good in the future, but so far updates haven't done much to elevate it beyond mediocrity.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Realistically they released the game a minimum of 6-8 months (probably a year) too early. Their post release interviews don't produce a very good picture of how efficiently they used their dev time.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

ZearothK posted:

I didn't like Stellaris, to me it feels like a 4X where only the exploration part is any good, and that's more because Paradox has a pretty good writing team for events and it is gorgeous to look at; the exterminate, expand and exploit parts of the gameplay are all lacking in major ways to me and I was disappointed that the differences between, say, a collectivist worm-people and the human race are less meaningful in gameplay than those from being from different parts of Spain in EU4.

This is a really good way to sum it up, yeah. My hivemind xenofungus that reproduces by infecting preexisting life, my Not!Ferengi Space Libertarians who care about profit more than anything, and baseline humans all play exactly the same with a few percentage modifiers to growth or ethics divergence or whatever. There's no real soul to it, no way that millions of years of biological and societal evolution before reaching space affects gameplay. It just sort of assumes that every form of intelligent life thinks and acts basically like a human except they reproduce 20% faster or are better at research or whatever. Nothing game changing.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jan 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
Endless Space 2 is doing pretty great for game play diversity so far.

They are now at 5 factions, and at least 2 of them play strongly differently (Ship-bound Vodyani and always war cravers), while the other 3 races are more normal but still have some fairly neat mechanics.

E: You could kind of do the Hansa as the Lumeris, who are basically Mafia like space traders, but they dont happen to look very human.

Mightypeon fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 11, 2017

• Locked thread