Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Okay, it's closed!

a) 16
b) 25
c) 11

Thanks for voting, Gotthard shall attempt to form a Noble Republic. I'll be adding de Goon-Escadre to French culture dynasty names in EU4 so that his cadet branch may live on, somehow. A State of the World should follow.

----------------------------------------------

STATE OF THE WORLD - 1352

"This is you."

"This is your daddy. We are von Goons, the richest family in Europe. One day you will know what this means and every day you will thank God for being one of us. Our wealth allows us to help others and to enjoy every pleasure of this world."

He brought the baby to the map room and pointed to a newly made painted map of northern Europe.

"We are partners in the Hansa, a nation without equal in the world, a nation made for creating riches for those capable of work... Though there are exceptions. Denmark is a nation inhabited by horrible people, but now they are subjects of Poland who are... Polish, I guess. Unlike us the rest of the world is led by Feudalism, a very backwards form of rule, where everything is inefficient and people grow increasingly incestuous. Uh... That is when you love your family in a way you should not."

"There are the British Isles to the West, they are home to two eternally warring kingdoms: England and Scotland. There is also Ireland, where they make potatoes for the Aztecs."

"Aztecs are... They are people from across the sea with strange habits. You will come to know them because they have infinite gold and Aztlan makes a lot of things that make us money when we re-sell them in Europe. They had some sort of war amongst themselves a few years ago, probably because of something in their homeland."

"This is France. It is a very divided land with several dukes fighting for control. There is a League of France, which was founded by our family and is led by your... Uh... Let me see... Gotthard was my father's first-degree cousin, that should make him your... Grandcousin?" he pointed to a picture of Gotthard.

"He is a very scary man, very brave too, with some very strange ideas... He is the most famous von Goon. He tried to base his League on our own, but then discovered that the French were really into feudalism, so he made a treaty between burghers and nobles and now their League is something, well, unique. It is a good thing he is far away, doing his things to French people."

"There is Italy, home to Rome, where civilization came from and where the Pope lives. The Pope is a man you do not want to have irritated with you because he speaks for God. God is... Well, He created the universe and everything in it, so it is generally a good idea to be on his good graces. He had several prophets, and ours is Christ and I am not really too keen on the details. What I do know is that Italy also has Republics like our own: Pisa and Venice. There used to be a Republic of Genoa a few decades ago, but the Duke of Lombardy took it over."

"Ours is the best republic, as you can see. We have a whole sea all to ourselves, while they have to compete with each other."

"Between us and Italy there is the Holy Roman Empire. They are large and you do not test their patience. They are very fragmented and feudal. We used to give money to the Emperor for protection, but we can take care of ourselves now."

"To the East, that is where the sun comes from, there is the Golden Horde, hence their name. They came from even further East and for some time we feared they would conquer the entire world, but then they discovered Jesus Christ - the almighty guy the Pope represents - and decided to invade people who worship God the wrong way, even though they, the Goldies, worship God the wrong way themselves. Religion is complicated."

"Speaking of which, this is the Holy Land. Christ came from there, as well as some of those other prophets I told you about. We are on team Catholic, led by the Pope; the Atefids lead team Muslim, and they control the Holy Land, I guess. They actually let pilgrims from every religion visit, so they are not that terrible. There is also the Kingdom of Egypt, ruled by Scots, but their future is uncertain as their king is nae Edward Canmore. Sorry, not sure where that came from."

"Then there is the Latin Empire. There used to be a Roman Empire on that Eastern half, Anatolia, but the kingdom of Hungary, with help from the Holy Roman Empire, invaded the Romans because they were not Holy, I guess, so now Csaba is the most powerful man on Team Catholic. Most powerful, but not the richest. That is us, because he spends all of the Latin's Empire money to buy wine from Venice and rum from the Hansa."

"So, welcome to the world, Viktor. Hope you enjoy your stay!"

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 20, 2013

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Oh my god. Are the Scottish actually in Egypt!? That's the greatest thing ever! I mean, what are the odds of that happening?

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
Surely astronomical. And that just makes it even more fantastic :haw:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

They won the crusade for Egypt back in the in the 1310's, still holding strong to it.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Dietrich seems like a pretty nice guy all things considered :unsmith:

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Rooting for Latin Empire so hard. It will be the best state come EU4.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Them and the Aztecs, best empires.

Hyord
Aug 24, 2011
Can Catholics end the great schism as well or is that decision left only to Orthodox who reconquer the Pentarchy?

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
The sheer joy I feel at the Scots being in Egypt is inexpressible.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
That seemed like such a :3: update.

So, if I understand it correctly, the rulers of France get randomly generated, but what happens to the von Goon cadet branch?
And there's no way to give them an HRE style gi=overnment?

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Nice to see little Achaea doing so well. Hopefully they'll be a nice little counterweight for Venice now that Genoa is no more.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Rockopolis posted:

That seemed like such a :3: update.

So, if I understand it correctly, the rulers of France get randomly generated, but what happens to the von Goon cadet branch?
And there's no way to give them an HRE style gi=overnment?

They're gone for the rest of CK2. From EU4 onward where things are more abstracted to a national level, each state has a list of dynasty names it can use, so they will be modded in to be a possible group which can be elected in the French Noble republic (as long as France survives).

In CK2 an "HRE-style government" is just a regular state using Feudal elective, monarchs get elected but only noblemen are eligible, not burghers, so while they could easily have such a government, it would not be classed as a republic in-game.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Somebody should post that picture of the Latin Empire over on the Paradox forums, just to soak up the delicious tears of Byzantophile rage.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The Sandman posted:

Somebody should post that picture of the Latin Empire over on the Paradox forums, just to soak up the delicious tears of Byzantophile rage.

Unfortunately, I can't respond with just a smilie.

:argh:

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Just what is it about the Paradox forums that turns everyone into a screeching racist/Romanophile? Pretty much every AAR there is about restoring Rome.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Hyord posted:

Can Catholics end the great schism as well or is that decision left only to Orthodox who reconquer the Pentarchy?

It is possible in CK2+, it requires a Catholic Emperor owning Constantinople, Antioch (Latin Empire), Alexandria (Scots) and Jerusalem (Atefids) as well as having plenty of piety and gold, so the Latins are technically half way through. It is still a very remote possibility, the Latins may take Jerusalem in a crusade, but it would require marriage shenanigans for them to absorb Egypt, so it is the sort of thing a player could pull off, but I wouldn't trust the AI to do it.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Flesnolk posted:

Just what is it about the Paradox forums that turns everyone into a screeching racist/Romanophile? Pretty much every AAR there is about restoring Rome.

The Byzantine empire is bascically everything that's "cool" about history rolled up into one state. It's Rome (ancient Rome is cool), it's Greece (ancient Greeks are cool), it's an empire (Emperors are cool), depending on the era it's either in a golden age (leading the shining city on the hill is cool) or on the verge of complete destruction (leading a massive underdog to ultimate victory is cool) and it's purple (and purple is cool as hell).

I mean, sure there are some people who are racist who let their racism be a lens through which they project Byzantophilia, but I think it's unfair to characterise Byzantophilia itself as racist. When you first start learning about European history prior to the 19th century, I think it's perfectly natural for the Byzantines to jump out as a very interesting state, as the only Western Eurasian empire to survive the transition from the Ancient world to the Middle Ages. And more to the point it's Rome, which has been idolised as the absolute zenith of European culture since before it even fell, and that hasn't really ever gone away.

So maybe it's a silly amatuer history student's power fantasy, but eh, I say let people have their fun.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Reveilled posted:

The Byzantine empire is bascically everything that's "cool" about history rolled up into one state. It's Rome (ancient Rome is cool), it's Greece (ancient Greeks are cool), it's an empire (Emperors are cool), depending on the era it's either in a golden age (leading the shining city on the hill is cool) or on the verge of complete destruction (leading a massive underdog to ultimate victory is cool) and it's purple (and purple is cool as hell).

I mean, sure there are some people who are racist who let their racism be a lens through which they project Byzantophilia, but I think it's unfair to characterise Byzantophilia itself as racist. When you first start learning about European history prior to the 19th century, I think it's perfectly natural for the Byzantines to jump out as a very interesting state, as the only Western Eurasian empire to survive the transition from the Ancient world to the Middle Ages. And more to the point it's Rome, which has been idolised as the absolute zenith of European culture since before it even fell, and that hasn't really ever gone away.

So maybe it's a silly amatuer history student's power fantasy, but eh, I say let people have their fun.

Anatolia is also a really cool place Geographically and so are the Balkans. (But that's probably just me...)

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Nov 21, 2013

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The Byzantines were also the best faction in Age of Empires 2.

advokat
Nov 17, 2012
The Byzantine Empire is a legitimately fun and interesting place, both in the game and historically. It's just that people on Paradox Forums pretty much ran it into the ground years ago.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Flesnolk posted:

Well to be fair, most of European history after 476 is about attempts to recapture the glory of Rome.

Also flamethrowers.

Hyord
Aug 24, 2011

Byzantine posted:

Also flamethrowers.

I like that the fellows being set on fire are pretty loving relaxed about it and just carrying on with their business.

advokat
Nov 17, 2012

Hyord posted:

I like that the fellows being set on fire are pretty loving relaxed about it and just carrying on with their business.

They look somewhat distressed to me, but granted, emotional expression is not medieval art's strongest point. :v:

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

ZearothK posted:

"This is France. It is a very divided land with several dukes fighting for control. There is a League of France, which was founded by our family and is led by your... Uh... Let me see... Gotthard was my father's first-degree cousin, that should make him your... Grandcousin?" he pointed to a picture of Gotthard.

:eng101: First Cousin twice removed!

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Reveilled posted:

I should clarify and apologise. I was saying Romanophiles AND racists but worded it shittily and implied Romanophiles are racists. Sorry about that.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Hyord posted:

I like how the guy tossing the fire is looking back at his buddies on the ship as though he was saying, "Ha ha, look at these douchebags all on fire and stuff."

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I like how the guy tossing the fire is looking back at his buddies on the ship as though he was saying, "Ha ha, look at these douchebags all on fire and stuff."

"loving TOLD you it would work!"

So the game ends at 1492, right?

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

Triskelli posted:

By default it ends in 1453, but I believe CK2+ removes the end date.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

You know what other Golden Age/Underdog/5th Rome from Anatolia that's the coolest dog in town? The Ottomans :colbert:

Ceterum censeo Byzantium esse delendam.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Pimpmust posted:

You know what other Golden Age/Underdog/5th Rome from Anatolia that's the coolest dog in town? The Ottomans :colbert:

But... But my pork :(

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Triskelli posted:

I will probably conclude CK2 on 1444, which is EU4's start date. I might decide to go past it on CK2 if there are any pending business that couldn't be done justice in the later game.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

PrinceRandom posted:

But... But my pork

Silent, (filthy) peasant!

I have brought back... superior dishes from the turks!

BEHOLD!

Hyord
Aug 24, 2011

ZearothK posted:

I will probably conclude CK2 on 1444, which is EU4's start date. I might decide to go past it on CK2 if there are any pending business that couldn't be done justice in the later game.

I dont understand why Paradox bumped EU3's start date back to 1399 to appease all the Byzantophiles only to bump it back up to 1444 in EU4.

Is it just so they can sell an expansion that bumps it back down again?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Pimpmust posted:

Good point, I'm surprised how rarely they show up in CK2. Maybe they'll finally hang around when we get a gunpowder and naval expansion. *fingerscrossed*

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Hyord posted:

I dont understand why Paradox bumped EU3's start date back to 1399 to appease all the Byzantophiles only to bump it back up to 1444 in EU4.

I seem to recall a post from a dev saying that they regretted moving it to 1399, and were hoping to never move it up again.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Hyord posted:

They actually had the 1399 start all programed in (i.e it has history files and can be modded in very easily), but they cut it out for their own reasons.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Phew, just caught up. What an entertaining read it's been so far! Intrigue, conquest, gardening, excommunication, incest... everything there is to love about CK2, and all within a well written narrative. Love the little shout-out to Jerusalem's Scotsman in Egypt LP there, too.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
When we get to EU4, will we enter the Race to the New World?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Danny Glands posted:

When we get to EU4, will we enter the Race to the New World?

I hope we do! I'll never get tired of renaming Puerto Rico to Nieuw Lübeck!

• Locked thread