Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
This thread is for listing cool upcoming screenings for new and old movies in your area. I live in LA where so many awesome screenings are happening all the time at theaters like The Egyptian, The Aero, The New Beverly, etc. I'll be posting about screenings coming up in LA but please post about other awesome screenings in your area; including old movies, preview screenings, new special screenings, etc.

Things to post here:

-Pulp fiction midnight screening at wherever!

-I have an invite to a preview screening at X theater, here's the invite!

-the MST3K guys are doing a Fathom Event soon!

-Rare screening of Sunrise: A Tale Of Two Humans at The Silent Movie Theater!

-Francis Ford Coppola screening interactive movie, Twixt!

-Etc.

All posts for screenings should end in an exclamation point. If it doesn't deserve an exclamation point, you shouldn't post it here. Try to include the following information:

Movie:
Price:
Why you should see it:

Also feel free to post reports on awesome screenings you just saw. Unless it violates an NDA or something. (I just saw a preview screening of Maleficent, wish I could tell you about it, but i guess you'll see for yourself in July.)

SquareDog fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
Reserved post.

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
The AFI Film Fest starts this weekend! All tickets are free! you can get your tickets here.

The "gala" screenings are the most sought-after and at this point unavailable. Stuff like The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty, Inside Llewen davis, Nebraska, ect. However there are plenty of other cool screenings available.

I have tickets for:
- The Wind Rises Myazaki's latest.
- The Green Inferno Eli Roth's new 70's style cannibal exploitation movie.
- The Fake A Korean animation movie that is rumored to be nominated for the Academy award this year.
- Charlie Victor Romeo A 3D reenactment of actual black box recordings from several doomed commercial flights.
- The Court Jester One of the best comedies ever made, starring Danny Kaye, made in 1955.
- The Congress Follow-up of the director of Waltz With Bashir, semi-animated Being John Malkovich style meta-narrative about Robin Wright selling her entire likeness to a company that stores the consciousness' of celebrities.
- The Sacrement Director Ti West's new horror movie about a journalist who gets in too deep with a Jim Jones type cult.
- Nothing Bad Can Happen A guy joins a fundamentalist Christian group but finds that they are totally unhinged.

Plus many more! Supposedly a few Gala screening tickets are released at random times of the day, try your luck, Check it out!

SquareDog fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Nov 6, 2013

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
Cool upcoming screenings at the New Beverly Cinema in LA!

http://www.newbevcinema.com/

Tickets are $8, double features are two movies for the price of one.

November 6th and 7th: Park Chan-Wook double feature, Oldboy and Lady Vengance. See the new Korean classics before the American version of OldBoy by Spike Lee comes out!
November 10th: Road trip double feature: Film classic, Paper Moon, and new release by Alexander Payne, Nebraska. Paper moon is a about a con-man who forms an unlikely partnership with a little girl who may be his daughter. Nebraska is about a drunken Man played by Nick Nolte who travels across the country to Nebraska with his estranged son played by Nick Nolte in order to claim a million dollar Mega Sweepstakes Marketing prize!
November 15th: Midnight screening of Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World. You haven't seen this movie? WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH YOU? I went last month and Mary Elizabeth Winstead showed up!

SquareDog fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Nov 7, 2013

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
Playing at the Egyptian or The Aero theaters!

Tickets are $11, double features are two movies for the price of one.

http://www.americancinemathequecalendar.com/

At The Egyptian!

Nov. 7th: Chinatown, one of the most classic Film Noir, starring Jack Nicholson, directed by Roman Polansky.
Nov. 15th: The Godfather, duh!
Nov. 16th: Edgar Wright triple feature! Shaun Of The Dead, Hot Fuzz, and The World's End. Missed The World's End? Now's your chance to see it in the theater along with most of Edgar Wrights other movies! SOLD OUT
Nov. 17th: West Side Story. First musical drama. Won Best picture, among other awards!
Nov. 29th: The Shining double feature! The Shining, followed by Room 237, if you are a glutton for punishment. I didn't last 20 minutes in to Room 237 before turning it off.!
Nov. 30th: 2001: A Space Odyssey. They don't say it but they're probably showing it in 70mm, they always do!

At The Aero!

Nov. 27th: John Candy double feature! The best Thankgiving movie ever: Planes, Trains and Automobiles. Followed by Uncle Buck!
Nov. 29th: Singin' In the Rain. Arguably the best musical ever. I saw a screening of this is it was a freaking blast!
Nov. 30th: An American In Paris. Not the best, but certainly the highest grossing movie of Gene Kelly's career, also a classic!

SquareDog fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Nov 7, 2013

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
Preview Screening in LA!

Nov 5th: Here's an invite to a preview screening in Chatworth, CA of a horror movie called Clown, produced by Eli Roth.

"When the birthday clown cancels, Jack’s dad, Kent, dons an old clown suit, unwittingly setting in motion a horrifying personality change. When Kent is overwhelmed by an uncontrollable hunger and murderous impulses, he and his family must figure out how to stop the monstrous transformation, before it’s too late."

Show up and get a free ticket to another movie!

http://surveys.ermresearch.com/s3/9ef95a4432aa

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
Preview Screening in LA!

Nov 7th: Invite to a preview screening in Burbank, CA for an action movie called Non-Stop Starring Liam Neeson being a huge dicked bad-rear end, as usual.

"a suspense thriller played out 40,000 feet in the air. During a transatlantic flight from New York City to London, a U.S. Air Marshal (Neeson) receives a series of cryptic text messages demanding the airline to transfer $150 million into an off-shore account. Until he secures the money, a passenger on his flight will be killed every 20 minutes."

https://secure.mymovieview.com/Panel/Invitation.aspx?StudyNumber=US13114458&EmailAddress=adam@watcinema.com&passid=210&Display=RSVPHere

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nODrjQUR5YU

SquareDog fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Nov 6, 2013

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mother loving ALIENS at the Alamo Drafthouse Littleton Colorado, Nov. 14th. I'm 22, and have been an Alien series fan for a good portion of my life. Even a small child. This is a dream come true for me. I saw Alien last month too, and it was glorious.

Mona Lisa Overdrive
May 7, 2006
Calculus Enthusiast
I also live in the LA area and it is almost impossible to keep up with all the cool screenings around town! Here's one I'm going to tonight for the first uncut release of a crazy 70's film.

Movie: The Visitor
Date: 11/6/2013
Price: $12.00
Why you should see it: Just read the description posted here.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I approve of this thread. Philadelphia is not much of a movie town, but I will be posting screenings as they happen.

I am also okay with this thread being used to organize goon meets.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Excellent thread idea. It gets kinda hard keeping track of all the random rear end screenings in Los Angeles. They do midnight movies at the Nuart Theater in Santa Monica every Friday night, here's their upcoming line-up, copied from their site.

Nuart's website and showtimes
Fri, Nov 8: Maniac Cop 2, director William Lustig in person! Brand new digital transfer!
Fri, Nov 15: Labyrinth, starring David Bowie & Jennifer Connelly! Presented in 35mm!
Fri, Nov 22: Oldboy, 35mm presentation of Park Chan-wook's original!
Fri, Nov 29: Mean Girls, starring Lindsay Lohan.
Fri, Dec 6: Home Alone, starring Macaulay Culkin.
Fri, Dec 13: Batman Returns, directed by Tim Burton. Presented in 35mm!
Fri, Dec 20: National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, starring Chevy Chase.
Fri, Dec 27: North by Northwest, directed by Alfred Hitchcock. Presented in 35mm!
Fri, Jan 3: The Blues Brothers, they're on a mission from God. Presented in 35mm!
Fri, Jan 10: House (Hausu), the Japanese psychedelic horror classic! Presented in 35mm!
Fri, Jan 17: Pitch Perfect, get pitch slapped!
Fri, Jan 24: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, lean, green and on the screen! Presented in 35mm!

And if you live in Chicago, some friends of mine are a part of the Terror in the Aisles screenings at the Patio Theater. They'll be doing a double feature Nov. 30th, screening Dario Argento's Suspiria (Italian horror) along with Gary Schultz' Devil In My Ride (Chicago native done come up). Tickets can be purchased here.

Wyllt
May 6, 2009

Vargo posted:

I approve of this thread. Philadelphia is not much of a movie town, but I will be posting screenings as they happen.

I need this badly in my life. I'm in the city a good amount of the week but since not being from there i'm not too familiar with what theaters to keep and eye on. Any and all screenings you know of would be greatly appreciated!

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
I will do a New York City dump soon and probably stay on top of it, here. I'm always poking around for myself, might as well share the info.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Wyllt posted:

I need this badly in my life. I'm in the city a good amount of the week but since not being from there i'm not too familiar with what theaters to keep and eye on. Any and all screenings you know of would be greatly appreciated!

Philadelphia Update: Starting on Friday, Ritz at the Bourse will be having two showings a day of the final cut of 1973's The Wicker Man

Bryn Mawr Film Institute
Wednesday, December 4th: Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
Wednesday, December 11th: Night of the Hunter

Bryn Mawr also does children's screenings at 11 AM on Saturdays. This month's lineup seems to have a "children's sci-fi" theme, so if you have kids, this is a great opportunity to take them to a really neat theater:
November 9th: The Last Starfighter
November 16th: Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius
November 23rd: E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial
November 30th: The Last Starfighter (again)

Also, I don't know if Google Maps or some other program will allow to do this, but if some goon wants to put in the :effort:, and make some kind of interactive map that can contain this data and be updated and maintained, I will give you modly rewards.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

leokitty posted:

I will do a New York City dump soon and probably stay on top of it, here. I'm always poking around for myself, might as well share the info.

Excited for this. I never know about them until I hear about them afterwards.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Here's some Boston info:

Coolidge Corner Theater - Brookline, MA

Midnight movies:

Nov. 9 - Big Bad Wolves
Nov. 15 & 16 - The Wicker Man
Nov. 22 & 23 - Maniac Cop 2
Dec. 13 & 14 - Team America: World Police
Dec. 20 & 21 - The Nightmare Before Christmas

Special Screenings, Mondays at 7PM:

Nov. 11 - Run Lola Run
Nov. 18 - The Royal Tenenbaums
Dec. 9 - Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

Official site - http://www.coolidge.org/

Brattle Theatre - Cambridge, MA

Nov. 8 - DOUBLE FEATURE: The World's End & This Is The End
Nov. 9 - TRIPLE FEATURE: Before Sunrise, Before Sunset, and Before Midnight
Nov. 12 - Short Term 12
Nov. 15 through 20 - The Pervert's Guide to Ideology
Nov. 15 - They Live
Nov. 16 - Taxi Driver
Nov. 17 - Titanic
Nov. 30 - It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
Dec. 1 & 3 - Raiders of the Lost Ark
Dec. 9 - Blood Simple
Dec. 10 - Raising Arizona
Dec. 11 - Fargo
Dec. 12 - Barton Fink
Dec. 13 - DOUBLE FEATURE: Miller's Crossing & The Man Who Wasn't There
Dec. 14 - DOUBLE FEATURE: O Brother, Where Art Thou? & The Hudsucker Proxy
Dec. 15 - DOUBLE FEATURE: True Grit & No Country For Old Men
Dec. 17 - DOUBLE FEATURE: The Ladykillers & Intolerable Cruelty
Dec. 18 - DOUBLE FEATURE: A Serious Man & Burn After Reading
Dec. 19 - The Big Lebowski
Dec. 20 through 23 - It's A Wonderful Life
Dec. 25 through 30 - Die Hard
Dec. 25 through 30 - The Umbrellas of Cherbourg
Jan. 1 - MARX BROS. MARATHON - A Night at the Opera, Animal Crackers, Horse Feathers, and Duck Soup

Official site and full schedule - http://brattlefilm.org/

Harvard Film Archive - Cambridge, MA

Here's the link to their schedule: http://hcl.harvard.edu/hfa/calendar/november13.html

However, most notable for Goons is probably Nov. 25 - Inland Empire with J. Hoberman in person.

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Nov 7, 2013

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly

Vargo posted:

Philadelphia Update:
Bryn Mawr also does children's screenings at 11 AM on Saturdays. This month's lineup seems to have a "children's sci-fi" theme, so if you have kids, this is a great opportunity to take them to a really neat theater:
November 9th: The Last Starfighter

Oh man I would love to see a screening of this. Life lesson: if you play videogames obsessively, you will get to eventually get to live out the game in real life and everyone will love you.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

TrixRabbi posted:

Here's some Boston info:

Coolidge Corner Theater - Brookline, MA

Midnight movies:

Nov. 9 - Big Bad Wolves
Nov. 15 & 16 - The Wicker Man
Nov. 22 & 23 - Maniac Cop 2
Dec. 13 & 14 - Team America: World Police
Dec. 20 & 21 - The Nightmare Before Christmas

Special Screenings, Mondays at 7PM:

Nov. 11 - Run Lola Run
Nov. 18 - The Royal Tenenbaums
Dec. 9 - Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

Official site - http://www.coolidge.org/

As a note, director William Lustig will be appearing at the screening of Maniac Cop 2 on the 22nd.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

I will work on a Chicago dump for Nov-Dec even though it will be huge.

Vargo posted:

Also, I don't know if Google Maps or some other program will allow to do this, but if some goon wants to put in the :effort:, and make some kind of interactive map that can contain this data and be updated and maintained, I will give you modly rewards.

I will also look into this. I have an idea.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Toronto!

TIFF Bell Lightbox

Nov 21, 9pm - Guillermo Del Toro will do an introduction to Cronenberg's Eastern Promises with a post-screening discussion with Del Toro and Cronenberg himself!
http://tiff.net/filmsandschedules/tiffbelllightbox/2013/2550011791

Rendezvous With Madness Film Festival

Lots of films dealing with the issues surrounding mental illness - opening gala is Nov 11 with Short Term 12
http://www.rendezvouswithmadness.com/index.php/films-a-z/

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

CelticPredator posted:

Mother loving ALIENS at the Alamo Drafthouse Littleton Colorado, Nov. 14th. I'm 22, and have been an Alien series fan for a good portion of my life. Even a small child. This is a dream come true for me. I saw Alien last month too, and it was glorious.

I wish this thread was around like two years ago when Aliens was screening locally with a Q&A with Lance Henricksen to promote the just-then-released Blu Ray. I found out about it the day after it happened :(

MystOpportunity
Jun 27, 2004
I won't bother with Chicago too much, because these guys already do such a good job: http://cine-file.info/

Skewed a bit towards high-brown stuff, but does a great job of rounding up the larger independent movie houses and some of the smaller programs each week.

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
Speaking of the AFI fest I listed above, there are two screenings for most of the movies, the ones I will be at are as follows. I'll be attending some of them with the forum's own Brandon Hardesty, and the rest with another friend. If anyone wants to join, PM me.

FRI 8th - 6:00 - The Wind Rises
-12:00 (midnight) The Green Inferno
SAT 9th - 1:00 - The Fake
- 4:00 - Charlie Victor Romeo
SUN 10th - 12:00 (noon) - The Court Jester
- 7:30 - The Congress
MON 11th - 10:30 PM - The Sacrament
TUE 12th - 6:45 - Nothing Bad Can Happen

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

As a note, director William Lustig will be appearing at the screening of Maniac Cop 2 on the 22nd.

Hey, as someone who wasn't able to attend the Coolidge Halloween marathon this year, can you reveal what the rest of the movies were after Psycho and Texas Chainsaw Massacre? I'm really curious.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Hey, as someone who wasn't able to attend the Coolidge Halloween marathon this year, can you reveal what the rest of the movies were after Psycho and Texas Chainsaw Massacre? I'm really curious.

Psycho (1960)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
13 Ghosts (1960)
The House by the Cemetery (1981)
Near Dark (1987)
Brain Damage (1988)

Also, update - Run, Lola, Run next Monday is sold out.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

Psycho (1960)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
13 Ghosts (1960)
The House by the Cemetery (1981)
Near Dark (1987)
Brain Damage (1988)

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

I can pretty much never make it to midnight shows at the Coolidge and it bums me out. That also makes it twice that I missed seeing Near Dark on the big screen in the past month.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

New York - 11/7-11/10

I am gonna do weekly updates starting Sunday but I figured I'd start off with a quick post for this weekend since it's rapidly approaching. I'll do a "here are the series at venues" things too. But since it's Thursday I didn't want to wait too long.

This is revivals only for this round, I'm not sure I can keep up with all the new releases in town with places like the Quad and Cinema Village but if I see anything I think should be noted I'll list it.

Anthology Film Archives
On 2nd and 2nd, you've probably walked by the building. It's a library/archive first that does screenings.

11/8 - Horror Express - 9:15p
11/9 - Night of the Seagulls - 7p

Film Forum
The Freshman is showing 11/8-11/14.
11/7 - Last day for Herzog's Nosferatu! - 1:30p, 3:30p, 5:30p, 7:30p, 9:30p

Film Society of Lincoln Center
The Peter Mettler series starts this weekend. Here's the schedule:

11/8 - Picture of Light - 2:30p
11/8 - Eastern Avenue + Petropolis - 4:30p
11/8 - Gambling, Gods, and LSD - 7:00p
11/9 - The End of Time - 6:30p - Preview showing
11/10 - Balifilm + Plastikman + Mixxa Excerpts - 6:30p
11/10 - Picture of Light - 9p

They're also showing The General 11/9 and 11/10 at 11am.

IFC Film Center
11/7-11/10 - Night of the Living Dead - 10:15pm (& 12:20am Fri, Sat, Sun)

Museum of the Moving Image
In Astoria! Admission gets you into a movie, they seat first come first serve. They're currently finishing up The Complete Howard Hawks.

11/9 - Rio Lobo - 2p
11/10 - Gentleman Prefer Blondes - 4:30p
11/10 - Museum of the Moving Image - The Big Sky - 7p

Nitehawk Cinema
I've never been here because they haven't shown anything I can't see that is a shorter trip from where I live, but it's a very popular place I think?

11/9 & 11/10 - The Landlord - 11:45am
11/9 & 11/10 - Mean Girls - 12p
11/9 & 11/10 - Battle Royale - Midnight Movie

Sunshine Cinema
11/8 & 11/9 - Clueless - Midnight Movie

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

ThetaOmnikron posted:

I won't bother with Chicago too much, because these guys already do such a good job: http://cine-file.info/

Skewed a bit towards high-brown stuff, but does a great job of rounding up the larger independent movie houses and some of the smaller programs each week.

That's pretty cool, but goddamn is that site a chore to navigate.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

The Bow Tie Cinema in New Haven runs Insomnia Theatre fvery Friday and Saturday night at 11:30

November
11/08-11/09: The Big Lebowski
11/15-11/16: Adventures in Babysitting
11/22-11/23: Beverly Hills Cop
11/29-11/30: The Goonies

December
12/06-12/07: The Warriors
12/13-12/14: A Christmas Story
12/20-12/21: It's a Wonderful Life (1946)
12/27-12/28: Clue

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The Visitor is also showing at the IFC Center in New York. Midnight showing Friday/Saturday/Sunday. Just, well, you know how Italian ripoff movies would have elements of both The Terminator and Mad Max in them because those were awesome? This movie is like that but a mash-up of seventies ghost and alien movies. The Omen and Close Encounters of the Third Kind happening simultaneously.

Just to be clear on why it's a must see, this is a psychedelic Italian movie from 1979 where an intergalactic warrior and Jesus have to work together to stop a possessed girl from destroying the world with evil and her flock of birds that attack on command!

http://www.ifccenter.com/films/the-visitor/

Fri, Nov 8 at: 12:15 AM
Sat, Nov 9 at: 12:15 AM
Sun, Nov 10 at: 12:15 AM

Act fast!

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

SquareDog posted:

The AFI Film Fest starts this weekend! All tickets are free! you can get your tickets here.

I got all excited until I realized it was the Hollywood AFI, not the one in Silver Spring :smith:

AFI Silver gets some good events though, like their annual summer Totally Awesome 80s series.

For upcoming stuff there's the European Union Showcase coming up in December 5-22:

AFI Silver Springs, MD posted:

Highlights of the 2013 AFI European Union Film Showcase:

Opening Night: WALESA. MAN OF HOPE (2013 Oscar Selection, Poland).

Special Presentations: GRAND PIANO (Spain), LE WEEK-END (UK), THE CHEF (France), ONE CHANCE (UK) and CHILD'S POSE (2013 Oscar Selection, Romania).

Closing Night: ALAN PARTRIDGE (UK)

PLUS: THE INVISIBLE WOMAN (UK), THE PAST (France; 2013 Oscar Selection, Iran), CYCLING WITH MOLIERE (France), SALVO (Italy), THE PRIEST'S CHILDREN (Croatia), LA MAISON DE LA RADIO (France), MOTHER, I LOVE YOU (2013 Oscar Selection, Latvia) and WE ARE THE BEST! (Sweden).

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
The Wind Rises was great, pretty much exactly what I expected from Miyazaki.

The Green Inferno was fun, pretty much exactly what I expected from Eli Roth. Eli Roth and the principles were there, as well as Quinten Tarantino and Marilyn Manson. He raised his hands a couple times during Q&A to take the piss, asking stuff like "Was that your real dick?" Yeah, also one of the actresses seemed like she was rolling or something, waaaaay too excited.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Screenings for Edmonton, AB!

I'm going to list a bunch of classics that are screening at Metro Cinema or any of the Cineplexes in Edmonton. I don't know how many Edmontonians frequent this board (I know you are all on SA, I see you and we are a very quiet bunch) but I'll list. I haven't been to any recent Metro screenings, I only went to ones that used to be at the Citadel Theatre downtown, but those I did see were well worth it and had a hot crowd for the most cultish showings. Cineplex, granted a major theatre chain, is also worthwhile when they screen a really good classic. I will never forget that Terminator/Robocop double feature that I saw at Cineplex. I'll list until year's end because Metro doesn't have December yet and Cineplex usually announces a classic screening like a month or two before.

Metro Cinema (8712-109th Street)

11/10 - Godzilla 2000 - 4pm
11/10 - Fight Club - 9pm
11/11 - Dr. Strangelove - 4pm
11/20 - Forrest Gump - 6:45pm
11/21 - Masters of the Universe (Turkey Shoot) - 9:30pm
11/26 - JFK - 9pm

Cineplex Scotiabank Theatre (West Edmonton Mall)

11/25 - The Big Lebowski - 7pm
11/27 - The Big Lebowski - 9:30pm
12/5 - Die Hard - 7pm
12/11 - Die Hard - 7pm

Cineplex Odeon North Edmonton (14231-137th Avenue)

11/30 - How to Train Your Dragon - 11am
12/8 - Holiday Inn - 12:45pm
12/18 - Holiday Inn - 7pm
12/21 - The Grinch (2000) - 11am
12/23 - Holiday Inn - 7pm

Cineplex Odeon South Edmonton (1525-99th Street)

11/25 - The Big Lebowski - 7pm
11/27 - The Big Lebowski - 9:30pm
11/30 - How to Train Your Dragon - 11am
12/5 - Die Hard - 7pm
12/11 - Die Hard - 7pm
12/8 - Holiday Inn - 12:45pm
12/18 - Holiday Inn - 7pm
12/21 - The Grinch (2000) - 11am
12/23 - Holiday Inn - 7pm

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
Guys. I saw The Congress tonight. Wow. It was an unforgettable transcendent cinema experience. Possibly the best thing I've seen this year. Amazing. Fantastic commentary on where we're headed in our minds as a species.

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
Mystery Preview Screening Tonight!

Got an invite to a preview screening that will pay you $15 for attending!

Tonight at 7:30 at Pacific Winnetka 21
9201 Winnetka Avenue, Chatsworth, CA 91311

They won't say what it is except that it's a horror movie from a major studio that will likely be rated PG-13.

This is all probably a bad sign but you never know.

http://www.previewfreemovies.com/Default.aspx?tabid=1339

tehspiekguy
Aug 13, 2002
Press X to flip tehspiekguy
If anyone lives in the Raleigh, NC area, the Colony Theater on Six Forks is running their "A Very Kubrick Holiday Season" starting with:

A Clockwork Orange
November 20 at 7:30

and later showing

Dr. Strangelove or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
on December 18 at 7:30

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Sorry for slacking, week was busier than I thought. Here's the weekend and then I'll try to get up a rest of November post.

Sokurov's Faust is opening up only two years after it premiered at Venice, showing both at the Film Forum and the Walter Reade (Film Society of Lincoln Theater).

General Weekend
Film Forum - Bruce Webber programming, full info here: http://www.filmforum.org/movies/more/bruce_weber

Friday

9pm - Shanghai Express - Anthology Film Archive

Saturday

3pm, 6pm, 9:45pm - Coming Home
6pm - Life of Oharu - The Japan Society

Sunday

1:30pm & 7pm - Marnie - Brooklyn Academy of Music

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
LA Preview Screening!

UPDATE: They'll pay you $20 to attend! They must be hard up for attendees. See updated link below.

Get a free early look at Paul W.S. Anderson's latest potential abomination, Pompeii. This Wednesday, the 20th at 6:00.

Edwards Long Beach Stadium 26
7501 E. Carson Blvd, Long Beach, CA 90808

Set in 79 A.D. at the height of the Roman Empire, POMPEII is a city that is destroyed by the eruption of Mount Vesuvius. Before the destruction, we meet Milo (Kit Harington), an undefeated gladiator slave who catches the eye of Cassia, daughter to a wealthy merchant; the two instantly find themselves powerless to their attraction to each other. Meanwhile, most people in the city are too consumed by the festivities leading up to a huge gladiator competition to notice warning signs from the normally dormant neighboring volcano, Mt. Vesuvius. The citizens of Pompeii are packed into the city’s coliseum watching Milo fight a gruesome battle to the death when Mt. Vesuvius erupts, sending a violent flood of molten lava toward Pompeii. Milo must fight his way out of the crumbling arena in order to save Cassia. Every minute counts for Milo, Cassia, and the citizens of Pompeii, if they want to survive one of the greatest natural disasters of all time.

Teaser trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWDVBQkBBoE

Follow the link to get tickets:
http://www.previewfreemovies.com/Default.aspx?tabid=80&mode=validate&pw=HLC545&rc=PFM

SquareDog fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 19, 2013

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Anthology Film Archive (2nd and 2nd in Manhattan) is continuing their Middle Ages on Film series with Shakespeare adaptions, starting tomorrow.

Lawrence Olivier
HENRY V
November 20 at 6:30 PM
November 25 at 9:15 PM
November 29 at 6:30 PM

Roman Polanski
MACBETH (POLANSKI)
November 20 at 9:15 PM
November 24 at 6:15 PM
November 30 at 8:30 PM

Orson Welles
MACBETH (WELLES)
November 21 at 6:45 PM
November 24 at 9:00 PM

Akira Kurosawa
THRONE OF BLOOD
November 21 at 9:15 PM
November 24 at 3:45 PM
December 1 at 5:30 PM

Orson Welles
CHIMES AT MIDNIGHT
November 22 at 6:45 PM

William Dieterle & Max Reinhardt
A MIDSUMMER NIGHT’S DREAM
November 22 at 9:15 PM
November 25 at 6:30 PM
November 26 at 7:30 PM

Akira Kurosawa
RAN
November 23 at 3:00 PM
November 30 at 5:15 PM
December 1 at 8:00 PM

Peter Brook
KING LEAR (PETER BROOK)
November 23 at 6:15 PM
November 27 at 9:15 PM
November 29 at 9:15 PM

Grigori Kozintsev
KING LEAR (KOZINTSEV)
November 23 at 9:00 PM
November 27 at 6:30 PM

Bela Tarr
MACBETH (BELA TARR)
November 24 at 2:00 PM
December 1 at 3:45 PM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

The Museum of the Moving Image is continuing their Great Cinematographers series on Friday. GO see the Conformist for me because I can't make it (going to see the Welles Macbeth at Anthology).

Here's the full schedule of what's left (started 11/4 with I'm Not There):

The Conformist
Friday, November 22, 7:00 p.m.

Sweet Smell of Success
Friday, December 6, 7:00 p.m.

La Collectionneuse
Saturday, December 7, 1:30 p.m.

My Night at Maud’s (Ma Nuit Chez Maud)
Saturday, December 7, 3:30 p.m.

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Rob…
Saturday, December 7, 6:00 p.m.

The Marriage of Maria Braun
Sunday, December 8, 4:00 p.m.

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Rob…
Sunday, December 8, 7:00 p.m.

The Big Combo
Friday, December 13, 7:00 p.m.

Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du commerce, 1080 Bruxelle…
Saturday, December 14, 2:00 p.m.

Down by Law
Sunday, December 15, 2:00 p.m.

The Night of the Hunter
Sunday, December 15, 4:30 p.m.

Suspiria
Sunday, December 15, 7:00 p.m.

Children of Men
Friday, December 20, 7:00 p.m.

How Green Was My Valley
Saturday, December 21, 3:00 p.m.

Empire of the Sun